Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SO IT IS WRITTEN, SO IT SHALL BE DONE  (Read 24449 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SO IT IS WRITTEN, SO IT SHALL BE DONE
« on: June 08, 2005, 11:59:35 PM »

Well, you've read the notes,  you know that both Scarlett O'Hara and Cecil B. DeMille were invoked in the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the thoroughly modern cows come home - so it is written, so it shall be done.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 11:58:15 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SO IT IS WRITTEN, SO IT SHALL BE DONE
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 12:10:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: GLOSSITIS!

Hint: What you get when you talk to damn much.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 12:18:40 AM »

One of my favorite books as a child (not a book of my parents') was "Hilda Boswell's Treasury of Children's Stories."  It has fables and fairy stories (some stories actually have fairies in them!), a prince of rain and princess of fire who are in love but don't know how they can be with each other because they'll both die...wonderful stories with wonderful illustrations.  I loved this book.  When I moved last year, I found the copy that I grew up with.  The (thin) paper that covers the outside of the book is ripped at the spine, but the pages are intact...good enough for me. :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 12:27:37 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 12:28:33 AM »

I'll have to think about books that my parents had that I might have picked up.  It'll take a while, so in the meantime, I'll go to sleep and see if anything comes to me.  Goodnight!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 12:45:32 AM »

We had a lot of the Golden Books when we were kids.  All of which got handed down to nieces and nephews.  I remember the Pokey Little Puppy and Bongo the Bear.  

My parents made a considerable investment in its day to buy us a set of Grolier Encyclopedias when I was about seven or eight.  These also came with a series of books about Lands & People and Random House books, most of which as I recall were the "All About"  series or biographies of famous people .  I remember one called All About Dinosaurs that was authored by Roy Chapman Andrews, I believe.  There was one other series that came with all this that seem to feature faery stories, legends and other stories.  All these got handed down to younger relatives too...never to be seen again.

We had some Seckatary Hawkins books, which was a rather famous and beloved boys series of books written in the twenties and thirties (and maybe earlier) about a group of boys who had a club-house on the Ohio River.  Oddly enough, I never really read these and so couldn't say I was influenced by them...though most of my friends were.  I've since collected all of these rather rare volumes save for one which was a Purina soft cover. The man who wrote these stories was Robert F. Schulkers and either he or his relatives owned the drugstore in the centre of Fort Thomas, Kentucky.  The little town I grew up in across from downtown Cincinnati. They always had reprints of his books in the store. There is a Seckatary Hawkins website.  

My first memory of stories was my mother reading us Walt Disney's Comics and Stories at naptime, which our grandparents gave us a subscription to for years.  The wild and wooly adventures of Scrooge McDuck were highly influential.

I also remember my father reading us a stirring rendition of Rikki Tikki Tavi by Rudyard Kipling.

Both my parents read a lot, particularly my father...Nevil Shute was a favourite of his...but I was really never influenced by what they were reading.  They belonged to a book club for awhile and got books sent each month.  I'd be hard-put to remember the titles.

When I started getting into Tarzan novels around eleven or twelve, my father would always bring me home a couple of Tarzan paperbacks I had requested when he went on a business trip.

I think what influenced my early reading more than anything were the weekly magazines that came...I loved Life, Look, and the Saturday Evening Post.  And then, of course, there were my dad's old Playboys in a box in the basement.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 12:51:15 AM »

My parents really did not have many books. My mother read magazines and I can't remember ever seeing my father reading a book. My dad did buy some books - special deals through the newspaper - so I did get to read "For The Term Of His Natural Life" but that was long after my interest in reading had developed.
I loved reading and thanks to my older sister I could read before I started school. Neither of us were much into toys and our Christmas and Birthday presents would always be books. I grew up reading Enid Blyton stories and of course The Bobsey Twins. I didn't really care for "The Boy's Own" adventure stuff but did enjoy "Coral Island" by R M Ballantyne and his other books - "The Young Fur Traders" and "The Gorilla Hunters" Very non PC of course.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 12:55:14 AM »

We had Hardy Boys books in the house (one of the benefits of having an older brother), and I loved looking through the encyclopedias (Funk and Wagnall's, if I remember correctly).  My favorite book that I found on the shelf of our bookcase was an Arabian Nights book, which I read over and over again, especially Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.  In the first Kritzer book, when you see Benjamin's movie screen doodles, that's the book they were done in, which I still have to this day.

Jed

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 01:06:11 AM »

I know my folks had a number of books around the house, but I pretty much stuck to my own collection.  That is, except for the collection of Judy Blume books my mother had around (due to her dabbling in writing children's literature for a few years).  Hardy Boys were definitely favorites of mine, following a couple years of going through stack upon stack of those Choose Your Own Adventure books.  Of course, there was a wide variety of Golden Books around when my sister and I were quite young, with The Pokey Little Puppy always being a favorite of mine.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Danise

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 03:50:48 AM »

Good morning all!

As far as childrens books go…..

I remember the little Golden Books.  Digger Dan and Doctor Dan are the two that really come to mind. Doctor Dan had little candy “pills” in it, a plastic stethoscope (is that the right word?—Sorry if it’s not I’m in a hurry) and Band-Aids.  I remember Mom said that whenever I got a boo-boo I had to run and get my Dr Dan book because it would make everything ok.

She sometimes had a hard time finding the same candy to do a “refill”.

I had a thing for the big machines when I was a kid.  I thought they were like dinosaurs and the other thing I really loved and was fascinated with was water towers.  Go figure. I think I thought they were some kind of castle.

Gota scoot!  We’re going to have more showers tonight so I don’t know if I’ll be on or not.

Laters!

Hi Jed!  Bye Jed!   :D  ICU!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 04:44:18 AM »

Good morning DRs Elmore and Ben.  Bedtime in OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 05:13:37 AM »

Good morning, all!  Another hot muggy day at 7:40 am.  I have laundry and a full day on DARLING OF THE DAY.  Lord.

TOD:  My mother's taste in reading declined the further away from reality she moved, but when I was young, she read bestsellers, which had no appeal to me, as well as READER'S DIGEST, which I liked for the jokes and other ephemera; occasionally, I'd find an excerpt that appealed to me and I'd track the book down at the public library.  Two that come to mind are TOO MANY GHOSTS by Paul Gallico and THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE by Shirley Jackson.

My father never read more than a newspaper twice a day, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER in the morning and the MIDDLETOWN JOURNAL in the evening, and of the books my mother kept around the house, I believe the only one I ever read was GONE WITH THE WIND, which was her favorite novel.  Even though we were lower middle class, my parents never stinted on books for my brother Tom and me.  Since I was reading by age four, I have memories of a Little Big Book of Disney's CINDERELLA around 1951, tons of Little Golden Books, a strange collection of fairy tales that included Ruskin's "King of the Golden River," and hundreds and hundreds of comic books, primarily Disney and Little Lulu.   It was a Scrooge McDuck comic about the golden fleece that turned me to mythology and Homer's two epics.  Around 1954, my favorite book was THE WIZARD OF OZ, which was given to my by my Aunt Jean, who became my surrogate mother after she and her husband learned they would never have children.  Many of my books between 1954 and 1960 were gifts from her.  In fact, it was my Uncle Harold who, watching me draw one day, determined I needed glasses from the proximity of my face to the paper.  I don't think my Mother ever noticed me that closely.

Like DRPogue, I was given Roy Chapman Andrews' ALL ABOUT DINOSAURS in 1956 on a trip to Kansas City, MO, and for a while, dinosaurs and the comic TUROK SON OF STONE were my major obsessions.   On the same trek to Missouri, we saw the film of THE KING AND I, and musical theatre, especially Rodgers & Hammerstein, became my next obsession.  At some point in this period, too, I read Alcott's LITTLE WOMEN and LITTLE MEN, and TOM SAWYER.

I liked BEN-HUR, which I read either before or after I saw the film in 1958 (?), but I found QUO VADIS? impossible.  Aound 1960, I bought a paperback titled something like GREAT BOOKS OF THE WESTERN WORLD, which listed great books under categories and offered a brief synopsis.  If a book sounded appealing to me, I'd take the bus to the public library and check it out; that got me to Aaron Copland's books on music and the drama section.  Suddenly, plays and their dialogue became fascinating, and I went through anthologies and every single play on the shelves of the public library.  Some of those early 20th Century translations of Greek, Scandinavian, and Russian drama are lethal, however, and left their mark on my feelings about the playwrights.  It took me a long time to get over the trauma of a poor Chekhov translation!

There was one great Signet collection, 8 GREAT COMEDIES, which introduced me to THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST and ARMS AND THE MAN.  This volume and the THREE PLAYS BY THORNTON WILDER became two of my favorite books.  Still are.

My other favorite books from the mid-1960s were two great reference books, THE VICTOR BOOK OF THE OPERA and THE VICTOR BOOK OF BALLET, which increased my listening enjoyment by introducing me to composers I knew nothing about and works that have been favorites for a long time now.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 05:48:59 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 05:16:14 AM »

TOD:  The Joy of Sex.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 05:18:50 AM »

Not really. But I thought I'd throw that in.

I enjoyed reading and read them many times were The WOnderful Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, Yom Sawyer, and Huck Finn.

I just notice I wrote Yom Sawyer. That of course was the Jewish version of Tom Sawyer, which I also read.
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 05:54:21 AM »

The books around the house that affected me most (and which I still have) were  Rachel Carson's "The Sea Around Us," a number of Max Schulman paperbacks, David Blum's "A Pictorial History of the Theatre" and books on Monet, Manet, Lautrec, Titian, Renoir, etc.

Books at my aunt's house that I read and and forever changed my life were Blum's History of the Silent Screen and History of the Talkies and Patrick Dennis' "Little Me."

I loved "The Boxcar Children,"  Dick and Jane books (life as I never knew it).  "The Twenty-One Balloons" was, and is, still a favorite.  And of course, "Eloise."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 05:55:23 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 05:59:16 AM »

Again, as with their record collection, I don't remember having a great deal of interest in my parents' books.  I do recall my dad building our first encyclopedia set by buying a volume each week at the Shop-Rite and then the two of us together leafing through the latest edition.   And when I was in seventh or eighth grade, I was attracted enough by the cover of my mom's copy of Agatha Christie's Hall'ween party to pick it up and read it and become a devout Christie reader.

My own childhood collection of books was enormous.  Books were the one thing my parents didn't seem to mind spoiling us kids with.  I had lots of Golden Books, Little Big Books, and a smattering of Big Little Books.  We also had soething called the Good Housekeeping Collection of Stories for Children that ran the gamut from a very simplistic telling of The Little Red Hen to a story by Kipling.

And, of course, I read comics, too.  I leaned towards the Harvey line of books, enjoying the various Casper titles, along with Richie Rich and Hot Stuff.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 06:05:48 AM »

I don't recall any books at my parents' house, except a set of children's encyclopedias.

Too bad Kerry has to work today. He will miss out on all the fun and excitment: My husband is going to rent a little plane, fly to a small town outside of Phoenix, and I am going to drive there and meet him and we'll have breakfast. We always do it this way, because I refuse to get into the little plane.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 06:35:41 AM »

Reading my dad's Woody Allen short story books was quite a turning point in my reading life. None of that guy's movies compare to some of his short stories.

Also WORKING, by Studs Terkel I read at a young age.

The best early kids books were Dr. Seuss's DID I EVER TELL YOU DUCKY HOW LUCKY YOU ARE? and P.D. Eastman's GO DOG, GO! I could stare at some of the pictures all day long.

Beverly Cleary's books.

Then discovering Daniel Pinkwater's books in junior high was another revelation. LIZARD MUSIC, THE SNARKOUT BOYS AND THE AVOCADO OF DEATH, WORMS OF  KAKUMLUMA

MBarnum

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 07:06:57 AM »

My mom was a big reader of historical novels, particularly those that took place during the civil war. My dad, later in live, enjoyed western novels. I never had a fascination with either, but we did have a wonderful set of encyclopedias which I enjoyed looking through often when I was very young.

As for my own reading materials, my favorite book was THE CONTENTED LITTLE PUSSY CAT by Frances Ruth Keller.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 07:12:11 AM »

I think it's a very romantic plan, DR LAURA.
Have a lovely breakfast with your DH!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2005, 07:23:37 AM »

TOD, I remember my grandfather had many photo books of castles in Japan. He'd loved to paint castles and also birds, so he had a thousand of these sort of very colorful photo books.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2005, 07:24:05 AM »

I don't remember  my parents reading books, but they always had the newspaper  and Life Magazine and  The National Geographic

I did "inherit " two of my mom's childhood books (my grandmother had thrown all the rest out while my mother was on her honeymoon, these two were in a drawer and missed the cleansing)

One was the Little Dutch Tulip Girl... which I still have and the other which I have misplaced and have been trying to find for years was caled something like Tommy and The Golden Way or Tommy and the Golden Cat ... I loved this book.  It was about a boy livingon a farm  I would guess in the 1930's and the adventures he has playing in his father's workshop...

Golden Books... my dad used to take me out every Sunday from the time I was about 3, to the local drugstore and buy the sunday paper for himself and a golden book for me  by the itme I was 6 I had a bookcase full of them... unfortunately one day when I was out at school my little brothers got into my room and between them colored on the pages and ripped the pages out until my books were no more

My dad also took me to the library every Saturday from the time I was 6.  I still remerb the very first book I took out of the library with my own card, "B is for Betsy" by Carolyn Haywood.  I read everything that she wrote and she had some wonderful stories.

When I got older I loved all the books by Louis May Alcott , Little Women, Little Men, Jo's Boys, Under the Liloacs, Jack & Jill, Eight Cousins, Rose In Bloom, An Old Fashioned Girl

The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder and  Farmer Boy the story of her husband's boyhood

The Anne of Greeen Gables Series

and there were a series of 'shoes" books, Theater Shoes, Ballet Shoes, Circus Shoes,  I'm missing one.... all by Noel Streatfield I think...

There was a series of All of A Kind books, I cannot remember the author, about a Jewish family living in New York probably in the 30's or 40's

When I was about 10 - 12 I went through a "horsey period "Misty Of Chitteoatogue Island ( I know I am misspelling this) and all the sequels, Man of War, Black Beauty, The Red Pony

I loved all the Mark Twain books I read , Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn,  Puddinhead Wilson, A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, the Prince & the Pauper

Alice in Wonderland, and Alice Through The LookingGlass

There was a series of Fairy Tale books in my library The Red Fairytale Book,. The Green Fairytale Book, you get the drift... I read the whole rainbow...

I like the Greek and Roman Mythologies

I read all the Nancy Drew books  I had the whole series at one time and my mother persuaded me to give them away... I still wish I hadn't

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2005, 07:28:18 AM »

I, too, watched Diamond Head before and I didn’t like it much, because I felt the story (and also Charlton Heston’s character same as dear BK mentioned) was strange. And George Chakiris was not so good as his role, Bernardo, in West Side Story...

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2005, 07:28:58 AM »

Oh and how could I forget Dr. Seuss! Hortan Hatches the Egg  is my favorite  " I said what I meant and I meant what I said, an elephant's faithful one hundred percent"

closely followed by Green Eggs and Ham and Horton Hears a Who

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 07:33:24 AM »

How lovely THE CONTENTED LITTLE PUSSY CAT's cover picture is, DR MBarnum!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 07:58:45 AM »

My parents were both big readers, and there were lots of book around the house, though I can't say that I spent much time with THEIR books as they bought me my own.

However, I do remember that once I learned to read well enough to look at their books, I noticed a two book fairy tale set. The green volume was Andersen's Fairy Tales and the red volume was Grimm's Fairy Tales. I remember those two books VERY clearly.

I think the first book I ever took from their bookcase in the family room to read for myself was John Steinbeck's THE RED PONY. Wonderful book but sad as I recall.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 08:01:08 AM »

Didn't get around to listening to THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA yesterday, and now I don't know when I'll get to it. I'm still enjoying TWO'S COMPANY at home, and I haven't taken LA CAGE out of the car CD player.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2005, 08:02:42 AM »

Off to getg some housecleaning done before I start preparing my lunch. We're in for another hot day here with (more) thundershowers forecast for later.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2005, 08:38:11 AM »

2 Day TODs:  It was actually my oldest sister more than my parents who introduced me to new music.  She loved the "big" soundtracks of her day, everything from West Side Story to Mutiny on the Bounty.  But her biggest influence was introducing me to Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 when I was 9 or 10.  That got me hooked on Brasilian music which has deeply impacted my life.

I loved The Silly Book by Stoo Hample when I was a kid.  I believe Former DR Noel has said he knows (and maybe worked with ???) Stoo.  My copy of The Silly Book mysteriously disappeared many years ago.  I had come to believe my father gave it away after I left home for college.  In the meantime (20 years later) I bid on and won a signed (and drawn--a handdrawn "Boodleheimer", and you Silly Book afficianados will know what that means) copy on eBay.  Punchline:  my other sister shows up out of the blue from Alaska one day and hands me my copy of The Silly Book, now completely worn-through on the spine and with her name written in permanent marker across the cover.  She had been using it as a "teaching aid" in her classrooms for 20-odd years.

But the good news is I have 2 copies of it now to share with my sons, and they both love it.

I believe it was recently re-published, with maybe some new stuff.

And there's a record that was put out at the same time, appropriately titled The Silly Record, that I've never been able to find.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 08:38:45 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2005, 08:40:58 AM »

BK:  I sprang for that Rhino Bacharach comp, so I have added Me Japanese Boy (and the semi-delicious Blue Guitar) to the flop medley.  I think it will be a lot of fun.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2005, 08:52:34 AM »

Good Morning!

Well...  I thought I was going to be niece- and nephew-sitting this morning, but it looks like I'll be doing so this afternoon... wait, this evening...  The number of phone calls from my brother and his wife... I've lost count!  In any case...  Now I have to shuffle some other things that were potentially on my schedule for today.

I think.

-Yes, I'm still waking up.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up