Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RED-LETTER DAY  (Read 24803 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:RED-LETTER DAY
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2005, 08:38:32 AM »

Damn them, damn them all to hell.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2005, 08:39:21 AM »

DR Ben, why don't you just shop for clothes and shoes at department stores in the teen sizes.  I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to get nice shoes or clothes that would actually fit.
I'm trying to imagine DR Ben running around in short-shorts and tops with his navel showing.

It don't work.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2005, 08:40:42 AM »

Looks like Amazing Race 8 came to Canada:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=3643

Jason

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2005, 08:40:49 AM »

TOD: I do remember at one point in time, owning several pairs of stirrup pants in a rainbow of colors.  I did the double pair of socks thing, matching my socks to my outfit of course.  I also owned a pair of LA Gears... ah the 80's.

Were your stirrups and socks in fluorescent colors? Did you wear more than one fluorescent t-shirt at a time for maximum color saturation? Did you have friendship bracelets? More importantly, did you make friendship bracelets, cause anyone who was anyone made friendship bracelets.

And how many Simpsons and Batman t-shirts did you own?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2005, 08:40:52 AM »

Time to go to work!  Have fun with the chocolate chips!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2005, 08:44:03 AM »

Oh god, I'd forgotten about the stirrup pants...*shudder*  What were we thinking??

I never could get the hang of friendship bracelets, but I did enjoy Snap Braclets....anyone remember those?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 08:45:14 AM by Ann »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2005, 08:48:34 AM »

Announcing my return and beating TCB to the punch in one post (no mean feat), may I ask:  could this site be any more gay?  ;)

LOL--is that a challenge?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2005, 08:48:56 AM »

Announcing my return and beating TCB to the punch in one post (no mean feat), may I ask:  could this site be any more gay?  ;)

For some reason, I had been holding my tongue on DR Hisaka's comment. It seemed like just a way-too-easy target.

We love you, DR Hisaka, but the word "gay" has far too many definitions around these here parts.  Though just the other day someone (it might have been errant DR/DB Jay) mentioned to me that they wished they could use the word in its original meaning, just has DR Hisaka has.

BTW (By the way, in internet lingo), nice new avatar, DR Cillaliz.

Jason

« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2005, 08:49:27 AM »

The friendship bracelets were EASY! The trick was to safety pin them to your jeans so you could keep both hands free for braiding.

As DR JMK said, could this site get more gay??

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2005, 08:50:14 AM »

And what's with the new underpants trend of what they call "boy shorts" which, to me, are as ugly as anything?  I've never seen boys underpants look like these "boy shorts".  Why can't they just go back to nice classic bikini-style underpants for women, the kind you can still get from Calvin Klein or Hanes Her Way.
I like the boy shorts!  So does Rodzinski... or is that too much information??

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2005, 08:54:13 AM »

Were your stirrups and socks in fluorescent colors? Did you wear more than one fluorescent t-shirt at a time for maximum color saturation? Did you have friendship bracelets? More importantly, did you make friendship bracelets, cause anyone who was anyone made friendship bracelets.

And how many Simpsons and Batman t-shirts did you own?

Why yes, I did own a number of flourescent items of clothing.  And I'd forgotten about the double t-shirts.  You had to layer them and then roll up the sleeves so that the second color would show.  These two colors also had to match my double socks.  I also think I had shirts that had the second shirt sewn in with the cuffs sewn in as well.

And yes, I made friendship bracelets- in many colors and patterns.  And I safety pinned them to my pants while I was making them.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2005, 08:55:38 AM »

Ann, I had snap bracelets.  They were eventually banned from my school because supposedly the metal inside could wear through and cut your wrist.  Urban legend or true life?

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2005, 08:56:53 AM »

Why do I feel like this has turned into true confession day for me?  I had forgotten about many of these embarrassing trends.

Note to self, burn all photos from middle school and early high school years.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2005, 08:57:06 AM »

DR Ben, why don't you just shop for clothes and shoes at department stores in the teen sizes.  I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to get nice shoes or clothes that would actually fit.

If I might answer for DR Ben, and expound upon what DR SWW implied, the idea of shopping in the male equivalent of a junior's department doesn't really work.  The sizing might be right, but the style would be all wrong.  Just try to find a pair of Bass Weejuns, or (at that time) Levi's 501s, or any of the other preppy/clone gear that was popular back when the Cadet Shop was open, in one of those "Young Men's" departments, and you would see what I mean.  This shop to which DR Ben and I refer meant that a more mature man could buy clothes that were age appropriate, but just in smaller, harder-to-find sizes.  Granted, I was all of maybe 18 - 22 when I was shopping in there, but I did always like older, preppy men....  ;)

Jason

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2005, 08:57:09 AM »

These shirts were "cool," but not for us sweaty kids...

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2005, 08:57:53 AM »

I like the boy shorts!  So does Rodzinski... or is that too much information??

Way.

;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2005, 08:58:17 AM »

How about leg warmers. Mine were rainbow colored. I never really liked the peasant shirts, although I wore them. I thought they made every woman look pregnant
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 09:01:40 AM by Cillaliz »

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2005, 08:58:33 AM »

Jason, I had the one in the center of the photo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2005, 08:59:03 AM »

I, too, love the word "gay" in its original meaning.  

Jason

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2005, 09:03:08 AM »

Ah yes, the rolled up double t-shirt. I remember those days. I also tight-rolled my jeans.

There was a period of about 9 months that I was on the prowl for a bomber jacket. I don't think I ever got one. Not while they were still in style, anyway.

Another trend that I went for which makes me absolutly shudder now was the colored bands on my braces. I had blue braces, red braces, purple braces and yes - even green ones. My orthodontist would even color coordinate for the holidays, alternating red and green for Christmas and pastels for Easter. Orange and black for Halloween. Well, you get the idea. The green bands sort of made me look moss-mouthed. Not attractive.

Now I realize why I never smiled in any pictures taken during middle and high school.

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2005, 09:04:26 AM »

I, too, love the word "gay" in its original meaning.  

As in don we now our gay apparel?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2005, 09:05:40 AM »

These two colors also had to match my double socks.  

DR TPunk, I too always match my socks to various items of apparel I am wearing.  I used to be MUCH more obsessive about it.  To the point that a former boyfriend broke up with me because I wore pink socks with penny loafers, grey pants (anyone else remember Reminiscence?  When it was off Washington Square Park?) and a pink shirt.

My proudest moments include peach socks, peach shirt (or perhaps this is now called "cantaloupe" as DR Jose mentioned last night), peach and green striped bow-tie AND a peach yarmulke to a Friday night service.  OK, it was at the Gay Synagogue, but still....  (And yes, I wore pants, too....)

Another was finding a pair of argyle socks that precisely matched an argyle sweater of mine.  Also Pink and black tweed socks that matched another sweater of mine.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 09:07:29 AM by Stuart »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2005, 09:06:40 AM »

Our hearts were young and gay.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2005, 09:08:06 AM »

DR TPunk, I too always match my socks to various items of apparel I am wearing.  I used to be MUCH more obsessive about it.  To the point that a former boyfriend broke up with me because I wore pink socks with penny loafers, grey pants (anyone else remember Reminiscence?  When it was off Washington Square Park?) and a pink shirt.

My proudest moments include peach socks, peach shirt (or perhaps this is now called "cantaloupe" as DR Jose mentioned last night), peach and green striped bow-tie AND a peach yarmulke to a Friday night service.  OK, it was at the Gay Synagogue, but still....  (And yes, I wore pants, too....)

Another was finding a pair of argyle socks that precisely matched an argyle sweater of mine.  Also Pink and black tweed socks that matched another sweater of mine.

That's a lot of pink, Stuart... a LOT of pink.  ;)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2005, 09:13:07 AM »

That's a lot of pink, Stuart... a LOT of pink.  ;)

They were summer outfits.  They offset my tan.   ;)  (This was before I realized that blue set off my eyes better!)

Besides, I was never one of those New Yorkers who wore only black.

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2005, 09:18:51 AM »

Better get back to the seminar. I'm a co-chair of the committe that organizes the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers continuing legal education national seminars. I'm in the learning phase this year, so I can coast a little. They sent me on an internet errand, so I had to play here a little. Next year I will be in charge of the meetings in Miami, Boston, San Diego and Cincinnati, so I better go back and pay attention for a little while.

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2005, 09:27:01 AM »

Next year I will be in charge of the meetings in Miami, Boston, San Diego and Cincinnati, so I better go back and pay attention for a little while.

Cincinnati!!!  I'll organize a HHW gathering around your visit, DR Cillaliz.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2005, 09:27:25 AM »

I spent the latter half of the 70's, and all of the 80's and 90's in business suits.

But ah those  1970's bellbottom jeans... those I loved... back when I was a slim young thing with long blonde hair hanging  down to my  size 3 bottom, nothing was better than a pair of tight jeans with big bells so you could wear 5 inch heels and your legs looked like they went on forever...

these days , since the loss of my dear, lamented and sorely missed  thyroid I am hoping for a resurrgence of this style:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 09:28:31 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2005, 09:33:24 AM »

I am going to Smart & Final to shop for bathroom fixtures (a Forever Plaid reference).

Still no word from "Charlie," who isn't answering his phone today and whose work is holding up our inspection.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2005, 09:33:44 AM »

I spent the latter half of the 70's, and all of the 80's and 90's in business suits.

So did I, DR vixmom, at least until 1985, when I transitioned to maternity clothes.  After Rob was born, I was a stay-at-home mom for several years, so never went back to the John Molloy Dress for Success suits, button-down shirts, and little bow ties (which I still have - WHY?).  I'm thankful that, by the time I reentered the workforce, business casual had been invented.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up