Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SLEUTH  (Read 32107 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:SLEUTH
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2005, 02:11:53 AM »

I've never been that fond of gaetting either DR Elmore.  I've just never really coped with those involved steps using ballet foot positions.

Don't mock me!  I'm a pathetic typist.  I'm more to be pitied than censured.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2005, 02:21:54 AM »

I always blame my proofreading DR Elmore. Amazing how we instantly see other people's errors and not our own!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2005, 02:23:23 AM »

I just had a phone call from my mother. That's significant. (td will understand). It was not from my mother who died in 2001.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 02:23:47 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2005, 04:01:30 AM »

I always blame my proofreading DR Elmore. Amazing how we instantly see other people's errors and not our own!

Isn't it amazing?  You read, think it looks good, and then you find the posting' s a grammatical, spelling disaster!  Story of my life!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2005, 04:39:22 AM »

Good morning all.I actually woke up before my alarm at 3:30 am and got to the airport by a little after 4:00am. I was shocked to find people and an open coffee stand, but very happy. PDX has free wireless internet, so I had to get on and play while I wait.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2005, 04:39:38 AM »

Alone again, naturally

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2005, 04:40:00 AM »

Well, no one to talk to, nothing to do but dance and get ready to fly

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2005, 04:40:18 AM »

Talk to ya later

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2005, 05:17:05 AM »

Belated Birthday Wishes to DR TD and Betsy!  
Wish both of you had a special beautiful birthday.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2005, 05:21:56 AM »

Nice photos from the gathering! Thanks to DR Cillaliz and George. Happy to see that DRs in Portland are all good friends (as DRs in the East )
I'd like to join you folks at a HHW gathering someday.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2005, 05:26:46 AM »

Today, I saw a loooong Italian film, La Meglio Gioventu’ (The Best of Youth) at theater and I liked it. It was a quietly and heartily emotional film. The story was about a family in Rome for 37 years (1966-2003) and the work was originally made as a TV drama.  I was surprised by the opening with House of The Rising Sun by The Animals in overwhelmingly loud sound and then could hear different kinds of music, pops, rocks, jazz and classics, in consonance with the times, in it.  It runs 6 hours and 6 minutes, started at 11:00 and finished at 17:40 with 30-minutes-intermission for lunch (!)  I got very sleepy after lunch as I’d thought and probably missed a few minutes of the second half while I was nodding (couldn’t resist it)  :-\

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2005, 05:28:34 AM »

Best wishes for a bright and happy anniversary to DR Ben and Anthony!

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2005, 05:34:33 AM »

Happy Anniversary to DR Ben and Anthony!

Btw, I have found out that unless you want to be wide awake at 12:30am, it is not smart to drink an iced cappucino at 10pm. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2005, 05:41:44 AM »

Re: last night's BIG BROTHER 6.

Did anybody else find what they saw on last night's show different from what they read on canoe?  I thought that Rachel had agreed to switch their noms to Sarah/James.  But it seems like she had no choice, because she was screwed over by howie (he had promised people he was going to do that).

I still don't get why howie did not ask james what he had to say.  This doesn't make sense to me.  Oh, and how convenient that all those in the "Friendship" forgot to tell Howie the part about how James changed his mind and told ivette he would not nom Howie/Rachel but rather Maggie.  In my mind james was never planning on nominating Howie/Rachel or why would he have gone to Ivette (BEFORE the HOH comp) and told her the deal was off.

I agree with everyone. Howie is totally stupid. And he screwed this up for everyone on his team.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2005, 05:45:56 AM »

I've been printing the DVD cover that I made for What If? but my printer ran out of ink, so I had to refill it.  The problem is that I have to print something several times or let the printer set for a while (it'll be over night, this time) for the ink to be completely saturated into the sponge in the ink cartridge, otherwise the colors don't print properly...which they're not. :P

Sorry about the refill, DR George.  Your ink cartridge has a five-gallon capacity? ;)
Well, may I ask if, if, if you have a recorder which makes a copy to(on?) VHS cassette from DVD?  I’ve been always wishing to see dear BK’s What If? but I don’t have a player for region 1/ region free DVDs. If, if, if you make a copy (VHS cassette or region free DVD) of What If? for me, it’ll be very, very, very appreciated.  

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2005, 05:47:35 AM »

Good morning, DR Jennifer!
Have a beautiful Sunday!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2005, 06:11:12 AM »

Good Morning!

...Off to rehearsal....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2005, 06:11:36 AM »

Happy Anniversary Ben and Ant!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2005, 06:12:13 AM »

Books: "The Piano Tuner", and one of the collections of Ruth Reichl's essays/stories/writings.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2005, 06:12:25 AM »

And now...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2005, 06:33:26 AM »

Now that I take a real look at them,  the question of the day has caught me at a strange time in terms of the books I've read and am reading.  I hope there's no insight into the person to be gathered from the books they read at a given moment.  :)  There's too much of a money-oriented theme to my current list.  

The book I've just pretty much finished is Bob Sehlinger's UNOFFICIAL GUIDE TO LAS VEGAS 2005, since I'd been planning a trip back to Vegas that now seems unlikely to happen this summer.  

And I've just started HOW TO LIVE AND DIE WITH NEW YORK PROBATE, following up on the Estate Planning seminar they just sent me to from work.  

Next on tap:  David Spencer's MUSICAL THEATER WRITER'S SURVIVAL GUIDE.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2005, 06:41:04 AM »

Happy Anniversary DR Ben and Ant!  ;D
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2005, 06:49:33 AM »

DR Joey: When are you in the City? What are you seeing while you're here? You should stop by MTI - I can give you the grand tour and if you contact me before you come in, I might be able to scrounge up a couple of door prizes.

That sounds great DR Jason! I'll be in the city starting Monday and will be leaving Friday afternoon. I'll go ahead and send you my cell phone number.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 06:59:28 AM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...

td

• td
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2005, 06:49:44 AM »

BOOKS:
THE HISTORIAN - slow to begin, but well worth the effort in the end; quickly added to my top ten favorite novels.
SERENITY FALLS:  WRIT IN BLOOD - creepy, mesmerizing, but somewhat lacking; the first in a trilogy.
SERNITY FALLS:  THE PACK - (which I am currently reading), quick moving, truly scary and featuring TRANSMUTATIONS galore! Not to mention buckets of blood and vivid imagery.

I'll pipe in on ALEXANDER (and Colin Farrell) - I haven't seen the Director's Cut, but, to my understanding, the scenes with Ms. Dawson are lessened with this cut; the scenes have been re-arranged, Mr. Hopkins has less to do and Ms. Jolie (channeling Bela Lugosi) and Mr. Kilmer have more to do.  The new cut does NOT (supposedly) cut down on any of the love that dare not speak its name subtext; I'm curious to know, since I found the theatrical film to be a brave, but ultimately, only so-so film.  The dvd, however of the threatrical cut, is definitely one of the best looking and sounding dvds in my collection.

As for Colin, when he's good, he's very, very good; when he's miscast, he's rotten but watchable.  I think that despite his looks and magnetism, he's not primed to be a leading man, though he does carry off PHONE BOOTH impeccably.  He's best when he's supporting as in TIGERLAND and DAREDEVIL.  He certainly brings nada to the table as ALEXANDER, but a petulant glare.

As for Stone, the only other film I own of his is JFK.  Because of my interest in the subject matter, I saw this theatrically on its opening night and several other times thereafter.

Stone's ALEXANDER (theatrical version) is a great-looking film, the early scenes in the subterranean caves transferred quite well to dvd, but the script is all over the place!  Alexander is Henry V at some points, at others he's just some Irish lad with a surger dude mentality.  All in all, though, I enjoyed ALEXANDER more than Wolfgang Peterson's TROY, of which I only liked the score and Mr. Bana's performance. . .

I'll be interested to pick up the book on Alexander which DR Pogue has mentioned.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Michael

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2005, 07:15:52 AM »

I have been reading three non fiction books. One was a biography of Lorenz Hart that I was using for research for a play I wanted to write about him. Which I did start and gave to my lawyer to read and he suggested that I drop it. Not because it was bad, but because I could get sued.

The other two books were also non fiction bboks:

We Could Always Call Them Bulgarians (A Theater Book)
Tinker Bells and Evil Queens (A book about the Walt Disney Company that read more like a thesis for some kind of university degree)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2005, 07:18:29 AM »

The title of today's notes: SLEUTH reminded me of a story that one of the titles considered for the play SLEUTH was "Who's Afraid Of Stephen Sondheim?"

Does anyone know if this is actually true?
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2005, 07:33:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: TRANSMUTATION!
Thomas the Tank Engine is an example of a trans mutation into something really creepy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2005, 07:46:58 AM »

...And I've just started HOW TO LIVE AND DIE WITH NEW YORK PROBATE, following up on the Estate Planning seminar they just sent me to from work. ...
I've got to get these glasses cleaned.  I thought you'd written HOW TO LIVE AND DIE WITH NEW YORK PROSTATE!

::) :-\ ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2005, 07:53:40 AM »

Finished reading, fiction: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.  (Not to be confused with DR George and the Half-Orange Prints.)

Finished reading, non-fiction: New York, from Williams-Sonoma.  Yep, a cookbook.

There's nothing on my must-read list right now.  I'm busy enough that my reading time is severely diminished.  (Oh, for the olden days, when my two-hour commute on public transportation gave me oodles of time to read...)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2005, 07:58:15 AM »

I've just started to read Gregory McGuire's "Lost". DP Colin did not finish it (lost interest) and DR td was also disappointed. I shall be interested to read "Son Of A Witch" which will be published soon....
Most people I've heard from have found Lost to be McGuire's weakest book.  (Apart from his children's lit, of course.)  And I recall that he hinted that there was another story to be told about Oz towards the end of Wicked.

Do you know anything about his collection of rewritten fairy tales, Leaping Beauty?  I keep trying to find books for the grandlads, and this caught my eye a while back.  Unfortunately, it was while I was short of funds and I had to leave it on the shelf at the store.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up