Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MARK SPITZ  (Read 14962 times)

Ginny

Re:MARK SPITZ
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2005, 07:41:50 AM »

TOD - I follow figure skating pretty closely and my favorite Olympic moments both involved unexpected silver medals.  Neither Elizabeth Manley in 1988 nor Paul Wylie in 1992 were in the medal hunt, just representing their countries (Canada and the US, respectively).  They were both so thrilled when they won silver medals and their reactions represent what I think Olympic competition should be all about.  I get a little disgusted when skaters go in expecting to be coronated the gold medalist.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2005, 07:43:32 AM »

Page 2 - I'm now going to dance off to work after a delightful 3-day weekend with my family.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2005, 08:06:26 AM »

Good Morning!  Once again.

Still no word from the contractor...

I guess I'll show up tonight since I know I've put on the schedule, but still...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2005, 08:07:42 AM »

In other news...

I got a new place lined up in New York City!  Details to come.  But everything looks pretty good for a July 5 arrival date.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2005, 08:08:47 AM »

Well I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in getting my Bacharach charts done.  I have managed to churn out completely new arrangements for about an hour worth of material for a 5 piece band (including two completely from-scratch long medleys) in about 2 weeks, so I am feeling exhausted.

Re:  Trivia.  As I mentioned to BK, Elmore and I were discussing this very show a few months ago, since LaTouche evidently reused one of his lyrics in another show.

Re:  HHW NW Gettogether(s)

Could everyone please email/RSVP me:

jmkauffman@aol.com

To let me know if you will be coming to:

1.  The private get-together Sunday, June 19, 4-ish at my place.  BK, at least a few HHW-ers, and some other scintillating folk.  A perfect opportunity to grab some face-time with BK.

2.  The signing/reading, Monday, June 20, 7 p.m. at St. James Episcopal, 11511 SW Bull Mtn. Rd.

If you need directions to either/both, let me know.  BK wants hordes of people at the reading, so do your part!!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2005, 08:09:16 AM »

Yep - It's HOT in the DC Metro area.  Some of the school systems have just announced that they will be closing early today.

-Just thought you would like to know that.

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2005, 08:09:35 AM »

I can remember many memorable moments from the Olympics because they aired constantly at home growing up since my family were all so sports-oriented:

Wilma Rudolph blowing away the women's field in sprint events.

Don Schollander (whom I had a HUGE, HUGE crush on) winning four golds in swimming.

I remember watching Joe Frazier and George Foreman win their gold medals in boxing at successive Olympics. (Foreman walked around the ring waving a tiny little American flag after he won; in direct contrast to the two African-American track athletes who raised their black-gloved fists in protest when they won their medals.)

Lots of women's gymnastics: Olga Korbut's stunning debut and then the next night stumbling on the same uneven bar routine that she had triumphed in the night before. Mary Lou Retton scoring that perfect 10 and winning her overall gold medal. The men's team so full of hunky gold medalists (Mitch Gaylord, Bart Connor, etc.)

And, of course, figure skating. I've seen all the contests since Peggy Fleming's 1968 triumph. Remember Dorothy Hamill's 1976 win the clearest, Linda Fratianne's unfairly lost contest in 1980, John Curry's stunning routine in 1976, and the Battle of the Brians: Boitano and Orser in 1988, won by Boitano in the closest men's contest in history. And so many more.

And I'm not even a sports fan!  :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2005, 08:13:35 AM »

Olympics Memories:

My first viewing of the Olympics were the Lake Placid games in 1960.  I was thrilled by all of it, but I really loved the skiing events.

After that, I pretty much watched summer/winter games.  My most special memories included watching Janet Lynn fall in the women's free skate.  She smiled, got up and finished.  She won the Bronze.

I remember Dorothy Hamill and Peggy Fleming winning.

I remember seeing Torville and Dean at Sarajevo in 1984 and feeling a bit underwhelmed at the Bolero because everyone had made it out to be such phenomenal skating and I thought it would be more magical.  I was much more taken with their performances in the four years between World's in 1980 and 1984.   The incredible event in that Olympics for me was Kitty and Peter Carruthers skating flawlessly and winning the Silver Medal (while the Russians, skating a more difficult, but flawed, program won the Gold).  The Carruthers' weren't given much of a chance for finishing higher than fifth.

Mark Spitz was, of course, the major Olympics phenomenon of our time.   An Olympics or two later, we had Shane Gould of Australia winning five Golds.  While he should have been leading parades after that Games, the sad truth is that he flew directly home after winning his final medal because of the terrorist attack against the Israelies in the Olympic village.  

And in the 1980s, we had Eric Heiden, that phenom of the oval track, winning 5 speed skating Golds.

For me, the Olympics are always about the amateur athletes who dedicate their lives to being as good as they can at what they do.

Their dedication and their performances, their humility (yes, some are quite humble) and graciousness under duress are certainly something the world needs to witness more of.

I can think of no finer example of this than Kerri Strug's heroic vault that earned the USA women a Gold team medal in gymnastics.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 08:28:30 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2005, 08:13:45 AM »

for you Jose
http://www.louganis.com/

Thank you, DR vixmom.  The first time I saw that pic, it took me a few "looks" to realize that the pic was taken underwater - I figured it was taken mid-air.  It's also used for the cover of his auto-biography, which I stood in line for hours(!) to get autographed. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2005, 08:14:02 AM »

And, the real pity is that Elizabeth Manley and Paul Wylie actually deserved gold medals for their performances. The wins by Viktor Petrinko and (ugh) Katerina Witt were entirely predictable and premeditated.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2005, 08:14:55 AM »

In other news...

I got a new place lined up in New York City!  Details to come.  But everything looks pretty good for a July 5 arrival date.

:)

ALERT THE POLICE!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2005, 08:16:48 AM »

I met Greg Louganis in NYC at LES MIZ. He was sitting two rows in front of me at the show, and at intermission, I sought him out and congratulated him on his Olympic triumphs. He was very nice, very reserved. I don't believe he had come out at the time I met him. This was in 1988, I believe.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2005, 08:18:13 AM »

ALERT THE POLICE!!!!!

Well, I've always had a thing for men in uniform.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2005, 08:18:18 AM »

DRs TCB and RLP: Paige Davis was the host of Trading Spaces, and has been on Broadway and tours.

DR Ginny, I remember that Olympics with Elizabeth Manley.  That was totally excellent (although I would have liked her to win the gold).

One huge moment I remember was the 100m with Ben Johnson and the huge scandal that erupted after the race.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2005, 08:19:18 AM »

Re:  Trivia.  As I mentioned to BK, Elmore and I were discussing this very show a few months ago, since LaTouche evidently reused one of his lyrics in another show.

Of course, the biggest question on BEGGAR'S HOLIDAY is how much Duke Ellington actually wrote since evidence seems to indicate Ellington's ghostwriter Billy Strayhorn was the only one around.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2005, 08:21:02 AM »

;D

One of the footmen, as they oft do,
Looked very handsome with his livery on and off, too,
But it was only a passing phase.

from VALMOUTH by Sandy Wilson

I think we've found a role for DRJose!  Or a roll.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 08:22:25 AM by elmore3003 »

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2005, 08:21:38 AM »

I am pretty determined to watch NIGHTMARE ALLEY today. Looking forward to it after I finsh GALAXY QUEST.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2005, 08:22:57 AM »

DRs TCB and RLP: Paige Davis was the host of Trading Spaces, and has been on Broadway and tours.

I cannot speak for TCB, but I know who Paige Davis is.  My "EXACTLY" was sarcasm related to TCB's "Who is Paige Davis?"

She is a marginal celebrity with a huge smile and perky disposition who hosted TS and rode that into some road companies as a headliner.

You'd have to PAY ME to go see her do anything.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 08:24:29 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2005, 08:24:29 AM »

I also have my eye on watching FLAMINGO ROAD on laserdisc. Can't really understand Warners choosing THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS for their Joan Crawford boxed set. Seems like if they wanted a campy entry, FLAMINGO ROAD would be the better choice. She has every man in town lusting after her AND has to face off with Sydney Greenstreet. That's entertainment!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2005, 08:26:43 AM »

I cannot speak for TCB, but I know who Paige Davis is.  My "EXACTLY" was sarcasm related to TCB's "Who is Paige Davis?"

You'd have to PAY ME to go see her do anything.

Well, to give her credit, since I've never seen her do anything, she did tour in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and she's done CHICAGO.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2005, 08:29:26 AM »

...And she was touring and on Broadway BEFORE she was on "Trading Spaces"...  So you may have already paid to see her and not have known it!

;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 08:29:52 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2005, 08:35:30 AM »

Z CHANNEL- I figured you woudn't dig that candied up footage, BK. Shots of dandelions or highways or trees or whatever, but I guess they had to show something during those audio-interview passages. The crisp footage from actual movies is pretty awesome though.

The thing that's sad is that HBO/Cinemax/Showtime, etc. with what, thirty channels between them, don't have a single channel in the league of what Z Channel had. And even the more "artsy" cable channels don't approach Z's scope.

The story of Z Channel fits my developing thesis that the only place for eclecticism in a capitalist society is beneath the wheels.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2005, 08:39:51 AM »

Well, to give her credit, since I've never seen her do anything, she did tour in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and she's done CHICAGO.

Hmmm...is she the same Paige Davis who is aka Mindy Paige Davis?  Married to a Patrick Page, thus having the name of Paige Davis Page?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2005, 08:39:59 AM »

Paige was not a headliner though, but The Feather Duster in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST prior to her TS fame, so Ron is technically correct.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2005, 08:42:36 AM »

Well, this just in... sort of...

Andrew Lloyd Webber's newest musical, The Woman in White, has canceled its pre-Broadway engagement in Chicago.

The Chicago Tribune reports that the musical — currently playing London's Palace Theatre — has canceled its previously announced engagement at Chicago's LaSalle Bank Theatre. Woman in White, which features a score by Lloyd Webber and David Zippel, was to have played the Chicago theatre Nov. 15, 2005-Jan. 8, 2006.

A spokesperson for the musical told Playbill.com that Woman in White will now arrive on Broadway in October at the Marquis Theatre, current home of the revival of La Cage aux Folles. The musical's official opening night is scheduled for Nov. 17. Although no casting has been announced, it is likely that Olivier Award winner Maria Friedman will repeat her London role as Marian on Broadway.
[/size]

No word yet on Mssrs. Crawford or Ball.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/93517.html
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2005, 08:44:10 AM »

Hmmm...is she the same Paige Davis who is aka Mindy Paige Davis?  Married to a Patrick Page, thus having the name of Paige Davis Page?

Yes.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2005, 08:44:46 AM »

That is she...Mindy Paige Davis Page.  Her husband was the candelabra in "Beauty and the Beast."

For her fans, I'm thrilled for her.

But as "hostess" of "Trading Spaces" (the one who nagged and nitpicked and questioned and second-guessed and held the purse strings for the "designers"), I found her obnoxiously perky and cheery.  She pranced around all the time, did plies, etc.  She drove me away from watching the show, she did (well, that and the fact that Vern Yip never came back).

:D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 08:45:50 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2005, 08:47:27 AM »

Oops. I meant THE DAMNED DON'T CRY rather than THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS in my comments about the Joan Crawford DVD box. Both featured co-star David Brian (as does FLAMINGO ROAD), so they're easy to confuse.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2005, 08:47:48 AM »

And Debby Boone starred in "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers"....and Marie Osmond was Maria in "The Sound of Music"....but I'd rather have an attack of hives to see either of them in anything.

:D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 12:41:49 PM by Ron Pulliam »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2005, 08:48:00 AM »

;D
I can see why
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up