Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: VERY INFORMATIVE NOTES IN A LIMITED KIND OF WAY  (Read 36847 times)

Laura II

Re:VERY INFORMATIVE NOTES IN A LIMITED KIND OF WAY
« Reply #330 on: November 14, 2003, 09:10:12 PM »

Well, DR Sarah, my day was wonderful. Thanks for asking! You see, as Sarah mentioned, I was able to visit her at work today. I have missed her so! I might be making a weekly visit now! Sarah is a wonderful waitress, and the food is quite tasty. The chef is too! I always enjoy some nice eye candy. ;)

DR TCB, you crack me up! Thanks for making me smile!

Oh, re: Sarah's brother and his girlfriend's potential breakup:
As I told Sarah, as soon as I hear that the relationship is kaput, I will break out in a rousing rendition of "wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles!"
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Michael

« Reply #331 on: November 14, 2003, 09:15:14 PM »

GREAT NEWS!!

The Off-Broadway revue Listen to My Heart: The Songs of David Friedman has rescinded the closing notice that was posted earlier this week.
According to producer Victoria Lang, the show -- which opened on Wednesday, October 23 -- needed to sell 600 tickets to stay open past this Sunday, and that figure was reached in one day. Lang told TheaterMania.com that the show will now employ new marketing and audience development teams, that it will rely less heavily on traditional advertising and focus more on grass-roots efforts to build an audience. Listen to My Heart's celebrity supporters include Kathie Lee Gifford (who wrote the lyrics to one of the songs in the show, "Only My Pillow Knows") and psychic John Edward. Lang says that Edward, who felt his mother speaking to him through one of Friedman's songs, will devote two upcoming episodes of his popular television show Crossing Over to the show, its cast, and its performing space.

added by me:  The John Edwards thing is a bit much
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 09:16:08 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #332 on: November 14, 2003, 09:25:21 PM »

Is it true that Urinetown wants to move to the Music Box Theater, but the Irving Berlin estate who owns the theater ask production team to change the name of the show if it was to play there? The writers and the producers suggest The Whiz.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 09:26:30 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #333 on: November 14, 2003, 09:25:42 PM »

Well, good news for David Friedman and his cast.  A "Lost In Boston" that didn't quite make it into Listen To My Heart was posted here just the other day.

:-)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #334 on: November 14, 2003, 09:43:41 PM »

Hey everyone!

The second Macbeth performance went very well...afterwards, I realized that some friends from out of town had come to see the play and pay me a surprise visit, so we ended up going out to Taco Bell (or Taco Hell as my friend likes to call it) and being our usual dorky goofy selves.

LC--I would pay to see you squeak like Cousin It, lol!

Swishy--I'm not one to cheer break-ups right now, though I will say I'm glad that your brother may be splitting with the girlfriend-in-law-from-Hell.  

What is the name of the restaurant you work at, btw?  Since we don't live too far apart really, maybe one day I could arrange to pay a surprise visit (and to Laura also)!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 09:44:05 PM by Maya »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #335 on: November 14, 2003, 09:44:29 PM »

http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=6052

MY FAIR LADY, GOODBYE MR. CHIPS, GASLIGHT, MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, THE GREAT ZIEGFELD are all coming as divine dvds in the year 2004!  Great cover art, too.  But, where is a remastered GIGI? ? ?

How nice.  Sadly, though, it's the wrong version of "Bounty" and the wrong version of "Mr. Chips"!

Tomovoz

« Reply #336 on: November 14, 2003, 09:53:31 PM »

DR Maya: Need not to know trivia. When the Taco Bell franchise arrived here in OZ it was rechristened Taco Bill. I have no idea why. I think your "Burger King" is franchised here as "Hungry Jacks". KFC & MCD were left alone. I think that is all Ron's subliminal work. When I was much much younger , one of our local fast food outlets was "Mr Chips".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #337 on: November 14, 2003, 10:26:54 PM »

Well, tonight I have watched Hal March and the "$64,000 Question" sponsored by Revlon and its new, divine color "Snow Peach"!!!

And then, it was "My Little Margie" and that theme song that suddenly struck a chord and I remember it vividly as something I used to hum to myself as a child.  I had totally forgotten that Hillary Brooke co-starred as her father's "gal pal" Roberta!  And Willie Best as Charles!!

And then, there was "The Gale Storm Show" aka "Oh! Susannah" in which Gale sang two, count 'em, two songs, both of them from her new Dot single.  Funny how I'd totally forgotten about her singing in that show.  And the numbers were done quite well, too.  Given that Nick Castle staged them, I shouldn't be surprised.  It's amazing how slight Gale Storm was...tiny little waist.  Lord knows those days are behind her (and me).  But what fun!  And dear, sweet Zasu Pitts with her hands all aflutter with a life of their own sometimes!

I only watched part of "The Millionaire" -- Miss Allison Hayes co-stars in this episode.  It was time for "Miss Match" and I'll take it up again later.  I'm promised "Car commercials" on the end of the tape.

All of this was a surprise tape courtesy of one JRand53 of Indiana who took to heart my waxing nostalgic just one week ago on this here unseemly forum

Thanks, Jack!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 10:29:35 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #338 on: November 14, 2003, 10:32:19 PM »

Well, Tom.  It's you and me, mate!  Left to our own devices to keep this here forum going.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #339 on: November 14, 2003, 10:35:08 PM »

Tom?  Tommy?  TP?

Are you there?

You aren't being distracted by colorful exotic birds perching on your window sills are you?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #340 on: November 14, 2003, 10:41:39 PM »

To be fair to fans of the original "Mutiny on the Bounty," I'm happy you are getting a DVD of this great adventure film.

I'm a huge fan of the 1962 remake with Marlon Brando.  It's a grand adventure, brilliantly filmed and acted with one of the all-time great movie scores!  It's dazzling in its widescreen laserdisc presentation and I'm shocked and appalled iit isn't yet available on DVD.

And, I'm a fan of the 1968 remake of "Goodbye, Mr. Chips."  I'm sure this has been discussed in this forum several times.  O'Toole is masterful in the role of Chipping and Petula Clark is heaven as the music hall star he woos and marries.  Yes, it's a deviation from the original story in several ways, but it's a sublime movie-movie, gorgeously photographed, wonderfully scored with great lilting tunes (and some incredibly bad lyrics in a few of the songs, but they're so bad they're wonderful, too).

Its widescreen laserdisc presentation is also dazzling and the film needs to be on DVD with the best sound reproduction possible.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 10:47:43 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #341 on: November 14, 2003, 10:42:20 PM »

He's back. I am listening to Mr Reams and Ms Morrow paying tribute to the works of Mr Herman. Not sure what the evening holds. I have a few DVDs from which to choose. Not sure that I want to face the rigours of "The Hours" but may try "About Schmidt". of course Colin may well make another choice entirely.. After the DVD I will of course come back on line to post another 25 or so times just to annoy you. NOT.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 10:50:04 PM by Tom from OZ »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #342 on: November 14, 2003, 10:43:48 PM »

Not the birds Ron. It is Fosca and Magnus who are quite aware that it is past their feeding time. Priorities.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #343 on: November 14, 2003, 10:49:07 PM »

Enjoy your films.

I have "The Pianist" -- have had it for months. Can't seem to find the right frame of mind to see it.

Loved "The Hours".  Very much.

Of course, I adore "Steel Magnolias," so whatcha gonna do?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #344 on: November 14, 2003, 10:50:01 PM »

Annoy me?  You don't annoy me.

Besides, I won't be here.  Having posted my 450th post, I'm going to wind down and call it a night.

Happy Saturday afternoon/evening to you, Tommy!

Tomovoz

« Reply #345 on: November 14, 2003, 10:53:26 PM »

Good night Ron. I found "The Pianist" totally cold. Cold as steel. But then it could have been flowery like those Magnolias or warm and sickly like Beaches. Just kidding. There are worse ways to spend an evening - watching "Blood Brothers" or listening to its score come to mind.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #346 on: November 14, 2003, 10:57:03 PM »

I know it's the wrong place but I am lazy and Mark is loitering. Is there a way to delete those "failures" a few of us have had when trying to post our pictures to the profiles?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 10:57:55 PM by Tom from OZ »
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #347 on: November 14, 2003, 10:59:09 PM »

Special people get to use "Tommy" or TP.

And here we hit an amusing cultural bump!

In the U.S. of A., "TP" is the popular abbreviation for papier de toilette (trying to put it delicately).

And "Tommy", of course, is a Hilfiger cologne/perfume brand.

"Mom, you can say 'toilet paper' over the phone."  Richie Cunningham to his mother, Mrs. Cunningham.  (from "Happy Days")
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #348 on: November 14, 2003, 11:07:20 PM »

Yes, a recipe day soon.  Meanwhile you will not want to be errant and truant tomorrow because the topic of the day is really fun and you will want to post about it all the livelong day and night.

Damn...I'm going to be gone all day tomorrow!  I leave at about 6:45 a.m. and will pop back home for a short time at around 2:00 p.m.  Then I'm going to Seattle for the rest of the day and won't get back until real late.  :-\  But I'll check in at 2:00 and when I get home late tommorow night (a Yentl reference).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #349 on: November 14, 2003, 11:07:50 PM »

Honey, I'm home!!!

So, any of you who were waiting up just for me, can now retire for the night (providing you have done your 50 posts for the day).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #350 on: November 14, 2003, 11:08:15 PM »

I have been watching the Bette Midler Gypsy - very interesting to watch after watching the Russell film.  I will have much to say on this topic in Sunday's notes.  

Amazingly, we have achieved our second highest day today.  Let's not let down during the weekend.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #351 on: November 14, 2003, 11:09:26 PM »

DR TCB--My answer to the question you probably forgot you asked is puhleeze.  Not in the least.

DR Michael Shayne--One clue that your website source about where QFaD was filmed was suspect was that it placed the Pantages Theater in the diamond district.  The diamond district is in downtown L.A., and the Pantages is in Hollywood.  You can't believe everything you read on the web, to make an obvious point.

DR MS again--Love the suggested title change for Urinetown!

If we combine two threads of conversation from earlier this evening, we could have Bjorn on a Donkey.  Not sure if such a film could be legally sold or presented everywhere, but I'm sure it would find its audience.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 11:10:57 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #352 on: November 14, 2003, 11:19:31 PM »

Yes it was HK now that I think of it. Joel Silver probably played a press agent in another film

Actually, Michael, Joel Silver played Harvey Korman in another film.  Or did he play Harvey Bristol Cream?  I can never remember.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #353 on: November 14, 2003, 11:20:33 PM »

George: I never cease to be amazed at the trivia that resides in the memories of Hainsies and Kimlets.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #354 on: November 14, 2003, 11:25:16 PM »

Thank you TCB. I have indeed waited. I have just had a phone call from a friend residing in the land of Queens in our far north. A surprise call indeed and a pleasant one at that.
James Thurber 1957

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #355 on: November 14, 2003, 11:26:41 PM »

I am up way too late.  

Tom--that's really interesting about the fast food chains being re-named in Oz!  I had no idea.  What confuses me though is why they went from Taco Bell to Taco Bill.  You would think if they were going to change the name, they would change more than one letter!

Well, goodnight everyone!

Tomovoz

« Reply #356 on: November 14, 2003, 11:26:42 PM »

Now to check and see if I have reached the 50 target.  Isn't trying really had good enough.
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #357 on: November 14, 2003, 11:28:39 PM »

Back from LA JUIVE. I made $35 in tips tonight, which is FABULOUS compared to the usual $10. Now I'm eating shortbread cookies (I think Walker's Shortbread Rounds and/or Fingers are truly God's gift to the world) and I'm watching "Murder By Death," thanks to NetFlix. What a great movie.

I have only seen the Midler GYPSY once, and I don't remember it at all. It's apparently not available on VHS or DVD, since Amazon had used copies for $85 a piece. YIKES!

I can't tell which direction Peter Falk is looking...that creeps me out a bit.

Got an early copy of THE BOY FROM OZ recording. It's a very good representation of what you would see onstage, though I must say Mr. Jackman is far more appealing onstage than he is on disc...not to discount his singing, but he truly sparkles when you see him in person.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #358 on: November 14, 2003, 11:30:48 PM »

GREAT NEWS!!

The Off-Broadway revue Listen to My Heart: The Songs of David Friedman has rescinded the closing notice that was posted earlier this week.
According to producer Victoria Lang, the show -- which opened on Wednesday, October 23 -- needed to sell 600 tickets to stay open past this Sunday, and that figure was reached in one day. Lang told TheaterMania.com that the show will now employ new marketing and audience development teams, that it will rely less heavily on traditional advertising and focus more on grass-roots efforts to build an audience. Listen to My Heart's celebrity supporters include Kathie Lee Gifford (who wrote the lyrics to one of the songs in the show, "Only My Pillow Knows") and psychic John Edward. Lang says that Edward, who felt his mother speaking to him through one of Friedman's songs, will devote two upcoming episodes of his popular television show Crossing Over to the show, its cast, and its performing space.

added by me:  The John Edwards thing is a bit much

Well, couldn't John Edwards have just predicted that they wouldn't close and saved them all some grief?
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #359 on: November 14, 2003, 11:30:49 PM »

Would you believe 45? I too am amazed. I shall not be as prolific tomorrow. I shall be attending a Record Fair at some stage during the day and may go for a swim as well. It was a warm 35 degrees C here today which is a little hotter than the usual mid November spring day.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up