Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHIPPING DEPARTMENT  (Read 18412 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SHIPPING DEPARTMENT
« on: July 16, 2005, 12:02:43 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've gotten a headache reading the trivia question, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently waiting for their address labels.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 12:06:21 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE SHIPPING DEPARTMENT
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 12:04:28 AM »

And the word of the day is: SPATULA!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 12:07:05 AM »

I always liked that Cliff Richard song "Spatula Boy". I think it was from "The Young Ones" or maybe "Summer Holiday".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 12:09:08 AM »

I should've known Treat Williams would not be the right actor.

And that Trivia Contest -- when did the "Trivia" get displaced and "Thesis for a doctorate" become the norm?

I have some ideas about some of it, but I honestly don't know if I want to spend any of my Saturday -- minus the reference books that spurned the questions -- creating my own headache.

Time will tel...

Oh, yes!  Time Will Tell.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 12:16:57 AM »

I'm only familiar with the recordings but "New Faces Of 1956" and Ben Bagley's "The Littlest Revue" have long been favourites.  Given the people associated with each and adding "The Shoestring Reviews" I may be tempted to delve further into trivia - but I have a busy few days ahead.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 12:28:58 AM »

I am spurred on to new heights of ephemera, trivia-wise, by the way too smart types who easily answer the questions every week.  My job is to stump, and by heavens I will stump.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 12:39:47 AM »

SPATULA, baby, SPATULA!

They dropped like flies.  WUSSBURGERS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 12:44:21 AM »

Wonderful orchestrator Michael Gibson has passed away.  He was terrific, and a really nice guy.  I worked with him on A Grand Night for Singing (which he co-orchestrated with Jonathan Tunick), and we spoke quite a few times about working together on something.  Sadly, we didn't.  I came close, when I was going to record Doug Cohen's The Gig, which Michael orchestrated.  One of his finest jobs was on Kiss of the Spider Woman.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 01:00:56 AM »

So, I was awakened from a sound sleep at 11:30 p.m. by a certain Dear Reader who wished to be at  the bookstore at midnight to buy a certain book.

I hope said Dear Reader remembers this when it's time to choose my Home.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 01:34:24 AM »

Here is a funny story, and I'm sure Michael Shayne will be interested.  Some weeks ago I was watching a movie (can't remember which, but may Hustle or something like it), and in the movie was an actor I used to think was very good, James Sutorius.  There was something about seeing him that kept nagging at the back of my brain.  That same thing happened when I read that Todd Sussman had taken over in Hairspray as Wilbur.  I knew I'd met him, but something else was nagging at the back of the brain.  Well, the things you find out on the Internet.  When Shayne was first putting together his ME website, he asked me to list all the TV shows I'd been in.  I tried to remember all of them, and though it took a really long time (things kept coming back to me), but I thought we finally had them all.  Well, not.  What information did I find this very evening?  Apparently, I once guested on a TV program entitled The Bob Crane Show, which not only starred Mr. Crane (obviously) but also featured James Sutorius and Todd Sussman.  Isn't that funny?  And, as I sat there staring at the information, I could remember nothing about the show at all.  After about an hour, I began to think I remembered that Jim Burrows was the director.  I played someone called "Herbie", but beyond Burrows, I can't remember anything about the show.  But, at least it tells me why I had the deja vu feeling about Sutorius and Sussman.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 01:35:01 AM »

Here is a funny story, and I'm sure Michael Shayne will be interested.  Some weeks ago I was watching a movie (can't remember which, but may Hustle or something like it), and in the movie was an actor I used to think was very good, James Sutorius.  There was something about seeing him that kept nagging at the back of my brain.  That same thing happened when I read that Todd Sussman had taken over in Hairspray as Wilbur.  I knew I'd met him, but something else was nagging at the back of the brain.  Well, the things you find out on the Internet.  When Shayne was first putting together his ME website, he asked me to list all the TV shows I'd been in.  I tried to remember all of them, and though it took a really long time (things kept coming back to me), but I thought we finally had them all.  Well, not.  What information did I find this very evening?  Apparently, I once guested on a TV program entitled The Bob Crane Show, which not only starred Mr. Crane (obviously) but also featured James Sutorius and Todd Sussman.  Isn't that funny?  And, as I sat there staring at the information, I could remember nothing about the show at all.  After about an hour, I began to think I remembered that Jim Burrows was the director.  I played someone called "Herbie", but beyond Burrows, I can't remember anything about the show.  But, at least it tells me why I had the deja vu feeling about Sutorius and Sussman.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 01:35:53 AM »

Apparently that story was so funny I posted it twice.  Ladies and gentlemen: AOL.

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2005, 01:40:07 AM »

I've just read post #10 and had a sense of Deja Vu.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 03:08:17 AM »

No trivia stumpee, I!  I have submitted my answer... and there's even a small chance it could possibly be correct. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2005, 04:03:27 AM »

Good morning, all!  Well, I hope my copy of HARRY POTTER is sitting on a shelf at Barnes & Noble waiting for me today or tomorrow.  When a news report yesterday mentioned a first printing of 10,000,000 copies, I was totally astounded.  I won't get near the book before September, but I'm looking forward to it.  Meanwhile, SEX WITH KINGS keeps me laughing on the subways and buses; the author's admiration of several of her subjects, especially Gabrielle d'Estrees and Madame Pompadour, has given me an interest in reading more about them.

Off the bat, I know the answer to one of the trivia questions, but I cannot pursue it, and by the time I have the time, someone will have already won the contest.

TOD:  
  Revues:    NEW FACES OF 1952
                THE LITTLEST REVUE
                THE BANDWAGON
                FLYING COLORS
                THE ZIEGFELD FOLLIES OF 1936  

Songs       Dancing in the Dark
                Something to Remember You By
                Louisiana Hayride
                High and Low
                I Can't Get Started
                The Ballad of the Shape of Things
                Summer is a-coming in
                Lizzie Borden
                The Boston Beguine
                Love is a Simple Thing
                Heat Wave
                Supper Time
                Easter Parade
                Das Chicago Song          
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2005, 04:10:41 AM »

We keep on meeting like this DR Elmore.
Good night/Good morning..
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2005, 04:41:10 AM »

We keep on meeting like this DR Elmore.
Good night/Good morning..

DRTomovoz, two ships . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2005, 04:58:52 AM »

Congratulations on getting the third actor, Mr. Kevin Chamberlin,  for the reading of your new play, dear BK.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2005, 07:08:47 AM »

I have been busy doing many of the things I had to put off taking care of when sick pet where my priority.  I have been running errands, shopping, working around here and even having a social life again.

Hisaka thank you for writing.  I’m going to try and find the prunes, or dried plums as they are now called in the States.  The Oregon products I’m familiar with are wines and berries, such as cranberry, blueberry, tayberry and marionberry.

I’m off to meet friends and drive up to Mt Ashland to hike and enjoy the wildflowers.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2005, 07:12:15 AM »

So, I was awakened from a sound sleep at 11:30 p.m. by a certain Dear Reader who wished to be at  the bookstore at midnight to buy a certain book.

I hope said Dear Reader remembers this when it's time to choose my Home.

LOL.  My niece just sent me some links to read which should jog my memory of the previous books and the important facts in them.  By the time I get hold of the latest book I will need to browse the links.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2005, 07:26:14 AM »

Excuse me while I set up a flow-chart to attempt to answer the trivia question!!!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2005, 07:48:26 AM »

I believe I wil be quite E&T today as I have 2 weddings and a funeral (almost a movie) to do, plus Sat eve Mass and a performance of everyone's favorite show - Joseph and the Amazing blah blah blah.  I'm hoping to check in before the cows come home.  
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 07:49:10 AM by Matthew »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2005, 08:07:37 AM »

Absolutely LOVE Kevin Chamberlin. I think he has the MOST expressive face. I watch a good bit of TV, but he's not a regular on any of the shows I watch. However, there is plenty out there that I dont see, and he is perhaps on one of those shows. He certainly has guested fairly frequently on the LAW & ORDER shows which I do watch.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2005, 08:09:37 AM »

I had made up my mind after last weekend's brain-twister that I wasn't going to participate in any more trivia contests. And then bk turns around and does one that deals with musicals rather than plays, so I guess I'll get out the books and try. Copied the question to the ROM drive without reading it fully because it was very long and too detailed to deal with at the moment. I'll try tackling it later today. Luckily, there is nothing on TV tonight to distract me from at least doing some research.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2005, 08:12:36 AM »

Favorite revues certainly include AS THOUSANDS CHEER and NEW FACES OF 1952.

CALL ME MISTER also seems like a lot of fun, and I like TWO'S COMPANY even with Bette Davis' less than soothing singing voice. I think the overture to TWO'S COMPANY is wonderful.

Listening to (non-revue) HAZEL FLAGG's overture this morning in the car as I zoomed around town on some errands reminded me how tepid it was (I do like several of the songs in the show, but that overture is just plain forgettable).

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2005, 08:18:56 AM »

Elmore's mentioning getting around to the new HARRY POTTER by September reminded me that if bk is stuck for a topic of the day any time soon, he might ask once again what we're all reading at the moment or what we have upcoming if we're near the end of something.

Just a thought.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2005, 08:59:50 AM »

I believe that Kevin Chamberlain has a recurring role on JAKE IN PROGRESS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2005, 09:07:24 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  She of the Evil Eye came a little earlier than usual, so I was still asleep, but now I am up and wondering where in tarnation IS everyone?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2005, 09:08:03 AM »

After all, we only need approximately six hundred more posts to achieve our new and exciting plateau.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2005, 09:31:25 AM »

Oh, brother, it's going to be one of THOSE days here at haineshisway.com, is it?

I must now be on my way before she of the Evil Eye casts her glance in my direction.  

So far, only one submission to the trivia question, and it was ALMOST correct.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up