Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PACKING A WALLOP  (Read 17000 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PACKING A WALLOP
« on: July 24, 2005, 12:03:13 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have packed a wallop, I've packed a wallop, and you've packed a wallop, therefore it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently packing a wallop, and I think we all know how slow those damnable cows are at packing.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 12:10:34 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PACKING A WALLOP
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 12:04:55 AM »

And the word of the day is: STURGEON!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 12:06:14 AM »

Wasn't that a Madonna song? -  "Like a Sturgeon"
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 12:06:36 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 12:09:43 AM »

Soup:
Sweet Potato with Coconut Milk and Fresh ginger.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 12:35:06 AM »

Soup = :P

Tomovoz, I have finished the CDs for you and I'll mail them on Monday!  I'm sorry that it took so long, but I hope you'll think it was worth it!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 12:47:58 AM »

Thanks DR George.  I can fill in the time playing MBarnum's songs from Bollywood.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 01:32:03 AM »

We're just a couple of chatterboxes, aren't we, Tomovoz? ;)

I'm actually listening to a used CD that I just got today through Amazon.com:  Melissa Errico's Blue Like That.  It's very nice.  All of the arrangements are pop-oriented, and she never really lets loose with her voice ("Diamond In the Rough" comes the closest to showing off what she can do), but overall, I'm thoroughly enjoying this somewhat quiet CD sung by a wonderful singer.  I recommend it. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 02:49:34 AM »

Welcome, DR FJL!
Hope you understand my awkward English.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 02:51:54 AM »

Soup;
I, of course, love several kind of miso soups and my favorite ingredients are cabbage, Tofu and spinach, clams, and potato and onion as has been mentioned on the occasion of the potato topic.
Exotic soup. I like Tom Yum Goong soup very much but I can’t make it, as its taste is too complicated(?) for me to cook by myself.
My Onion Gratin Soup always gets a favorable review by everyone who has it. So I love to cook it anytime. :)  My special is a slice of very crispy baguette(not sure the spelling) putting under some melting mixed (mozzarella and parmigiano) cheesees.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 03:13:11 AM »

Good morning, all!  I just missed DRHisaka.

DRs RonPulliam and Tomovoz, much as I love CAROUSEL, and I was lucky enough to see the Lincoln Center revival with John Raitt, Jerry Orbach, Susan Watson, and Edward Everett Horton.  It was a glorious production and one of my great theatre experiences.   I think the film is a poor semblance of the show:
  1.  The prologue with the starkeeper gives too much away
  2.  I find Barbara Ruick as Carrie far too coy and cutesy
  3.  the soundtrack recording is better than the film

Still, when I was 11 years old, I thought CAROUSEL was a wonderful film; now I wish it were better.  Give me OKLAHOMA! with Charlotte Greenwood, Gene Nelson. Gloria Grahame any day.

Soup?  Soup of the evening, beautiful soup!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 06:21:59 AM »

DR George, I think I taped BB6 last night. Although I was too exhausted to check when i got home (but i think i have it)./

If your niece still wants it (and nobody closer taped it), I could copy it to dvd and send it. Although you probably wouldn't get it for a week+.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 07:45:21 AM »

I didn't watch any of BB6 last night. Forgot totally about it while I was busy watching OCEANS TWELVE and RIVER OF NO RETURN. I did read a re-cap this morning, and sounds like I didn't miss much other than the two nominees for eviction.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 07:47:37 AM »

I, too, love French Onion soup. If I'm dining out and want soup, that's what I almost always order.

As for canned soups, my local grocery store has a selection of soups canned under their own label, and my favorite by far is a variety called Tomato Garden. It's full of vegetables and pasta, and it's my absolute favorite canned soup. Of course, a few months ago, they stopped production on it, so I've been eating Progresso Grilled Steak soup which is really very good.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 07:48:01 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 07:48:59 AM »

I am going to be gone for a large chunk of the afternoon, so I haven't selected any DVDs for today since I won't be here to watch anything.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 07:50:02 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2005, 07:49:32 AM »

And then tonight, there are new episodes of QUEER AS FOLK, SIX FEET UNDER, and THE COMEBACK to watch, so no DVDs then either.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2005, 07:50:29 AM »

I see you on-line, DR td. Nice to see you!  :D

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2005, 07:52:17 AM »

About KISS OF DEATH, I had read that Fox had it ready for US release and then canceled it. I don't know why, and I am not sure it's been rescheduled.

This same announced then canceled scenario plagued LAURA for a year or more before it finally got released.

Kerry

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2005, 08:27:03 AM »

Favorite soups have included French Onion (only in  some cases-- with lots of cheese and sweet onions)

Cream of Pea (which is usually gross except one time at a restaurant called Cafe La Serre in around 1977.  The pea soup was glorious.  That was the only time I can say that about pea soup).

A friend made a wonderful soup with pumpkin, peanut butter (of all things), carrots and onions. Very yummy, but who would have thought it?

A nice leek and potato soup is wonderful.

And though hardly gourmet, I still like Campbell's Cream of Tomato soup anbd a grilled cheese sandwich on a rainy day or when I just need comfort food.

I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2005, 08:29:00 AM »

BTW, the DVD of "Laura" is wonderful.  Crisp black and white.  That movie is so much about mood and atmosphere that it's nice to see a good print.

Bruce, you must see the restored version of "Brief Encounter" sometime.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2005, 08:38:41 AM »

Thinking often about BLACK NARCISSUS that I watched for the first time the other day. I ordered the DVD so I could experience it again (without commercials), and the Criterion disc has a commentary and other tidbits so I figured it was worth it.

Interesting trivia note: Deborah Kerr had had an affair with Michael Powell (one of the directors of the film) earlier in her career, and during the making of the film, Kathleen Byron (who played the mad nun jealous of Kerr) was having an affair with Powell. That had to have been an interesting set!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2005, 09:03:35 AM »

I've often made soup by taking whatever I've had on hand and throwing it into the pot.  Usually turns out fairly well.

Cafe Zeus, here in Rehoboth, has a great soup made with spinach and sweet green peppers, kicked up with prosciutto.  Chef Charles also makes a killer lobster bisque.

Der Brucer, normally disdainful of tofu, loves miso soup with the little tofu cubes whenever we're at a Japanese restaurant.

I made a mushroom soup once that was very heavy on the mushers and very light on the cream.  It was yummilicious, but I cannot for the life of me remember where I found the recipe.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2005, 09:03:56 AM »

Good Morning!

Ah, sleep... :)

Unlike BK, I do not have a busy week coming up this week.  Yet.  I hope.  Tomorrow is my day to run around to various offices and say HI to various people.  I just want to get to them in person and not just over the phone.  "Hey, I'm in town!  Hire me!"  -And even though they've forecasted some possible thunderstorms during the morning, it's supposed to be a sort of nice day, in the mid-80s - just like today!

:)

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2005, 09:06:38 AM »

And then there was that spectacular flight of four chilled soups I had at Cloud Nine a few weeks ago, served in four wine glasses.  A wonderful run of a berry soup, one of cucumber, one of cantaloupe (spiked with chilis), and one of yellow watermelon.  Tasty and refreshing!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2005, 09:07:36 AM »

So, tell us, Jose, what did you really think of Ms. Somers?

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2005, 09:10:31 AM »

Over at Playbill On-Line, Suskin gives a devestating review of the Sweet Charity revival's cast recording.  Anyone interested in orchestration (and not just the usual suspects) should give it a read.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2005, 09:11:41 AM »

Time to get ready for work.

Today is National Tequila Day!!!  (But not during working hours.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2005, 09:13:35 AM »

As for soups...  I used to like almost anything cream-based, but I tend to go for lighter, "cleaner" soups now.  However, I still love a good bowl of New England Clam Chowder - which is hard to come by.

I'm a big fan of Vietnamese pho in all its variations.  I've started ordering the combinations that include some cuts of meat (bible tripe, tendon, etc.) that I've never heard of before.  Quite unctious at times, and quite delicious.

My favorite homemade soup has to be the Greek avgolemeno - a chicken,egg, lemon and rice (or orzo) soup.  Quite simple to put together, and it can be quite the warmer-upper during the winter, or refreshing in the summer.

Favorite canned - Either the traditional Campbell's Minestrone, or their newer Italian Wedding Soup - the one with the little polpetti, meatballs.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2005, 09:16:57 AM »

Time to get ready for work.

Today is National Tequila Day!!!  (But not during working hours.)

Well, if I was playing in the onstage, but behind the backdrop, band that accompanied Ms. Somers... Well...

;)

*And the band personnel also went uncredited.  And there was no AFM (musician's union) acknowledgment in the program either.  Hmmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2005, 09:21:51 AM »

DR elmore - I keep meaning to ask you... Is your current work on The Golden Apple related to the concert staging(?) coming up in a few weeks somewhere up the Hudson?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2005, 09:29:17 AM »

As for soups...  I used to like almost anything cream-based, but I tend to go for lighter, "cleaner" soups now.  However, I still love a good bowl of New England Clam Chowder - which is hard to come by.

The Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, Massachusetts had the best clam chowder we have ever tasted.  One day I want to return there, stay at the inn and have clam chowder again.  I had hoped this would be the year, following my trip to NY.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up