Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T MOCK ME  (Read 16724 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:DON'T MOCK ME
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2005, 11:31:14 AM »

Hi Charles.  Friday night we spent a wonderful evening at Janet's current home.  We are very excited the work has begun on her new home and soon we will see her more often. Watching the progress is fun.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2005, 11:33:51 AM »

DR Pogue, I'm sure you spent most of your Beau Geste day discussing how Frances Farmer was supposed to play the Susan Hayward role.  ;)

I think we should combine several recent threads and have cast iron skillet duels between selected members of HHW.  The rest of us can critique their techniques and each others' critiques.   :P
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2005, 11:34:58 AM »

As long as we're dissing discussing remakes, why oh why is Peter Jackson remaking King Kong?  Wasn't the original, with Jessica Lange, already perfect?

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2005, 11:37:45 AM »

Don't ask me why cast iron skillet duels reminded me of this, but anyhoo:  one of the many items of WWII booty my dad brought back was this really elegant (and extremely heavy) sword from Morocco which my sister assumed control of before I was even born.  She named it Excalibur.  Anyway, one night (like in the middle of the night), our doorbell malfunctioned and started buzzing non-stop and my sister, thinking there was a burglar, got up and dragged Excalibur out to the front door to see what was going on.  The punchline was, the damned thing was so heavy that by the time she got to the front door, she was completely winded and unable to do anything but stand there gasping for breath.  Luckily there was no burglar; had there been, he could have knocked her over with a feather.   ;D

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2005, 11:39:06 AM »

And why she thought a burglar would be leaning on the doorbell is a question best left to the ages.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2005, 11:52:58 AM »

Yesterday, I left home at 7am, drove 2 hours to Columbus, sat through a 6 hour meeting, and drove 2 hours home (in terrible thunderstorms).  I was totally wiped out and just now finished reading yesterday's and today's posts.

DR TCB - I'm so glad the package got to you safely, but I'm so sorry to hear about your hip problems.

I have read none of the Harry Potter books with my eyes, but have read all of them with my ears.  Jim Dale does a wonderful job on the audio books.  For the 12 CD copies of the latest on order for my library, there are 103 reserves and I'm number 50.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 11:53:37 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2005, 11:55:17 AM »

Today's TOD - Independence Day

Yesterday's TOD - DR Elmore's Rodgers and Hart revue, for which I was his director's assistant.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2005, 11:58:16 AM »

As long as we're dissing discussing remakes, why oh why is Peter Jackson remaking King Kong?  Wasn't the original, with Jessica Lange, already perfect?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Too true!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2005, 11:59:15 AM »

Jose, LOL, never have the sounds of any city LULLED me to sleep.  They have unfortunately kept us awake all night.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2005, 12:01:40 PM »

JMK-funny sister story.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2005, 12:02:10 PM »

DR Pogue, I'm sure you spent most of your Beau Geste day discussing how Frances Farmer was supposed to play the Susan Hayward role.  ;)

I think we should combine several recent threads and have cast iron skillet duels between selected members of HHW.  The rest of us can critique their techniques and each others' critiques.   :P

Hey, if I'm going to be critiqued, I want it from someone I either respect or think is smarter than I.  I've gotten too many half-assed reviews in my life.  Several are on amazon.com, in fact.  And once in SHOW MUSIC.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2005, 12:03:19 PM »

;D  IMHO the preview for the new movie looks very good.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2005, 12:13:33 PM »

;D  IMHO the preview for the new movie looks very good.  

I agree!  Any word on when the original is coming out on DVD?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »

The original Kong will be on DVD later this year.

Pogue, you'll be thrilled to know there's a huge special edition of Titanic on its way.

JMK

« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2005, 12:26:47 PM »

Hey, if I'm going to be critiqued, I want it from someone I either respect or think is smarter than I.  

So, reading between the lines, I assume you mean I should be critiquing your cast iron skillet duel.   ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2005, 12:39:10 PM »

So, reading between the lines, I assume you mean I should be critiquing your cast iron skillet duel.   ;D

I doubt there's anyone better qualified! ;D

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2005, 01:02:37 PM »

JMK, didn't know that about Frances and Beau Geste. Of course, not sure why she would have wanted the role.  A rather thankless part, all told.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2005, 01:23:33 PM »

Wouldn't Francis as Beau Geste been a little, well, odd?  I suppose they could have rewritten it as Belle Geste, but it wouldn't have the same je ne sais quoi, would it?

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2005, 01:24:06 PM »

I agree!  Any word on when the original is coming out on DVD?

The new movie will be out Dec. 14th.  You may not care but it is what I originally thought you asked and looked it up, so I'm now sharing, interested or not.  Obviously I didn't finish reading your question. ;D

Jane

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2005, 01:25:01 PM »

Sandra are you enjoying your book?  Hmm, if you have returned I should ask if you enjoyed the book.  I suspect like TPunk you have finished reading it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 01:26:03 PM by Jane »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2005, 01:31:46 PM »

Yes, I enjoyed it very much so. I finished it last night. I didn't want to say anything about it in case somebody felt like arguing with me.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2005, 01:33:14 PM »

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2005, 01:53:44 PM »

Don't mock me.

My pal Brad Bennett just stopped by to pick up his order for Aron's Records.  I don't know if they shorted my order, but it sure seems like I'm almost out of After the Ball CDs - I'm down to a little under 150 copies.  I'd initially upped the order, so I'm not sure why that should be.  I'll have to check tomorrow.  I know we've shipped at least four hundred, maybe a bit more, so that should leave at least three hundred discs.  Hmmm.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2005, 01:57:30 PM »

Did you count the order when it arrived?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2005, 02:12:26 PM »

It's been a hellish hot day here, and, of course, my friend Jeff wanted to do some more moving. During his move back to town, I gave my living room over to him as a storage facility because he simply couldn't afford to rent another storage facility since he'd been paying rental for that pod since last fall.

Since we (and another friend on another day) had cleaned out the pod last week, the time came today to start loading up some of the stuff he had stored here. We loaded his car and mine, stopped off at a Chinese buffet for lunch (more about that later), and then got the things unloaded and into his new place.

Then, I hooked up his TV to his VCR and DVD player since he had forgotten which cables went where. He had tried to do it, and got no picture at all since he had video cables going into audio jacks, etc. Funny, but now all is working properly.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2005, 02:18:21 PM »

Since my favorite Chinese buffet closed several months ago, I have only had Chinese food once, and I have missed it. (There just aren't any good places near my home any more).

Today, Jeff and I returned to a buffet we used to go to every Sunday. It's closer to where he's living now, so it was on the way back to his house.

Anyway, the food was delicious. They had some kind of (lightly) spicy grilled chicken dish that was about the best thing I've had in a long, long time, and I'm afraid I greatly overate. Since this place is so near to Jeff now, I can see we'll be having some Sunday lunches there for the foreseeable future.

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2005, 02:23:31 PM »

When I got home from lunch and unloading things at Jeff's, I watched the 1955 KISMET which I DVRed this morning. I needed no more than two or three minutes to see that the picture was sharper than the laserdisc (if a bit darker with somewhat drab Eastmancolor), so I put in a DVD-R and burned myself a copy.

The sound design was the same as the laserdisc's: the stereo had been repurposed into a lush Dolby Surround track, and it sounded marvelous.

Too bad Vincente Minnelli lost interest in the project shortly after starting it (prepping for LUST FOR LIFE), because the pace is pretty laggard and the shooting of the numbers seems decidedly by the book.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2005, 02:27:30 PM »

DR TPunk, you can start talking about the new HARRY POTTER now if you'd like if you just be sure to post "spoiler warnings" before you start talking about it. Then, those of us who haven't read it yet but plan to eventually won't have any secrets ruined.

Just speaking from past experience. I've blabbed before about things without posting spoiler warnings and felt terrible guilt afterwards.

Tomovoz

« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2005, 02:43:11 PM »

I had forgotten about "Ishtar". (Which was worth forgetting).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2005, 02:44:35 PM »

No, I didn't pick the order up.  I'm sure we've been shorted.

I shall now be on my way to Kevin's dress rehearsal, after which, I shall return.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up