Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PORTLAND, HERE I COME!  (Read 26215 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PORTLAND, HERE I COME!
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2005, 08:39:00 AM »

Everything is packed and am just waiting for the car to arrive, and then I shall be on my way to the Burbank Airport.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2005, 08:43:35 AM »

All right, then, I shall pack up Ye Olde Computer and wait for the car.  Back online in Portland.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2005, 08:57:14 AM »

Safe travels!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2005, 10:45:59 AM »

STill working on the Trivia Question.

RE: captions under photos.  Yes DRTCB - my sister was most amused by my photo on the front page of the Greencastle Banner-Graphic standing upstage of two other cast members.  The photo caption declared:

Jack Randall Earles rear stars as Tony Wendice in DIAL M FOR MURDER.

And again next to a picture of me in some other show, this one thankfully on an inside page:  CHILD MOLESTER CAUGHT, JAILED
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2005, 10:46:26 AM »

DR George are you going to the gathering tonight or the reading on Monday...or both?

I am also looking quite forward to finally meeting DRs TCB and Jed, who I believe are planning to be at Monday's reading...I do wish DR Ann would come too as I would very much enjoy meeting her!

I am definitely going to be in the Land of Port today, Sunday!  I had not decided on tomorrow, but I took the day off from work, just in case. ;)

If Jed and TCB (and hopefully Ann) want to carpool tomorrow, I'd be more than happy to join them!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2005, 10:49:54 AM »

I love the impressionists, particularly Monet - but I don't own any so I have to enjoy Other People's Monet.

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2005, 11:23:53 AM »

Save travels to BK, on your way to my hometown.  I was born in Portland and sure wish I could be there today and tomorrow for the festivities!

TOD - Mark Tobey, a painter associated closely with the Pacific Northwest and known for his "white writing" style.  My favorite of his is titled "Broadway Melody" and hangs in The University of Michigan Museum of Art in Ann Arbor.

We are in the throes of our Father's Day celebration for DH Richard.  He requested bacon-wrapped filet mignon, baked potatoes, green beans, and pumpkin pie (which I baked early this morning).  Time to put the potatoes in the oven and go pick up the grandmas (his mother and mine) for the dinner party.

Happy Father's Day!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2005, 11:31:59 AM »

I have put the trivia question away for a bit.  Every lead I follow turns out to be a dead end.

More thinking is needed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2005, 11:32:19 AM »

I also like Mondrian!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2005, 11:38:10 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Ah... So nice to be able to sleep till Noon!  -I needed it - just not sleeping well the past few days....

And now I think it's time for a nap!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2005, 11:39:41 AM »

OH!

And in the continuing saga that is Dramma Mia!, tonight's rehearsal was cancelled too due to another illness in the cast.  -The Washington, DC, air has been getting to a lot of people - allergies, sinus infections, throat infections, etc.  Ugh!

But I have the day off!  With pay!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2005, 11:44:24 AM »

I'm a Turner man myself as far as painting goes.  I'm also very fond of Frank Frazetta.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »

Topic of the Day:

Big time Francophile here, so.... Seurat, Monet, Manet, Caillebotte, Delacroix, etc., etc., etc...

As for favorite paintings...  It really is truly amazing how seeing a painting in person is such a totally different experience from seeing it reprinted in a book.  Even though paintings are essentially a two-dimensional art, there is definitely a third and fourth dimension added to them in person.  The brush strokes, the texture of the canvas, the layers of the paint, the reflection of light...  I was particularly struck by the first Rembrandt I had even seen in person.  On paper, they look like portraits, but "in person"... So much more.  Much more.  (Ah, a Fantasticks reference.

But my favorite painting for a myriad of reasons is Seurat's "...La Grand Jatte".   I still remember crying the first time I saw it at the AIC.  Beautiful.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2005, 11:58:51 AM »

Well, the fudge for the Portland Gathering is done!  I made regular and cashew fudge.  Now, all I have to do is find some clean clothes, take a shower and wait for my sister's boyfriend to bring his camera.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2005, 12:12:47 PM »

Safe travels to everyone!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2005, 12:13:53 PM »

Happy Father's Day to all HHW Fathers of all sorts!

???

I think that makes sense...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2005, 12:14:31 PM »

OK - I need to make a run up to the auto supply store to pick up some auto supplies...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2005, 12:16:04 PM »

Interesting WalMart choices for Father's Day gifts discovered by DR SANDRA and photographed by DRLAURA.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2005, 12:17:02 PM »

The upper West Coast will soon be rocking!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2005, 12:24:17 PM »

Well, as strange as it may seem, I'm going to ask for some "sick" vibes for today.  I want to take tomorrow off without having to lie about it, so I need to be sick today.  Not sick enough that I'd be unable to attend tomorrow, but enough that I'd be wise to take the day off to avoid infecting the kids.  So, bring on the sickness!  I have a fairly good chance of it, based on the stomach flu that knocking out half of our staff last Thursday and Friday...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2005, 12:26:27 PM »

DR S Woody White what do you do so it read Juneteenth and not the actual website. I never can seem to do that!
http://I type in what I want to have highlighted in blue first.  Then I highlight that area, and hit the url button.  The highlighted type automatically is surrounded by the url and /url in brackets.  After the first url (but before the end bracket), I type =, and then enter the website's address.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2005, 12:27:48 PM »

Only 9 1/2 hours until the I meet Mr. Bruce Kimmel in the flesh.
Hmmm...normally, he wears clothes when appearing in public.  Is he granting you a private interview?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2005, 12:37:31 PM »

Sick vibes for DR Ann!
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]~[/size]~[size=20]~[/size]~[size=20]~[/size]~[size=20]~[/size]~[size=20]~[/size]~[size=20]~[/size]~[size=20]~[/size][/move]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 12:38:32 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2005, 12:46:43 PM »

Speaking of Seurat and Caillebotte, on our first visit to the Art Institute of Chicago der Brucer and I saw works by both artists.  

Georgie was, of course, represented by La Grande Jatte.  I beelined to that painting, naturally, Sondhead that I am.  But at the time, the AIC was holding a special exhibition of the works of Gustave Caillebotte.  I'd seen Paris Street, Rainy Day before, in reproductions.  More erotic (!!!) by far was his large canvas, Les Raboteurs de Parquet (The Floor Scrapers).  WOOF!!!

George

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2005, 12:56:20 PM »

Well, as strange as it may seem, I'm going to ask for some "sick" vibes for today.  I want to take tomorrow off without having to lie about it, so I need to be sick today.  Not sick enough that I'd be unable to attend tomorrow, but enough that I'd be wise to take the day off to avoid infecting the kids.  So, bring on the sickness!  I have a fairly good chance of it, based on the stomach flu that knocking out half of our staff last Thursday and Friday...

Ann, there is such a thing a "preventative medicine."  Even if you aren't technically sick, you'd be doing your work a huge favor by not going to work if there is even the remotest possibility of becoming sick!  I read an article a couple of months ago that said that companies lose much, much, much (that's three muches) more money when people go to work sick than if the sick people stay home and get well, because when they go to work sick, they infect everyone else and that causes everyone else to call in sick!  So, be a good worker and call in sick ANYWAY!! ;D

George

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2005, 12:56:58 PM »

Ann, would it be possible for you to work a half day and leave early?  Just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 12:57:17 PM by George »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2005, 12:57:14 PM »

It feels good to get off my feet.  I'm getting more secure with the cashier job with each shift.  

Still, I wasn't expecting the one fellow who showed up in line.  He had distracted eyes, and a hand basket filled with items from all over the store.  He had items for babies.  He had items for dogs.  He had fresh produce, meat, and a hodgepodge of items.  No, he didn't have a bonus card, but he was able to supply me with a phone number, so we were able to discount a number of items.  When it came time for payment, he patted down his pockets, and said he's have to dash to the parking lot and get the checkbook from his wife.  

OK.   ::)  So he dashed out, and I waited.  So did the two men immediately behind him (with a full cart).  So did the woman behind the two men (with another full cart).  After a couple of minutes, I figured that the fellow had flaked on us, called over Dixie, one of the floor managers, and told her what had happened.  She keyed into my pad that the sale was void, we moved it all to the side to be redistributed through the store, and I proceeded to check out the two men...uh, the two men's baske...uh, the two men's cart.

Not too bad a day, really.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2005, 01:01:50 PM »

Couldn't help myself as I watched APOLLO 13 today for the zillionith time. It never fails to make me weep uncontrollably, and I think the entire thing is put together staggeringly well.

I remember the incident at the time it actually happened, but seeing the movie made it seem so much more frightening and tension-filled than it seemed at the time. Perhaps I was just too young at the time of the actual mission to aprpeciate the precariousness of life it represented. Every time I watch the film now, however, that sense of life's preciousness is made even more acute through this marvelous movie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2005, 01:03:32 PM »

I have HEIST cued up now in the player and will watch it later this afternoon/early evening.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2005, 01:04:52 PM »

Indeed, a happy Father's Day to all the daddys in these parts (and others).

In conjunction with this, it should be noted that this is also National Martini Day!

:D

I'll drink to that!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up