Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GETTING THE PERKS BALL ROLLING  (Read 5588 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
GETTING THE PERKS BALL ROLLING
« on: August 28, 2022, 12:08:35 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes got the ball rolling, and now it is time for you to post until the ball-rolling cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: GETTING THE PERKS BALL ROLLING
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 12:09:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: SENSIBILITY!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 04:26:57 AM »

Good morning, friends.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 04:27:24 AM »

I have nothing but this post to contribute at this time.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 04:42:17 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 04:43:33 AM »

The alarm rang at six. To the cats' dismay, I finally dragged myself out of bed at 6:55. They've had their breakfast so they are speaking to me once again.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 04:44:45 AM »

Thatch is napping in the cat tree, Stella's lounging on the floor, and Annabelle is dozing in her empty carton of cat food on my computer table.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 04:45:16 AM »

DR George, if it was a going-away party last night, where;s the actor going away to?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 04:47:40 AM »

There's no word from Ohio, as if I expected any, and I plan to do as very little possible today. I have to look over my overture, now that the sketch is finished, and I have to write another orchestra piece for these December concerts.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 04:53:39 AM »

DR Jeanne, most of my memorabilia worth anything was put away at Miami University Library when the cats came to be my family. The only valuable - if it is -- thing in the apartment besiudes my talent is a framed Gershwin drawing given to me by Ira's widow Leonora as an opening night gift for the California Music Theatre production of Strike Up the Band, around 1988.

I don't know what it's worth. The drawing - a self portrait, I think - is unsigned and George's signature from a canceled check is framed with it. Leonora did this quite frequently.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 05:24:14 AM »

Wordle 435 4/6

🟨⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 05:24:22 AM »

I must get to church
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2022, 05:31:51 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2022, 05:32:14 AM »

John G.

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2022, 05:35:01 AM »

Lounging on the heating pad.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2022, 05:38:14 AM »

Fourteen years ago today I discovered I was diabetic after a summer of nausea, stomach issues, general feeling of malaise, and a constant need to pee. The absdolutely inept doctor assigned to me by my HMO once again completely missed the boat: he spent the summer sending me off for x-rasys and tests. On Aug, 27, I was at a birthday party with friends and, after I described my symptoms, one of the guests said "You're diabetic!" My memory is that former DRs Ben and JoseSpiano were there.

The next morning I made an appointment with my doctor, and I saw him around 2:00.  After I told him my thoughts on the issue of diabetes, he checked my blood for the first time ever. He looked at the meter reading for a long, long time. Then he said, you need to go to a hospital for insulin immediately.

I came home, sent a group email to a lot of friends and family - I thought I might be dying - and took a No. 7 or 11 bus to St. Lukes at 114th Street. I was in the ER until midnight on two bags of insulin The doctors there tried to call my asshole MD, who never answered the phone. Former DR Jose showed up around 5:00 with his new Smart Phone and stayed with me until my release.

About a year later, I got a phone call from my HMO asking for my thoughts on their service. I told them the doctor assigned to me was an inept incompetent fool waiting out retirtement who had misdiagnosed me at least three times between 1998 and 2008, all resulting is serious health issues, three surgeries, and two visits between Aug. 28 and LAbor Day to the ER.

About a month later, the doctor retired ad I was assigned a very good doctor.

ChasSmith

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2022, 05:59:21 AM »

Good morning, all.

John G.

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2022, 06:10:16 AM »

Scary story, Elmore. Glad you finally got a good doctor. Makes all the difference in the world.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2022, 06:12:58 AM »

That’s a hell of a story, DR Elmore. Talk about yer close calls. Or near misses. What is up with DOCTORS, of all people, who don’t want to do their job??

It reminds me of Elaine Stritch’s experience in discovering she was diabetic, related in her show which I saw at the Public on Thanksgiving Eve 2001.

(I always remember the date because afterward it was the night of my one experience having a deer cross my path on the interstate on our way home. The deer met its maker upon impact which is a good thing, we were shaken but fine, and the car was repaired. End of digression.)

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2022, 06:19:08 AM »

The Lelouch film sounds good, potentially, but I’m sorry to hear BK’s report on the failings of the location shooting. That's always a disappointment, even when the location is a place I don’t know.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2022, 06:40:28 AM »

Kitty cleanup and breakfast are over. I used up the last four eggs in the apartment, so tomorrow and Tuesday I will have an apple dumpling for breakfast. Wednesday, thank God, my puny pension payment will land in my account. And, perhaps by then, the effing property situation will be settled.

KevinH

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2022, 06:41:37 AM »

Good morning!

KevinH

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2022, 06:41:50 AM »

Wordle:  5/6

ChasSmith

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2022, 06:44:45 AM »

I loved the Appalachian pictures. They speak to me because of my mother's West Virginia roots, and my enchantment on our occasional visits to my great grandmother's house in Morgantown in the late 1950s. The topography there is fascinating to me to this day, and hers was one of those houses I'd give anything to enter and walk through again. (It's still there, I think it's just been enlarged a bit.) I still marvel at how those two family territories of ours then -- central Ohio and northern West Virginia -- can still be seen by me as adjoining worlds that were so distinct from each other.

I didn't experience the lack of electricity or modern plumbing, but relatives who are still with us indeed did, and their collections of family photos are evoked by DR Elmore's. I grew to appreciate this family history all the more as the years have passed, and it was a part of my instant liking for Moonshine & Mistletoe.

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2022, 06:51:58 AM »

Happy Sunday to one and all!  There's a new Broadway Radio Show up for your listening pleasure.  This time it's Putting It Together: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes as we listen to the score of this classic Broadway musical put together using 5 different cast recordings.  ENJOY!!!

http://www.haineshisway.com/the-broadway-radio-show-2/

DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2022, 08:15:35 AM »

DR George, if it was a going-away party last night, where;s the actor going away to?

He's moving to L.A.  He's an actor/singer/music producer/etc., and wants to be where he can have more opportunities.  He's originally from Olympia and had lived in NYC for about 13 years.  He just came back to the area late last year (his family is still here), but he's going to be leaving soon (I don't know when, though).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2022, 08:24:51 AM »

The show last night went quite well!  My sister and her boyfriend were there and they really enjoyed it, along with everyone else there last night.  After the show, we all went to our respective homes (well, that's what I did...we all didn't go out to eat as a group).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2022, 08:34:28 AM »

Today, my mom and three of her friends are going to see the show.  They know I'm not performing on stage, but they wanted to come anyway.  And we added an extra performance tonight!  Everyone said that they could do it, so we're adding an evening show. :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2022, 08:37:34 AM »

Closing vibes for DR GEORGE & Co.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2022, 08:38:36 AM »

I loved your pictures DR ELMORE.....I have lots of pictures of my father's family standing, sitting, and being otherwise occupied in tobacco fields.

They are from Casey Co. Kentucky - in the western part of the state.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up