Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TLC  (Read 24746 times)

Ben

Re:TLC
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2005, 05:59:53 AM »

Kerry, drink lots of water!!! You and Lyn and the dogs have it worse than us. And don't tell me it's a dry heat. I've heard that song before. An oven is an oven  ;)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2005, 06:01:18 AM »

BALLLLLLZAC!

That always sounded dirty to me.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2005, 06:09:38 AM »

I missed the impromptu Music Man jam last night, but I'll take the opportunity to add...

She made brazen overtures to a man who never had a friend in this town till she came here

"He left River City the ly-berry building,
But he left all the books to HER!"

The Music Man was the first professional musical I saw, at age 9, at Detroit's (now gone) Riviera Theatre.  It was a touring company with Forrest Tucker and Joan Weldon.  In true Marian the Librarian fashion, I fell in love with (and married) someone who I met across the reference desk.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2005, 06:42:06 AM »

DR Kerry, I agree with you, the JEEPERS CREEPERS recording sessions would have been lots of fun to witness!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2005, 06:49:58 AM »

Greetings all.

In true Marian the Librarian fashion, I fell in love with (and married) someone who I met across the reference desk.

That is truly charming, DR Ginny!

Welcome, DR FJL.  I think I may have missed your first appearances on this here board.

TOD:
I would like to have been at the sessions for the soundtrack of MAME.  Watching Jerry Herman going crazy coaching Miss Ball would have been quite interesting.  Also, the Streisand Broadway Album sessions.

Sorry to have been so E&T.  My weekend (the Julie Budd concert and my camp's 30th anniversary celebration) was pretty spectacular.  I didn't think I was going to have as good a time at the reunion as I did, but I did.  The line-up of those sharing their memories of Stagedoor Manor was very impressive:  Jon Cryer, Josh Charles, Mandy Moore (OK, so not all of them were that impressive...), Zach Braff, Jonathan Marc Sherman, Jeff Blumenkrantz (who, with Todd Graff were the only ones that were at camp when I was there).  And that is just from the people who showed up.  As I mentioned last week, there are others who have gone on to some fairly major careers, who did not show up.  There were video montages, and songs from former campers as well.  And then we all got to go back to camp, and revisit our pasts!  (The show was at Kutshers, where I was staying for the weekend.) Pretty terrific, all the way around.  On the other hand, however, I can say that even those Borscht Belt hotels that are still around are like Norma Desmond's mansion:  All faded glory, and alte-kockers.

The downside of all of this is that I guess I was still pretty tired from the weekend's events and what not, so when I laid down to watch BB6 last night, I promptly fell asleep.  Deeply.  But the Dear Partner tells me it was quite the show, and I trust that from reading postings here, I will pick up some of the details he might not have told be about....

Ciao for now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2005, 06:59:24 AM »

Good Morning!

Decisions, decisions...

...And I have to make a phone call or two in a few...

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2005, 07:03:47 AM »

As for recording sessions, I would have liked to been at the ones for Sunday in the Park with George - mainly the "Putting It Together" sequence.  I've heard many a story about how hyped up Mandy Patinkin was, and that's why that number is soooo fast on the OCR.

And to change gears for a second, I would have also liked to have been in the studio for the recording of the opera, Carmen, with Tatiana Troyanos and Jose Carreras.
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2005, 07:10:34 AM »

Jose, did you get my email?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2005, 07:17:58 AM »

Jose, did you get my email?

Why, yes.  Yes, I did.

Soon... I promise...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2005, 07:20:13 AM »

The recording session for the original Anyone Can Whistle must have been a bit of a hoot.  The show had closed, but I think that might have relieved some of the pressure from the participants, and I think that they cut loose with their performances more so than they would have otherwise.  Plus, they must have been delighted that the show was being recorded.  The few pics I've seen of the session seems to indicate that it was a jovial time.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2005, 07:20:31 AM »

TOD:
I would like to have been at the sessions for the soundtrack of MAME.  Watching Jerry Herman going crazy coaching Miss Ball would have been quite interesting.  Also, the Streisand Broadway Album sessions.

Yes, as Ms Streisand tells the orchestrator(s) how to redo their work.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2005, 07:40:46 AM »

Yes, as Ms Streisand tells the orchestrator(s) how to redo their work.

Well, she is the uber-Barbra, dontcha know!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2005, 07:44:22 AM »

I think probably CAMELOT would have been the one I would most like to have attended. I love the score, the actors were at their peaks, and I think it would have been thrilling to see them perform.

I would have said FOLLIES, too, but the cast had to have known as they recorded it that the score would be truncated, and I think that would have put a pall over the session. At least , it would have for me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2005, 07:46:15 AM »

I have never gotten all the way through THE MAN IN THE GRAY FLANNEL SUIT. bk is right to say it is one LONG movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2005, 07:49:28 AM »

All this talk of THE MUSIC MAN is very nostalgic. On my first trip to NYC, we (my brother and I) went up on the train to meet my aunt and uncle who were already there. I was 8 at the time. As we got closer to the city, the only billboards I saw were advertising THE MUSIC MAN. Now, I knew we had tickets for MY FAIR LADY, but I remember asking my uncle when he picked us up if we could also go see THE MUSIC MAN, too. We only had one free night, and he tried to get tickets, but it was a solid sellout then and no tickets were available for the four of us.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2005, 07:50:44 AM »

At 10:30 this morning, it was 90 degrees here. No rain since last Friday. We are burning up.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2005, 07:53:36 AM »

I am SO anticipating THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW arriving on DVD this morning. The second season isn't my absolute favorite, but I think it's a show that gained in hilarity and interest during each of the seven seasons it ran.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2005, 08:01:56 AM »

...But it's Williamstown...

...And I have another 24 hours to sort things out.  Whew!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2005, 08:09:29 AM »

I don't know why I thought the Astaire-Rogers DVD collection was coming out next week. It must be the following week.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2005, 08:11:56 AM »

And as I looked at next week's releases, a wave of nostalgia came over me. Some of the Vault Disney things like TOBY TYLER, JOHNNY TREMAIN, and THE BOATNICKS. Not great movies, but so much a part of my childhood.

I've still got friends who are anxiously waiting for Disney to release DR. SYN ALIAS THE SCARECROW (sometimes called THE SCARECROW OF ROMNEY MARSH.) It's another one of those which has been announced a couple of times and then put away.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 08:12:56 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2005, 08:15:34 AM »

But we get our hands on THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY next week! Argh! All this money spent on the eve of my NYC trip.

But, can't be helped.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2005, 08:26:21 AM »

Did I mention that I hate not having my computer at home! I sure hope they fix those bent pins (I am certainly curious to know how they got bent??) and get that machine back to me upon my return to Orygun!

If not then I guess I can catch up on HHW at the library computers.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2005, 08:29:10 AM »

I just checked. The Astaire-Rogers Collection isn't released until August 16th.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2005, 08:37:36 AM »

Warning, Warning...reality show talk ahead!

Regarding BB6:

I really hate to see Eric leave. I like him and Maggie. But it does seem I am in the minority on that....but can someone tell me why James keeps saying that Eric screwed him over? I don't remember Eric doing anything bad to him (or anyone else). He did make a lot of deals with people that if they got HOH they wouldn't put him on the block, but I don't see anything wrong with that.

As you know I really like Kaysar...he is a smart player, but I wish he would have kept his word to Eric. I was disappointed that he did not. Also, I am afraid that others will use that against him in the future saying that they can't trust him because he didn't keep his word to Eric.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2005, 08:40:15 AM »

I missed the impromptu Music Man jam last night, but I'll take the opportunity to add...

She made brazen overtures to a man who never had a friend in this town till she came here

Oh, yes, she made brazen overtures
With a gilt-edged guarantee
She had a golden glint in her eye and
A velvet voice with a counterfeit ring.

Just melt her down
And you'll reveal
A lump of lead
As cold as steel...

HERE!

Where a woman's heart should be!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2005, 08:40:50 AM »

Thanks, MattH, for the reminder on THE BOATNIKS.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2005, 08:41:07 AM »

He left River City
The library building
But he left all the books to her....

Chaucer...

Rabelais...

Bal-l-l-l-l-zac!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2005, 08:46:08 AM »

HERE!

Where a woman's heart should be!

Hating to sound like a broken record, but....

"I wouldn't worry about your heart, Eve.  You can always put that award where your heart ought to be."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2005, 08:46:09 AM »

TOD:
Now, the LET IT BE sessions are the ones you want to be at if you want to experience real acrimony and dysfunction between the Beatles. I have a book that recounts them minute by minute. If I was there, I could perhaps tell them, "Hey, life's too short for this!"

ANYONE CAN WHISTLE is a good choice. To be able to meet Lee Remick and Gabriel Dell. That would be swell.

Or I could go back to an early BABES IN TOYLAND recording session and take good notes, so Elmore would have to pay me large amounts of money for my knowledge.

To watch Dylan record BLOOD ON THE TRACKS would be mesmerizing.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2005, 08:58:12 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well... I do have to head out this afternoon for a bit... -Don't worry, I carry water with me at all times.  But now I need to get ready to head out...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up