Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE END OF THE WEEK IS NIGH  (Read 17138 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE END OF THE WEEK IS NIGH
« on: July 22, 2005, 12:04:14 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what is nigh and what isn't, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - which will be in the nigh time.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 12:04:26 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE END OF THE WEEK IS NIGH
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 12:05:27 AM »

And the word of the day is: FLIPPANT!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 12:09:35 AM »

Last DVD watched "Queen Of The Stardust Ballroom".

CD:  "Ballroom"
         David Seville - The music of...
         (some deligthful novelty songs such as "Judy", "The Bird On My Head" and "Gotta Get To Your House")
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 12:11:04 AM »

Flipping ants seems only a touch less sadistic than pulling the legs off flies.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 12:23:53 AM »

And writing of David Seville - and thus a Witch Doctor connection - I've recently been playing a Sheb Wooley (Purple People Eater) CD. Great parody songs and their original sources - Ben Colder's "Eskimos, Mean Old Queens and Little Bitty Steers".

I'm known for my good taste in Pop music.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 12:53:08 AM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 12:46:23 AM »

Well, it's official:  my housemate (Peter) is engaged.  His "ladyfriend" is now his fiancee...or however you spell it.  Anyway, he's gonna get hitched and move out.  Not until some time next year (not quite a Same Time Next Year reference, but close ;)).  Anyway, he popped the question last night and she said yes.  FINALLY!!  I can live by myself again!  My credit cards will almost be paid off, but it'll be close enough that I'm sure that I can manage the few months until they are.  So that's the big news. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 12:48:16 AM »

Tomovoz - I just ran to amazon and purchased the last copy of the David Seville disc - Camel Rock was one of my favorite songs when I was a child.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 12:48:32 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 12:49:09 AM »

FLIPPANT, baby, FLIPPANT!

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 12:52:10 AM »

Tomovoz - I just ran to amazon and purchased the last copy of the David Seville disc - Camel Rock was one of my favorite songs when I was a child.
Good to hear BK. I took a leaf out of the BK book (Can't remember which page) and purchased mine through the Amazon Japan site.  The whole album is enjoyable.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 12:55:46 AM »

Yesterday, Tpunk wrote:
Part of me is thrilled that I've been given an early ticket out of there, and part of me is bummed that it is ending this way after almost 4 years of partnering with and supporting this person. I'm going to try to think good thoughts and stick with being thrilled.

And Dan (the Man) responded:
DR TPunk, that is probably the best way to go. Leave with a smile on your face and don't give the joint a second thought once you are gone.

Or...

Or...you could start planting some empty vodka bottles in out-of-the-way hiding places in the office. Mix up a few files. And then off-handedly mention to your replacement that she should be careful because Mrs. So-and-So drinks a little. And then leave with a smile on your face.

This reminds me of a joke that I received in an e-mail, called "CURTAIN RODS."  It's actually about a spurned woman and her revenge, but you'll understand:

CURTAIN RODS

She spent the first day packing her belongings into boxes, crates and suitcases. On the second day, she had the movers come and collect her things.

On the third day, she sat down for the last time at their beautiful dining room table by candlelight, put on some soft background music, and feasted on a pound of shrimp, a jar of caviar, and a bottle of Chardonnay.

When she had finished, she went into each and every room and deposited a few half-eaten shrimp shells, dipped in caviar, into the hollow of the curtain rods. She then cleaned up the kitchen and left.

When the husband returned with his new girlfriend, all was bliss for the first few days. Then slowly, the house began to smell. They tried everything; cleaning and mopping and airing the place out. Vents were checked for dead rodents, and carpets were steam-cleaned. Air fresheners were hung everywhere.

Exterminators were brought in to set off gas canisters, during which they had to move out for a few days, and in the end they even paid to replace the expensive wool carpeting.

Nothing worked. People stopped coming over to visit... Repairmen refused to work in the house...the maid quit...

Finally, they could not take the stench any longer and decided to move.

A month later, even though they had cut their price in half, they could not find a buyer for their stinky house. Word got out, and eventually, even the local realtors refused to return their calls.

Finally, they had to borrow a huge sum of money from the bank to purchase a new place.

The ex-wife called the man, and asked how things were going. He told her the saga of the rotting house. She listened politely, and said that she missed her old home terribly, and would be willing to reduce her divorce settlement in exchange for getting the house back...

Knowing that his ex-wife had no idea how bad the smell was, he agreed on price that was about 1/10th of what the house had been worth...But only if she were to sign the papers that very day. She agreed, and within the hour, his lawyers delivered the paperwork.

A week later, the man and his new girlfriend stood smirking as they watched the moving company pack everything to take to their new home...

...including the curtain rods.

I LOVE A HAPPY ENDING, DON'T YOU??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 12:56:11 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Ben

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 04:10:13 AM »

I'm listening to BBC Radio 2 right now. It's a Folk music show hosted by Mike Harding.

I don't know what I'll listen to here at work. Anthony has been watching some Miss Marple episodes while sifting through seven weeks of various and sundried accumulations. He may be going to an audition for Beauty and the Beast for a theatre in Arkansas tomorrow. I will be getting my hairs cut (not just one but all of them, it's too hot to have long hair, I don't know how girls do it) and then I will be seeing a friend in a showcase production of The Real Inspector Hound.

Off to work. And I'm not being flippant when I say that. So there!

Tomovoz

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 04:12:52 AM »

Have a Good Friday Ben.  If it were Easter, that would be flippant I guess.
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 04:30:08 AM »

And a good Friday to you, also, though me thinks tis already Saturday for you.

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 04:31:42 AM »

Not for another 150 minutes Ben.
My Friday was indeed quite good.

OzDerek sends thanks and greetings. I caught up with him today.
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 05:07:45 AM »

Jason, I've been slowly catching up with the posts I missed last week and I came across your blog! Funny stuff, especially the musical theatre bios. Oh, my. Some of them ring so true.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 05:14:17 AM »

Good morning, all!  Does anyone remember that 9-LP set of Readers Digest A TREASURY OF GREAT OPERETTAS, later augmented to 12 LPs?  I've come across a 3-CD set of 9 of the recordings, but I wonder why the entire set wasn't put onto compact disc.  Jeannette Scovotti's recording of "The Nightingale and the Star" from MLLE MODISTE was truly wonderful and I wish it were available on disc..  I've been importing the 3 discs this morning.  before I tackle "Not on Your Nellie."  I'm down to the last 3 DOTD numbers.

Wasn't FLIPPANT one of DRMBarnum's favorite tv shows?  I always thought he was a fan of Brian Kelly.

TOD:  
  CD:  Treasury of Great Operettas, New Guy In Town (I'm having a hard time with Kerry Butler's nasal voice), Philip Chaffin's new CD.
  DVD:  The Prince of the Pagodas
  VCR:  DRJed, where's that video?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 05:43:18 AM »

CD's:

Guy Haines, of course.  I love "Getting Away With You."   Hearing it stuck in traffic on my way to work just makes the song even better.  sigh.... :-\

Tim Draxl's new CD (he's still quite good and shows signs of maturing nicely.  Unfortunately, he's also felt the need to be hip.  Very unfortunate)  Peter Matz' arrangements are wonderful.

Sally Mayes' "Valentine"  Bruce, you should have produced this album.  The sound and the arrangements could use you.  She has such a terrific voice but you'd never know it from this album-- what a waste of good songs and a good talent.

Last DVD's we watched were "Kinsey" and "Pollock"  I had a hankering to watch biographical films with one word titles.  Maybe I'll continue my one word title rampage:  Gypsy, Annie, Them! etc.

And it is not nigh; it is Friday.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 05:44:39 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 05:55:28 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]media [/move] [move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]check[/move][/b]

iPod:  John Pizzarelli--Knowing You, later on today the OBC of All Shook Up and maybe the new Carley Simon standards CD.

DVD Player -- Mystery Science Theatre 3000:  Manos, The Hands of Fate

VCR:  ????
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 06:00:48 AM »

Last DVD's we watched were "Kinsey" and "Pollock"  I had a hankering to watch biographical films with one word titles.  Maybe I'll continue my one word title rampage:  Gypsy, Annie, Them! etc.

Don't forget Hoffa.

I remember when the preview of this movie was first shown.  At the end, very momentously, the words
HOFFA
CHRISTMAS
[/b]
appeared on the screen.  From somewhere in the movie theatre I heard someone sing out "Have a Hoffa, Hoffa Christmas!  It's the best time of the year!"

Ya had to be there...

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 06:27:26 AM »

Greetings all.

Media Check:
VCR:  Last night's BB6, because we thought we weren't going to be able to see it, but were.  No big surprises there.
CD/Car: A CHORUS LINE (OBC)
Office:  Ever trusty AOL Radio ("Many a New Day" -- Ugggh!/S. Jones)
DVD, Sadly, nothing since we finished Season 2 of Queer as Folk earlier this week.

Jason

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2005, 07:04:07 AM »

Buongiorno a tutti! (I think I misspelled that, but I've never studied Italian, so I'm not to blame. How's THAT for flippant?)

Ben: I'm so glad you enjoyed the blog entries. I've been wringing my hands in worry over that stupid blog. Every time I update the page, an email notice goes out to everyone on my Friendster list (59 people right now). Now, these people are supposedly my "friends" so you would think they wouldn't mind, but apparently a few of them do. I've been told to quit blogging so much or to switch to a different blog (like LiveJournal) and that I apparently have way to much time on my hands if I can spare the time to write my blog entries. Well, I'm tired of hearing them complain. I'm going to write a terse, perhaps even FLIPPANT, note to everyone on my Friendster list explaining that I don't care if they read the blog or not. I will explain to them how they can NOT receive updates when I post an entry and if they choose to continue to receive those updates then I don't want to hear anymore about it and they can just kiss my buttcheeks.

I plan to do more bios in the near future. ;)

DR Kerry: What are you sending me?? I'm excited!

TOD: DVD: The 4400 First Season
VHS: Who knows!?!
CD (Home): CAROLINE, OR CHANGE; THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA; The Carpenters' Greatest Hits
CD (Work): A random compilation of country music that I made last year.
Portable MP3 Player: My Tonys compilation - still.

I saw LENNON last night. It was awful. AWFUL! So boring and so very, very confusing. All of the actors/actresses onstage (with the exception of the Asian girl - she played Yoko Ono) play Mr. Lennon throughout the show. As if that weren't confusing enough, they also played OTHER characters, so the short black man who just played John Lennon all of a sudden is now Paul McCartney and now Terrance Mann, who was just Ringo Starr, is John Lennon and now Mandy Gonzalez (of DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES), who was just a random hippie chick is now playing John Lennon and...well, you get the idea. It was such a confuzzled mess. And it was 2h20min!!! Of that 2 1/2 hours, they spent 10 minutes discussing the Beatles and the rest of the time trying to convince us that Lennon wasn't a heavy drug user and that Yoko wasn't so weird as all that and loudly singing "Give Peace A Chance" at us. And then they showed us the video of Lennon and Yoko singing "Imagine." The cast didn't even sing the stupid song! They followed that with a curtain call of "Give Peace A Chance." Thanks for beating us over the head with that idea. I think we got it the first five times you sang it.

Hopefully this will be the death of the jukebox musical. I'm sure it won't be (not even GOOD VIBRATIONS could stop them), but a boy can dream, can't he??
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 07:07:02 AM by Jason »

Ben

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2005, 07:10:03 AM »

I'm seeing Lennon in August. Got free tickets from a friend who can't see the show. They are good, full price tickets. I heard the show was "in trouble" but I don't always want to buy into the Internet buzz (and sometimes it's not even true). It doesn't sound good for Lennon, though. Perhaps they should have taken a page from the Roth contingent who pulled the plug on Mambo Kings.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2005, 07:13:15 AM »

Hopefully this will be the death of the jukebox musical. I'm sure it won't be (not even GOOD VIBRATIONS could stop them), but a boy can dream, can't he??

It better not be--I'm hard at work on the book for the new Billy Idol musical, Rebel Yell.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2005, 07:13:43 AM »

Jason, you're in for one of those special treats tonight w/Blonde in the Thunderbird. Try to close your mouth (your jaw will drop) after "If I Only Had a Brain" It is truly one of the most bizarre moments in her show or any show. It will be difficult to close your mouth because there are other jaw-dropping moments. My good theatre friend wanted to see it but he's been in London on business since July 9th and he won't return until Saturday evening. He will have missed the show. Too bad! I can say that I was there (meow to me)!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2005, 07:29:06 AM »

Only sixteen days until we move into the new church. I hope it's finished by then!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2005, 07:53:50 AM »

Quote from: Dan (the Man)

DVD Player -- Mystery Science Theatre 3000:  Manos, The Hands of Fate

One of the funniest ever episodes!

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2005, 08:00:38 AM »

Media Check:

CD: YOUR HIT PARADE: 50s INSTRUMENTALS
       NOW ARABIA 2005
       JACKIE GLEASON: MUSIC TO MAKE YOU MISTY

DVD: CAROUSEL (because I am gonna meet Shirley   Jones next weekend)

VHS: CHOPPING MALL (because I am gonna meet Tony O'Dell next weekend)

Ben

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2005, 08:03:57 AM »

And I'm gonna push us to Page 2
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up