Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 77 SUNSET STRIP (SNAP, SNAP)  (Read 24220 times)

Danise

Re:77 SUNSET STRIP (SNAP, SNAP)
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2005, 04:28:22 PM »

DR Danise, years ago, they announced in the paper that the shuttle was going to cross directly over the Philadelphia area.  I was living in Collingswood, NJ at the time (very close to Philly), so I went out at night to try to spot it.  I followed a couple of objects (satellites, I guess) with my binoculars, but I didn't see anything that I thought was so special.  Suddenly, something big crossed my field of vision through the binoculars.  Then I spotted it--the outline was unmistakable.  It looked like an airplane, only much higher up and moving fast.  As it moved towards the horizon, I could see the engines burning blue behind it.  TO me, it was an amazing sight that I've never forgotten.

I didn't have time to grab my binoculars so all I saw was what looked like a bright star moving  across the sky.  But it was still something to see and know there are seven people there.  

I only pray that they come home safely on Monday.    :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2005, 04:31:31 PM »

very cool!!! Some years ago  we were at our time share in Kissemmee when the shuttle was going up.  We watched it launch on television and then ran outside and looked UP and watched it climb!!  AWESOME!!

We used to get to see them pretty regular.  The night launch was always something to see!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2005, 04:35:33 PM »

Page 5 Dance!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2005, 05:11:36 PM »

I'm married to an alien

He's got an offical card from the US Government proving it

...and I work for one...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2005, 05:19:21 PM »

Oh, how I'd like to be in the city of my birth (Portland, OR) tonight!  Hope everybody has a great time and that we see some photos soon.

I spent my day in Cincinnati attending a workshop titled "Hungry for Sponsorship," on getting corporate support for nonprofit events and organizations.  It was very worthwhile and was held at the Netherland Plaza Hotel, which is a beautiful art deco building that has been lovingly preserved.

TOD:  CD (car) - Carly Simon's Moonlight Serenade, which I got this week from amazon.com, along with bk's new After the Ball.  While shopping at amazon, I ran into Guy Haines and invited him home with me, but he hasn't shown up yet.  They say he's on this way.
DVD - the DVD side of Carly Simon's Moonlight Serenade.  This is my first "dual disc."
VCR - nothing
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2005, 05:20:34 PM »

Hi, Danise - are we the only ones here?

Danise

« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2005, 05:23:45 PM »

Looks like it. How is life in your neck of the woods?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2005, 05:25:15 PM »

Ready for the trip?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2005, 05:27:51 PM »

Looks like it. How is life in your neck of the woods?

The weather has cooled off a little, thank goodness.  My aunt has arrived to live in the same retirement community as my mom (her sister), and I have a 3-day weekend.  The only downer is that tomorrow morning is the funeral for the beloved co-worker who died Monday.

I've always wanted to see the space shuttle riding on the top of a 747 when they're transporting it from where it lands back to Florida.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2005, 05:28:52 PM »

Today I had to go to the City office to pay for a permit. I saw this piece of art inside the City building. I don't know what it means:

DR Sandra explained it to me. It is the perfect blend of form and formlessness and it makes a real statement about the human condition.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2005, 05:30:56 PM »

DR Sandra explained it to me. It is the perfect blend of form and formlessness and it makes a real statement about the human condition.

Those college students know everything!

Danise

« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2005, 05:31:31 PM »

I've always wanted to see the space shuttle riding on the top of a 747 when they're transporting it from where it lands back to Florida.

That would be neat but considering it's a million dollar price tag attached, I think I could settle for a picture.   :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 05:32:23 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2005, 05:33:43 PM »

I am sorry about your co worker.  

One of the people on the bus told us that they lost someone last night.  He was a work yesterday and all seemed fine, then he was just gone overnight.  You never know.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2005, 05:34:50 PM »

DR Ginny: Your opinion on the Carly Simon would be beneficial.  I love her "Torch". "Film Noir" and "My Romance" Cds. I'm not sure if the new one has been released in OZ as yet.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2005, 05:37:38 PM »

Well, I did get to see one once, quite unexpectedly, one afternoon at Playa Linda off Titusville and Cap Canaveral. It was somewhat close to the ocean, following the shore as it was to land nearby. Hardly anyone on the beach that day; I almost thought I was having an allucination!

François de Paris

Danise

« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2005, 05:48:25 PM »

Can I get a window seat?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

François de Paris

François de Paris

« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2005, 05:56:29 PM »

The little Ho Jo restaurant where I used to have my breakfast or lunch on my way to the beach...

Last time I visited, in October 2001... it was closed for good! Memories....

http://orangeroof.org/Florida/CapeKennedy/Titusville/titusville2.html

http://orangeroof.org/Florida/CapeKennedy/Titusville/titusville3.html
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 06:54:22 PM by François de Paris »

Ginny

« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2005, 06:22:56 PM »

DR Francois - Thank you for the shuttling shuttle pictures.

Ginny

« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2005, 06:34:43 PM »

DR Ginny: Your opinion on the Carly Simon would be beneficial.  I love her "Torch". "Film Noir" and "My Romance" Cds. I'm not sure if the new one has been released in OZ as yet.

DR Tomovoz - I like the new CD very much.  I find it quite satisfying that someone who's about my age can still do what made her famous 30+ years ago.  Until reading the insert, I'd forgotten about My Romance, which I still have on cassette.  The other 2 I'd not heard of, but will now try to find.

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2005, 06:56:25 PM »

Thank you DR Ginny. "Torch" is a favourite of another DR (SWW?).  A wonderful version of Mr Sondheim's "Not A Day Goes By" is on the CD.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2005, 06:59:46 PM »

My thoughts to DR Hisaka on this day. The world has unfortunately progressed little in 60 years.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2005, 07:01:19 PM »

Perhaps watching "Graveyard Of The Fireflies" would be appropriate for many people today.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »

Good Evening!

I went ahead and saw The Sugar Syndrome by Lucy Prebble tonight.  It is being presented in the smaller mainstage space, The Nikos Stage.

Quite a play!  It deals with very difficult subjects: the internet, pedophila, anorexia, dysfunctional families.  There are truly some messed up "blokes" in the play.  However, alongside the disturbing and uncomfortable moments, there were some moments of levity, laughter.

I'm not even going to attempt to summarize the play - you can check out wtfestival.org for their blurb about the piece.  But I do have to say that it was amazing to find out that the playwright, Lucy Prebble, was only 23-years old when she wrote this play.  She is only 25 now.  Quite an extraordinary piece of writing.

And all the actors did an amazing job: Betsy Aidem, Patch Darragh (I love that name!), Gaby Hoffmann, and Tim Hopper.  The set was minimal and spare, but very effective.  And the sound design was also well done.

I'm hoping to get into Tom Stoppard's On the Razzle tomorrow afternoon.  The matinees here are at 4:00 - ?? - but at least that will give me a chance to sleep in and also do some sight-seeing in the morning and afternoon.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2005, 07:38:48 PM »

As for the rest of my evening, I'm going to check out another director's project in a few.  It's a piece by Vaclav Havel.

And then from 12:00-4:00am - at least that's what it says on the posters - I will be attending "The Zoo 202".  This is the second one of the season, thus the "202" designation.  All I know is that there is an open bar - both beer and sodas - snacks... and I'm to expect the unexpected.  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2005, 07:41:26 PM »

Well...  Time for me to get ready for the second part of my Friday evening...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

François de Paris

« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2005, 07:51:33 PM »

Good Evening!

I went ahead and saw The Sugar Syndrome by Lucy Prebble tonight.  It is being presented in the smaller mainstage space, The Nikos Stage.

Quite a play!  It deals with very difficult subjects: the internet, pedophila, anorexia, dysfunctional families.

Gee! Just like the stuff that makes up the news here on TV and papers!
Perfect for a relaxing evening, I guess, to get away from it all! :(

"I'd rather charleston!" :)

François de Paris

« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2005, 07:55:31 PM »

My thoughts to DR Hisaka on this day. The world has unfortunately progressed little in 60 years.

I second that!

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/08/05/news/hiro.php

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2005, 08:04:51 PM »

I am listless.  I used to have a list, but I don't know where it's gone to.  Hence, I am listless.  I'm antsy.  I feel like dancing the Lambada (The Forbidden Dance) but there's no one to dance with.  I could take a walk.  Perhaps that would get me over this listless feeling.

I'm watching the BBC version of The Day of the Triffids.  It's very good, but I'm listless and not in the mood to watch the TV screen right now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up