Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: VERY INFORMATIVE NOTES IN A LIMITED KIND OF WAY  (Read 36661 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re:VERY INFORMATIVE NOTES IN A LIMITED KIND OF WAY
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2003, 07:07:50 AM »

Thank you, DR for the opening night thoughts.  The show is fabulous and is sure to send the audience humming as they leave the theatre. (well, the church in this case)

CD Player near bed - Segur Rose
CD Player in car - nothing exciting
CD Player in living room  - Olivia Newton-John

Nothing in the video/DVD player.

Have a nice day!  (oh, a cut JH reference - cut from "La Cage" and also cut from our version of "Jerry's Girls") Tra-la  :)

Emily

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2003, 07:24:13 AM »

I just checked the weather report...

It is currently -5 degrees celcius (23 F) which isn't that cold.  But at the same time we have wind gusts up to 63 km an hour (39 miles/hr) which makes the wind chill a very very cold -23 degrees celcius (-7 F)!!!

No wonder I thought I was going to freeze before I made it into school this morning! :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 07:24:39 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2003, 07:25:12 AM »

all of you in California other warm places right now... Jennifer, Andrea and I are sending you waves of jealous hatred :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2003, 07:30:53 AM »

Andrea, et al. You can all flirt with me at will. As my father said, he is very liberal. So much so that whilst I was walking down the stairs (having just put on my tux for my senior prom) I overheard him flirting/joking with my date that if I didn't come down soon that he would take her to the prom.

Oh yes. Now you see where I get it from....

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2003, 07:58:57 AM »

Brrr. It's a nippy 60F outside on a clear sunny Arizona morning. I might even have to think about putting on a sweater if this cold weather continues.

In the car CD player: Brigadoon. Same one as last week. The rest are still packed.

In the house CD player: Music Man.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2003, 08:00:47 AM »

JRand53, I do so look forward to the Allison picture of the day, each day! And laughed out loud at your title for today's pic! LOL!

Emily, I can not imagine anyone booing you! You are one of the sweetest on the board!

DVD: A double feature of Italian Kommissar X action films from the 1960s starring Tony Kendall and Brad Harris...SO DARLING, SO DEADLY and DEATH TRIP. Also finished up the last of the YOU BET YOUR LIFE episodes.

VIDEO: Taped an episode of MAVERICK last night with guest star William Reynolds.

CD: THE BEST OF CHAIRMEN OF THE BOARD (a 1960s group) and a double cd of Lynn Anderson.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2003, 08:02:33 AM »

The bonus tracks on the Gypsy boot are the same, but with a couple of additions which are meaningless - the same take of Together with a bit of studio chatter before it, and something they call "Intermission" music which is just a different take of the Overture.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2003, 08:08:00 AM »

Good morning!

WOW!  What a huge number of posts last night...I just spent the last half hour catching up...I loved seeing all the pictures of DRs in various incarnations!

CD--Nine RCR, various showtunes dealing with break-ups...Miss Emily will be glad to know that I appreciate L5Y on such a higher level now, hehe!

Cassette--background tracks in preparation for my JMU audition next week

DVD--Whale Rider...after Macbeth last night, I spent the night at my friend's and we rented it.  Awesome movie...gorgeously shot too.  

Ben--thanks for asking about how Macbeth went!  Actually, it went VERY well!  Very few cues and lines were missed, although the assassins were a tad late coming on for my scene.  I ended up saying my last line twice as a result.  "Why then, alas, do I put up this womanly defense to say I have done no harm?  I HAVE DONE NO HARM!"  But the scene did go well, and the audience seemed to enjoy the play a great deal...hopefully we will be able to repeat the feat tonight.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE GOOD VIBES!!! They helped! Ah, the power of HHW.

Swishy--congrats on getting a 1200 SAT score!  That is not a bad score at all, especially if you're not that strong in math.  And if you do decide to take it again, I have full faith in you that you'll do even better!

TCB--Great pics from last night.  I have to say though...I was in the room backstage from which the actors enter the wings of the stage.  There's a computer back there, and when I read your comment about not cheering too much when Macbeth is beheaded, shortly before curtain, I laughed so hard that they made me turn off the computer!  ;D

Craig--*Flirting none too subtly*  ::) I enjoyed your Taboo review!  

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2003, 08:09:29 AM »

OH, and of course also on DVD today will be my weekly Bollywood movie. This week is SAWAN BHADON which is about some 1960s go-go dancers with big beehive hairdos and too much eye make-up. Some very fun songs and I am sure it will be 3 hours of pure joy for me!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2003, 08:09:49 AM »

In my CD Player-Soundtrack to DOWN WITH LOVE
In my DVD Player-LOONEY TUNES-THE GOLDEN COLLECTION...next FINDING NEMO

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2003, 08:10:37 AM »

I was awakened this morning at 5:30 a.m. by a VERY BAD CAT.   >:(    And now I'm feeling quite gumpy!

re: Getting booed, or as I like to think of it, DK'd (de-karmalized).  While I think it is always a good idea to believe that someone made a mistake and booed when they mean to applaud, the likelihood of someone being that careless, time and again, is rather odds-defeating.

No, I think we have to accept the idea that we are going to win some and we're going to lose some.  We cannot please everybody all the time.  We cannot please some bodies at any time.  But we can all try to get along, even if "booing" anonymously is the way we express our displeasure with someone we wish would go away/ take a long walk on a short pier/ amscray/ rest his or her fingers a few hours or days/etc.

Anonymity is a powerful tool no matter who uses it.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2003, 08:16:58 AM »

I Can't wait to get my DVD copy of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2003, 08:20:00 AM »

Ron...I don' t think anyone would deliberately boo you.  The applaud and boo buttons are so close together, as other DRs have pointed out.  

I karmalized you too recently to do so again, so I send an emisarry:

Couldn't find Karmy on Click-smilies.com.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2003, 08:24:14 AM »

So glad your show went well Mayayayayayayaya!  :D

And I am surprised that Shakespeare didn't write the speech that way....repetition drives the point home!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

There are some good vibes for DR Matt for his show tonight.  As my friend Bryan says:  Kisses on your opening!   :-X

Glad you liked my picture title MBarnum.  Hey!  I love my Bollywood - but I sure do hate it that the songs are NOT subtitled!  What is Ted Lyons singing with his Cubs in GUMNAAM?

What a lovely bunch of people here at HHW!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 08:25:23 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2003, 08:28:44 AM »

Thanks, Jrandrandrandrand!  You are quite lovely yourself!  ;D

Good vibes to Matt!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2003, 08:35:44 AM »

BK--I am here looking at my bootleg of Gypsy and am wondering what you meant about the inlay--my inlay is typo free.  Maybe he went back and fixed them.  Are you implying the bootlegger is who I think you're implying?  I guess from your review that I don't need to bother getting the official release.

In the DVD:  Singing Detective, the miniseries.
In the VCR:  last Wednesday's Law & Order, which we're half way through
On the phonograph:  a great 1969 promo disc from Ford, featuring the smash (their words) vocal group The Going Thing, featuring Janis Hansen who had just "left" Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66.  Side 2 has a top secret private message to dealers from Ford's Chairman (haven't listened to it yet, but assume he disputes what Ford stands for).
In the CD player:  Nik Kershaw--am currently doing choral arrangements of two of his quirky little pop masterpieces from the 80s--does anyone remember the 80s?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 08:36:53 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2003, 08:38:54 AM »

Maya-

So happy that MACBETH went so well.It is Shakespeare's most difficult. I believe it was Orson Welles who called MACBETH.."That Scottish Play"Maybe I missed it but what role did you play?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 08:41:16 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2003, 08:39:19 AM »

LOL Maya....  BLUSH

DR in Los Angeles - is this still an active exchange?  I assume the number would be 465-8011
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 08:44:29 AM by JRand53 »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2003, 08:46:36 AM »

Have to say when I went to bed last night, we were trying to get to 400 posts, and when I logged on this morning, it had exceeeded 500! Wow!

Not only that but there were 45 posts already on today's forum! There is something in the air, and it's been great fun whatever it is. So glad to be here.

Media alert:

CD - Hoping GYPSY comes today, but SATINS AND SPURS is still there from last week. Can't seem to get past cut 5.

VHS - last night's WILL & GRACE and SCRUBS

DVD - THE HARVEY GIRLS to be followed by THE SOLID GOLD CADILLAC. And probably others since there is NOTHING whatsoever of interest on TV tonight.

I finished COLORED LIGHTS last night and will be continuing THE SECRET LIFE OF HUMPHREY BOGART now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2003, 08:53:47 AM »

Nothing of interest on TV tonight?

GASP!

"Miss Match"...

...and Katie Couric's special in-depth interview with Tom Cruise (with Katie asking ALL the questions everyone has been asking about him)...

...are on tonight!

Hmmm.

Wonder what I can watch tonight on DVD????

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2003, 08:56:56 AM »

JMK, I remember the 80s all too well...and I even have a record album of Nik Kershaw!!!

JRand53, I have also wondered why the vintage Bollywood movies never seem to have the songs subtitled, but the newer ones do.  The "picturizations" are such an integral part of those movies. By the way, I bought a few (ok several) Bollywood song DVDs and there were two from PAKEEZAH. What a beautiful looking film. I can't wait to see it!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2003, 08:57:06 AM »

So DR MATT, what is the secret life of Humphrey Bogart?  And DR Ron, hopefully there will be something in your mailbox you can watch tonight - if the USPS is doing the job I paid it to do!

Tom Cruise in a Samarai movie....as Shirley Temple as Heidi once said:  "That is the height of punctuality!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2003, 09:00:47 AM »

Well DR MBarnum -your birthday is coming up and you already know what 1/2 of your present will be!

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2003, 09:02:44 AM »

Well DR MBarnum -your birthday is coming up and you already know what 1/2 of your present will be!

;D

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2003, 09:16:50 AM »

Just read the VARIETY review of TABOO. It wasn't an out-and-out pan, but it was decidedly negative.

DR Ron, I have to be honest; I haven't given MISS MATCH even a slight look-see. Just didn't seem like my kind of show from the pre-season descriptions of it. Yet, most critics have found it charming, and I noticed that she helps to match up a lesbian with a partner in next week's episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2003, 09:19:36 AM »

THE SECRET LIFE OF HUMPHREY BOGART details his early life up to 1931 acting in plays in NYC, the people (gay and straight) he came into contact with, and the contacts he made that gave him a chance to come to Hollywood. Not exceptionally well written, but interesting nevertheless.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2003, 09:22:09 AM »

Was it you, DR Ben, who was making the turtle cheesecake last night. Reading those descriptions written last night this morning before I had anything to eat just made my stomach feel like a bottomless pit. I'm sure they are a LOT of trouble to make, but you don't care once it's done because it's sheer ecstacy in the eating. Please let us know how it turned out.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2003, 09:25:37 AM »

I don't understand what the problem was with the vanilla extract.  If you find you're out, just run downstairs and get some more.

So windy last night!  If the wind were a car (heaven forbid!), it could be arrested for speeding.

The only CD in the changer is one I'm quite enjoying, a demo for a new musical called The Vaudevillian; the music's completely in period.

Around my house, we abbreviate Taboo by omitting the first vowel.  As in, "If you come to Broadway t' boo, see T'boo."

In the VCR is The West Wing, which I watch more often than regular news.  Which is why I've trouble separating fiction from reality.  I know a senator switched parties, but is the Chief Justice ailing?  And would the president call him "Chief"?

I hate to sound a note of discord (G#), but, for me, what matters is the quality of the posts, not the quantity.  I found the recent push to set individual and group records less-than-the-best thing I could read on the internet.  But there are still nuggets of gold to be found amidst all the posts-for-the-sake-of-posting and I read them all.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2003, 09:28:03 AM »

Where is DR Joy?

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2003, 09:34:32 AM »

It was DR George that was making the Cheescake
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up