Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ORDER IN THE NOTES  (Read 24979 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:ORDER IN THE NOTES
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2003, 08:33:06 AM »

DR Maya - Writing papers? Ugh! I didn't enjoy it when I had to do all those on a manual typewriter all those eons ago. You young whippersnappers (just joking) have it SO easy with computers.

Of course, the research and writing time is the same whether then or today, but I SURE wish I had had a computer and Microsoft Word all those years ago when we had to footnote on the page, have NO mistakes on the paper, and not allowed to use white-out or erasable bond paper. Nightmare city.

Retirement seems like heaven when I think of all those hours spent writing and typing.

Good luck on your paper. I did love Walt Whitman.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2003, 08:36:54 AM »

In my entire life, not a week goes by when there's not some grating female voice urging me to throw out something truly dear to me that I've accumulated.  I like to hold onto everything I write, whether it's a carbon copy of an old letter, or an early draft of a song.  This seems reasonable to me, not so much to others.

And yes, playbills of everything I've attended.

But the reason I do this is because my mother did it before, saving the playbills of everything she attended from 1945 to 1957, just about all of them on Broadway.  (Ergo, they're of uniform size, and bound.)  As a child, I'd read these over and over, wondering what it must have been like to see the original runs of plays by Williams, Inge and Miller.  All the Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals, Carol Channing in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Rosalind Russell in both Auntie Mame and Wonderful Town, Shirley Booth in both A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and Come Back Little Sheba, Robert Preston in The Music Man.

So, I save all my playbills, thinking of the enjoyment a child of mine could derive from them someday.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2003, 08:45:46 AM »

But DR JMK - didn't I tell you, I recently opened an Indiana branch of the Frances Farmer Television Museum.

We are open weekends 11-7 and on Sundays we combine it with a big Flea Market and Craft Show!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 08:46:13 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2003, 09:39:10 AM »

All right, you guys!  Play nicely.

Collecting.  Hmmmm.....

I don't know if I truly qualify as a "collector" because my habits are erratic and, to true collectors, confounding and maddening.

I don't have to have every single issue of something, be it a magazine, or CD/LP in a specific genre, etc.  I collect the ones I "like."

I've been collecting soundtracks since 1962.  On LP, I have about 1,500 film soundtracks, scores and musicals, that I truly love.  I know folks with more than 6,000 LP soundtracks alone.  They collect "to collect" -- have to have every single LP ever issued, including reissues, foreign issues, 45 r.p.m., DJ promo copies, the works.  I know they love the music, too, but they are completists and I'm not.

Can't be bothered with that because it's the music I love to accumulate, not every occasion the music was put on a different LP.  I have more than 2,000 CD soundtracks, including re-recordings, special issues by composers, etc.

In the past few years, I've acquired an interest in collecting various things from favorite films -- posters, still sets (usually, I have to buy a set one still at a time), lobby cards (ditto what I said about still sets), inserts (those 14 X 36 posters).

And I'm nuts about window cards (usually 14 X 22 posters on heavy card stock) for Broadway musicals, having among my most treasured possessions original window cards for "A Little Night Music" and "On the Twentieth Century."  I have also no compunction about acquiring reproductions of posters if I like something well enough and the repro is as exact a copy as can be.  I have repros from most Sondheim shows (except I cannot find one of an original -- i.e. the first --"Into the Woods," but I'm patient).  A couple of months ago, I lost a bid for an original "Mack & Mabel" window card.  I was beat out in the final seconds by someone who wanted it REALLY badly.  Actually, I entertained ideas that the seller would contact me and tell me the highest bidder got carried away and bid higher than he meant to.  I was willing to pay a lot, but I wasn't fast enough to beat the clock.  To make up for the disappointment, I treated myself to an original "Dream Girls" window card at half the price I had bid for "Mack & Mabel."  I've also got an original, but post-Tony, "Cabaret" card.

Every now and then, I stumble across programs from Broadway musicals, and I have a nice assortment, including "She Loves Me" and "Hello, Dolly!"  I lost one for "Cabaret", which included one of those sample 45 r.p.m. simulated records with a few songs from the show on it.

And one of my TRUE passions is souvenir programs from movies.  I have been merciless and brutal in my acquisition of titles that rarely turn up.  Of course, there is a limit.  I once entered bidding for "Raintree County" and the bid hit $150 (yes, for that little insignificant little booklet that sold for 25 cents in the theater).  After the auction ended, another person contacted me and said she had a "Raintree County" program she'd sell me for $150.  I thanked her and declined.  Two months later, I got one for $12.50.  And once I was bidding on a "Gigi" and someone outbid me, then someone outbid them.  This was in the final moments.  That copy went for about $35.  A few lines below was another copy of the program, which I bid on and won for $8.  Go figure.  And I never could understand why the second, losing, bidder never bid on the copy I won.  

Oh...other things I've collected -- autographed photos of favorite stars.  I have an assortment of favorite TV cowboys, too.  And I have an assortment of Gary Lockwood photos.  He was in my favorite childhood TV series, "The Lieutenant" which didn't have a long run.

And I have two cast photos from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (different seasons...one with Angel and Cordelia in the photo,  and the other with Riley, Spike and Tara in the photo) signed by the entire cast (original, not a print)!  

I have a nice assortment of autographs, plus caricatures and photos of Broadway musical composers and lyricists, bought in unbelievable lots.  Sondheim is among the autographs.  Some months ago, I won an auction for an unbelievable item...it was a mock-up album cover for one of the Sondheim recording issues (selections from shows I had the cast recordings of).  It was called "Sondheim" and the cover was fabric.  Sondheim had autographed it and several more (I don't know how many were done).  I paid and waited and waited and waited.  I had won this item from a PBS radio station in New Jersey.  Finally, the station said they figured it must have been lost in the mail (in more than 600 transactions on eBay through the U.S. mail, NOTHING had ever been lost).  I figured someone either "took it", or they didn't think the bid was high enough (it was given to them to raise money).  My bid had been $156.  I was reimbursed, but I'm still bitter about it.

But my prizes are my photos and signatures of film composers.  I have a nice variety, plus some interesting items like the contract for Jerome Moross' score to "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn," a contract with Edward B. Powell to arrange the main title for "The Best Years of Our Lives" and Hugo Friedhofers legal document signing over to Sam Goldwyn all rights to the music he composed for "The Best Years of Our Lives."  All these documents are signed by the named people!  I have a hotel receipt from the Beverly Hills Hotel signed by Alfred Newman in the wee small hours of a morning in 1938.

Oh, yes.  And there's an autograph from Mr. Gregory Peck on a card dealing with an anniversary of "To Kill A Mockingbird" -- something that came "with" the DVD the seller was hawking on eBay.  The card was mentioned in the description, but not as part of the subject.

Gee!  I guess I am a collector!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 09:58:38 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Richard Valley

• What is it, fish?
Rave Reviews
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2003, 09:39:23 AM »

Thought Bruce and his Merry Minions might want to see a couple of messages posted on Scarlet Street about JEEPERS CREEPERS: GREAT SONGS FROM HORROR FILMS:

This disc has been riding in my car for awhile now and my admiration for Bruce Kimmel's production grows with each hearing. There's some great stuff going on here. The clarinet solo on "Goody Goody," that terrific bass and delicate mysterious opening to MOTHRA, the great pseudo-Andrews sisters mix on "Aurora." So many treats. And I've found myself singing counterpoint harmony everytime "The Faithful Heart" (my favourite) plays. This album presents these wonderful songs in fresh, beautifully rendered stylish settings. The singers couldn't be better chosen: the comedic stylings of Judy Kaye and Alison Fraser, the sheer lovlieness of Rebecca Luker, even Susan (bless her and her dad) Gordon sounds great (she's not a pro like some of the others but she's supported and presented extremely well). Is there a better tenor than Brent Barrett? I haven't heard one. If you passed on this at Hallowe'en, it would make a GREAT stocking stuffer for the Holidays.
--Farnham Scott

Yesterday, my CD of JEEPERS CREEPERS arrived . . .

Now, on the surface this would not be news, but for the Borgo Kid, whose techno-ass is firmly ensconced in the Stone Age, this has been his very first musical CD purchase.

My God, this is an impressive piece of work! I have it playing on my computer here and now, on a gray, wet, dreary late-autumn morning while I'm doing some even drearier research and writing. Seriously, it's the kind of day and work where if it were night, I would be expecting the arrival of a raven shortly. The CD is the perfect antidote or ameliorator or facilitator -- call it what you will -- to these depressing conditions. To call it a lifesaver is hyperbole; to call it a mind-saver, however, is rather close to the truth.

Thank you to all involved in its production. I don't want to slight anyone by singling out someone else, but the female vocalists, as soloists or in harmony, are particularly inducing gooseflesh. Lilting, haunting, light-hearted, ethereal -- these people are stirring the far reaches of emotions long ossified. Why haven't these Sirens become household names as vocal stars, instead of the banal and redundant covey of one-note San Quentin quail who have become cultural icons? And, by the way, the cover design is particularly riveting -- simultaneously whimsically humorous and, if you look at it long enough and let your imagination run with it, quite disturbing.

Finally, I'd like to let all potential buyers know that I purchased this through Paypal and received the CD in less than a week. It couldn't have been quicker or easier. This from a reader of the magazine who lives remotely enough to be one of the last mail subscribers (if not indeed the last) to receive each current issue. Once again, thanks to all -- every facet of the CD's production has been pushing all the right buttons.
--The Borgo Kid

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2003, 09:40:51 AM »

Now, even you people who say you aren't collectors really are, you know.  Just think about it - what do you save, what builds up - magazines you don't want to throw out, etc.

We need more detail on these collections.  For example, are Michael Shayne's Michael Shayne mysteries first editions, classic paperbacks or what?  Are MattH's Agatha Christie's first editions, American or UK, paperbacks or what?  I'm the proud owner of quite a few of the post 40s and 50s AC first editions from the UK (those are the true firsts with rare exceptions) and I own a couple of really rare 30s titles in their US first editions (in dust jacket - you'd be surprised how rare those are).  The rarest first edition I have owned was a first edition in jacket of Raymond Chandler's The High Window, which was signed by Mr. Chandler to Billy Wilder at the time they were writing the film of Double Indemnity.  I paid a huge price for it (the most expensive thing I'd ever bought at that time) - although I was allowed to pay it off over a two-year period.  I eventually sold it and forty-nine other books in order to pay for my first pricey painting, a J.C. Leyendecker 1921 Saturday Evening Post cover - I sold that, eventually, for almost 20K more than I paid for it.  Books and art are really amazing investments if you can sense where the trend is.  They just keep going up and up.  I'll give you an example: In the late 70s, I found a first edition of To Kill a Mockingbird, a very nice copy in a pretty terrific dust jacket - it was really expensive - $70 or so.  When I got deevorced, I had to sell all my books and it went.  Today, that same copy would fetch $15 to 20,000.  

Richard Valley

• What is it, fish?
Joe Franklin
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2003, 09:43:59 AM »

Forgot to mention that JEEPERS CREEPERS associate producer Tom Amorosi and I will be appearing on New York radio's JOE FRANKLIN SHOW tonight on WOR AM. If you're a nightowl, tune in; we'll be on some time after 1:30AM and we'll be playing a song or two from the album.

Also, we've updated the Scarlet Store on our website and you can now order JEEPERS CREEPERS (plus magazines, DVDs, posters, pictures, etc.) using Credit Card, PayPal, or by printing out the order form and sending check or money order. You'll find everything at http://www.scarletstreet.com . . .

Richard Valley

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2003, 09:50:57 AM »

My gosh, what memories. I saw the original CABARET, have the Playbill and did have that 45 rpm flimsy insert to sell the cast album (but I suspect I could look forever and never find it). I also got the souvenir program, and since I saw CABARET on a matinee, there was a slick clay paper insert with photos for Despo and John Cunningham and Anita Gillette since they played matinees instead of Lotte Lenya, Bert Convey, and Jill Haworth.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2003, 09:51:11 AM »

Matt--LOL, I suppose we relative youngsters do have it rather easy with computers these days, so I really shouldn't complain too much.  I can't even remember very well the days when I turned in hand-written papers.  I would just much rather spend my Saturday being lazy then writing Whitman papers.  Even though he is a great poet.  

Noel--that Playbill collection sounds pretty incredible!  Those would definitely be something to delight your children one day...especially if you raise them on cast recordings!  

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2003, 09:55:30 AM »

bk, I have first editions in hardback of some of the later titles: SLEEPING MURDER, CURTAIN, etc. but certainly not anything like what you have. It's enough for me to have the words. As I said, an accumulator rather than a true collector. I have always been fascinated with the cover art for the paperback versions down through the years.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2003, 10:33:05 AM »

First editions:

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Will There Really Be a Morning? by Frances Farmer (2 copies)
A Rage to Live by John O'Hara

a couple of others probably.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2003, 10:48:57 AM »

JRand:  There is a poem in "A Rage to Live" that starts out "Poor wretch..." and ends with "...nothing but a rage to live."

Can you do the whole poem for me?  It's not very long.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2003, 10:51:56 AM »

I will be going to see Cabaret at the Arena Theater on December 11th, I think, as a school thing. The Drama teacher at my school gets group rate tickets that we can purchase, and o we get to attent a lot of shows. I haven't been able to do any ujntil this year, so I'm excited! After that, I think it's A Man of Men, or something of the sort. Perhaps I'll finally meet another H/K, if DR Jose is playing that night!

I don't really collect anything for the purpose of collecting it, so much as things accumulate. I have about 50 teddy bears from various parts of the United States, and some from the Caribbean. And not that this is a real collection, but I have every note ever written to me since 6th grade. It fills up about 6 shoeboxes. I also have every People Magazine I've recieved from whenever Titanic came out until now, which is almost every week. I think I have the entire Bobbsey Twins book set back from forever ago when they were popular (from my mom). Nothing of real sentimental value, except some of those notes. Mostly just a fun waste of space.

I made $39 in tips last night. I'm really liking this job. Maya, I work at the Ashburn Cafe in the Giant Shopping Food Center of Ashburn Village :).

I finally get to go and see my new cousin from Kazakhstan tomorrow! My aunt and uncle started the adoption process back in February, and it took until last weekend to get her here. Her name is Anastasia and she's absolutely beautiful and adorable and I could go on for days. She speaks almost no english, but what she CAN (and does) say is "I American girl! I American girl!"...SO cute...I'll post a picture of her.

My aunt and uncle are only responsible for the dress and the bear, not the haircut, bow, socks, or shoes :).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 10:53:22 AM by SwishySarah »
...Walk in the sunshine...

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2003, 11:03:21 AM »

Bruce...Have I got the item for your Kimmel collection. There is a house around the corner from me, a Llyod Wright, I believe...the son, not the father...undergoing reconstruction.  During this spate of bad weather, it has been covered by Kimmel Tarps.

My main source of collecting has been books, but I dabble in lots of sidelines as well.  I have about six thousand books, mostly late nineteenth century to mid-twentieth century fantasy, adventure, mystery, historical...I have an enviable Edgar Rice Burroughs collection, one of the best Rider Haggard collections around, as well as Sabatini and P.C.Wren collections.  I also collect Sax Rohmer, Talbot Mundy, Fredric Brown, Henry Treece, Conan Doyle, Robert Howard, others.  A huge part of the collection is also theatre/film.  I've slowed down because I've never bought a book I don't intend on reading and I've got to read more and buy less.  I'm not a completist in the sense that I have to have pristine 1st editions (though I have many and upgrade editions from time to time), though with authors I like I do try to get handsome, dust-jacketed copies of most, if not all, of their books.  Many are autographed like my first of Tarzan of the Apes.

I probably have 2 or 3 thousand comics, most from the sixties and seventies...lots of Marvel, Tarzan, Conan, etc.  I have a large and eclectic  record/cd collection that covers early rock (pre-British invasion), show, big band, standard vocalists, soundtracks.  Some three or four hundred movies and CD's, many with films I've taped off the tube.  I collect memorabilia and magazines having to do with me and my career.  I have most of my old school notebooks from high school and college.  Movie posters (most still folded because I don't have the wall space)  Oddities like an great early studio photo of John Barrymore from Svenagili,  autographed photos of stars I've worked with, an ashtray from my friend, the late Henry Wilcoxon (for his pipe, I use it for coins), a drawing Chuck Heston did of me during a rehearsal notes session.  I think the playbills and programs of almost every play I ever saw in my life.  Old playboys, Plays and Players, a run of Theatre Arts Magazine from the late forties to 1963 (for some reason I did not save my Theatre Weeks).  A small collection of pulps like Weird Tales that have stories by authors I collect,  two of a rare King King jigsaw puzzle that came out with the release of the original movie.  My wife and I have more mugs than we need, usually picking them up as souvenirs of unusual or memorable places we've visited...and I have various junk boxes with oddities like buttons, campaign stickers, and just other unusual finds that I pick up here and there but don't feverishly collect.  

The books are the biggest collecting bug I have and I would say it is far from a mania.  It's all very methodical.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2003, 11:03:40 AM »

[size=8]JB-NYC[/size]

How's it going?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2003, 11:14:01 AM »

To Toast our wants and wishes is her way;
Nor asks of God, but of her Stars to give
The mighty blessing, "while we live, to live."
Then all for Death, that Opiate of the soul!
Lucretia's dagger, Rosamonda's bowl.
Say, what can cause such impotence of mind?
A Spark too fickle, or a Sponse too kind.
Wise wretch! with Pleasures to refin'd to please;
With too  much Spirit to be e'er at ease;
With too much Quickness ever to be taught;
With too much thinking to have common Thought;
You purchase Pain with all that Joy can give,
And die of nothing but a Rage to live.

Epistle to a Lady by Alexander Pope
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 11:14:46 AM by JRand53 »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2003, 11:41:42 AM »

Sarah...she's so cute!!  How old is she?  What an adorable pic...

Tomovoz

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2003, 12:11:23 PM »

Two posts in an hour. Good Grief. And speaking of an hour - I caught up with "The Hours" on DVD last night. I thought the film very good indeed. I am not a Kidman fan but did like her performace - I still don't see the reason for the nose! I also thought the film belonged to Julianne Moore. Good to see Toni Collette choosing to take small roles in good film - much as Cate Blanchette. OZ is indeed providing some fine acting talent.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William E. Lurie

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2003, 12:13:11 PM »

Arnold --- 2 comments on your earlier note.  I too had that problem with Donald's latest show so I just manually went from track to track.  Also The Complete Lyrics of Frank Loesser will be out later this month and The Complete Lyrics of P G Wodehouse will be out in January.  Note that all subjects of these complete lyric books are deceased so they can be complete lyrics.  Since Sondheim is still alive and active if they did a book of his lyrics they would not be complete.  The Jerry Herman doesn't have "complete" in the title, so I suppose they could do the same with Sondheim.

I enjoyed TURANDOT at NYCO last night but for some reason there was a plain scrim all the way downstage that was never raised and it was like watching a Doris Day movie.  I don't know if the scrim was broken and couldn't go up or if it was a design choice.

Latest Pet Peeve: Why can't stores like The Gap sell sweatshirts that don't have the store name plastered all over the front.  They should pay me to wear their advertisement instead of trying to sell it to me.  I'll have to go to Sears or someplace like that in order to get a new plain sweatshirt and not be a walking advertisement.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2003, 12:18:42 PM »

Sarah...she's so cute!!  How old is she?  What an adorable pic...

Ann, you beat me to it.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2003, 12:26:32 PM »

I also collect, of course, memoribilia of Frances Farmer, Allison Hayes, and Carroll Baker...and have a lot of photos and ephemera of those three dames.

Oh, Jrand, are you familiar with Allison Hayes?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2003, 12:26:52 PM »

Ann: She's 6 years old. Isn't she adorable? *sigh* I'm so excited!

WEL: I completely agree about Gap. Unless you're spending big money on their normal clothes, everything has GAP written across the top. It's the same reason that a shirt from Abercrombie & Fitch costs $40, when you can get the SAME shirt elsewhere for $15, or why brand-name cars are thought of to be so much BETTER than others. The name. It's sad that most people are so easily sucked into that type of advertising.

I'm working from 4-10-ish tonight, so expect no posts from me until after then. My legs are going to HURT!
...Walk in the sunshine...

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2003, 12:51:13 PM »

I used to collect lots of things...Gumby items, 50s ceramics, salt and pepper shakers, movie memorablia...but since I moved into a very tiny house I have had to downsize considerably...now about the only things I collect are memorabilia pertaining to my favorite actors/actresses June Kenney, Allison Hayes, Joi Lansing, Ken Clark, Matt Battaglia, Cal Bolder and occasionally a few others. I also collect old paperback books from the 40s and 50s. I have a large amount of DVDs and CDs but I wouldn't say I was a collector of them, I just happen to buy a lot!!!

Speaking of buying things my cat Freddie was most generous this week and he bought a nifty reproduction 1950s telephone and reproduction 1950s alarm clock for me for my birthday and Christmas presents...wasn't that sweet of him! I always have the best pets!!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2003, 12:56:54 PM »

MBarnum: Could you get your cat to email my dogs and give them some advice etc on the art of shopping - birthday and Christmas imminent and I have seen no evidence of saving or spending!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2003, 01:07:27 PM »

TOPIC 'd JOUR

Good afternoon one and all.

I am very proud to say that I own the world's largest collection of antique, retro, modern, and probably some post-modern dust bunnies.  I usually keep the collection in my bedroom where it won't be disturbed by the opening of doors or windows.  There was talk of representatives of Guinness coming to authenticate my collection, but sadly all of their staff suffers from acute hay fever.  Ironically, few people have ever seen the actual collection, although I have certainly offered to take a great many of my dinner guests into the bedroom to show them everything.

I will post about more of my collections later, but I have to prepare myself for choreography rehearsal this afternoon.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2003, 01:12:11 PM »

Thank you for my biggest smile of the day TCB. How to you go about preparing yourself for such a rehearsal? Is it necessary to paint R & L on the appropriate feet?
James Thurber 1957

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2003, 01:12:34 PM »

Here's one of my favorite slogans from an early 20th century toilet tissue ad in The Saturday Evening Post:

GUARANTEED, NO SPLINTERS!!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dennis

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2003, 01:20:06 PM »

I have about 400 cast albums and some that are on LP.
Living in a 500 sq ft one bedroom apt with all of this isn't easy.  I moved here over 5 years ago and it is still in boxes.
I started collecting theatre programs in 1959.  I have just about every road company and every Playbill from every show I saw in New York in my collection.  I envy BK keeping his ticket to "Follies".  I didn't do that but I do have the program.
I have collected Theatre World over the years and finally have the complete collection of close to 60 years. When times get hard I toy with the idea of putting them on Ebay but I just can't part with them.
I also have 8X10's of various celebrities all of them autographed.  I have a picture and letter from Vivien Leigh.  I suspect she only signed the letter but hey...
I also have a letter from an actor by the name of Edmund Gaynes.  I had sent him a fan letter and he responded with a two or 3 page  letter. I believe in the 80's he was directing a few TV shows.
I also have a plethora of plays and theatre books.
One of these days I will have to clean house but until then.....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2003, 01:22:21 PM »

No, no, no (that is three nos) this will NOT do.  This will NOT do at all.  We simply cannot go from the highest heights to the lowest lowghts.  We must find a weekend middle ground, and actually we are even behind last Saturday's low numbers (or was it Sundays low numbers?) - in any case, time for some postin', say I.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2003, 01:22:50 PM »

Thank you for my biggest smile of the day TCB. How to you go about preparing yourself for such a rehearsal? Is it necessary to paint R & L on the appropriate feet?

Nope, it is just a matter of rounding-up a pair of tights previously worn by Mama Cass, and one of Orson Welles' old dance belts.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up