Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I RAISE  (Read 14563 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:I RAISE
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2005, 12:39:07 PM »

Finally got around to watching the season finale to LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT. John Dossett was the top billed guest star and he was marvelous. And, oh, to see those lustrous blue eyes of his in high definition is a sight to see, "a sight for sore eyes," so to speak  :)

Michelle Pawk is one lucky lady.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2005, 12:39:14 PM »

Thank you, Matt H, I am glad to know that your show is going well, despite all the cast problems.  Friday night crowds are always a little strange.  Too much rushing to get from work, I imagine.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 12:41:06 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2005, 12:40:14 PM »

Continued with 8 1/2, but due to the film's length, still have about 20 minutes more of it to view. The transfer, as I think I said before, is VERY impressive.

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2005, 12:43:52 PM »

Thank you, Matt H, I am glad to know that your show is going well, despite all the cast problems.  Friday night crowds are always a little strange.  Too much rushing to get from work I imagine.

Last night, the father of the young actress who came in one week before we opened to play Anne (she's a NC School of the Arts student and supremely talented) was there, and I raved and raved to him about his talented daughter. She will be someone some day, mark my words. Remember this name: Katie Metz.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2005, 01:12:19 PM »

I will work on the Trivia Contest when I get home from the theater.  Cleaning and selling tickets for OLIVER! today.
And how did the tickets get dirty in the first place?

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2005, 01:17:20 PM »

Jack, are you always required to clean the tickets before you sell them???

I'd say we have like minds. but that's scary!   :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2005, 01:18:00 PM »

And how did the tickets get dirty in the first place?

;D

Filthy lucre!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2005, 01:29:32 PM »

TCB and Jed, very glad your opening went well! Hurray!

I do hope I get to see ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, but this month is turning into quite a busy one...but at least I hope to meet you guys, and DR Ann, at one of BK's Portland get-togethers!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2005, 01:31:26 PM »

As most of you know, I know very little about plays, so I will skip the TOD. But it is nice to be able to learn something new, which, for me, happens rather  frequently...no cracks DR Elmore!

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2005, 01:33:29 PM »

Sister Sue and niece Katie picked up mom and they are hightailing it up I-5 to go to the wedding shower for me soon to be niece-in-law Meredith...she is a very sweet girl. DR Jane, Meredith will be my brother Allen's daughter-in-law.

Now, I will relax and watch a movie.

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2005, 01:35:48 PM »

While having breakfast with my mom this morning I learned that when my brother was in Iraq this last time his 3 car convoy came under attack by insurgents, and they actually had a shoot out...my brother and the other guy in his car did not have guns, so they had to hide under the car while others shot it out and waited for back-up.

Rather scary news that my brother did not tell us about while he was over there.

I think that scared him enough that he will not offer to go back there again (he works for the Federal govt.).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2005, 01:36:18 PM »

As noted earlier, yesterday was another grandladsitting day.  Most of the day was spent with William, who has just turned five, and also spent going from store to store, with William in the back in one of those kid's car seats required by law.  We made this up to him by letting him choose the music being played, an easy chore because he's in love with the score for A Year with Frog and Toad.  When we collected Alex, soon to be eight, we let him choose the songs - still easy, he loves the same disc.

What's good about YwF&T is that, along with a catchy score that is kid appropriate (in ways that Avenue Q most assuredly is not), the booklet includes pictures and lyrics.

So, a question for all the other DRs: What other CDs do you think would be appropriate, and enjoyable, for a couple of lads aged five and eight?  I've already picked out You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown as our next disc to introduce them to.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2005, 01:45:33 PM »

Today is National Frozen Yogurt Day!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2005, 01:55:14 PM »

More plants have been planted, more drip irrigation line has been installed, and I am tired.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2005, 01:55:41 PM »

Back from the book fair and a lovely lunch at Islands with Pogue, and all I've got to say is - CANASTA, baby, CANASTA!

Pogue bought nothing at the book fair, but I bought a few fun items, the priciest of which wasn't that pricey at all and which is worth at least more than double what I paid for it - a lovely first edition of W.R. Burnett's The Asphalt Jungle in really excellent condition.

Okay, you know-it-alls - we've only had one guess for the trivia question, and that guess was correct, so we know it's doable.  Put on your thinking caps, know-it-alls - it's really fun, but it takes some thinking and WORK.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2005, 02:06:04 PM »

I've checked my pantry, and I do not have a can a' s. t. a. (spicy Thai anchovies).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2005, 02:18:25 PM »

As most of you know, I know very little about plays, so I will skip the TOD. But it is nice to be able to learn something new, which, for me, happens rather  frequently...no cracks DR Elmore!

DRMBarnum, whatever do you mean?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2005, 03:03:02 PM »

MBarnum, since the point of the contest is that both plays were turned into movies, you really ought to EXPAND, baby, EXPAND and try to play along.

No posts in almost an hour.  I shall thrash each and every errant and truant WUSSBURGER to within an inch of his or her or its life.

Jane, I'd call your cell if I had the number.  I can, most likely, tag along on Tuesday morning.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2005, 03:03:30 PM »

BK, those fries and onion rings are just sitting in the bottom of my stomach like fish...lead fish.

BK, did you mean foreign playwrights or foreign-language playwrights?

Of the latter, I'm fond of Ibsen, Chekov, Gorky, Strindberg, Anouilh and Molnar.  I'm very curious about the Spanish Golden Age Dramatists like Lope De Vega and intend to go on a reading binge of these shortly.

Favs Brits are really too many to name.  Stoppard, Shaffer, and the Bard top the list.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 03:03:59 PM by Charles Pogue »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2005, 03:04:03 PM »

Pogue, those Lone Ranger books turned out to be the bargain of the day.  Cheapest one on the ABE in like condition?  $200.  I paid less than fifty each.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2005, 03:39:12 PM »

BK, Heigh-ho, Silver!  You should run back and get the rest.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2005, 03:43:37 PM »

Jane, I'd call your cell if I had the number.  I can, most likely, tag along on Tuesday morning.

Okay.  I will call you.

Charles what about you?

Jane

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2005, 03:44:52 PM »

MBarnum we haven't seen Allen in a long time.  Say hello from us.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2005, 03:46:42 PM »

Back to the family activities.  We are visiting with Keith's cousins we haven't seen in years.  It is nice.

Oh, Keith will be working at the Mormon Temple geneaology center on Tuesday.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2005, 04:04:18 PM »

I'm back at work and have just listened to the OBC of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (from Ben!) and I thoroughly enjoy this score!  Just had to share. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2005, 04:28:10 PM »

I'm now listening to Susan Egan's CD called "all that & more" (it's in all lower case).  This CD is made up of tracks produced by our very own BK.  It's quite delightful.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2005, 05:15:13 PM »

I see people just sitting there like so much fish - in Sandra's case like so much Swedish fish.  Let us not sit on our complacent butt cheeks staring at our collective navels, let us post.

And now - Dino at the piano.

François de Paris

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2005, 05:34:00 PM »

Navels????

My favourite oranges!

CANASTA con frutas, baby, CANASTA con frutas!

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2005, 05:51:46 PM »

So, a question for all the other DRs: What other CDs do you think would be appropriate, and enjoyable, for a couple of lads aged five and eight?  I've already picked out You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown as our next disc to introduce them to.

DR SWW - When our son was small, the "riding in the car" recording of choice (his) was the cast album from Cats.  It got to the point where we finally turned off the front speakers so only he would have to listen to it!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2005, 05:52:44 PM »

Well, I surely do hope we have some ACTION this evening.  I'll be having an early supper with Miss B. Deutsch, and then I shall hie myself home to watch a DVD at long last.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up