Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAST MAY DAY  (Read 19119 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE LAST MAY DAY
« on: May 30, 2005, 11:59:41 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what's what and who's who and when's when, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - right now they're in parts unknown, crying "Mayday, Mayday."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 11:58:27 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE LAST MAY DAY
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 12:00:46 AM »

And the word of the day is: CONTUMELY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 12:11:11 AM »

You're all staring at my this, aren't you?

And now - Dino at the piano.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 12:11:32 AM »

CONTUMELY, baby, CONTUMELY!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 12:17:55 AM »

I have never heard of the word "CONTUMELY," nor have I ever heard of the show "The Selling of the President," which is the answer to the Unseemly Trivia Contest.  How do you winners find the answer??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 12:18:58 AM »

You're all staring at my this, aren't you?

I prefer to stare at your that, actually. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 12:21:04 AM »

As to the Topic of the Day:  I usually take it.  I don't think I've ever gotten mad enough to yell at someone, or even talk sternly to them...behind their back, yes, but not to their face (that I can remember).  I have fantasized about telling someone off, but by the time it actually gets to confronting someone about whatever "it" is, I can't remember what I was going to say.  I hate it when that happens. :-\

Also, I can't hold a grudge.  I've never been able to.  After time, I just let it go.  I may not ever have respect for someone, or I may try to avoid having to work with someone (especially in local theater tryouts), but I just can't hold on to that kind of hate...or even dislike.  Sometimes I feel like it's a curse.  I want to yell at someone, but I can't (a Little Shop of Horrors reference).  Maybe someday.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 12:21:50 AM »

I keep waiting for "flaucinauciniliphication" to be the word of the day.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 12:26:19 AM »

I'm up.  Why?

Because I can't breathe.  Why?

Because I spent the entire weekend cleaning the apartment.  Why?

Because I wanted to deep-down clean the carpets using my new Hoover Steam Vac.  Why?

Because my carpets haven't been properly cleaned in nearly 8 years.

To clean carpet in my apartment means moving everything around...unplugging everything and relocating it...and then cleaning...and then waiting for it to dry...and then doing the edges and wiping down walls for dust...and then moving things back...and then moving other things and doing it all over again to get every square foot.

And I've stirred up so much dust that my sinuses simply cannot handle it any more.  Now that I'm virtually done, my sinuses have crapped out on me.

I cannot breathe, I'm telling you.  And my only recourse is to sit up and try to relax my breathing and to be calm.

So I'm sitting here typing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 12:27:05 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 12:29:29 AM »

CONTUMELY is a wonderful word.  Wonderful enough that Mr. Noel Coward used it in a lyric for After the Ball.  Vinnie and I were laughing all day and using it whenever we could.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 12:30:21 AM »

I'm quite tired, and yet I quite don't feel like going to bed yet.  That is what is known as a conundrum.

George

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 12:38:34 AM »

I'm also quite tired, but I DO feel like going to bed.  FINALLY (after a very uncomforable weekend of house-sitting), I get to sleep in my own bed!

Goodnight, all! ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 12:45:55 AM »

Well, I think I shall toddle off to the bedroom environment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 01:07:21 AM »

Why am I up?  I am glad MR BK thought BLACK TIGHT KILLERS was wacky fun.  I certainly agree and thought the production design and color photography were wonderfully Psycho-delic.

Nobody but NOBODY can come busting out like Miss June (You too can have a lovely bust) Wilkinson - whose ads in the back of movie magazines probably made more money for Mark Eden than she ever did for any producer of one of her movies.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 01:11:52 AM »

Hmmmm.....well I used to get angry at people.  I used to spend time on grudges and fighting back.

And then - and it took me a LONG time to realize this - that these are all such a waste of ENERGY.   And so, if someone is rude or does something hurtful to me - and it happens now and then - I remove myself from said person.  Not in an obvious or obnoxious way, but I have no more contact with him/her than is necessary or accidental.

There have been a few people like that, and I am better off without them.  And I am sure they are happier without me in their lives as well.

How nice for you, how nice for Eve, how nice for everybody.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 01:33:23 AM »

Re: the TOD.  I'll always confront the person on any injury I think has been done me.  I expect redress and/or apology.  If the injury is serious enough, even if I forgive, I never forget.  

There are those incidences where the breach is such, that no redress or apology is sufficient.  I am a Capricorn.  We do not look at revenge so much as revenge, but rather sternly regard it as simple justice.  

While I do not let things eat at me, nor do I actively seek or plot revenge, if an opportunity arrives to undermine, discredit, and expose someone who has wronged me, I won't pass it by.  I won't do this through any underhanded means.  I'll do it openly and straight-on by speaking the truth about my experience with them.   I have no qualms about exposing someone who has wronged me and expressing my low regard for them.

I cannot think of any incidence where someone has broke with me or grievously hurt me and mine in which they were ever absolved and let back in my good graces.  Life is too short and my life too rich with genuine friends and likeable acquaintances to give disappointments second chances.

But by the same token, I am very accepting of most of my friends' weaknesses and flaws and do not put undue expectations on certain aspects of their nature.  

There is a great line, spoken by Don DeFore in a terrific Joel McCrea Western called RAMROD, where the femme fatale, Veronica Lake, says:  "You don't like anything about me, do you?"  Defore replies: "You're all right.  You're like a horse or a dog or a man or any other woman.  Once I understand you, you're all right."

That's me.  I'm fairly low-key and easy-going and will accept a pal's shortcomings as long as he or she brings more joy and loyalty into my life than grief and distrust.  But once you break your shovel with me, you don't want me for an enemy because, while I won't necessarily be an overt enemy, I'm a very patient one with a long memory who knows how to savour his moment.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 01:41:44 AM by Charles Pogue »

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 02:31:25 AM »

Tokyo is rainy and my not-favorite season, the rain season, is coming here in Tokyo before long. :-\

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2005, 02:39:14 AM »

DR DANISE, thank you for lovely photos and would like to know what kind of plant the Desert Rose belongs to. Seems to be a sort of cactus, since its own name is “Desert rose” and the leaves look like so. The flower is pretty, isn’t it? :)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2005, 02:48:34 AM »

I watched Mystic River on WOWOW last night and enjoyed it. For some reason, I feel some different mood from other American(Hollywood) movies. I don’t know why and/or which scene and/or what character made me so…I just felt some very complicated and profound anger of human-beings. Painful but nice film, I think.

Danise

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2005, 03:44:45 AM »

It’s raining!  It’s pouring! I wish that I was snoring!

Am I glad that I ride the bus!  I wouldn't want to drive in this mess.

Good morning all—I wish you a dry and safe day!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2005, 03:47:31 AM »

DR DANISE, thank you for lovely photos and would like to know what kind of plant the Desert Rose belongs to. Seems to be a sort of cactus, since its own name is “Desert rose” and the leaves look like so. The flower is pretty, isn’t it? :)
Thank you, DR Hisaka.

I'm not sure why it is called a "Desert Rose" but I agree that it is pretty.   :)

It does seem to get along well with our Florida heat.

Forget about the Run For The Roses, Danise has to run for the bus!  ;)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2005, 04:04:37 AM »

Good morning, DRHisaka!  I'm starting to feel chipper again, and today's my attempt to resume my ordinary weekly schedule.  I have my fingers crossed/

DRJRand54, I picked up LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA yesterday, and I've just put it on the CD player.

DRGeorge, there is a glorious song "Someday" in Friml's THE VAGABOND KING.  Also, "it says so in the script" is a ME AND JULIET reference ("It's Me" verse).

DRRonPulliam, I hope your sinuses and allergies are on the mend.  I hope you have something in your medicine cabinet to help you out.

TOD:  I've been a grudge holder, and much to my chagrin, I've seen several friends die before any sort of truce could attempted.  My usual theory is this:  kick me once and I'll forgive you; kick me after that and rot in hell.  If I feel I've wronged someone, there's nothing I won't try to make amends.  A few years ago, I accidentally offended one of the new "theatre composers" that AMERICAN THEATRE fauns over by not raving outrageously over one of his new songs.  He'd been telling me how fantastic it was, and when he played it and sang it, I thought "once again, every note of the scale in every chord and not much of a tune," which I didn't say, but he later - repeatedly - asked me what I thought of his new song.  Finally, I said I thought it was nice, but I wanted to say "sometimes a C chord is all you need."  After that, he never returned my calls, no matter how many overtures I made.  I did what I could, and I'm sorry the friendship is over, but bruised egos are the worst to repair.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2005, 04:46:24 AM »

'morning!  I'm here early - I work 12-9 today, but have to take DS Rob back to UC after his fun weekend home to celebrate HS graduation with 4 of his friends.

TOD - I'm a "flight, not fight" kind of person.  From time to time, though, I find myself being the sounding board for both sides of a conflict.  Someone told me once that, professionally, I'd make a good mediator, but being in that role just makes my hands break out.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2005, 04:53:36 AM »

con·tu·me·ly Pronunciation (knt-m-l, -ty-, -tm-l) noun; plural-con·tu·me·lies

1. Rudeness or contempt arising from arrogance; insolence.

2. An insolent or arrogant remark or act.

[From the Middle English contumelie, from Old French, from Latin contumlia; akin to contumx, insolent.]

I am back at work and already slightly confused. I looked for a column I usually read in the Monday on-line version of the paper (the New York Times) and then realized it was Tuesday and that I had read it in the paper YESTERDAY when I bought a copy and read it over breakfast at the Diner!!! It may be a long week.

I have learned over the years to try and let things go. I am not always successful but I'm getting better at it. It really isn't worth my time to spend energy getting angry and holding grudges. I do have a temper (which very few people have seen) and can have an outburst that would surprise many people, but I have learned to keep that part under control. Getting angry is one thing but screaming outburst aren't worth the time anymore.

Off to work. Later, gaters.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2005, 06:13:51 AM »

Crap!  I sent all the correct answers to the Unseemly Trivia Contest Saturday night and I was aghast when I did not see my name amongst the winners this morning.  I was about to demand--demand, I tell you!--an apology.  

However, I just double checked to see that I sent it out to the correct address and found that I had left off the ".com".  So when the e-mail did bounce back, I gave it no thought since BK said that that might happen.

Grrrrr.  Stupid cut and paste!  Stupid!  Stupid!  Stupid!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2005, 06:52:29 AM »

TOD: It depends on the situation.  I used to have outbursts but now I tend to complain bitterly to someone who cares and then let it go.  if it is someone whom I can walk away from then I do.

This is actually a very timely topic for me as there has been some unpleastaness in my troop.  The person who dropped the troop in my lap and whose child has been  giving mine some grief has now managed to cause a schism in the troop.  I am the only mother in the troop who works full time, I am also the only one of the ones who do work who doesn't work right in town, in fact I have a 60 mile round trip commute every day.  Other people who said they would be available to help here and there would mysteriously  'forget" to show up.  This weekend has been the last straw so I have resigned as leader, and am araranging to have the Vixter transferred to another troop.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2005, 06:53:21 AM »

DR elmore, I am very glad that you are feeling better.

~~~~Continued Healing Vibes ~~~~
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2005, 07:03:37 AM »

I take the high road, and I don't normally hold a grudge, but I won't stick around a person who treats me or others badly. I am very easy going. Of course there may be situations in which something would need to be done or said in response to a person's negative actions towards others but I always try to act like a mature adult, and I don't let too many things bother me...and in the rare instances that they do bother me I just call a buddy and gripe about it! LOL!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 07:23:49 AM by MBarnum »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2005, 07:16:55 AM »

Sorry to read about your sinuses, DR Ron. Hope you get some relief and can function. How awful to be afflicted with this problem! I realize how lucky I am not to be bothered by these things.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2005, 07:19:37 AM »

My reaction to being treated contumely depends entirely on the circumstances and personnel involved. I'd be willing to give a real friend a little slack.

However, I have to admit that though I don't got for redress, I also never forget and if the slight is serious enough, I never trust that person again, never put myself in a position where he can hurt me again. Oh, I won't make any outward show of disgust or mistrust, but I know in my heart that the person is the dregs and I wouldn't lift a finger to help him ever.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up