Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M DANCING AS FAST AS I CAN  (Read 37604 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I'M DANCING AS FAST AS I CAN
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2005, 07:17:15 AM »

DR Jrand - For butterscotch whipped cream, you simply sweeten regular whipped cream with brown sugar instead of the standard granular white stuff.  And add a dash of Butter Flavored Extract - yes, they do make such a thing, just your baking aisle - in place of vanilla.  I forget the exact proportion of sugar to cream, but simply replace the amount of white sugar with brown sugar.  And like in standard whipped cream recipes, don't start adding the sugar until the cream has started to thicken up a bit.  And be sure to break up the brown sugar as much as you can to avoid lumps.  -Although, I guess you could use that "brownulated" stuff that Domino makes.  Hmm...

...Unless Cool Whip has come out with another flavor...

*You can also use pulverized Butterscotch Candy Discs - just put them in a blender or food processor - or a ziploc bag and give them a couple of good whacks with a rolling pin.

**That's how I like to do Peppermint Whipped Cream, in fact.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2005, 07:20:46 AM »

Question for Ask BK Day -

Has there ever been an artist that you've encountered - either just as an audience member or in the recording studio - who "records" differently than they sound live?

This may be a moot point with today's recording technology, but was there anyone who "surprised" you live vs. on record, or vice versa?
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2005, 07:23:01 AM »

DR Jrand - For butterscotch whipped cream, you simply sweeten regular whipped cream with brown sugar instead of the standard granular white stuff.  And add a dash of Butter Flavored Extract - yes, they do make such a thing, just your baking aisle - in place of vanilla.  I forget the exact proportion of sugar to cream, but simply replace the amount of white sugar with brown sugar.  And like in standard whipped cream recipes, don't start adding the sugar until the cream has started to thicken up a bit.  And be sure to break up the brown sugar as much as you can to avoid lumps.  -Although, I guess you could use that "brownulated" stuff that Domino makes.  Hmm...

...Unless Cool Whip has come out with another flavor...

*You can also use pulverized Butterscotch Candy Discs - just put them in a blender or food processor - or a ziploc bag and give them a couple of good whacks with a rolling pin.

**That's how I like to do Peppermint Whipped Cream, in fact.

You can make whipped cream?  How do you get it in the can?  ;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2005, 07:23:17 AM »

And on a related note...

This has happened to me a few times...and I mainly happens during animated features...

Was their a "voice talent" who's voice was so manipulated for a project that you didn't recognize it at all?

I swear some of the filtering and crap they do to some "stars" voices today for some animated features makes them unknown to me.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2005, 07:23:59 AM »

Very carefully.  Very, very carefully.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2005, 07:24:39 AM »

Response #2:

Practice.  Lots and lots of practice.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2005, 07:25:48 AM »

Response #3:

If I told you, I'd have to kill you.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2005, 07:26:51 AM »

And now I must take out my yoga mat in order to get my lower back back into some semblance of alignment...

I'm going to bring my laptop to rehearsal with me, and I should be able to post from The Log (the rehearsal hall).

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2005, 07:28:13 AM »

and since we're talking butterscotch...

Butterscotch Cheesecake
Vanilla Cookie Crust

12 vanilla sandwich cream cookies, crushed
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

In a small bowl stir together crushed cookies and melted butter or margarine until well combined. Press crumb mixture evenly onto the bottom of a greased 9-inch springform pan.

Butterscotch Filling

24 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
5 teaspoons cornstarch
3 eggs
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup butterscotch schnapps
1/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a large bowl combine cream cheese, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in butterscotch schnapps, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the crust.

Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 200° and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the center no longer looks wet or shiny. Remove the cake from the oven and run a knife around the inside edge of the pan. Turn the oven off. Return the cake to the oven for an additional hour. Chill, uncovered, overnight.

Butterscotch Whipped Cream Topping

1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon butterscotch schnapps
1/2 cup coarsely crushed butterscotch candies

In a small bowl beat whipping cream, brown sugar, and schnapps with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Pipe whipped cream mixture around the edge of the cheesecake. Sprinkle with butterscotch candies. Chill until serving time. Makes 12 to 18 slices.

http://www.poetryandcheesecake.com/Cheesecake/cheese.html

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2005, 07:46:40 AM »

Back on for a second. I got the den cleaned. Packing is still staring me in the face. I don't want to do that for awhile.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2005, 07:50:14 AM »

I have been arranging things like magazines and books to put in my tote to carry on the plane. Otherwise, I have noi idea what clothes will be coming with me.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2005, 07:50:48 AM »

Thank you everyone for your congratulations and well wishes.  I did indeed accept the position and will begin as an official employee sometime in the next 1-2 weeks.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2005, 07:59:59 AM »

DR MattH, no spoilers here.  But re: the Forgotten, I just watched it a couple of days ago.  The ending left me less than satisfied.  So while I enjoyed most of the movie, I just prefer these movies with twists (like Sixth Sense) to really be well thought out and to make sense.

Btw, watch the alternate ending if you can.  They basically have the theatrical version and an uncut version (with deleted scenes and the alternate ending).  I ff'ed thru #2 and only noticed one additional scene.  But the last 20 minutes are quite different.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 08:06:02 AM by Jennifer »

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2005, 08:05:59 AM »

At work...catching up on posts..

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2005, 08:07:28 AM »

Btw, looking at this friday's episode of Veronica Mars on CBS. It is episode #12.  I will tape it, since I need to watch episode #11 first (which is on here on CTV on Sunday).

The episode they showed last week was #10.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2005, 08:08:16 AM »

DR Jennifer, I got THE FORGOTTEN off STARZ! movie channel, so it'll be the theatrical version or nothing. Thanks for the warning. Several other friends who saw it at the theater were less than satisfied, too, but I wanted to see for myself.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2005, 08:08:20 AM »

So, Dear Friend BK, when's the next live chat?  

Given the overwhelming silence that greeted my query as to which day and time would be good for everyone, I thought no one was interested.  Unless people are simply skipping the notes and missed that query.

I can't do it this evening, but tomorrow or Friday would work just fine.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2005, 08:09:02 AM »

Yep, I have the DVR set up to catch CBS' VERONICA episode on Friday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2005, 08:10:07 AM »

My first question for ASK BK day:

What is your favorite song from PIPPIN?  And if it is Magic to Do, what is your SECOND favorite song from PIPPIN?

I like On the Right Track, With You, and Corner of the Sky.  And I really like the music for Ordinary Kind of Woman.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2005, 08:10:43 AM »

I just ordered William Mann's biography on director John Schlesinger, but it won't arrive until next week. Has anyone read it already and has any thoughts to convey?

I loved his books on William Haines and behind the scenes in Hollywood, so I'm looking forward to this.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2005, 08:11:56 AM »

Last night, bk wrote:  "MattH, as you've read here, I have three of the four Fox releases for next week.  The only one I haven't got is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."

BK, I do read the notes every day, but I can only remember your discussing THE MAN IN THE GREY FLANNEL SUIT. Has my senile brain forgotten thoughts about CHARLOTTE and CHICAGO?

I only mentioned that I'd gotten them - I always seem to get the Fox titles two or three weeks early.  Am in the middle of Charlotte (the film, not the State), and then will watch In Old Chicago.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2005, 08:11:58 AM »

Given the overwhelming silence that greeted my query as to which day and time would be good for everyone, I thought no one was interested.  Unless people are simply skipping the notes and missed that query.

I did mean to comment, but I got sidetracked on other things. I'm out of town until Sunday afternoon, so I can't particpate regardless.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2005, 08:15:09 AM »

Question for Ask BK Day -

Has there ever been an artist that you've encountered - either just as an audience member or in the recording studio - who "records" differently than they sound live?

This may be a moot point with today's recording technology, but was there anyone who "surprised" you live vs. on record, or vice versa?

Well, the trick is to make them sound in the studio like they sound live, but make it work for the studio, if that makes any sense.  It's a different mindset for the singer, and most can adapt to it right away.  I will say that Cheneweth's Lion Tamer is sung in a completely open and honest way, in a voice I've never really heard from her since.  I wish she'd do a whole album singing the way she did on that track.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2005, 08:17:38 AM »

Thank you everyone for your congratulations and well wishes.  I did indeed accept the position and will begin as an official employee sometime in the next 1-2 weeks.

DRTPunk, fantastic news!  Maybe I'll start giving them money again.  After their "gala" of my Cole porter show, JUBILEE, I vowed to never go near the Gay Men's Health Crisis again.  Herb Ross is a pig, may he rot in hell, and the GMHC folk drove me crazy by their bad casting (with the late great Mr Ross, ptui!)

All right, I've bought this Liquid Paper Dryline Grip; it's pretty good, since there's no paper strip, but it's bad because it doesn't want to work with anything but a ballpoint pen, and I'm using indelible ink and felt pens.  But it's a great solution for the most part.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2005, 08:19:31 AM »

I would be out because of GOLDEN APPLE chores until next week; I was just hoping it would startup again.  Perhaps after Labor Day?  If not sooner.

What did I do?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 08:25:22 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2005, 08:20:44 AM »

I just ordered William Mann's biography on director John Schlesinger, but it won't arrive until next week. Has anyone read it already and has any thoughts to convey?

I loved his books on William Haines and behind the scenes in Hollywood, so I'm looking forward to this.

I bought it from Amazon.uk around three months ago; it's very good.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2005, 08:24:10 AM »

Well, the trick is to make them sound in the studio like they sound live, but make it work for the studio, if that makes any sense.  It's a different mindset for the singer, and most can adapt to it right away.  I will say that Cheneweth's Lion Tamer is sung in a completely open and honest way, in a voice I've never really heard from her since.  I wish she'd do a whole album singing the way she did on that track.

She's heading toward becoming the next caricature voice, like Channing, for the millenium.

vixmom

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2005, 08:26:22 AM »

HOO  and RAY for TPunk!!

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2005, 08:32:42 AM »

DR Jennifer, I got THE FORGOTTEN off STARZ! movie channel, so it'll be the theatrical version or nothing. Thanks for the warning. Several other friends who saw it at the theater were less than satisfied, too, but I wanted to see for myself.

If you want after you watch it I can tell you the alternate ending (with spoiler space).  And the one deleted scene i noticed made a very distinct impact.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up