Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SLEUTH  (Read 32120 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:SLEUTH
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2005, 08:11:15 AM »

Happy Anniversary to Ben and Anthony!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2005, 08:13:11 AM »

THE DUCK FOLLIES...

The duck has been postponed.  The store that was supposed to supply said duck, Beautiful Foods, won't have the fresh duck for us until next Wednesday.  Since this is after der B's birthday, it seems rather silly to try to roast it for his birthday dinner, particularly since the recipe he wants me to try is from the previously mentioned New York and requires the duck to be aged in the fridge for three days before the roasting.  Heck, at that rate we'll be having duck for my birthday celebration, and I'd much rather have sushi.

So, instead I'll be fixing der B a roast leg of lamb.  It will probably have to wait until the day after his birthday, because of his commitment to ladsit on Monday.  The good news is that I'm off work early enough on Tuesday to make this a good target for the dinner.  (Now I just need to find the leg of lamb, and make a few other adjustments...)

As for the duck, it will still be on the menu soon.  After all, we've ordered the bird and it would be rude not to purchase it.  We'll just have to pick something else to celebrate, rather than the birthday.

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2005, 08:14:59 AM »

Page Three?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2005, 08:16:01 AM »

Off to the SPECIAL HAIR & MAKEUP session for PIPPIN called by the HAIR-COSTUME designer who quit on Friday night....maybe....and who may...or MAY NOT be there....and it's a mess.

But we open on Thursday....and then PIPPIN will belong to the ages.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2005, 08:17:47 AM »

Last books read:

DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY recommended by DR GINNY.  The story of the architect of the 1903 Chicago Exposition and a doctor in the same town full of nefarious deeds.  A true story.

THE PERFECT CRIME - a book about Leopold & Loeb (not the composers).

THE SHORT HAPPY REIGN OF PIPPIN IV by John Steinbeck....a very funny small book!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2005, 08:18:09 AM »

Off to a useless session of face and hair renovation.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2005, 08:21:03 AM »

Be of stout heart, JRand!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2005, 08:22:05 AM »

(In the fashion dictated by the tabloid wags)

[size=20]Happy Anniversary, Banthony![/size]

Ben

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2005, 08:42:57 AM »

Thanks for all the sweet wishes. We will spend a quiet day. Anthony is still nursing his foot and since we're going to Michigan in two weeks for a very quick trip he wants to stay off it as much as possible.

I'm finishing Harry Potter and I'm also finishing Musical Comedy in America: From the Black Crook to South Pacific. It's a book by Cecil Smith that came out in 1950. I found it in Ant's collection and it's an interesting read.

I began This Much I Know is True by Wally Lamb. It won the Pulizter Prize but I couldn't finish it.

Even though they are not books, I'm catching up on old issues of The New Yorker.

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2005, 09:03:50 AM »

Best anniversary wishes to Ben & Anthony!  Where are you going in Michigan?  Southeastern MI is my "home" - grew up in Detroit and spent 5 years in Ann Arbor.  My sister still lives in Grand Blanc, which is near Flint.  It's a beautiful state and I was very sad to read George Will's column in today's paper about the (he thinks) irreversible decay of Detroit.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2005, 09:07:53 AM »

Today is a cooking Sunday for me.  My aunt's moving van arrived yesterday from Phoenix, so she and my mom are busy getting her settled into her new home at Otterbein Retirement Community.  We're taking dinner out to them later.  Richard's menu recommendation:  cold fried chicken, baked beans, and potato salad.  The chicked is fried and chilling, beans are ready to bake in Mom's oven, and the potato salad has been transferred from deli containers to my own (I've never made potato salad - that's my sister's and DN Laura's specialty).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2005, 09:12:56 AM »

It's so flattering to read in today's posts that DR's Iris and JRand are reading things that I (and Jane) have recommended.  I'm into a new lady sleuth (the town's assistant reference librarian) mystery series set in Amarillo, TX (who'd have thought it, Jose?).  It's by D. R. Meredith and the premise is "a mystery reading group meddles in murder."  I'm about half-way through the first of 4 and am enjoying the many references to the genre.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2005, 10:02:13 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  This is the first time in a week I've slept past eight o'clock, and boy did I need to.

Yes, Shayne, Who's Afraid of Stephen Sondheim was an early title for Sleuth.

Jason

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2005, 10:26:45 AM »

Afternoon, all. Hope everyone is well!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, DR BEN & ANT!! Congratulations!

DR Joey: I'll be in the office all week from 9:30-5:30, so feel free to stop in. Like I said, let me know a guesstimate of when you're stopping by and I'll see what I can do about scrounging up some sparkling souvenirs.

Today is, much to my dismay, laundry day. I don't want to do it. Really, I don't.

What have I been reading? Well, it's more like what have I been planning to read. I started "The Light In the Piazza" last night. I started "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" about 2 weeks ago. I'm on Chapter 4. I started "To Kill a Mockingbird" a few months ago. I'm on Chapter 4. I started "The Wind in the Willows" in March. I'm on Chapter 5. And I have (literally) 15 books waiting to be read that are just sitting on my shelf.

DR SWW: The sequel to "Wicked" is called "Son of a Witch," to which DR Tomovoz referred earlier. It's set to be released in September! :) http://www.playbill.com/news/article/93670.html

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2005, 10:40:44 AM »

DR SWW: The sequel to "Wicked" is called "Son of a Witch," to which DR Tomovoz referred earlier. It's set to be released in September! :) http://www.playbill.com/news/article/93670.html
Sorry, I thought that was clear in my reference, in context to DR Tomovoz's post.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2005, 10:42:32 AM »

TD, the book I have on Alexander is an old one written by Harold Lamb, an author I collect.  One can usually find a used paperback of it somewhere relatively cheap.  There are probably other later ones that are more thorough.

I felt Stone's handling of Aexander's gayness was tepid at best and utterly passionless so that when Alexander has his big grief scene over Hephaestion's death, I didn't believe it.  The romantic scenes between the two were very tentative, limited to embraces so "we don't turn folks off or make them think Alexander is a wussy". And it was immediately followed with very passionate love scene with Roxane with lots of nudity to show that, "Yeah, even though Alexander did it with guys, he was butch and knew how to give a woman a real rogering.".  

The only interesting part about homosexuality was when Christopher Plummer, as Aristotle, explains to his young students a philosophy about the love between two men which probably bore some resemblance to the Grecian attitude to it...which was that it was a fairly normal practice among them; even though it was still couched in caveats about what kind of homosexual love was noble and what kind was not (Achilles' excessive love for Patroclus was not).

But the biggest problem was you believe neither Farrell nor Jared Leto.  They look embarrassed, uncomfortable, and worried about their images.  There was no heat or any kind of passion in the relationship. And aside from a couple of these scenes, Leto's character has absolutely nothing else to do.

It was actually one of the biggest problems of the film with all of Alexander's companions...they may get one or two scenes, but the rest of the time they are reduced to extras and you really never get to know any of them as individuals, they're merely serving plot.

elmore, I too prefer THE KING MUST DIE, though I found Renault's Alexander novels more interesting than the films.  The problem with Alexander is that he pretty much goes from success to success in the latter half of his life. Not a lot of dramatic conflict.

It is his relationship with his parents and their political wrangling that's the interesting part, but that it is the first half of his life.  Writers and film-makers try to make Alexander full of Oedipal angst and filled with father issues to give his life some drama, but it still can't make up for the second half of his life which becomes military campaign after military campaign and victory after victory.  After one or two battles, you've pretty much seen them all...and you already know the outcome.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2005, 10:44:15 AM »

We are getting thundered here in Rehoboth.  I'll have to talk der B into driving me to work, instead of my usual hike in.  

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2005, 11:03:28 AM »

In reference to the past topic of getting back in touch with people, I talked for the first time today with a guy I went to school with from Kindergarten through 8th grade. I went to a very small Catholic school with only one teacher per grade level, and I hadn't talked to him since then. We never had very much in common then, but we have a lot in common now and I will probably be in regular contact with him and another guy who went to school with us because of some mutual interests. It was good to talk to him.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2005, 11:46:22 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from our rehearsal.  And our second run-thru.  The show is in great shape!  Still some rough spots, and actually one new song to be written, taught and staged, but we have a good week and a half before we go into tech, so...  Some of the higher-ups came to the run-thru today too.  It was their first time hearing me.  And I'm sort of anxious to hear what they heard/thought.

But for now, my day is basically done.  It's another beautiful day here in the Berkshires, but I think I'm going to take it easy - possibly a nap after last night's late-night theatre-going.  And the composer may call me up later to play through the new material.

But for now...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2005, 11:50:28 AM »

DR SWW - Re: Your Duck - Does the duck just need to sit in the fridge for three days unadorned?  Or is their a marinade involved?

There was a recipe in Cook's Illustrated a few months ago for a roast turkey - maybe chicken - which called for letting the bird sit in the fridge uncovered for a few days before cooking it.  This was it helped to "manage" the moisture content in the skin - which would, in turn, help it to cook more evenly.

Is this what will happen to the duck?
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2005, 12:02:02 PM »

In reference to the past topic of getting back in touch with people, I talked for the first time today with a guy I went to school with from Kindergarten through 8th grade. I went to a very small Catholic school with only one teacher per grade level, and I hadn't talked to him since then. We never had very much in common then, but we have a lot in common now and I will probably be in regular contact with him and another guy who went to school with us because of some mutual interests. It was good to talk to him.

DRJoey, what happened to your avatar?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2005, 12:04:59 PM »

DR SWW - Re: Your Duck - Does the duck just need to sit in the fridge for three days unadorned?  Or is their a marinade involved?

My mother used to say there was nothing more embarassing than a naked duck sitting in ther fridge.  I think that's what she said.

DRJose, it was so sad saying goodbye to Tom Murray today.  It's been great having him around for 5 months.  He does excellent detective work!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2005, 12:29:17 PM »

Hi Everyone.  Rodzinski is indeed out of town for a family reunion- Crown Point, Indiana to be exact.  He left Thursday AM and will get back tomorrow night so that is why you have not seen him on the board.

I have no such excuse.  Friday was my last day at work, so I spent most of that day celebrating and a good portion of yesterday recovering from the celebration.  :)

Today, I've been playing with my going away present- an iPod mini!  It took me a little while to figure out what the heck to do, but now I'm on a role and having a great time picking out music to put onto it.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2005, 12:30:16 PM »

And now, I am off to break it in with a jog in the park.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2005, 12:36:56 PM »

...I have to say, I'm really digging spaceagepop.com.  Very cool stuff - and a bunch of tracks are actually taken from LPs that have yet to see the light of day on CD.

Currently playing, Ferrante & Teicher playing "The Moon Was Yellow" from Heavenly Sounds in Hi-Fi.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2005, 12:40:04 PM »

Ohh...  And now "Out of this World" as rendered by Frank Comstock on "Music from Outer Space".

Groovy!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2005, 12:41:05 PM »

DR elmore - I'm sure he will his time with you too.  -And I need to get some sort of address from you for him so that I can thank him properly for his recommendation.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2005, 12:42:04 PM »

DR TPunk - Hope you had a nice jog in the Park sporting your new iPod mini.

Oh - What color?
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2005, 12:48:24 PM »

DR elmore - I'm sure he will his time with you too.  -And I need to get some sort of address from you for him so that I can thank him properly for his recommendation.

DRJose, I'll send you his email address and phone number.  I don't have any Chicago street address for him.  I'm sure it's somewhere in the recording office.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2005, 12:48:59 PM »

And now I think I shall catch up on some reading.. and/or nap...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up