Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TEENY-TINY TYPE  (Read 2768 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TEENY-TINY TYPE
« on: October 17, 2021, 12:06:54 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were not in teeny-tiny type, and now it is time for you to post until the teeny-tiny cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: TEENY-TINY TYPE
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 12:09:27 AM »

And the word of the day is: PERSPICACITY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 12:10:40 AM »

And George can bring TCB along and I'll just bet we could coerce traveler Jane to come, too. Wouldn't that be FUN? Next show, December 12!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 12:10:51 AM »

And I don't care who knows it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 04:04:29 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 04:06:48 AM »

BK, it's none of my business but, since we keep hearing about it, sack the helper and her mother and hire someone good. I will now butt out.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 04:08:47 AM »

DR singdaw, I'll have what you're having for Halloween, only I want the entire lousy family - from idiot and crooked children to an apathetic "fuck Christmas" wife - in there with him.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 04:10:47 AM »

I had a horrid night of sleep but faithful Thatch stayed with me. I had many dreams, none of which except for the last I remember. In that one I was working once again at the Drama Book Shop.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 04:11:48 AM »

I have three bills I need to pay today since my Social security lands on Wednesday and I will then have the funds to pay them.

ChasSmith

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 06:00:13 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 06:06:27 AM »

I have little to report on this Sunday morning.

The storm last night was, thankfully, nothing, at least right here in this area. Just a lot of rain. But the weather has turned, and now we're in Autumn with a capital A. Today's high is 62, tomorrow's is 57, then it returns to the high 60s. And those leaves will be falling now, and it'll be time for me to be out there trying to keep up with it.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 06:07:57 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 06:08:36 AM »

I despise the teeny-tiny type.

But along with it, in printed material and online, I despise the light gray on white design of what is invariably more teeny-tiny type. It's an insane trend.

John G.

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 06:08:42 AM »

Our fall weather is only a few days. It’ll be in the upper 80s by Wednesday.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 06:11:08 AM »

Count me among the tiny type haters. I had to take a class for work Friday. When I increased the point size of the content, it had a reverse effect on the directional text, which reduced to something like 2 point. Most irritating.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 06:13:08 AM »

Had weird Merchant Ivory dreams last night. I was working on one of their costume dramas and the actors didn’t want to look the period.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 06:14:51 AM »

May have been inspired by the extras where Ivory kept saying Lee Remick fought the corsets and kept trying to slip in some eye makeup.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 06:23:27 AM »

From Slipped Disc:

"News has been shared of the death of the pianist Cecilia Brauer, older sister of the Met's veteran concertmaster Raymond Gniewek, who died two weeks ago. Cecilia, who joined the Met in 1972, was in her 90s. She was an enthusiastic performer of Benjamin Franklin's invention, the glass harmonica."

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2021, 06:55:59 AM »

Her name certainly sounded familiar, but I don't know what context I would have heard it in. Does house pianist mean rehearsal pianist, or pianist in the orchestra? I'm thinking the latter, but maybe it means all of that and more. I wonder if she played glass harmonica in one of the more modern-day operas.

KevinH

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2021, 07:05:55 AM »

Good morning!

KevinH

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2021, 07:06:55 AM »

I'd love to attend a get-together of HHWers!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2021, 07:08:04 AM »

Her name certainly sounded familiar, but I don't know what context I would have heard it in. Does house pianist mean rehearsal pianist, or pianist in the orchestra? I'm thinking the latter, but maybe it means all of that and more. I wonder if she played glass harmonica in one of the more modern-day operas.

She would have played it in Die Frau ohne Schatten and possibly in Lucia di Lammermour.
http://www.operavivra.com/blog/glass-harmonicas-opera/

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2021, 07:48:31 AM »

Hello everyone....there's a brand new Broadway Radio Show posted on this here wonderful website. This edition is New Releases for Fall 2021 -- 12 new theatre related albums for your listening pleasure....lots of cast recordings & vocalists.  As always, I also include purchase links in case you hear something you'd like to add to your collection!

http://www.haineshisway.com/the-broadway-radio-show-2/
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2021, 07:54:09 AM »

Continued computer and helper vibes for MR BK!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2021, 07:56:15 AM »

Interesting Frances Farmer article from DR JOHN G yesterday.  i didn't realize the clip of her second appearance on Ed Sullivan was on line!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2021, 08:12:00 AM »

I heard from an old school friend the other day. He was throwing out stuff and came across a photograph that he thought would have involved me, and he asked if I'd like to have it. I certainly did, and he mailed it to me.

While waiting for it to arrive, I realized how few photos I have from my college years -- not just of me, but of anyone or anything I was involved with. Like, practically none. How could that be? Well, I thought about it, and can only say that during those years, I had no camera at school with me and I just wasn't in a picture taking mode. That was the case with almost everyone I knew. If there was a photo of a concert or something, it would have been something the local newspaper published, or one the school had used in its catalogs or other publicity. In short, to say that the photographic evidence in those days was nothing like it is today would be the understatement of the millennium.

That's why even the surfacing of this photo meant something. It's a Polaroid on heavy card stock that had survived the years by being kept in a box. The friend had snapped it while visiting and observing a rehearsal at Meadow Brook, the summer music festival at Oakland University in Michigan, in June 1969.

I think you can click to enlarge.

The young James Levine is conducting. I'm standing in back, second from right, playing something in the percussion section (don't remember what) in Pictures at an Exhibition. At first I thought I was the one on chimes, but I think not in that piece. (Must investigate. I have a recording of the concert a few days later, and that might jog my memory.) I know all who were there, but they're hard to pick out. Lynn Harrell, cellist, is visible. Michael Ouzounian, later principal violist at the Met, is in there. Jorja Fleezanis, future concertmaster of the Minnesota Orchestra, is on the second desk behind Tania Rudensky, concertmaster here who later married Met baritone Cornell MacNeil. Two players who in 2017 achieved notoriety re their personal histories with Levine, are present. And so it goes. Interesting times. I only wish I had a hundred such photos.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:15:57 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2021, 08:12:33 AM »

She would have played it in Die Frau ohne Schatten and possibly in Lucia di Lammermour.
http://www.operavivra.com/blog/glass-harmonicas-opera/

Thank you!

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2021, 08:18:52 AM »

Here she is with Lucia. This is wonderful info.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/05/arts/music/05glas.html

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:24:00 AM by ChasSmith »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2021, 08:49:36 AM »

From John:
Turns out it's next Saturday.

:o

;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2021, 08:51:30 AM »

From TCB:

Oh, back to lunch today.  It was really wonderful.  My sister has been sober for fourteen months and my brother-Ian-law has been sober for three months!

Absolutely wonderful.  Vibes they continue being sober.  I know your niece was also pleased.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up