Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GIRDING MY LOINS  (Read 22773 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
GIRDING MY LOINS
« on: July 31, 2005, 12:05:41 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all about the end of July and the beginning of August, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will be directly after they gird their loins or, in their case, their tenderloins.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 12:05:35 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:GIRDING MY LOINS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 12:09:02 AM »

And the word of the day is: SCHMALTZ!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 12:21:53 AM »

The"Loin King" opened in Melbourne the other night.  I think Gird may have been one of the stars.

Don't know much about movie posters at all. Years ago (45!) I had my room decorated with movie posters.  My favourite then was for "The Time Machine".  I know I also had "And God Created Women" and "Woman Like Satan" posters too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 04:18:21 AM »

Good morning, all!  Today's another trip to Toyland; we're finishing up final edits on the few remaining pieces, and I believe we've still got March of the Toys and Act Two Finale to do a second edit on.  Since I lose my Dr Watson next Sunday, time is of the essence, whatever the hell that means.

I've got some Golden Apple on my desk, and I'm still in my housecleaning frenzy.

DRTomovoz, I too love the quartet in KISMET, and "The Donkey Serenade" is one of my favorite Wright-Forrest pieces as well.

I always thought the poster for ANATOMY OF A MURDER was striking, but I realize I haven't seen it in over 30 years.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 04:35:05 AM »

Have fun playing with your toys DR Elmore.
On of the first recordings I remember on 78rpm was Mr Jones singing Donkey Serenade.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 04:39:18 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!

My train leaves in two hours, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 04:41:36 AM »

As for movie posters, hmm...

It may not be my favorite, but the one that seems to come to mind right now is the one for "Jaws".

...And I believe I had a copy of the original "Star Wars" one hanging in my room when I was growing up.

...And that's all I can think of right now.  I was always more of a showcard person.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 04:45:55 AM »

Well, I must finish packing the "little stuff" I mentioned last night, get showered, then head on down to Penn Station.  It looks like it will be a very nice day for a scenic train ride.  I just hope there's some nice scenery on the route from Penn Station to Albany.  -I'm being picked up in Albany and then whisked off east to Williamstown.

I'll be staying on the campus of Williams College, I believe, so I'll have cell phone and wireless internet service too!  However, I guess I'll find out just how much time I'll have to take advantage of those amenities once I get up there.  It's a workshop!

So, I'll be here:

http://www.wtfestival.org

for the next few weeks, and I shall be back in the City on August 21.

So, until Williamstown...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 04:50:28 AM »

Have a great time DR Jose.  Hope it all goes very well indeed. Watch out for Dolly, Cornelius and Barnaby as you go through Yonkers.
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 05:37:33 AM »

Thanks for a lot of pictures!

Dear BK, nice photos form the birthday party. The party seemed to have been in a very sociable atmosphere.

DR JOSE, lovely photos from the Big Apple. I’ll try to do your “the self-timer and no-flash mode” technique someday.  It looks effective. :)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 05:38:24 AM »

DR FJL. One of my dreams is to spend my birthday at Disney World and spend a beautiful day with tons of fantasies.  You’re a Happy man!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 05:55:07 AM »

DR MATTH’s post about Hitchcock documentaries from yesterday reminded me  about a great old book written by Francois Truffaut who had adored Hitchcock overwhelmingly. He analyzes thoroughly every Hitchcock films with Hitchcock himself in it.  When I bought the book, about fifteen years ago, I was absorbed in reading it. I watched a film, which I just read about in it, for comparing the analysis with the part of the film itself, day after day.  It’s so delightful!    I’ll reread a little bit of it tonight.   Le Cinema Selon Alfred Hitchcock is the title of the book.

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 05:58:26 AM »

Uggggh!!!!!!!!!  I am very unhappy with who won the veto competition on Big Brother 6 (I won't reveal it for those who like to be surprised).

:(

Btw, very interesting scene on the show last night.  What did you guys think of what happened with Maggie and James?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 05:59:17 AM »

Today will be our last Sunday to meet in a school library. I surely hope the church gets finished this week!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 05:59:36 AM »

Hisaka, do you have any flowers blooming in your garden now?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005, 06:03:34 AM »

DR BK:

What would you do to improve the Court Shows?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2005, 06:14:44 AM »

I think one of my favorite posters is The Poseidon Adventure (The original vesion. I never thought I'd say that!)

Although I was disappointed that this scene didn't actually happen in the film.

It was also fun to identify where the photos of the cast are taken from in the course of the film.

They just don't make movie posters like that or have photos of the "all-star" cast anymore. With the salaries and other considerations you'd never get today actors today to do a film like this. There personas won't allow it. Can you imagine Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson or a Julia Roberts in this film. It would never work.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2005, 06:20:29 AM »

Here is photo of the "all-star" cast minus Eric Shea (whatever happened to him?) and Leslie Neilsen

There were six Oscar and one Tony Award winning actors in the cast. Try and get the equivalent of those today.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2005, 06:27:05 AM »

This is poster for the Wolfgang Petersen version,

[BORING!!!]

« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 06:28:17 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2005, 07:35:04 AM »

When I re-watched THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE a few months ago, I was shocked to be reminded that Roddy McDowall was in it. I had totally forgotten about his character. Seeing him in that picture reminded me how surprised I was that he was in the film with a nice-sized part, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2005, 07:38:46 AM »

DR MATTH’s post about Hitchcock documentaries from yesterday reminded me  about a great old book written by Francois Truffaut who had adored Hitchcock overwhelmingly. He analyzes thoroughly every Hitchcock films with Hitchcock himself in it.  When I bought the book, about fifteen years ago, I was absorbed in reading it. I watched a film, which I just read about in it, for comparing the analysis with the part of the film itself, day after day.  It’s so delightful!    I’ll reread a little bit of it tonight.   Le Cinema Selon Alfred Hitchcock is the title of the book.

I have that book and love it. Quite fascinating reading and for a Hitchcock fan, absolutely essential.

If I had any objection with the book at all, it was Hitchcock's non-confrontational demeanor with Truffaut. When Hitch gauges that Truffaut didn't like a particular film (can't remember the ones now; possibly THE PARADINE CASE or TORN CURTAIN) rather than defend his work or the films or explain what went wrong, he just passes over them quickly.

I don't think he was intimidated by Truffaut as much as that he simply didn't like to argue or makes scenes.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2005, 07:40:39 AM »

WEST SIDE STORY definitely is  my favorite movie poster. I think I mentioned here before that I had an artist friend in high school paint me a copy of that poster which I had in my bedroom in my folks' home for many years.

I also loved the hot pink movie poster for MY FAIR LADY.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2005, 07:44:15 AM »

I started THE WOMAN IN RED for a few minutes last night before getting involved in THE MERRY WIDOW, and the MGM transfer wasn't sterling.

It IS an anamorphic copy of the film (there's a full frame version on the flip side), but the color looks dated, and I'm wondering if it was taken from an old video master. Didn't look particularly sharp, and the color was definitely not vibrant at all.

Anyway, I'll get around to finishing it today.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2005, 07:45:54 AM »

I'd also like to see THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW so I can erase it from the DVR, too. Not being a fan of the director (neither INDEPENDENCE DAY nor GODZILLA are favorites of mine though they are certainly good reference audio discs to show off surround sound), I'm probably not going to love it, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2005, 07:50:34 AM »

Here is photo of the "all-star" cast minus Eric Shea (whatever happened to him?) and Leslie Neilsen

There were six Oscar and one Tony Award winning actors in the cast. Try and get the equivalent of those today.

Not to mention four Emmy winners as well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 07:53:25 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2005, 08:11:57 AM »

And I'm thinking THE RAINMAKER for the next DVD if there is time today. Can't get too far into tonight's viewing since tonight is the penultimate episode of QUEER AS FOLK which cannot be missed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2005, 08:16:51 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, even though I wanted to sleep in a bit more.

"The same rage?????"  What kind of stupid ad line is that?  So, the ocean is the villain, huh?  Got to have a villain along with your three acts, your journey, your arc, and your backstory.

I'm surprised by those who have said they don't know from movie posters.  They are the principal tool used to sell movies, and some of them are so iconic that they're almost as well-known as the films.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2005, 08:18:22 AM »

What would I do to fix the Courts show?  Move it back to the Garland, or find a way to have more dealers rooms.  When the book fair was at the Burbank Hilton they had many many dealers rooms that weren't on the main floor.  You simply walked through the lobby to get to them.  So, if they stay at the hotel, I'd at least do that and encourage the dealers to come back.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2005, 08:54:30 AM »

Somebody say something, for heaven's sake.

SCHMALTZ, baby, SCHMALTZ!

We've only had three answers to our trivia question, all correct.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2005, 08:55:29 AM »

Why is everyone just sitting there like so much fish?  I've already written three count them three pages of the short story, and I am feeling my oats this fine morning.  I love to feel my oats, and my oats are very appreciative.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up