Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HAPPINESS IS JUST A THING CALLED JOE  (Read 25030 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:HAPPINESS IS JUST A THING CALLED JOE
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2005, 01:22:34 AM »

As for Lena Horne - "Stormy Weather" is the only that comes to mind...  However, there was a time whenever she would do a guest appearance on a talk show, variety show, etc., that she would sing "Believe In Yourself" from The Wiz - since she had sung it in the movie.  I just so sick of hearing it every time I saw her on TV.  "Doesn't she know another song?"

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2005, 01:23:23 AM »

And that brought us to Page 2...

And since I want to be up by 8:30... Which means I'll get about 4 hours of sleep...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2005, 01:23:34 AM »

Jose, I'll drink the Veuve Cliquot when I can get it (or someone else is paying for it); but I never turn down the cheaper stuff.  After a glass or two, it all starts to taste like Veuve Cliquot.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2005, 01:25:28 AM »

I can find no detailed specifics on this meal you have eaten in today's posts.  You talk about wanting to eat something fabulously fabulous and always ending up eating the same old thing, but that's all I could find.  God!  Am I going Blind!  Or just illiterate!

BK wanted to go to In and Out Burger, but since the traffic pattern made it impossible to get into the parking lot, he decided to head home.  Eventually, he had a Lean Cuisine pizza which was so-so and seems to have not agreed with him.

-Maybe you are going blind.... Or I'm hallucinating...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2005, 01:26:24 AM »

Jose, I'll drink the Veuve Cliquot when I can get it (or someone else is paying for it); but I never turn down the cheaper stuff.  After a glass or two, it all starts to taste like Veuve Cliquot.

Were you drinking some of the cheaper stuff tonight?  Maybe that would explain why you didn't catch BK's comments on his not so ideal repast.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2005, 01:26:54 AM »

And, once again... as the rain has started to fall here in the Berkshires...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2005, 01:27:07 AM »

It's not in today's notes or posts - last night's.  I talk about wanting In and Out Burger and how I wasn't able to get near the restaurant to get it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2005, 01:28:53 AM »

I'll refrain from telling Jose how much the musical director is getting paid.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2005, 01:30:23 AM »

I don't have no stinking acid reflux.  I've got reflux from eating crap.  I probably should have gone to Jerry's and gotten a salad to go, but I was so miffed at not getting my In and Out Burger, that I came home instead.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2005, 01:36:47 AM »

Thank God, I'm not blind, illiterate, drunk, or crazy...yesterday's posts.  Not today's notes. If I had to read that long, long paragraph again about Joe and his happiness and all that other stuff, I would have gone crazy.  I must've read todays notes five times, looking for this tortilla and pizza and In & Out Burger.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 01:37:40 AM by Charles Pogue »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2005, 01:43:26 AM »

Imagine how I felt WRITING that paragraph.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2005, 01:44:11 AM »

But my Sunday meal will be something fabulously fabulous.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2005, 01:45:00 AM »

Have you noticed how Jose just ignores me whenever I talk about potential employment for him.  One would think he just didn't have a good time working with me.  :-)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2005, 01:47:47 AM »

Well, perhaps it's time to toddle off to the bedroom environment.  Oh, and yes, When Eight Bells Toll has a screenplay by Mr. Alistair MacLean - however, my guess is that the very bad director, Etienne Perier, is at fault - and it feels like the film was probably a good twenty minutes longer because nothing makes any sense as it is now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2005, 01:49:55 AM »

The musical director I hired for the benefit is Mr. Rob Bowers, who musical directed Together Again for me.  Rob's very good, and he's actually a fine composer/lyricist as well.  He's getting paid a LARGE amount of money.  And apparently he enjoyed working with me.

Michael

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2005, 02:42:41 AM »

Yeah, BK, and you can also play a size five and walk in heels!

Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2005, 03:22:05 AM »

Good one Michael. Have an enjoyable Sunday.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2005, 06:00:41 AM »

Strange, when one looks forward to Monday as the day one can actually sleep in...
Day two of my 20 hour weekend training class begins at 7 am, so I must soon hie myself to the city of Kent and learn more about taking care of children, or should I say, what Washington State has determined is the LEGAL way to take care of said children.  Ah well, at least the instructor has cut our 20 hour class down to 14 hours...it helps.  

Yesterday DB Jed and I also wanted something fabulously fabulous for dinner, and decided not to settle for the same old same old.  So we splurged and went to Old Spaghetti Factory.  Jed had spinach torteliini with alfredo sauce, while i had baked Greek chicken and pasta with Mizithra...so very yummy!  

Off I go...hope this day goes quickly.  

td

• td
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2005, 06:39:12 AM »

My favorite Arlen song (following "Over the Rainbow," of course) is "With the Sun Warm Upon Me."

I never thought much of Lena Horne UNTIL I saw her THE LADY AND HER MUSIC; I had a seat in the center of the second row while Ms. Horne bewitched, bedazzled and enchanted her audience with songs and stories.  I honestly don't think that Lena translates well to the "listening only" medium - she's a performer who must be seen AND heard at the same time.  That said, my favorite Lena Horne songs are:
"Where or When"
"Love"
"From this Moment On"
"Ain't it the Truth"
"Just One of Those Things"
"Stormy Weather"
"Why Was I Born?"
"The Lady is a Tramp"
"Watch What Happens"
"Believe in Yourself"
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2005, 06:39:59 AM »

BIG BROTHER DISCUSSION SPOILERS.

I haven't read the live feed spoilers yet.  But DR MattH, made a comment about last night's show, "bye bye janelle".

I disagree.  Beau has to nominate Rachel and howie, because they are a pair.  I will have to read to see if the Friendship even considered nominating Janelle (i just checked and beau did indeed nominate rachel and howie).    I wonder if we missed all the discussion talk while the feeds were at fish!

td

• td
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2005, 06:41:22 AM »

August 21, 1980:

Today in Musical Theater History:
Linda Ronstadt makes her Broadway debut with the Gilbert & Sullivan production "The Pirates of Penzance."

I'll be hearing "Poor Wandering One" in my head all day now.   :o

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2005, 06:41:28 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept very late: 8:30, and I've just finished reading the encyclopediacs of posts from yesterday.  I don't believe it's the computer that's causing grammatical and spelling errors, of which I can be occasionally guilty, but the general dumbing down of America:  I was a tv series the other night in which a character incorrectly used the nominative case when he meant to use the objective; editors in every position in the media, from books to radio, seem to be illiterate these days.  I won't even jump into the PRINCESSES fray!  Rather Bruce Coughlin than I.

End of soapbox.

DRGeorge, thank you for the WUTHERING HEIGHTS update; I look forward to hearing the rest of the score only because I liked the duet so much.  I knew RUSALKA for years only from  her Song to the Moon, but I figured if the rest of the score were as good, it must be a great opera. Now that I know the piece, I have to say the Song to the Moon is the best portion of it, but Dvorak was no slouch as a composer and the opera has many wonderful moments.  I hope I feel the same about WUTHERING HEIGHTS.

TOD:  Never liked Lena Horne much; she generally never sings the notes the composer  wrote.  Perhaps this was true only at the late stages of her career, but I nearly passed out the first time I heard her sing "Push De Button" on one pitch.  However, I would have paid anything to see BK's Julie in SHOWBOAT.  

Arlen songs:  My Shining Hour (absolute fave)
                  Push De Button
                  Blues in the Night
                  All of THE WIZARD OF OZ
                  It's Only a Paper Moon
                  A Sleepin' Bee
I'm working on an Arlen show for the Chicago Humanities Festival this November, LIFE BEGINS AT 8:40, which introduced "You're a Builder Upper." but I love "Weekend Cruise" (Will you love me on Monday morning as you did on Friday night?).
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2005, 06:43:41 AM »

BIG BROTHER response to DR MBarnum's comments last night.  No spoilers.

Do I think Howie has been acting a bit childish? Yes.  But I still like him and janelle and rachel a thousand times more than i like the Friendship.

I do agree with you though that james is doing an interesting job. And i would have found it interesting to see what would have happened if he had gotten HOH.

I totally disgree with you about beau getting hoh.  I cannot think of anything worse. And it won't be interesting at all since he will target the outcasts.

Kaysar was also my favorite, but now it is janelle, followed by rachel or howie.  I totally care who wins.  And I totally still really dislike maggie/april/ivette/beau.

FJL

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2005, 06:47:03 AM »

Lena Horne's performance of "If You Believe" had one of my favorite almost-but-not-quite rhymes.  When she sings "Believe what you feel, and knows you're right because/ The time will come around, when you say it's yours."  I remember that when I heard her sing it live, she made a point of hitting that rhyme, rhyming "because and "yaws" (instead of "yours").  I don't think she did that on the WIZ  movie soundtrack, and I had wondered if the songwriter had asked her to make it rhyme.  

But it pointed out the potency of a "not quite" rhyme.  Some of my other favorites are in the song "My Guy":  "word of honna" with "I'm gonna"; and in "Chuck E's In Love":  "contagious" with "Pantages."  

Oops, I've gotten on a whole different subject.  Sorry for digressing, but Lena Horne's show in 1981 was the first time I became aware of the power of the near-rhyme, if the performer really goes with it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 06:58:53 AM by FJL »

td

• td
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2005, 06:48:55 AM »

the first time I became aware of the power of the near-rhyme

. . .was when I saw EDUCATING RITA.  ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2005, 07:04:36 AM »

Good Morning!

My last post from Williamstown...

BK - I truly had to go to bed last night/this morning, otherwise, I would have "responded" to your post regarding the MD for the LACC benefit.  So...  I guess this is the response.

;)

Well, I need to head down to the office and check out, and then meet up with DRs Rodzinksi and TPunk for the ride back to Manhattan.

Ah, New York City!

:)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2005, 07:05:39 AM »

DR TD - I haven't seen EDUCATING RITA.  Do they deal with near-rhymes in that play?  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2005, 07:15:31 AM »

Yeah, BK, and you can also play a size five and walk in heels!
Which is much better than walking in a size five and playing a heel.  Not our esteemed BK's style, anyway.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2005, 07:19:49 AM »

Piglet, Rabbit and Pooh were hesitant to leave the Hundred Acre Wood, but the braver Tigger and Rubicund them onwards!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2005, 07:35:43 AM »

DR TD - I haven't seen EDUCATING RITA.  Do they deal with near-rhymes in that play?  

It's all about assonance.  Rita has some clever ideas regarding poetry which doesn't rhyme.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up