Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THICK OF SUMMER  (Read 20376 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE THICK OF SUMMER
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2005, 08:45:28 PM »

Back to HAIRSPRAY a minute. I was quite surprised that it was not a sellout. True, it has been playing here two weeks, but there were plenty of seats to be had. I'll be interested to read how much it grossed during its two week stay.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2005, 08:46:21 PM »

The all-time low is 122 posts, so I'm doing my best to get us past that figure. Then, I'll leave it up to the West Coasters to carry on.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2005, 08:47:36 PM »

I will watch SUSPICION at some point during the next couple of days and then start tackling some of the films and shows that are sitting on the DVR hard drive ready for viewing.

There just aren't enough hours in the day.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2005, 08:48:02 PM »

And with this post, we get past our all-time low, so I'm headed for bed.

Good night, all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2005, 09:00:56 PM »

Was anyone interesting in the cast?

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2005, 09:16:22 PM »

Re: Harvey in HAIRSPRAY.  He permeated the production so thoroughly (and so memorably), that you left the show doing  two things:  the damn finale (which you can't forget for weeks), and thinking about how marvelous he was, and how you forgot he was a man.  No mean feat.

Also, no mean feet.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2005, 09:45:27 PM »

And speaking of Hairspray, I have a question.  My ex-boyfriend (with whom I am still friends ;D) is from Pakistan (he's lived in the States since 1986) understands that the part of Edna in the movie was originally played by Divine (Harris Glen Milstead).  However, when the musical came out (no pun intended ;))...opened on Broadway, he couldn't understand at all why they would cast a man as the mother.  I told him that that was how the movie was done and that (probably) Harvey Fierstein was such a dynamic actor that they decided to continue the conceit of having a man play the woman's role.  First of all, does that make sense?  Secondly, he still didn't get it.  Every once in a while when we get together (we're still very good friends), I'll make some reference to the show and he'll ask (yet again) why did they cast a man in the woman's role.  Can anyone give me an answer that I can tell my ex?  Something that will be a little more convincing than just "because they can"??
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 09:54:10 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2005, 10:40:55 PM »

In two hours two posts.  Perhaps it's time to close down the jernt for the evening, as I'm rather nauseated by the WUSSBURGERING going on around here.  I'll give it another half-hour and we'll see what happens, although, since I'm a majority of one at the moment, I don't think much will be happening.

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2005, 11:20:50 PM »

I have just returned home - with a flying elephant and some dinosaurs. Disney is so tempting and DVDs were not on my shopping list at all.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2005, 11:23:32 PM »

Maybe George has some posting to do. How many hainsies does it take to change a light fitting. Whatever the answer, it would be more it were to be a heavy fitting.

I know the reason why I live 50 minutes drive away from my sister! I went through too many years of "being on hand".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2005, 11:25:04 PM »

I was also tempted to buy Disney's "Robin Hood". Not however by the special set of Pocahontas - a movie which went know where much at all - but had a couple of lovely songs.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2005, 11:28:48 PM »

Not that there is anyone to answer the question or comment, but we thinking about using Amtrak next year in the USA. Maybe a pass so that we can travel from LA  to SF and eventually to Seatle. From Seattle to Vancouver and across to Toronto to New York. We figure we can make good use of the 30 day pass available to non North American residents.
any comment and thoughts on the proposal would be appreciated - particularly the stopping off points.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2005, 11:30:29 PM »

DR JMK has already been helpful. Partner Colin and I used Amtrack from NYC to Niagra and also from NYC to Montreal some years ago. We also went by train from Montreal to Quebec.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2005, 11:31:11 PM »

George has been frighten off it seems. Perhaps he's gone to rake down the light fitting.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2005, 11:32:39 PM »

Back to TOTD. I've always been fond of "Billy Liar" as a film too. I am a fan of the musical as well.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2005, 11:32:50 PM »

George is a WUSSBURGER!

And now - Dino at the piano.

I can't even remember the word of the day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2005, 11:33:26 PM »

FRUCTOSE, baby, FRUCTOSE.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2005, 11:33:42 PM »

I think I shall take a nice long shower right about now.

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2005, 11:34:26 PM »

I've been joined by BK who does not have to change a light fitting.

I wonder how the weather is in Florida. We've had no updates during the day on our news broadcasts.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2005, 11:35:36 PM »

And for another post - just for the halibut. What is it fish?
The radio is playing Miss Toni Fisher singing "West Of The Wall" - a favourite of Salem resident Mr Barnum.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2005, 11:37:34 PM »

I shall return for the new notes.
But first a request - does any DR (who catches up with these notes) have a copy of Bob Lind's greatest hits. The Cd is out of print and as elusive as a butterfly. I may try Japan.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2005, 11:38:18 PM »

I shall now eat a banana for my daily fructose input.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2005, 11:38:33 PM »

I am NOT a Wussburger...well, I have had Wussburger tendencies, but right now, I'm watching "Ebert and Roeper."  They're going to review "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" later in the show.  They didn't like "The Fantastic Four."  No surprise there. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2005, 11:40:53 PM »

They just reviewed an Australian (I think) movie called "Undead" (about killing zombies) and gave it Two Thumbs Down®.  They said it wasn't scary enough to be a thriller and not funny enough to be a comedy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2005, 11:44:12 PM »

Well the movie has not even had a review here Geroge - let alone a release! (or if it did it came and went in the blink of a Zombie's eye).
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2005, 11:44:48 PM »

And MBarnum will be pleased to know I do have a favourite Zombie Movie - "Scared Stiff"
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2005, 11:55:27 PM »

I assume that it's nothing like the musical (recorded by our very own BK) called Lucky Stiff! ;)

Ebert and Roeper gave "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" Two Thumbs Up® but neither really liked Johnny Depp.  Roger said that Johnny was like a cross between Michael Jackson and Carol Burnett!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2005, 11:58:41 PM »

New notes in a mo, or maybe a larry or shemp.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up