Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T MOCK ME  (Read 16912 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DON'T MOCK ME
« on: July 17, 2005, 12:05:54 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you haven't mocked either the notes or me, and now it is time for you to post until the mock cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 12:06:19 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:DON'T MOCK ME
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 12:09:18 AM »

And the word of the day is: BELLICOSE!

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 12:35:05 AM »

Wedding went well. Lots of time with family, and now to bed as I have to head back to Brown County at 6 am tomorrow.  :P
There is no music without silence, only noise...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 12:49:09 AM »

Such WUSSBURGERING on a Saturday night.  Saturday night's are supposed to be late nights, with merriment and mirth and laughter and legs and there is no one in the jernt because, apparently, everyone is OLD and a fuddy-duddy.

BELLICOSE, baby, BELLICOSE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 12:55:02 AM »

After much discussion and Internet searching, we're going to remove the question from the trivia contest regarding the cast member who married a legend.  When I did my initial checking the site I checked had a misspelling for the legend's spouse.  So, even though the cast member's name is close, it's not the correct person.  So, simply answer all the other questions and you, too, can win.  That is if you're not WUSSBURGERING.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 01:56:40 AM »

Favourite Disaster Film: "Poseidon Adventure".
From my point of view as a fan of most of the Mr Conway's novels., "The Prince Of Tides" was a disaster. I wonder what part Mr Conway had in his shared screenplay or was it really Ms Streisand doing the rewriting.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 05:08:28 AM »

Good morning, all!  I wish I'd been around to jump into the critical fray last night, but I thought DRSWW pretty much covered review questions I might have posed; I loved the film JAWS and was I glad that I'd read the potboiler novel first to appreciate the choices the filmmakers made in altering storylines and rethinking several of the characters.  In the case of THE FIRM, I read the novel after seeing the film and I kept thinking during the reading, was this in the film I saw?  I preferred the film's rewrite as well.   I loathe the Greer Garson film of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE primarily because it lacks, as does the musical FIRST IMPRESSIONS, the tone of Miss Austen's literary style, mistaking coyness for wit.

My goddaughter is the most rabid Harry Potter fan I know; she's reread all of the books each time a new film comes out, and she disliked the film of HARRY POTTER & THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN because she felt too much of the novel was omitted (she'll loathe the next and longer GOBLET OF FIRE!).  But, DRRonPulliam, what's this about no fantasy in school curriculum?  What are the ILIAD, ODYSSEY, Shakespeare's TEMPEST, MACBETH, and MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, the Lewis Carroll ALICE books, Washington Irving's RIP VAN WINKLE and SLEEPY HOLLOW, A CHRISTMAS CAROL, and a lot of classics I love but fantasies?    Has school curriculum changed so much in the past 50 years that I was a student?  I never was really in touch.  And I have a lot of adult friends reading  the Harry Potter books.  In London the books are printed with two different covers:  one for young readers and one for adults.

DRCillaliz, I'm embarassed I forgot TUSCALOOSA's CALLING ME . . .  I saw it around 1976, and it was a lot of fun; it has a couple of really wonderful New York songs.

Biggest disaster films:  A CHORUS LINE, YENTL

Favorite disaster films:  POSEIDON ADVENTURE (and any other Shelly Winters swimming film, but I can't think of any now), AIRPLANE
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 05:41:10 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 05:47:14 AM »

Good morning, thought I'd check in before I head off to the lake.  It's supposed to be in the upper 90s here again today, so it will be nice to be by the water for a day.

TOD - Favorite disaster films - I have to say I really liked the original Airport. Maybe in part because it was filmed in Minneapolis, the airport I used to fly out of the most.

Better get going. I'm thinking of fried chicken and the longer I sit here the longer I'll have to wait to get it!!!!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 05:48:15 AM »

Nice photo, DR CILLALIZ! It's a beautiful view.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 05:52:27 AM »

My favorite disaster films;

I, too, like Poseidon Adventure.
The Towering Inferno
Cassandra Crossing
Jaws
Airport
and
Airplane! ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 06:26:35 AM »

DR Elmore, here the Harry Potter books have 2 cover choices as well.  I thought the "kids" version was much nicer, so that was the one my sister bought.

Feel better DR TCB! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 07:01:57 AM »

I've always liked THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE. It seemed at the time handsomely produced, well acted, and suspenseful from the beginning of the problems to the end.

Poor Irwin Allen's last couple of disaster epics, however, were horrendous despite their all-star casts. THE SWARM was hilarious rather than terrifying and WHEN TIME RAN OUT made it seem like time would NEVER run out, so slow moving and dull were its story and pacing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 07:04:18 AM »

Good healing vibes to TCB!!!  

My Harry Potter book came on time yesterday.  Some special edition that I ordered a long time ago.  It's packaged beautifully.  It "lives" in a lovely cover thing - I don't know how to explain it - the actual picture of the cover is on this cover thing (which is like a hard shell thing) and then the book slides out of it and the actual cover of the book doesn't have a picture on it, just the textured green/blue dust jacket.  I'm sure I've totally confused all of you. It's the special edition from Amazon... check it out.

I don't know whether or not to start reading it as I sort of started The Davinci Code when I got back from Paris because of the "Louvre" tie-in.  If the DP starts reading his copy of HP, I may just read along with him so we can at least have something to talk about!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 07:04:42 AM »

The last of the AIRPORT movies, AIRPORT '79: THE CONCORDE, was desperately bad. Remember the moment when George Kennedy opens a window in the cockpit WHILE IN FLIGHT and sticks his hand out of it in order to fire a gun at an enemy? How embarrassing that anyone would write anything so absurd.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 07:06:45 AM »

I understand they're remaking THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE now. Other than the obvuious answer that they can, I really wonder why they thought we needed another version of it?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 07:14:42 AM »

I've been E, and I daresay I've been T, but now I am "B" for "back" and "CU" for "caught up."

Friday I celebrated a bit much with friends as tomorrow I'll be beginning the new gig. Yesterday, I went and met TPunk who was sunning herself in Central Park while reading her new H. Potter book. Then we met up with new New Yorker Jose and a fellow named Elmore. A frenzy of feasting and friendly faces.

Now I want Cillaliz's pan-friend chicken, and I will accept it via mail.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 07:24:08 AM »

Good Morning!

...Nothing like letting the various sounds of The City lull you to sleep.  -And I actually did sleep pretty well.  However, I'm hoping that Nick - the guy I'm subletting from - does end up bringing over his bed - his nicer bed - today or tomorrow.  The futon that was left in the room leaves a lot to be desired.

Oh.. and a fan...  There's an A/C window down here on "my" floor, but since we're all trying not to have outrageous bills from Con Edison...  We had it on last night, but turned it off before going to bed.   Of course, this morning, it's gray, muggy and sticky.  -But that's what New York City is supposed to be like in the summer.

My friend, Curt, may end up driving me up to NYC this Tuesday.  He just wants to come up to the City for the day.  So, if that does end up happening, I'll be able to bring up a couple more things than just my clothes (in my luggage).

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2005, 07:25:50 AM »

Now I want Cillaliz's pan-friend chicken, and I will accept it via mail.

Note to self:  Bring up cast iron pan.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2005, 07:28:06 AM »

...And there really is nothing like fried chicken, fried in a cast iron pan.  "Simple" fried chicken - just dusted with seasoned flour - maybe soaked in milk for a few - but no cornmeal, no crushed cornflakes, no potato chip crumbs.  Just basically good chicken with a simple crust/coating.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2005, 07:30:25 AM »

Well... I think I'm still heading out for brunch... or not.  I made a stop at Whole Foods last night to pick up some bottled water, juice and some "goodies" - and I may just have some of the "goodies" for my breakfast, and then just venture out on foot for a bit before heading back down to Fairfax around 5:00.

-Oh, and I think I shall be taking the GW Bridge for a change of pace.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2005, 07:51:22 AM »

Poor Irwin Allen's last couple of disaster epics, however, were horrendous despite their all-star casts. THE SWARM was hilarious rather than terrifying and WHEN TIME RAN OUT made it seem like time would NEVER run out, so slow moving and dull were its story and pacing.

I agree with you about these two films, but one must add BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE as well!

And don't forget about his epics for TV

Flood!
Fire!
Hanging by a Thread (all 190 minutes of it)
The Night the Bridge Fell Down (3 hours minus commercials and so bad it was on the shelf for 4 years

And don't forget that When Time Ran Out was so bad that they renamed it for TV as Earth's Final Fury and on home video as The Day The World Ended (Which I believe was supposed to be its original title.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 08:12:33 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2005, 07:54:44 AM »

As for disaster films...  Yes, "The Poseidon Adventure".

As for "disaster" films... "Ishtar".

;)

And as for the remake of "The Poseidon Adventure" - Well, I for one am looking forward to the hip-hop re-mix version of "There's Got To Be A Morning After".

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2005, 07:55:03 AM »

Classic LineFrom the Swarm:

Richard Widmark as General Slater: Huston burning! Will they blame me or the bees?

And the credit they were forced to put on by lobbyists:

The African killer bee should not be confused with the hard-working,
industrious American honey bee, which provides us with honey and pollinates
our flowers.

Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2005, 07:56:30 AM »

...And I'm outta here...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2005, 07:56:43 AM »

Classic Line from Airport 79: The Concorde

Isabelle: You pilots are such... men.
Capt. Joe Patroni: Well, they don't call it a "cockpit" for nothing.

At least in the "extended version" Charo's role has been edited out.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2005, 08:06:01 AM »

Airport
San Francisco
The Poseidon Adventure
The Submergance of Japan (before it became the Americanized Tidal Wave)
Earthquake
The Rains Came
The Hidenburg
Hurricane (1937 version)
Meteor
When Worlds Collide

The Cassandra Crossing was fun in a cheesy sort of way.

And I was an extra in the Montreal made all star American extravaganza City On Fire
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2005, 08:22:46 AM »

"Disaster Movies"

The Exorcist II: The Herretic will also be the 1st and the "best".

Heaven's Gate (What were they thinking!!! There was a good 90 Minute film in there instead of the 228 minute version I saw. They could have dropped the first hour (The Prologue) or so that took place Harvard.

It destroyed United Artist which was sold to MGM and its "director" didn't work for another 5 years and has never done a succesful since then.

BTW his original cut was 5 1/2 hours long!
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2005, 09:10:18 AM »

DR Elmore3003:  I do believe you know the difference between such fodder as the Harry Potter books and the true classics like "The Iliad."

If not, so be it.  ;)

In a thousand years, perhaps Harry Potter will have stood the test of time.

For now, gimme a break.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 09:22:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2005, 09:13:53 AM »

...And there really is nothing like fried chicken, fried in a cast iron pan.  "Simple" fried chicken - just dusted with seasoned flour - maybe soaked in milk for a few - but no cornmeal, no crushed cornflakes, no potato chip crumbs.  Just basically good chicken with a simple crust/coating.

Oh, DR JoseSPiano...down in my neck of the woods (South Carolina), we soak the chicken in buttermilk.  My mom uses Bisquick  rather than flour. (And we remove all the skin and fat from the chicken, too).

As a cousin once exclaimed to me, "Yo momma can FRY some chicken!"

It's mighty tasty.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2005, 09:20:20 AM »

I understand they're remaking THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE now. Other than the obvuious answer that they can, I really wonder why they thought we needed another version of it?

Because it made a ton of money back in 1972, and because Hollywood is bereft of originality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up