Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MY HEAD IS SWIMMING  (Read 16419 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MY HEAD IS SWIMMING
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2005, 11:00:25 AM »

And one for Martha.

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2005, 11:04:13 AM »

Yesterday DR Jose wrote about MAMMA MIA:
They're spiffing things up for the Canadian leg of the tour in a few weeks.

Yep, they will be here from July 12-24. And I will be seeing it on the 23rd!

Do you know if it will be the same cast (and who that is?)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 11:05:14 AM by Jennifer »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2005, 11:06:33 AM »

The Tree People are back.  It's about to get noisy.  I just got back from Kinko's, where I had to return the job I picked up yesterday.  They have an approval system now, where they print out a copy and you sign off on it.  I did so the other day, "with changes" and wrote the three things that needed to be fixed (I brought them a CD with a word document, and their computers did something weird to the spacing at three different spots).  It was a simple job of using the space bar to move three header titles that had somehow moved to the bottom of pages (they were at the top in my word doc), to the top of the next page.  Unfortunately, they did that but went one space too many, so that the header was not exactly at the top of the page - so, in those three spots it screwed up things on those pages, space-wise.  They're redoing it for free right now and I'll pick it up at two.  However, this time I brought them a PDF so they can't screw anything up.

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2005, 11:14:55 AM »

Re: the new Light In the Piazza cd.

Does anybody else here dislike when cds come in boxes?  I don't hate it, but I really am not too fond of it.

And what was with them not even putting the name of the cd on the cd cover.  Only a pic with nothing else written.  Considering I'm sure many people keep only the cd case, I cannot believe they did that.

The booklet is quite nice and easy to read.  But with all those pages you'd think they could have put a synopsis.  I think that would be very important for this story.  I found it especially necessary because there is no explanation about Clara's problems (which to me is an extremely relevant and important part of the story).

I've only listened to it once. But so far my fav is track 2 (what they sang on the Tonys). Love that song.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2005, 11:19:48 AM »

BK, have you seen Martha Tilton in the 1945 crime-drame (with music) CRIME, INC?

I have it on DVD but have not watched it yet. It also stars Mr. Tom Neal of DETOUR fame.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2005, 11:24:33 AM »

Yesterday DR Jose wrote about MAMMA MIA:Yep, they will be here from July 12-24. And I will be seeing it on the 23rd!

Do you know if it will be the same cast (and who that is?)

Yes, it will be the same company - Tour 1 closed last year.  They will be working their way across Canada in about 12 weeks - ending in Vancouver.   -Boy, would I love to be in Vancouver in the fall!  ;)

In any case...

If you go to:

http://www.mamma-mia.com

And click on North America - US Tour... there will be links to the cast list and bios.

OH! - and it looks like they've updated the site too.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2005, 11:27:20 AM »

I am sure there are lots of films that would fall into this category of the TOD, but one that comes to mind is the movie ARNOLD.

It still has a great title song, an interesting premise (a young woman marries an older man who happens to be dead and then people around her start to die in stange ways.)  A reasonable good cast, Stella Stevens, Roddy McDowall, Elsa Lancaster, Shani Wallis, Victor Buono, John McGiver, Farley Granger, Bernard Foz, Jamie Farr. BUT it just didn't work for me. It was a major diappointment for me.

Oh my good, good-ness! (an Ain't Misbehavin' reference!)  My sister and I saw this when we were kids!  I thought that it was so scary!  I haven't thought about this movie in years!  (Can I write another sentence with an exclamation point?)  Yes!  I can! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2005, 11:27:34 AM »

Kraft Canada has this cool magazine that they send out free. But most of the recipes seem to be on the website.

http://www.kraftcanada.com/summer

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2005, 11:28:26 AM »

I remember the coming attraction for ARNOLD that played on TV and it scared the heck out of me!

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2005, 11:29:44 AM »

Thanks DR jose.  That is weird none of the Montreal dates are listed. :(

George

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2005, 11:34:04 AM »

Does anybody else here dislike when cds come in boxes?  I don't hate it, but I really am not too fond of it.

And what was with them not even putting the name of the cd on the cd cover.  Only a pic with nothing else written.  Considering I'm sure many people keep only the cd case, I cannot believe they did that.

The booklet is quite nice and easy to read.  But with all those pages you'd think they could have put a synopsis.  I think that would be very important for this story.  I found it especially necessary because there is no explanation about Clara's problems (which to me is an extremely relevant and important part of the story).

I've only listened to it once. But so far my fav is track 2 (what they sang on the Tonys). Love that song.

I agree with you on this.  It also seems like wasted resources.  Too much extra stuff when a simple booklet that has the lyrics and a synopsis would be fine.  And they can use a smaller font size to save a little more paper. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2005, 11:38:58 AM »

Haven't seen Crime, Inc. but am really enjoying her in Swing Hostess.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2005, 11:39:02 AM »

Thanks DR jose.  That is weird none of the Montreal dates are listed. :(

There always seem to be some cities and dates left off the "upcoming cities" list.  Even major venues.

???
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2005, 11:39:55 AM »

Re: Light in the Piazza

I heard Barbara Walters discuss seeing this show the other day.  And sadly I learned more from her discussion, then I did from the entire booklet that came with the cd.

She (Barbara) had mentioned that the show had touched her because she also had grown up with a sister who was mentally challenged (like Clara was).

Now listening to the cd, it is clear that Victoria Clark (Clara's mom) does not want to leave her alone. And it's clear that Clara has problems (she freaks out).  

Does anybody have any idea why they chose not to include a synopsis, or at least disclose key aspects of the story?

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2005, 11:40:59 AM »

There always seem to be some cities and dates left off the "upcoming cities" list.  Even major venues.

???

Well as long as they are still coming here!

It just seems so odd to have some cities and not others.

MBarnum

« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2005, 11:44:02 AM »

I think I will perhaps pick up that Musical Classics set tonight, if Best Buy has it in stock.

Martha is doing one of those western memorabilia shows back east and I will see if they would kindly put me in touch with her. Then I shall interview her and all the world will know the Liltin' Martha Tilton story!

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2005, 11:45:27 AM »

Where is Jack Randall Earles today?! I think he must be at the thee-ator!

Jed

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2005, 11:53:13 AM »

Nonesuch did the same with the previous two Guettel projects.  Don't like it too much, but no real biggie.  I do, however, think the lack of Piazza synopsis a bit odd.  If I hadn't seen the show, I would have been a bit confused.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2005, 11:56:18 AM »

That Musicals Box is worth it just to have THE GREAT GABBO, which is one of the more hilariously bad films you'll ever see. Erich von Stroheim as a very angry ventriloquist. His dummy is qute comical and sings a couple very catchy tunes. There are some truly bizarre musical numbers.

I've seen boxed sets like that with horror films and crime films and "family" films too, but I feared the quality would be prohibitive.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2005, 11:57:04 AM »

Jen, I'm not crazy about the packaging on this CD either.  If you look on the last page of the booklet, it tells you to go to the nonesuch website to read the synopsis.  Trouble is, it is so horribly written that it makes the story of the show sound like a complete mess.  Ugh!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 12:42:40 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2005, 12:09:47 PM »

That Musicals Box is worth it just to have THE GREAT GABBO, which is one of the more hilariously bad films you'll ever see. Erich von Stroheim as a very angry ventriloquist. His dummy is qute comical and sings a couple very catchy tunes. There are some truly bizarre musical numbers.

I've seen boxed sets like that with horror films and crime films and "family" films too, but I feared the quality would be prohibitive.

DR Rodzinski, I have the Sci-Fi box and it is not too bad....I liked it as there were several titles that I didn't really want to spring good money for, and yet I was curious about them...and since each movie comes out to be like 60 cents a piece..well! The pic quality varied, but if you can find a good price on the set I would go for it.

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2005, 12:14:05 PM »

At Fred Meyers this last weekend I picked up a box set of 30 "Mobster" films for $10.00! Some wonderful titles...most from the 1930 and 40s...a couple from 1929, and a couple from the 1950s...all crime-drama stuff I had never seen before, and most I had never even heard of...rather obscure titles.

I watched one film from it already and enjoyed it quite a lot...it starred Anne Nagel, Ward Bond, and Steffi Dunn....the picture quality was really very nice.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2005, 01:02:48 PM »

And the word of the day is: DYSPEPSIA!
Dyspepsia only one calorie.  Coke Zero has no calories, but tastes like it, too.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2005, 01:07:23 PM »

Re: Light in the Piazza

I heard Barbara Walters discuss seeing this show the other day.  And sadly I learned more from her discussion, then I did from the entire booklet that came with the cd.

She (Barbara) had mentioned that the show had touched her because she also had grown up with a sister who was mentally challenged (like Clara was).

Now listening to the cd, it is clear that Victoria Clark (Clara's mom) does not want to leave her alone. And it's clear that Clara has problems (she freaks out).  

Does anybody have any idea why they chose not to include a synopsis, or at least disclose key aspects of the story?

I don't think that it's a big secret (the show is based on a novel and movie).  I read an interview with Victoria Clark and she openly talked about when they were developing the show, they were deciding where to put the "reveal" of Clara's problem.  They tried different places in the first act and the second act and finally settled on where it is now (I forget...I've only listened to it twice).  Anyway, it doesn't have any big surprises like Wicked does.  I can understand why they didn't put a synopsis (which I got from a fellow HHWer :)) in the CD for that show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2005, 01:08:16 PM »

On my way to pick up packages, including the newly released DVDs of Danger: Diabolik (very excited about that one), The Reviers, and Prime Cut.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2005, 01:16:14 PM »

Thanks for the info on JOHNNY GUITAR. I will check it out momentarily.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2005, 01:16:26 PM »

New DVDs in the mail (somebody STOP me):

Nightmare Alley
The Razor's Edge
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

New CD in the mail:

Sondheim Sings Vol. 1
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2005, 01:18:30 PM »

I still think the movie of SWEET CHARITY is mostly marvelous. Fosse got carried away with his big, new toy and went crazy with too many zooms, but I still find it an  immeasurably more entertaining and faithful version of a Broadway musical than HELLO, DOLLY or MAME ended up being. And Shirley macLaine has never been given the credit she deserved for making Charity the ultimate lovable loser.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2005, 01:23:09 PM »

Quite enjoyed NIGHTMARE ALLEY today. Hadn't seen it in awhile, and it was grand watching it in an ALMOST pristine print. However, why for the love of pete did they have a transfer missing a couple of frames. When it jumped about halfway through, I thought my DVD player was having a heart attack. Then, I realized it was I having the heart attack. Why would Fox DO that? Surely they could have found that scene intact somewhere in their archives.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2005, 01:26:37 PM »

Loving Tyrone Power as much as I do made me put in WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION as soon as NIGHTMARE ALLEY finished. Since it was being discussed the other day here on the forum, I wanted to watch it again. It's been awhile.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up