Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE END OF THE WEEK IS NIGH  (Read 17158 times)

Ben

Re:THE END OF THE WEEK IS NIGH
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2005, 08:04:11 AM »

Here we are!

Somebody Dance!!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 08:04:26 AM by Ben »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2005, 08:13:35 AM »

Really running late this morning, but I wanted to jump on the forum and say good morning. Will be back later with the Friday Media Check.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2005, 08:15:27 AM »

Oh, I meant to mention last night that I actually watched some of BIG BROTHER last night. I was actually watching SMALLVILLE, but would flip over to see what was happening during commercials. I saw the twins from BB5 and the vote off. Also saw the HOH competition.

At this point I have no opinions about anyone since I haven't seen them in action too much, but didn't care for Beau much.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2005, 08:40:07 AM »

It's nigh noon here in NYC.
Well, not quite nigh noon, but nigh nigh noon.

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2005, 08:42:11 AM »

Media check:

CD (car) - audiobook The Secret History of the Pink Carnation, written by Lauren Willig, narrated by Kate Reading.  Kate is one of my favorite audio readers and I often make my selections based on who's narrating.  Very ironically, I switched this morning from NPR, which had just reported on yesterday's explosions in the London Underground, to the beginning of this book, which is set on a London Underground train.

iPod (right now) - The Only Broadway CD You'll Ever Need.  Not true, but I'm enjoying the eclectic mix.

DVD - Muriel's Wedding
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2005, 08:55:35 AM »

iPod (right now) - The Only Broadway CD You'll Ever Need.  Not true, but I'm enjoying the eclectic mix.

DR Ginny, something I did on my iPod last weekend that was kind of amusing:  I created a "Musicals" smart playlist and sorted the songs in alphabetical order.  In one instance, I listened to Jerry Orbach and Marian Mercer sing "A Fact Can Be A Beautiful Thing".  Immediately after, I heard Orbach announce, "Look, in a few minutes we're gonna have a big press conference here."--the lead-in from "A Little Bit Of Good" from Chicago.

Sometimes, the most amusing juxtapositions do happen.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2005, 08:58:35 AM »

Here we are!

Somebody Dance!!!

I'll bring the music!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2005, 09:13:45 AM »

...This reminds me of a joke that I received in an e-mail, called "CURTAIN RODS."  It's actually about a spurned woman and her revenge, but you'll understand:
Good one!  Der B has a friend back in CA who collects these, and I'm sure she'll love it.  I'm passing it on!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2005, 09:16:13 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - MAKE A WISH (OCR)

DVD - MONK, Season 2, Disc 4
          OCEANS TWELVE

DVR - 21 GRAMS
          THE VERDICT (Greenstreet/Lorre)
          THE GREEN HORNET

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2005, 09:18:45 AM »

Just made a quick trip to the grocery store to pick up a rotisserie chicken (sale price all day Friday), and it is just stifling outside. Yet, the monring newspaper said that this July has been more moderate in temperature than the summer of 2002. 2002 was the summer I had to have my entire central air unit replaced, so I guess the only thing I remember about that summer was how broke I was after paying for that.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2005, 09:20:07 AM »

I noticed that THE PUNISHER isbeing shown tnoight on Showtime. I've missed the other broadcasts of this, but as I like the leading actor Thomas Jane a lot, I'm going to try to catch it "live." It will be finished before MONK's new episode comes on at 10.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2005, 09:21:21 AM »

Read in VARIETY this morning that WILL & GRACE's season premiere for their final season (September 29th) will be done live for the East Coast, and then they will perform it again live for the West Coast. This is going to be the first of several live telecasts during its final season.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2005, 09:23:22 AM »

We're about to leave on our cross country trek, so I will be seeing you in August (almost a Sherman Edwards reference ;) ).

Same Time Next Year story:  some of you may remember me talking about my late Uncle, who used to try to invest in Sondheim shows for the tax write-off (cruel, but true).  He was absolutely irate (in a joking way) one day when I spoke to him:  one of his tenants had written a play that was expected to close out of town and Charlie had put quite a bit of money into it, expecting yet another tax windfall.  You've guessed the punchline:  the tenant was Bernie Slade, the show was Same Time, Next Year, and Charlie had capital gains taxes up the yazoo for the next two years!!   ;D

Media:  CD:  Celtic fusion band Kila
DVD:  finished the last Peter Wimsey mystery, watching a freebie DVD set of Matt Frewer playing Sherlock Holmes right now.  Can't decide if he's delightfully different or just plain annoying.   :D

Jane/Cilla:  I sent you both emails this morning with relevant details.  Looking forward to it!!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2005, 09:25:17 AM »

On the matter of ineffectual bosses that was discussed yesterday, the principal I worked under for the last four years of my career had a terrible habit of calling all of is into a teachers' meeting and criticizing something that only one or two teachers were doing. I never understood why he didn't confront the guilty parties and correct them personally rather than dragging us all through the ringer, but it did it time after time. I felt it REALLY destroyed morale around the school and didn't win him any friends either. I had no regrets leaving that work environment when my time was up.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2005, 09:26:33 AM »

The only thing to report for media today, for me:

Book: Harry Potter 6

(We've been busy with many other things, all of which have been enjoyable.  Nothing like a work week where I get five extra hours in...not bad for part time work.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2005, 09:27:13 AM »

Safe journey, DR JMK.  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2005, 09:31:44 AM »

Today is National Penuche Day.

It is also Rat Catcher's Day.  Reputedly, in 1376 the Pied Piper got rid of all the rats in the German town of Hamelin. When the townspeople refused to pay, the Pied Piper led all the towns children away.

(Which seems to be fitting more as part of yesterday's TOD, unusual pets.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2005, 09:34:17 AM »

Happy Trails to DR JMK!   :D

Jason

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2005, 09:40:20 AM »

On the matter of ineffectual bosses that was discussed yesterday, the principal I worked under for the last four years of my career had a terrible habit of calling all of is into a teachers' meeting and criticizing something that only one or two teachers were doing. I never understood why he didn't confront the guilty parties and correct them personally rather than dragging us all through the ringer, but it did it time after time. I felt it REALLY destroyed morale around the school and didn't win him any friends either. I had no regrets leaving that work environment when my time was up.

My supervisor does the exact same thing and it drives me up the wall. What I can't understand is - the person you're trying to correct doesn't know that they're making a mistake in the first place, so how are they supposed to get that they are the culprit?? If you can't speak to someone directly to correct them or reprimand them or (God forbid) encourage or congratulate them, then perhaps you shouldn't be in a managorial position. That's all I'm saying...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 09:40:52 AM by Jason »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2005, 09:43:22 AM »

Today is National Penuche Day.

It is also Rat Catcher's Day.  Reputedly, in 1376 the Pied Piper got rid of all the rats in the German town of Hamelin. When the townspeople refused to pay, the Pied Piper led all the towns children away.

Two things about the Piper:

1.  There's a wonderful book for young readers, WHAT HAPPENED IN HAMELIN by Gloria Skrebneski, about the occurrence.  I recommend it.

2.  Louis Ganne wrote a wonderful operetta HANS LE JOUEUR DE FLUTE, also inspired by the Hamelin incident, about the need for subsidized arts.  The Met and City Opera should both be performing it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2005, 09:49:52 AM »

Kerry: Glad you like Getting Away With You - Grant did a great job on that track.

Re Valentine: I've heard the same thing from several people.  The joke is, if she really wanted to do that for that label, she should have insisted on bringing me in.

Re Lennon:  You wouldn't know it was awful from the usual theater chatboards, because the producers are sending in everyone they can to rave about it.  It's blatant and pathetic.  I'm sure there are some people who DO love it, but the raves I've seen that seem legit are all from seventeen year olds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2005, 09:50:22 AM »

elmore - she's only on one track, if you don't care for her. :-)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2005, 09:51:47 AM »

Flippant

They call him Flippant, Flippant, quick with a putdown,
No-one you see, has his repartee,
And we know Flippant, lives to point out every blunder,
Crawling  there-under, under your feet!

Nobody loves this ant's constant "me",
Ever so mean and vicious is he,
Tricks he will play when children appear,
And how quickly they run when he's near!

They call him Flippant, Flippant, quick with a putdown,
No-one you see's more smart-assed than he,
But someday Flippant, he'll make a very bad blunder,
And will be crushed under, under your feet!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 09:54:16 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2005, 09:54:11 AM »

A very cowardly managerial strategy, I think.  Unfortunately, all it does is antagonize the non-offenders and rarely gets through to the people who really need to be dealt with.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2005, 09:56:39 AM »

I recently read about a "workplace" strategy that, from a strictly mathematical viewpoint, goes like this:

What Makes 100%? What does it mean to give MORE than 100%? Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%? We have all been to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%. How about achieving 103%? What makes up 100% in life?

Here's a little mathematical formula that might help you answer these questions:

If:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z is represented as:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then:

H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K

8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

and

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E

11+14 +15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But,

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E

1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

And,

B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T

2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%

AND, look how far ass kissing will take you.

A-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G

1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty that While Hard work and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you there, it's the Bullshit and Ass kissing that will put you over the top.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 09:58:09 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2005, 10:05:23 AM »

I recently read about a "workplace" strategy that, from a strictly mathematical viewpoint, goes like this:

DR Ron Pulliam:  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2005, 10:06:25 AM »

What Makes 100%? What does it mean to give MORE than 100%? Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%? We have all been to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%. How about achieving 103%? What makes up 100% in life?

<SNIP>

AND, look how far ass kissing will take you.

A-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G

1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

<SNIP>

I got this in an e-mail last month from a friend of mine, but the ending was different.  Here's what I received:

AND, look how far Brown Nosing will take you.

B-R-O-W-N-N-O-S-I-N-G
2+18+15+23+14+14+15+19+9+14+7 = 15O%
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2005, 10:07:17 AM »

Whew!

BAD TERRIBLE STORM.  Waited it out at the theatre last night.  But NO power at home until almost 3 a.m.

Wasn't even forecast!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2005, 10:08:10 AM »

PIPPIN has some problems, but they will sort themselves out, I think.  I just wish that if the singer and director and musical director ahd decided to add some choruses and switch the verses around, they had thought to mention it to the choreographer!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2005, 10:08:32 AM »

DR STUART - what time does Music at Noon start?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up