Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MARK SPITZ  (Read 14961 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:MARK SPITZ
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2005, 08:48:42 AM »

I understand you guys waxing nostalgic on the Z Channel, but it was not nationally available and HBO and Showtime were. For those of us in the hinterlands, thank god for HBO.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2005, 08:49:11 AM »

Just popped in on my break. I was mistaken and we have two computers with internet in the staff lounge so I will try to pop in every once in a while.

The only Olympic memory that really sticks out to me is when the Women's Gymnastics won the gold in 96. One of the girls on the team was born in Greenfield which is where I went to Grade school so it was a huge deal. The signs in Greenfield even say "Home of Jayce Phelps Olympic Gold Medal Winner" even though it is more importantly the hometown of James Whitcomb Riley.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 08:50:55 AM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2005, 08:52:07 AM »

Oh...

And I do have to say that Mr. Spitz has done a very nice job of maintaining his physique.  I do have to say it has been a bit deflating meeting Mr. Louganis a few years ago.  It was also a bit disheartening to discover the reason the line would stop for a few minutes every now and then: smoke break.  However, considering the various other personal battles and demons he's had to deal with... More power to him.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2005, 08:54:16 AM »

I can see why

:o

I hope the vixter has her own computer!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2005, 08:54:44 AM »

Hello, DR Joey!  Hope all is going well!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2005, 08:58:22 AM »

OK - I'm outta here for a while...

Laundry - Must have clean pit clothes tonight.

Then Lunch with my friend, Leigh.  We're heading to some place called The Corner Bistro in McLean.  She loves it - and that's saying something.  It's one of those "small plates" places serving a variety of tapas, antipasti and mezze.  -And, apparently, a very nice wine selection too - which I will most likely not be partaking of... however, on a day like this, maybe some sangria would be nice.

In any case...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2005, 08:58:35 AM »

:o

I hope the vixter has her own computer!

;D

She isn't allowed internet access!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2005, 09:06:37 AM »

Hmmm, DR RLP sarcasm does not translate well in posts.  Try a smiley or something next time!  Btw, I thought DR TCB was serious.  But maybe he wasn't either.

And btw, I loved Paige on Trading Spaces and didn't find her annoying at all.

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2005, 09:07:29 AM »

Then Lunch with my friend, Leigh.  We're heading to some place called The Corner Bistro in McLean.  
Laters...

My cousin lives in McLean... and he's married to a woman named Leigh.....could it be?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2005, 09:41:35 AM »

Well, Miss Davis is playing Maria for Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera, and I say good for her!  Many of my friends and several of my least favorite folk have worked there.  Miss Davis, whose work I d not know, may get good or lousy reviews, but I'm sure she had some strong competition and made the cut.  I don't believe she's been cast totally on her "Trading spaces" reputation.  However, I've been wrong before.

I'm gonna climb on a soapbox here for a second because I think the folk on this board are good people, rather sophisticated, and not a part of the general population I loathe and refer to as the halt, the lame, and the maimed.  It's people I like and humanity I generally dislike.

I need to tell you something:  the people you watch, like, and loathe in the media aren't often who they are.  They're manipulated by the media, the program producers and directors, and to some degree they're acting all the time they're in the public eye.  Soap actors don't in real life commit adultery, murder, kidnapping and other outrageous acts (well, sometimes, but it's usually drugs) but their fans can't often separate the program's reality from the actor's reality.  On THE APPRENTICE and other reality shows, the producers  and director decide how to manipulate both their casts and the audiences; I suspect sometimes they cast the persons who fit the spot they need to fill.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2005, 10:02:41 AM »

A wealthy old lady decides to go on a photo safari in Africa, taking her faithful aged poodle named Cuddles, along for the company.

One day the poodle starts chasing butterflies and before long, Cuddles discovers that she's lost.

Wandering about, she notices a leopard heading rapidly in her direction with the intention of having lunch.

The old poodle thinks, "Oh, oh! I'm in deep doo-doo now!"

Noticing some bones on the ground close by, she immediately settles down to chew on the bones with her back to the approaching cat.

Just as the leopard is about to leap, the old poodle exclaims loudly, "Boy, that was one delicious leopard!
I wonder if there are any more around here?"

Hearing this, the young leopard halts his attack in mid-strike, a look of terror comes over him and he slinks away into the trees.   "Whew!", says the leopard,   "That was close! That old poodle nearly had me!"

Meanwhile, a monkey who had been watching the whole scene from a near by tree, figures he can put this knowledge to good use and trade it for protection from the leopard.  So off he goes, but the old poodle sees him heading after the leopard with great speed, and figures that something must be up. The monkey soon catches up with the leopard, spills the beans and strikes a deal for himself with the leopard.  The young leopard is furious at being made a fool of and says, "Here, monkey, hop on my back and see what's going to happen to that conniving canine!"

Now, the old poodle sees the leopard coming with the monkey on his back and thinks, "What am I going to do now?", but instead of running, the dog sits down with her back to her attackers, pretending she hasn't seen them yet, and just when they get close enough to hear, the old poodle says: "Where's that damn monkey?   I sent him off an hour ago to bring me another leopard!"

Moral of this story..

Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B.S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!

vixmom

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2005, 10:11:00 AM »

the people you watch, like, and loathe in the media aren't often who they are.  They're manipulated by the media, the program producers and directors, and to some degree they're acting all the time they're in the public eye.

Well said!!  I couldn't abide Tom Hanks in Bosom Buddies, but Philadelphia, Apollo Thirteen, A League of Their Own, Cast Away, Big (and I must admit a guilty pleasure, The 'burbs) amongst others  have given me an appreciation of his talent and he is now one of my favorite actors. If I was to judge his talent and ability on  Turner & Hooch and refused to see any more of his work based upon that  I would have deprived myself of many fine performances and enjoyable movies
 :D

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2005, 10:19:37 AM »

Ha Ha. Just goes to show. I like his Bosom Buddies work the best!

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2005, 10:36:51 AM »

Ha Ha. Just goes to show. I like his Bosom Buddies work the best!

and that as they say is horse racing!! :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2005, 10:39:40 AM »

I've been up for a while, but bombarded with stuff.  

Billy Strayhorn was, of course, listed as orchestrator on Beggar's Holiday.

They are trimming trees in front of my home environment today, because they are touching the power lines.  The city pays for it, but I hope they don't go nuts with the trimming.  I suspect it's going to get very very loud here in the next couple of days.

Jed

« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2005, 10:56:28 AM »

Just realized I left my fershluganah black shoes at the theater... time to switch over to my brown shoe interview outfit!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2005, 10:56:54 AM »

It is sort of humid in the city of Salem, Oregon...and our air conditioning at work broke down...and for some reason I cannot keep my eyes open.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2005, 11:01:28 AM »

It is raining here!  And scheduled to rain all day today.  And tomorrow.  And the next day.  And the day after. :)

vixmom

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2005, 11:05:55 AM »

I've been up for a while, but bombarded with stuff.  

Billy Strayhorn was, of course, listed as orchestrator on Beggar's Holiday.

They are trimming trees in front of my home environment today,

When I read" trimming trees" right after  "Holiday" a  image of people decorating Christmas trees ubnder the sunny California skies immediately popped into my head

vixmom

« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2005, 11:06:50 AM »

It is raining here!  And scheduled to rain all day today.  And tomorrow.  And the next day.  And the day after. :)

Somebody needs to adjust that schedule!!  :D

vixmom

« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2005, 11:08:14 AM »

Just realized I left my fershluganah black shoes at the theater... time to switch over to my brown shoe interview outfit!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~More Most Excellent Interview Vibes~~~~[/move]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 11:09:08 AM by vixmom »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2005, 11:24:45 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
EXCELLENT EMPLOYMENT VIBES FOR DR JED!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/size][/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2005, 11:27:13 AM »

TOD:  I don't know whether it's failing memory or just indifference,but I have remember an Olympic memory.  

I've actually been to a Live Olympic Event when they were held here in LA back in whenever...A neighbour at the time, whose name I don't even remember, enlisted me to go with her when she had tickets for the Diving Event.  I wasn't thrilled with the idea, but I figured what the Hell, I could say I once had been to the Olympics.  And LA was fairly delightful at the time, because as DR Lurie pointed out, many anticipating a crush had gotten out of town.  Traffic was probably the best it had been.  We drove downtown and parked at the Music Center, where one then caught a special bus over to Exposition Park.  I think I was more intrigued by the locale (to which I had never been) than the event itself.  We were not seeing the final competition...but some really low-end athletes.  Egypt? Diving?  I think the athlete got 4's across the board from the judges.  And a lot of other countries like that.  But that's all I really remember of the day. I might have a program somewhere around here.

When I was a kid and there were only three stations, the Olympics were a fairly big family viewing deal...I liked the skiing and figure skating in the winter games.  Gymnastics and diving in the summer games.  But still have no distinct memories of any one big moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2005, 11:30:34 AM »

If you're wearing brown shoes, no black pants!  Remember, your going out there a bum, so at least appear a tasteful one.  NOW COME BACK A STAR!!!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2005, 11:32:50 AM »

Of course, the biggest question on BEGGAR'S HOLIDAY is how much Duke Ellington actually wrote since evidence seems to indicate Ellington's ghostwriter Billy Strayhorn was the only one around.

In trying to find the answers to the trivia contest, I found a website that said that most of the show was written by Strayhorn.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2005, 11:46:14 AM »

In trying to find the answers to the trivia contest, I found a website that said that most of the show was written by Strayhorn.

Ellington and Strayhorn had a curious sexual and working relationship; I suspect Strayhorn put up with it for the work, the sex, and a semblance of celebrity, and Ellington needed Strayhorn for the talent he was taking advantage of.  A kinder person might suggest they were two halves of one talent, but I believe Strayhorn was the greater half.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 12:37:43 PM by elmore3003 »

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2005, 12:30:58 PM »

Good luck to DR Jed!

Jed

« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2005, 12:45:18 PM »

If you're wearing brown shoes, no black pants!  Remember, your going out there a bum, so at least appear a tasteful one.  NOW COME BACK A STAR!!!!

But of course!  That's why I had to switch over to an entirely different brown shoe outfit (we straight guys aren't totally clueless, ya know ;)). Not a word from you, Ann

Home from the interview, which seemed to go fairly well.  They seemed to like me well enough, anyway.  They are interviewing eleven of us over today and tomorrow to fill two positions.  We shall see what we shall see...
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2005, 12:57:23 PM »

Home from the interview, which seemed to go fairly well.  They seemed to like me well enough, anyway.  They are interviewing eleven of us over today and tomorrow to fill two positions.  We shall see what we shall see...

~~~ Best Post-Interview Vibes!! ~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2005, 01:06:14 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from lunch with my friend, Leigh - who is no relation to DR vixmom's Leigh.

The Corner Bistro truly is a corner bistro.  A few small tables, a bar, and an open kitchen - which is an open kitchen by default due to the size of the space.  A very nice menu of small plates, and quite an impressive cocktail and wine list.  We had mussels, calamari, croquetas (ham and chicken), artichoke hearts, chorizo and merguez in small dishes all over the table.  All very good, and quite reasonably priced too.  The place is run by the same folks who run the bigger French restaurant next door, Le Petit Mistral - which explained the extensive wine list.

We had a great catch up session, and we're now up to date on each other's lives.  We also found out that we've had another friend in common for about five years, but we just never connected the dots until now.  The theatrical world truly is a small one.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up