Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MARK SPITZ  (Read 14959 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MARK SPITZ
« on: June 13, 2005, 11:59:26 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've sung "If You Knew Zebu Like I Knew Zebu," you've contemplated Mark Spitz, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're still playing with their zebus.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 11:59:11 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MARK SPITZ
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 12:00:51 AM »

And the word of the day is: XENOPHOBIA!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 12:09:37 AM »

Olympic memories:

The 1956 Olympics in my home town - when the world was young and innocent.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 12:24:59 AM »

Darn.  I didn't win the Unseemly Trivia Contest. :'( ;)

Oh, well.  Congratulations, DR Charles Pogue!

I can remember watching the 1984 (or was 1980) Olympics with Torville and Dean's Bolero number.  I thought that it was absolutely incredible (I had never really watched ice dancing, just pairs skating...very different).  After they became the big thing, there were stories about them showing past performances and their routine to the overture to Mack & Mabel.  I thought that that was wonderful and funny!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 12:27:27 AM »

I believe your name is listed amongst the winners, George.  Anyone who guesses correctly is a WINNER.  The prize-winner is chosen arbitrarily and at random, but everyone who guesses correctly is a true WINNER.

XENOPHOBIA, baby, XENOPHOBIA!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 12:34:49 AM »

It's was the clue "one of musical theatre's greatest leading men."  For me, that could only be Alfred Drake.  I went to Mr. Drake's credits, after that it was a cake-walk.

I am honoured to be among so many distinguished winners whose knowledge of these things is so superior to my own.  I just got lucky this time.

I haven't watched the Olympics in years.  As a consequence, I have no favourite Olympic moments.  I remember, as most of a certain age do, the horrible attack on the Israeli team by terrorists back whenever it was.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 12:35:31 AM »

And Mr. BK, you know my address, you silly man!

George

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 12:36:51 AM »

I believe your name is listed amongst the winners, George.  Anyone who guesses correctly is a WINNER.  The prize-winner is chosen arbitrarily and at random, but everyone who guesses correctly is a true WINNER.

Thank you, BK, for that!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 12:42:51 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 12:37:40 AM »

Oh...BK, NUDIE MUSICAL did indeed play on the Z channel.  I know because that where I first saw it.

The Z Channel was a great thing...and like too many great things, it left us far too soon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 12:42:05 AM »

And was usurped by others, as usually happens with good ideas done well.

I can give you your sparkling prize if we sup this week.

George

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 12:44:24 AM »

It's was the clue "one of musical theatre's greatest leading men."  For me, that could only be Alfred Drake.  I went to Mr. Drake's credits, after that it was a cake-walk.

I'm not going to say what specific piece of information led me to the correct answer, because I'm afraid that that kind of information may not be included in future contests...although it hasn't always been in previous ones, nor has it helped me every time that it has been included...but it has more times that not. ;)

George

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 01:31:10 AM »

I'm (finally) off to bed. 8)

Ben

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 04:32:20 AM »

I, like Mr. Pogue, don't have many Olympic memories. I have friends who make time to watch both Winter and Summer games but, I guess my general dislike of sports just makes it easier to skip watching. If the Olympics come to NY (highly unlikely) I think I will be able to continue not watching.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 04:33:04 AM »

Hello, Woody. Just you and me this morning and I'm about to leave to wash my oatmeal bowl.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 04:36:54 AM »

And I am leaving (after catching up) for the grandlads' "graduation" ceremonies, Alex from second grade and William from Pre-K.

I'm late, I'm late for a very important date!
No time to say hello, goodbye, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2005, 05:12:43 AM »

Another late sleeping day!  The heat is unbearable, and last night no amount of oscillating fans could render me unconscious.  It was as though a heavy, hot damp blanket lay over me opressing movement and leaving the parts of my body and sheet not in the wake of the fans drenched in sweat.  No, I do not like this weather.  The weather reports promise relief soon, but soon is not soon enough.

I have no memories of "Olympic moments" even though I catch a goodly part of summer and winter broadcasts.  I loathe women's gymnastics the most:  I find their silly prancing about between the tumbling and leaping to be lousy choreography and a test of my patience.

I am crabby this morning!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 05:45:33 AM »

Godd evening Tomovoz!! Did you have a lovely day? Are you feeling better?  How is your autumn?

As you can see by dear elmore's post our late spring is very hot!!!

Sorry to say dear elmore but they are tlaking about high 90's again today
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005, 05:52:43 AM »

I cannot remeber any specific Olympic events other than Mark Spitz and the year it was in Atlant and the women';s gymnastics team won whenthe girl who had sprained her ankle still managed to make a spectacular leap over the horse

I like to watch the unparallel bars events and hte rings... the way those gymnasts seem to defy gravity

And I like the ice dancing,  but I never go out of my way to watch the Olympics, if I happen to turn on the TV and its on well I'll watch for a while

Personally I am not in favor of NY getting the Olypmics, I think that it will cost more than it will bring in (just like the Republican convention last summer), and it will just increase NY's  attractiveness as a   target .

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2005, 06:04:40 AM »

I'm a nut for the Olympics and I always look forward to both winter and summer editions.  Favorite memories include:

The Miracle on Ice--US Men's Hockey Team beating the Russians in 1980.

The archer who ignited the Olympic flame with an arrow (I think that was Barcelona '92.)

Speed skater Dan Jansen finally winning a gold medal in '94.

After all the ugliness of the fixed judging of the pairs skating in 02, the Russian and Canadian teams coming out and skating together in a pas de quatre(?).  And then the Russian team doing a beautiful Tramp and the Kid routine in the exhibitions performances.

Tonya Harding skating to the Theme from Godzilla (or was it the Theme from Jurassic Park?)

Skater Sarah Hughes coming out of nowhere and delivering a dead-on perfect performance with a big bright smile on her face throughout in 02.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 06:12:47 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2005, 06:05:38 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~ ~ ~ ~ ~  JOB INTERVIEW VIBES FOR DR JED  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2005, 06:14:27 AM »

I was living in Los Angeles during the 1984 Olympics and since most natives left town to avoid them there was less traffic and it was so much easier to get around.  The buses were empty and running faster and there were not nearlyas many cars on the streets.  As soon as the Olympians left, the natives came home and trafic and bus service returned to its usual mess.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

vixmom

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2005, 06:14:59 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~ MOST EXCELLENT INTERVIEW VIBES FOR DR JED~~~~[/move]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 06:17:31 AM by vixmom »

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2005, 06:23:18 AM »

A legend from the Tokyo Olympic Games in 1964.  The Japanese female Volleyball team  was very strong and won a glorious gold medal, and they have been called “Witches of the Orient” since then.   I have no idea why people called the girls such a terrific nickname.  I suppose…that they endured through unthinkable hard trainings for the Olympics under a manager called “Demon”, who was unnaturally madly strict, that’s why the girls were given the nickname(I think they’re GOOD witches)  The story still is introduced every time the Olympic year comes.  There is no Wiches or Demon nowadays.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2005, 06:27:48 AM »

I'm not sure...Mark Spitz is said to have founded an institution for handicapped children and counsels them with dolphins there, in Florida.

vixmom

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2005, 06:41:26 AM »

Did you know you could hire Mark Spitz to come to your next event?  I wonder how he would fit in at my July 3 barbeque/pool party, in my 4 foot, 15 foot round pool......

http://www.markspitzusa.com/

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2005, 06:48:17 AM »

For some reason I can vividly remember Japanese gymnast Shun Fujimoto who, during the 1976 Olympics, competed even though he had just broken his leg. That has always stayed in my mind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2005, 06:56:05 AM »

Good Morning!

10:00 and still no "official" call from the contractor...

:-\

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2005, 06:59:29 AM »

I seem to be waking around 9:15 lately instead of my usual 10:45 or 11:50, so...  It's been nice having some "extra" day in my day.

As soon as I woke up, I turned on the radio, and heard the weather report... UGH!  I have a feeling I won't step out of the house until I have to head into the theatre today.  And it's also the first day with an official Heat Advisory, so it must be hot....  But it's summer, so it's supposed to be, so...

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2005, 07:05:43 AM »

As for the Olympics...

Two words:  Greg Louganis

;D

-Actually, when he hit his head on the diving board... OUCH!  -And I really did think he and Steve Kmetko made a nice looking couple.  ;)

Otherwise, the Olympics are basically another "tv special" to me.  I'm not a true sports fan by any means, but sometimes I do find myself tuning in and rooting for someone.

The last time the US Men's Gymnastics team won the Gold.  *And as a friend of mine observed: The cuter the team, the higher they place.  Hmmm...

There are a few ice dancing, and pairs figure skating routines I sort of remember, as well as some Men's and Women's solo programs.  I can see the costumes whizzing over the ice, but no names are coming to mind right now.

In any case...

I need breakfast...  back in a few...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2005, 07:19:54 AM »

As for the Olympics...

Two words:  Greg Louganis

;D

-
for you Jose