Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MY HEAD IS SWIMMING  (Read 16434 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:MY HEAD IS SWIMMING
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2005, 01:42:42 PM »

And one for Mahler!  I just had to do it. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2005, 01:45:34 PM »

TCB, you have not responed to my response to your e-mail. Or do you not know the answer yet...perhaps Jed knows the answer, although he probably does not know the question.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2005, 02:06:02 PM »

I haven't gotten all the way through THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, but Matthew Morrison is the one who has blown me away thus far. After HAIRSPRAY, I had NO idea he could sing like this.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2005, 02:25:01 PM »

Off to Pirate game at Yankee Stadium. Should be a swell affair.

Swell-tering, that is!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2005, 02:26:10 PM »

Back from the mail place - only the box of DVDs was there - not the two overnight shipments I was told would be here.  e-mails have been written, oh, yes, e-mails have been written.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2005, 02:56:31 PM »

The Lovely Wife and I thought Where's Poppa was a screamingly funny, brilliant comedy when we first saw it in college.  We thought it so funny, we went and dragged my parents to it the following night.  They must have thought we were insane.  Years later we're sitting here and it crops up on one of the movie channels.  Man. were we disappointed.  Spectacularly unfunny.  So laboured and forced.

Keith and I found the movie screamingly funny.  My father refused to see it. ;D  I have been hesitant to watch it again and will heed your advice.

Jane

« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2005, 03:15:08 PM »

No shaking here, but they did evacuate some of the Oregon coastal towns yesterday...a brief panic.

Where?  I only read about the California coast, in particular along the coast line we drove home on.  I’m sure glad we missed it.

George

« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2005, 03:19:40 PM »

I haven't gotten all the way through THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, but Matthew Morrison is the one who has blown me away thus far. After HAIRSPRAY, I had NO idea he could sing like this.

I like his voice a lot, but I would have thought that his pronunciations of the Italian would have been more ... correct, I guess.  I mean, to me he sounds like an American singing in Italian, not a native Italian singing in his native language.  Just my 2˘.  But otherwise, I really do like his voice. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2005, 03:22:10 PM »

DR Jane, the news mentioned Cannon Beach and Seaside. It showed pictures of people and cars fleeing...looked sort of like one of those 1950s sci-fi films where everyone is fleeing the city.

Jane

« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2005, 03:24:10 PM »

Kraft Canada has this cool magazine that they send out free. But most of the recipes seem to be on the website.

http://www.kraftcanada.com/summer

A couple of years ago while traveling in Canada I discovered Christie ginger cookies (not sure of the exact name).  I wrote Kraft Canada to find where to purchase them.  Kraft Canada said I had to talk to Kraft in the States and passed me along.  I emailed Kraft a few more times and the only response I ever received was someone would get in touch with me.  I expected more from Kraft.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2005, 03:29:44 PM »

MBarnum-LOL.   On the pier in Bandon are directions what to do in case of a Tsunami warning.  Basically it says to run really fast to high ground. ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2005, 03:46:21 PM »

Of course, the media panicked everyone yesterday, with their cries of TSUNAMI.  How man TSUNAMI's has California had in its history - actual TSUNAMIs, not warnings (there have been four warnings, including yesterday's, in CA's history).  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2005, 03:47:23 PM »

I shall now be on my way to rehearsal with Mr. Spirtas.

MBarnum

« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2005, 04:35:08 PM »

A couple of fun movies releasing on DVD Sept. 6th...MR HOBBS TAKES A VACATION and GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN.

I know JRand54 will be most pleased with the first title!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2005, 04:54:13 PM »

Of course, the media panicked everyone yesterday, with their cries of TSUNAMI.  How man TSUNAMI's has California had in its history - actual TSUNAMIs, not warnings (there have been four warnings, including yesterday's, in CA's history).  

Well, I don't know how many tsunami California has had in their history, but I remember the tusnami (then called a tidal wave) of 1964, following the Alaska earthquake.  The "tsunami" caused damage in Prince William Sound in Alaska, Vancouver Island in Canada, and damage up and down the coast of California.  The worst damage was in Crescent City where one wave that struck the city was 21 feet high.  I would say that would be something worth warning people about.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2005, 05:01:47 PM »

I would prefer warnings be issued and all be well than the reverse.  

Danise

« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2005, 05:15:32 PM »

Hi all.  Sorry to say I won't be here long.  I was right.  Mowing the lawn on a work night was a BIG mistake.  I am so tired right now.

I have to get up early as well because I have a blood draw in the morning.  

Jane!  I'm so very glad to see you back, safe and sound.  I hope you both had a wonderful trip!   :)

Did you see the pictures I posted in the tech section of the Muse and the Milford?  

I promised BK I would delete the file when you said you had.  If you want/need any of them, I will gladly email them to you.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2005, 05:17:44 PM »

Well, I don't know how many tsunami California has had in their history, but I remember the tusnami (then called a tidal wave) of 1964, following the Alaska earthquake.  The "tsunami" caused damage in Prince William Sound in Alaska, Vancouver Island in Canada, and damage up and down the coast of California.  The worst damage was in Crescent City where one wave that struck the city was 21 feet high.  I would say that would be something worth warning people about.

It's the same thing with the Hurricanes we have.  We have so many warnings that don't come true that people stop listening to them.

Well, you see what that kind of thinking got people last year.  I also would prefer to err to side of caution.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2005, 05:26:45 PM »

Good Evening!

8:30pm EDT...Hmm..  Guess I should get some dinner...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2005, 05:38:15 PM »

Danise I did see the photos.  :) Thank you.

George

« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2005, 05:51:32 PM »

Tonight, a local semi-professional theater company (Harlequin Productions) is having a volunteer thank you dinner/free final dress performance of their next show, a Motown revue called "Dancin' in the Aisles:  a Motor City Rock ’n’ Soul Celebration!"  It should be very good.  There is no dialogue, no set ups, no introductions, no "characters," just song after song after song.  Last year they put together their own show called "Dancin' in the Street" and it was a huge success.  There was so much music that they wanted to use last year and couldn't, they decided to have a second version this year.

George

« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2005, 05:53:52 PM »

So that's where I'm going right now.  I'll give a report when I get back later tonight.  The dinner starts at 6:30 and the show starts at 8:00.  It'll probably a couple of hours long...maybe more.  And now, off to the theatre! ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2005, 06:02:22 PM »

It's the same thing with the Hurricanes we have.  We have so many warnings that don't come true that people stop listening to them.

Well, you see what that kind of thinking got people last year.  I also would prefer to err to side of caution.  

The fact that an area or a coastline has no history of tsunami is what makes them even more deadly.  If the Indian Ocean countries had ever had a history of these waves, they would have had a warning system set up to protect them, in case of another one.  The fact was that they had never had a tsunami in recorded history, so they had never worried about them before.  There was a warning issued to those countries by some scientists almost thirty minutes before the waves hit, but there were no sirens or warning bells on any of the beaches to warn the population.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2005, 07:37:19 PM »

ENjoyed seeing WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION on DVD again after a too-long absence. Not the greatest transfer in the world, but I certainly appreciate having it full and complete.

(spoilers)

I have done the play twice (once as Carter, once as Vole), and all three of the major surprises at the end of the movie are in the play, too: Vole's guilt, Christine's (Romaine in the play) admission of being the mystery woman, and Vole's murder by his wife. The film is different only in that Sir Wilfred is going to represent Christine in her trial for murdering Leonard.

Can those who were saying the film's ending was so different make it clearer what is different? Of course, the short story that Christie first wrote is vastly different in that the only surprise there is that Leonard is guilty, not innocent, of the crime, but the play greatly expands on that surprise with additional twists.

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2005, 07:39:15 PM »

Got around to RENO 911! tonight. I didn't think it measured up in any way to the first two seasons without them doing inept things in a parody of COPS. Love the characters but most of the show was bankrupt of ideas.

Trudy's bed and breakfast (where she made her guests do her housework and wait on her) was funny, but I really didn't find anything else very amusing.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2005, 07:42:24 PM »

Also watched an original STAR TREK episode. This one was the one where the crew meets Abraham Lincoln in space. No, not one of the better episodes, but I had never seen it. On DVD, these episodes certainly are wonderfully sharp and colorful compared to what I used to watch on NBC.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2005, 08:29:22 PM »

Iz you kiddin' me?  I leave at four o'clock and come back at eight-thirty, and we're not past page FOUR???

This will NOT do, oh, no, this will NOT do.  We're on our way to a new all-time low, and the reason for this is what?  Sloth?  Lazy butt cheek sitting?  

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2005, 08:47:43 PM »

We're on our way to a new all-time low, and the reason for this is what?  Sloth?  Lazy butt cheek sitting?  

I have spent a fascinating evening at a burglar alarm class at the police department.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Tomovoz

« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2005, 08:59:54 PM »

My day has been at war with my tape deck which I suspect needs replacement  recording and playing heads. I have won the battle today and actually recorded some tracks on tape and then to CD. Without a doubt I shall lose the war.

Todays' recordings were "The Songs The Beatles Gave Away" to Billy J Kramer, Cilla Black, P J Proby, Badfinger, Mary Hopkin and Peter & Gordon.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2005, 09:01:15 PM »

Last night's viewing (thank you to OzDerek) was "Return to Oz" which we found devoid of charm and heart.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up