Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I RAISE  (Read 14552 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I RAISE
« on: June 04, 2005, 12:14:34 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've raised the notes, the notes have called you, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will be as soon as one of them hits a royal flush.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 12:00:17 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I RAISE
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 12:15:36 AM »

And the word of the day is: CANASTA!

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 12:37:03 AM »

TOD- I like plays by Tom Stoppard. I find them stimulating and intellectually challenging.

George-I went to every taping of Whose Line Is It Anyway, and have seen those guys live in Improv Allstars at least 6 times. There are entire sites devoted to what actually went on at the tapings which you would not believe! The entire season would be taped over 3 long weekends, each taping at least 6 hours, 3 of which would be cut. I had the chance to do "sound effects" with Ryan and Colin.

Ryan doesn't usually appear outside of the state of Washington, so you were lucky to see him. Did they end the show with Mousetrap?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 12:49:34 AM by Iris212 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 12:39:38 AM »

I truly adore Jean Anouilh, especially Becket and Waltz of the Toreadors.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 12:45:48 AM »

Easy for me:

Foreign playwrites; Tenessee Williams, Arthur Miller, Tom Stoppard, and Alan Bennett have all written great plays which I admire. Terrence Rattigan and Noel Coward's plays have much to admire too.

Ibsen, Chekhov, Molnar and Moliere's plays might be regarded as more "foreign" though.

As for the plays themselves - it's early so I'll leave those to the DR's when they wake.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 12:51:54 AM »

George-I went to every taping of Whose Line Is It Anyway, and have seen those guys live at least 6 times. There are entire sites devoted to what actually went on at the tapings which you would not believe! The entire season would be taped over 3 long weekends, each taping at least 6 hours, 3 of which would be cut. I had the chance to do "sound effects" with Ryan and Colin.

That's so cool!!  Last night's shows (two very different performances) were so funny!  When I was leaving, someone told me that the guys are coming back in January!!  Even though I had to stand from about 5:00 p.m. until about 11:15 (okay, I did get to sit down for about 45 minutes of the second show...but still ;)), it was worth it.  They really have such quick wits.  They come up with the funniest stuff in (literally) just no time at all (a Pippin reference)!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 12:52:32 AM »

You're all looking at my this, aren't you?

And now - LAMBADA (The Forbidden Dance)

George

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 12:56:55 AM »

Well, I must go to sleep, now...no, I really must!  After standing almost six hours, I'm plum tuckered out.   And I want to go to work in the morning so that I don't have to use up the vacation that I'm going to need for BK's Portland visit!  So, good night, all.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005, 01:04:29 AM »

Glad you enjoyed the shows, George. They really are so talented and witty.

I have listened to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels for 2 hours straight now. It's time to call it a night.

It's a night.

George

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2005, 01:18:22 AM »

BK, a couple of quick questions to clarify the Trivia Contest:

Are the two plays non-musicals?
And are the two plays original productions or are either of the productions a revival?  

If you feel that you're able to answer these two questions, thank you.  If you feel that it might be giving away too much to even answer them, then that'll be a clew, too! ;) (I hope :-\)

George

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 01:19:08 AM »

NOW, I'm going to bed! ;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 01:19:22 AM »

Good Morning!

And the hits just keep on coming!!!

I heard a commotion in the hallway a few minutes ago.  A good commotion.

My Mom played her birthday in the lottery tonight - 603.  Well, guess what came up?

Actually, 306 came up, but she played the combinations, so...

She played it both "straight" and in "any order", so she won twice.  And about $600 too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 01:26:24 AM »

And I'm guessing we have to name the season/year too?

-For a second, I almost thought you were talking about this season.

Or were you?

;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 01:27:15 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 01:30:25 AM »

As for plays and playwrights...

Well, since I've been up for almost 22 hours now...

Racine, Moliere, Ionesco
Shakespeare, Osborne, Sellars, Orton
Turgenev, Ibsen, Chekhov

Well, since I've been up for almost 22 hours...

Til anon...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2005, 02:00:55 AM »

I think my dear father, TCB, will agree with me that all your vibes worked and our opening performance was indeed a success.  Took the audience a little while to wake up, but that was probably as much us as them.  Once things really got rolling, they were wonderfully responsive and seemed to greatly enjoy themselves.  Of course, they missed the most entertaining part of the evening, when our Dolly's slip fell to her feet standing in the wings during Act II, while chatting with TCB and myself.  A bit of cake and champagne while schmoozing audience members in the lobby after the show, then I joined some non-actor members of the theatre for a drink afterwards.  Good times had by all.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 02:10:11 AM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2005, 03:51:54 AM »

CANASTA come out and play?  Good morning, all!  Another day with BABES IN TOYLAND and an evening with Jerome Moross!  

DRJose, the hotel is booked:  June 29, 30, July 1 are my days at the Library.  Tom Murray and I will arrive Wed morning and return Friday evening.  We had to move dates since the Capitol Hill Suites were filled Monday and tuesday.

Favorite foreign playwrights:  
   FRENCH: Georges Feydeau, Jean Anouilh, Jean Giraudoux, Moliere
   BRITISH/IRISH: Joe Orton, Oscar Wilde, Noel Coward, Sheridan, Shakespeare, and too many others
   GERMAN:  Brecht, even if he is a plagiarist and thief taking credit for many things his lady friends actually wrote, Peter Weiss who's actually Swiss, Durrenmatt
   RUSSIAN: Chekhov
   ITALIAN:  Carlo Gozzi, Carlo Goldoni, Eduardo de Filippo

Much as I admire A DOLL'S HOUSE and HEDDA GABLER, I wouldn't claim Ibsen as a favorite since I loathe most of his plays; I feel much the same about Strindberg.  I'm still out on Marivaux!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2005, 04:50:25 AM »

We are having a cold snap today -- the expected high is about 94F. It's a good day to plant bushes at the church. See you later!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 06:09:17 AM »

Thank you for the lovely carpet photos, DR LAURA and SANDRA. I enjoyed and  liked them, especially the Caesar’s Palace one!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 06:14:03 AM »

DR Jrand,yes,I watched 8 Women before and liked it,too, and also Catherine Deneuve still was beautiful and elegant in it. I read an article about the film in which the director said he had to take(shoot) all of 8 actresses in (at?) every their own best angle EVENLY and that was the heardest thing in shooting/filming the film. Can imagine it. ;D

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2005, 06:37:20 AM »

As for a logo, I don’t think Bruce Kimmel’s Kritzerland seems too egotistical and I like it because the Kritzerland is YOUR land, dear BK.  However, I prefer just Kritzerland. I feel it, as a logo, is more sofisticated and stylish than with your name.  And I assume that the Kritzerland logo without your name will be soon recognized as YOUR land (record label) by people as you think. If you’d strongly like to share the Kritzerland with everyone and to make the Kritzerland be everyone’s, it’s better to be the one without your name, I think.  
Hope you understand what I'd like to say... :-[

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2005, 06:39:32 AM »

Tonight is rainy and soggy here in Tokyo.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2005, 07:21:49 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up... Sort of...

And I think I'm gonna go back and try to catch a few more winks...

Hmmm...  I wonder if I'm playing the matinee today...

Guess I should make a phone call...

Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2005, 07:24:41 AM »

DR elmore - I'll put those dates into my calendar.  Thanks.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2005, 07:35:07 AM »

As for the Kritzerland logo...

Like DR Hisaka, I prefer just "Kritzerland".

Now depending upon the actual design of the site and logo, maybe it could be set up where, in smaller print, something like:

"Bruce Kimmel presents..."
"...Brought to you by Bruce Kimmel"
"A Bruce Kimmel production"
"A Bruce Kimmel creation"

-I'm envisioning something looking like a "classic" TV or movie logo.  Very retro-cool.

This way you could have the option of dropping the lead in or lead out line from the logo - if "Kritzerland" is set up as it's own logo/font/style.  *And is your designer also envisioning some sort of setting of the "K" of "Kritzerland" as a "button"?  Like a "K" on a spinning 45rpm, etc.

Will you also be referencing your Benjamin Kritzer books on the site?  Are they part of the whole concept/label?  For me, that would be the ultimate deciding factor.  If so, then "Bruce Kimmel's Kritzerland" has a slight sense of redundancy to it.

Does Guy Haines have any thoughts on the matter?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2005, 07:39:40 AM »

Congrats to DRs Jed and TCB!

-Dontcha just love the stuff that happens out of the audience's site?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2005, 07:44:37 AM »

Trivia: As stated, the two shows in question are plays, not musicals.  They are not revivals.

Kritzerland: No the Kritzer books will not be part of the label site.  I'm beginning to think I'll drop the possessary and just hope people know what the deal is.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2005, 07:50:40 AM »

Sorry I wasn't able to check back in last night, but it was after 2 a.m. when I staggered into my house, and I was simply exhausted. Couldn't wait to get to bed.

Why were we so late? No LA CAGE doesn't run THAT long, but the majority of the cast went to a restaurant after the show, and it took them FOREVER to bring our checks after we ate. I had eaten mid-afternoon, so all I had was a big ice cream dessert - huge and probably the most ice cream I've ever had in a single serving. But I ate it all since Friday is usually my "ice cream day" on my diet, and I didn't have any after I ate my meal in the afternoon.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2005, 07:51:31 AM »

Kritzerland: No the Kritzer books will not be part of the label site.  I'm beginning to think I'll drop the possessary and just hope people know what the deal is.

OK.

Do you think that you'll be getting a lot of "blind hits" to the site?  I sense that anyone going to the site will be looking for recordings, and would more than likely have a passing acquaintance with you and Guy Haines.

Maybe you'll be Google-Whacked!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2005, 07:54:11 AM »

I'll just say briefly that I listened to Light in the Piazza, based on all the "ravishing" raves I've read (does everyone who is raving have to use the word "ravishing" - aping what Frank Rich says in the booklet).   I thought the Overture was very nice - it gave me hope.  Sadly, those hopes were then dashed and ultimately the album gave me a headache for several reasons.  Mr. Guettel does try to give us a song every now and then.  But there is something in him that will not allow himself to just do that - he always has to go somewhere strange, and I find it off-putting.  He's also veering into late-Sondheim land more than I would have thought, not to mention Ravel-land and Rota-land.  It's almost as if the orchestrations were the point of the score - the textures and colors.  Nothing wrong with that - one of my favorite composers, Claus Ogerman, is all about that.  Except this isn't orchestral music, this is theater music.  When track eleven came on as I was driving home last night, I thought, STOP IT!  The actors are all very good, although they are allowed to sing as if they were playing the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion or an opera house.  Recordings require a different energy - not one that changes the performance or intent, but one that dynamically doesn't smack you between the eyes.  If one were performing these songs in a film or on TV, one would have to adjust their theater energy without losing the performance or intent.  It's subtle, but you have to do it.  

Not the worst thing I've ever heard, and there are bars here and there that are pleasing, melodically, but it's a one-time listen for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2005, 08:17:50 AM »

Well, I'm glad I went ahead and called the assistant conductor...  I'm on for both show today.  -Of course, the contractor was supposed to call me with the schedule... which was drawn up Thursday...  Grrrr...

In any case...

I gotta get ready to head in.  It's a Metro day - lots of stuff going on downtown today, including the Komen Race for the Cure.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up