Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RED-LETTER DAY  (Read 24808 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:RED-LETTER DAY
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2005, 02:51:43 AM »

And one for Mahler!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 02:52:04 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2005, 02:52:23 AM »

WHY AM I STILL AWAKE????  Well, on that note (Q diminished ;)), I'm off to bed for (practically) a short nap.  I still have to get up at my regular time.  Goodnight Tomovoz.  I'm glad the booklet worked (for the most part). :D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 02:54:34 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2005, 04:22:44 AM »

Good morning DR Ben.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2005, 04:44:32 AM »

Hello, Tom!

Oh, my. 32 posts at 7:38am NYC time. MY fulcrum is out of whack seeing so many posts so early.

I, too, hate to shop for clothing. It's difficult to shop when you are of small stature and most everything is too big. There was a small mens shop here in NY in the early 80s but it's gone now. There are some on-line stores featuring clothing for smaller men. There is also a place in Ohio though I can't remember where. I get their catalogue in the mail quarterly. The hardest thing to buy for me is shoes. I have small feet (size 6) and finding decent shoes is a chore so if I find a pair I usually resole and re-heel them until they fall apart.

This has nothing to do with style, etc. but just thought I would share.

Ben

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2005, 04:45:09 AM »

I took so long to answer that post that Tom went to sleep.

He will see it later today (tomorrow in Australia time).

FJL

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2005, 05:13:17 AM »

I don't know anything about proper clothing, but since "red-letter day" brought up THE SCARLET LETTER, I do have a mildly cute SCARLET LETTER story, although it may be too early in the day for some people to read it.  :)

Back in spring of 2003, RADIANT BABY and F***ING A, a play based on SCARLET LETTER, were playing at the Public.  Heading toward RADIANT BABY, the freshly scrubbed, wholesome ushers were announcing "RADIANT BABY is to your right, bathrooms for RADIANT BABY are to the rear, etc." and that was nice enough.

But when I wnet further into the lobby, similarly freshly-scrubbed, wholesome ushers were sweetly announcing, as if they were the most natural words in the world, "Elevators for F***ING A are to your left, bathrooms for F***ING A are in the back, if you're picking up F***ING A tickets, just follow the sign."

Maybe you hadda be there, but it's one of my fondest Public Theater memories.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2005, 06:00:25 AM »

TOD:

Worst Fashion Trend:  Vellore, in the late 70s, early 80s.  There was way too much of it and it was all mostly in those drab earth tones.   Also, wearing jeans with the top button undone and anything in the International Male catalog (fun to look at, but who in their right mind would wear any of that stuff?)

Best:  the resurgence of natural fabrics in the 80s.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2005, 06:09:02 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up.... Hmmm...

Apparently, the lounge at the end of my hallway - a very short hallway - is the designated gathering place for post-show, post-rehearsal gatherings.  And since there was something on both mainstages and a workshop, there were quite a few people in there last night.  Talking.  Loudly.  Smoking.  Which is illegal on the Williams Campus.  At 2:00am I could deal with it - heck, I was still up.  But come 3:00am...  Hmm... I may have to check in with Company Management this morning...

But I'm up...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2005, 06:12:24 AM »

As for fashion trends...

I tend to try to wear the new "in" colors and patterns.  Most of the time, they simply don't work with/on/for me.

And speaking of colors, I've never liked that green variation - some seasons it's called "lime", some seasons it's called "chartreuse"... I think it's called "celery" this year.  And I've seen very few people - mainly women - who actually look good in that color.  Very hard to pull off.

And I'm hoping that "cantaloupe" for men fades away soon.  I saw a couple of shirts in that shade at Brooks Brothers and Talbot's for Men...  Hmmm...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 06:13:01 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2005, 06:12:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: FULCRUM!
Try as we might, we could only get a part of the leverage we needed, because we only had a half-fulcrum.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2005, 06:14:21 AM »

And now I must finish dressing and head out for the day...  Oh!  and it's pay day today too!

...And I think I'm going to fast today.  Just feel I need to right now.  We'll see...

-Boy, was that random!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2005, 06:15:42 AM »

My sentiments, exactly!  I rarely shop for clothes.  I actually wore the same shirt two of the three times that I went to the Portland, Oregon HHW Get Togethers (a year apart, though).
This habit would make you easier to recognize in a crowd.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2005, 06:39:45 AM »

...Worst Fashion Trend:...anything in the International Male catalog (fun to look at, but who in their right mind would wear any of that stuff?)
A friend of mine (back in my softball days) dragged me into their store once.  A saleswoman (yes, female in the gender department) followed me around, insisting that I sample some fragrance she was touting.  No amount of growling on my part could shake her off.  I swear, she would have followed me out of the store into the parking lot if she could.

I do not like artificial fragrances, not on women and most particularly on men.  Bleh.   :P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2005, 06:41:10 AM »

[size=20]LOL, FJL![/size]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2005, 06:48:42 AM »

I fully understand what Ben is saying, when he talks about how hard it is to find clothes made for the small of stature.  Being tall, as I am, I'm faced with a similar problem, that many stores just don't carry pants in my size.  

Shirts, on the other hand, are much easier to shop for.  Even there, I'm fairly conservative in my tastes; it's easier for me to justify the expense if I'm going to wear the shirt for several years.  (This rule has been breached since I retired, however, with the inclusion of Hawaiian-style shirts, much brighter than anything I'd been wearing before, if still relatively sedate for the style.)

I have never worn shoulder-pads.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2005, 06:58:04 AM »

THE DUCK FOLLIES

Today we will find out just how large a duck I'll be cooking.  This will have a huge bearing on how long I'll have to roast it.  It amazes me, however, how many of the recipes just call for the bird to be roasted until the skin is golden and crispy...what kind of nonsense is that?  I want to make sure the meat inside is medium-rare (over-cooked duck is the pits), but no one is telling me what the inside temperature should be!

Serves me right, I guess, to be reading cookbooks that were written before Poldar came out with their remote thermometers.

I've pretty well decided upon the right sides to serve with the duck.  Wild rice should do nicely, I think, as should roasted beets.  Der B loves beets, and the red will make a nice color contrast with the orange sauce.

(Of course, if I were using blood oranges for the sauce the plate would be very monochrome, but I don't think they're in season.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2005, 07:00:22 AM »

Today is National Chocolate Chip Day!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2005, 07:18:44 AM »

It's difficult to shop when you are of small stature and most everything is too big. There was a small mens shop here in NY in the early 80s but it's gone now.

I have small feet (size 6) ....

Might this have been the Cadet Shop on Hudson Street?  I recall buying a couple of sweaters there at one point.

And might I say you are a brave man to admit your shoe size in this crowd.   ;)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2005, 07:19:57 AM »

TOD:

Two words:  Double knit.

'Nuff said.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2005, 07:24:20 AM »

I do not like artificial fragrances, not on women and most particularly on men.  Bleh.   :P

I don't mind colongnes on women or men, but I don't like unisex fragrances, like the kind Calvin Klein has been pushing for the past ten years or so.  I like my women to smell like women and my men smelling like men.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2005, 07:39:21 AM »

Twenty years together, and I'm still learning things about der B.

Last week, he let slip that he'd taken violin lessons when he was a sprig of a twig.  I'd never known about that before.  He swore he'd told me at some time, of course.

Yesterday, he chided me for playing some of Pajama Game on the DVD player the night before.  Turns out, he'd been in the chorus of a production once, and was one of the boys that did "Steam Heat."  That, and he got to tango during "Hernando's Hideaway" and polka during "Once-a-Year Day".

I'm still having trouble thinking of him as a dancer.  They must have been desperate.   :-\

Jason

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2005, 07:42:20 AM »

I've never been a slave to fashion, though I have found myself far more aware of my clothing since I moved to New York. It's hard to be in this business and NOT get caught up in wearing the latest styles - you're sort of expected to if you want to stay in the game.

My look is a very classic one: shabby chic.  It never goes out of style. :)

I do remember in the mid-90's when everyone was wearing ponchos. I had one. They were hideously ugly things now that I look back on them, but I thought I was the bee's knees wearing that thing. And Hypothermic shirts that would change colors when you got hot. I thought those were neat, too, until I got one and realized that my armpits were ALWAYS a different color than the rest of me. And then there were the silk shirts that clung to every lump and bump on your body.

And who can forget Swatch watches (with multiple Swatch Guards [the more you wore, the cooler you were]), K-Swiss shoes, "Chucks," "Bucks," "Docs" and color block shirts. God, I hated the 90's!

Ben

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2005, 07:45:16 AM »

Stuart said (or asked, actually):

Might this have been the Cadet Shop on Hudson Street?

Oh, my, yes! That was the place. With all the small statured gay boys running around the Village then I'm surprised it didn't stay in business longer.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2005, 08:15:30 AM »

DR Ben, why don't you just shop for clothes and shoes at department stores in the teen sizes.  I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to get nice shoes or clothes that would actually fit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2005, 08:24:14 AM »

I was waiting patiently for someone to mention double knits, which I, I'm ashamed to say, wore for a time (it was hard to find slacks that WEREN'T double knits).  And velour was awful.  So were Nehru jackets.  And most of the "hippie" fashions.  But, the worst fashion ever is right here, right now - rappers, teens in baggy shorts hanging so low that the crotch of the shorts sits on their knees, knit caps, that whole awful look for guys - and then there are the girls with the low jeans (going out of style), the thongs (going out of style), and the whole slut look (thanks to charming young people like Britney and their "handlers").

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2005, 08:29:26 AM »

TOD: I do remember at one point in time, owning several pairs of stirrup pants in a rainbow of colors.  I did the double pair of socks thing, matching my socks to my outfit of course.  I also owned a pair of LA Gears... ah the 80's.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2005, 08:31:19 AM »

DR VIXMOM; belated welcome back! The site is more gay with you. :D  

Announcing my return and beating TCB to the punch in one post (no mean feat), may I ask:  could this site be any more gay?  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2005, 08:35:40 AM »

I have always been very simple in my clothing tastes.  Of course, I have not been immune to fashion trends over the years.  I still remember during the 90's when I thought that black stretch pants and big t-shirts were the coolest things on the block.  Then I went through a brief overall phase during early college years.  Ugh...glad that one passed.  These days I stick to jeans and simple shirts for the most part.  There are some fashion trends I would love to get into, but I just can't seem to do it.  For example, the peasant/bohemian shirt styles that have been all the rage this summer.  I love the look of them, and have been trying since Memorial day to find one that suits me...but to no avail.  I just can't pull off the look.  They flatter my body type just fine, just not my personality.  Ah well...  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2005, 08:35:44 AM »

Not to mention avoiding being bitch-slapped from here to eternity and hell and back, you whippersnapper.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2005, 08:38:01 AM »

And what's with the new underpants trend of what they call "boy shorts" which, to me, are as ugly as anything?  I've never seen boys underpants look like these "boy shorts".  Why can't they just go back to nice classic bikini-style underpants for women, the kind you can still get from Calvin Klein or Hanes Her Way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up