Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: STRANGE ADVENTURES  (Read 28753 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:STRANGE ADVENTURES
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2005, 02:17:10 PM »

My guess, DRMATTH, is that since Ginger stepped in on such short notice, that her costumes were designed "on the fly" - but I doubt that she wore anything designed for Judy since they were such different body types.  Ginger wrote in her book that when she reported to MGM, the first thing she did was go to Irene's workshop to look at sketches, so Judy and her clothes were OUT and Ginger and her NEW clothes were IN.

I can't imagine Judy in the gold lame dress Ginger wears under the opening credits....although the pajamas and casual slacks might be Judy items.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2005, 02:17:12 PM »

I think tomorrow, I'll make a CD from the video of the workshop of Sunset Blvd.  The video quality isn't good, but the sound is from the soundboard, so that quality is good.   It's one of my favorite "recordings" of the show and has the original London cast

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2005, 02:17:41 PM »

I meant to say that today is Sophia Loren day on TCM, so I'm sure fans of hers are looking forward to catching some of her films.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2005, 02:18:37 PM »

Operation Crossbow tonight at 12:15 EST!

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2005, 02:20:05 PM »

My guess, DRMATTH, is that since Ginger stepped in on such short notice, that her costumes were designed "on the fly" - but I doubt that she wore anything designed for Judy since they were such different body types.  Ginger wrote in her book that when she reported to MGM, the first thing she did was go to Irene's workshop to look at sketches, so Judy and her clothes were OUT and Ginger and her NEW clothes were IN.

I can't imagine Judy in the gold lame dress Ginger wears under the opening credits....although the pajamas and casual slacks might be Judy items.  

Yes, and Ginger was such a stickler about her clothes in films that I suspect she would have been insulted if the costumes weren't designed specifically for her.

Thanks.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2005, 02:25:21 PM »

Why yes I am, DRRLP.  It is at Amish Acres, in Nappanee at the Round Barn Theatre (as opposed to my Hazel Day Longden Theatre on Round Barn Road in Greencastle).  

At Napannee they do shows nine months out of the year and PLAIN AND FANCY runs in repertory with the others in the season.  When a new show is rehearsing, P/F is up.  You can see it from May to October on different dates and weekends.  8)

http://www.amishacres.com/aa_musical_theatre/musical_theatre.htm

It's a great space.  I have only been there once, to see something OTHER than P/F....but if you're traveling back through Indiana, it might be a fun place to visit!  8)

Thanks for the background.

Oh!  Funny thing!

My mother is going to be "mingling" with the cast on Friday evening.

She and my aunt are on an excursion done for folks who put trips together.  Today they arrive in Covington KY and have a buffet dinner on the Belle of Cincinnati (a riverboat).  Tomorrow, they go to Nappannee and will do the local sights...like a Dutch village and shops/crafts/antiques, etc.  Friday they tour the Amish countryside and hit all the "shops", the Ruthmere Mansion, Midwest Museum of American Art for the Rockwell exhibit, and the evening is nearly capped off by a family style "Threshers Dinner" at Amish Acres' Restaurant Barn where they will take in a performance of Elton John/Tim Rice's "Aida".  Then it's back to the hotel and a "mingle" with the cast of "Plain and Fancy."  More touring on Saturday and a drive to Louisville.  Touring there on Sunday and a return home to SC in the evening.  (I can just hear my mother now: "My son majored in drama in college and I know he's done little theater, but not for a long time now.")

It's free and it's something she would not otherwise ever have considered doing.

So...ain't retired life grand?  Simply GRAND?!!!??!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 02:28:46 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2005, 02:27:10 PM »

Well the mail brought an exciting pre-birthday surprise from DRMBARNUM.  What treasure there were:

Two gladiator movies on DVD featuring Mr Richard Harrison.
The script for ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE.
A photo of Mr John Gavin.
A production still from LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING.
A CD from the New York tryout production of INSOMNIA.
A very funny card.
And something else that will get its own post below.

Thanks, DRMBARNUM!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2005, 02:28:18 PM »

It's kind of like A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM...

2 pm - PLAIN AND FANCY
8 pm - AIDA

Whew!  Hope nobody gets mixed up!

Jason

« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2005, 02:28:58 PM »

I've eaten dinner at Thresher's. Tell her to eat light for lunch, 'cause they really pile on the food, and it's all that rich, hearty Amish stuff. Very tasty. And tell her to at least sample the horseradish cheese at the Cheese Shop and the fudge at the Sweets Shop - FANTASTIC!

And tell her to send my love to my hometown of Louisville. I won't get back there until Christmas...

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2005, 02:29:02 PM »

DR Ron, but is she seeing "Plain and Fancy"?

Jason

« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2005, 02:30:17 PM »

Oh! And the apple butter is really good, so she should send you some....

Jason

« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2005, 02:31:04 PM »

And now I'm off to my home environment.... Ciao for niao!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2005, 02:32:27 PM »

Best birthday present EVER:

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Imagine it in its 8x10 glory!  That is an actual policeman from San Juan, Puerto Rico - taking a photo op with the American star of the United Artists Production COUNTERPLOT, Allison Hayes.  Miss Hayes enjoyed her stay on the island, including accomodations at the brand new CARIBE HILTON (the first Hilton Hotel built outside the contiguous United States).  As you can tell, production photographer Bill Crespinal enjoyed photographing the local architecture of the city.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2005, 02:34:06 PM »

Off to rehearsal!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2005, 02:56:14 PM »

I confess I'd rather my mother would get to see "Plain and Fancy"...more her "type" of musical.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2005, 02:56:15 PM »

Allison who???

;D

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2005, 02:57:27 PM »

OK, off to help my friend move some furniture around his condo. Should be back later, hopefully without a strained back muscle.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2005, 02:58:18 PM »

DR Ron, but is she seeing "Plain and Fancy"?

No. She's seeing "Aida."  She's only "mingling" with the cast of "Plain and Fancy."

I don't know why.

Jason:  She's on a bus somewhere in Kentucky right now.  Or, she's about to embark on the Belle of Cincinnati for dinner.

There will be no opportunity to recommend anything.

I'll get a full report from her Sunday evening.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2005, 03:00:03 PM »

Oh! And the apple butter is really good, so she should send you some....

Ciao-ders!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2005, 03:07:39 PM »

That's no mere policeman, JR--it's obviously Barney Miller when he was a flatfoot.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2005, 03:18:53 PM »

May I mention I too recieved a marvelous package of goodies from that Santa of the West, MBarnum.
CD copies of Lulu's Greatest hits, Miss Toni Fisher, Japanese horror girls "Peanuts" an Indian cd (of course), and 7 episodes of STINGRAY, the puppet show. SO COOL!!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2005, 03:21:10 PM »

Not to scare anyone, but I was just checking a PM on HHW and as I was browsing back and forward through my inbox and outbox, the word "Hacker?" appeared, as a question just like that. Has anyone else ever seen that? Hopefully nobody is trying to hack this site.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2005, 03:22:53 PM »

Today they arrive in Covington KY and have a buffet dinner on the Belle of Cincinnati (a riverboat).  

Did you have to add the parenthetical thus depriving those of us with adventurous minds a delighful fanatsy!

"Bufet Dinner on the Belle of Cincinnati" - a delightful excursion into Nyotaimori  - Naked Sushi. A succulant repast of fried country ham, grits, greens and red-eye gravy served on an appropriately un-adorned belle of the grand old south.

Brings backs visions of A Clockwork Orange:

der Brucer

(Rumor has it there is a male version; usually pronounced nantaimori.")  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 03:24:17 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2005, 03:25:40 PM »

My agent doesn't seem motivated to get the book out there (time for a new agent, methinks), but we did send it to Rob Reiner's company, since we are acquainted - that was a year ago, and there the three books sit, unread.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2005, 04:19:49 PM »

Good Evening!

What a beautiful day it was here in New York City.  Sunny, breezy, not too hot, not too cold... just wonderful.

And I started my day off wonderfully with the first orchestra rehearsal for The Golden Apple.  I've never listened closely to the score, although, I know I have the OCR in my collection.  The piece is rounding out the Bard Music Festival's summer season which was devoted to Aaron Copland and his circle - and influence.  Boy, is there a lot of that in The Golden Apple - especially the "western" sounding material.

I also got to catch up a bit with Nick Archer who is playing piano in the orchestra.  Nick was the conductor for A Little Night Music at the Kennedy Center, and he's one helluva pianist.  Great chops, as they say.

After rehearsal, I had the honor of lunching with DR elmore and his pal, Jonathan Tunick, who is conducting this performance of The Golden Apple.  We ended up in his old stomping grounds - Mr. Tunick is an alumnus of The Juilliard School, and Riverside Church is right around the corner from the "old" Juilliard (now Manhattan School of Music).  Stories were told, memories were shared.  A very nice way to spend the afternoon.  And on the subway ride downtown, Mr. Tunick passed on a bit of "news" to me which brought a smile to my face.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2005, 04:33:55 PM »

I spent the rest of the afternoon running around trying to find a Kinko's where the printers for their computer stations actually worked!  Good grief!  I even volunteered at one place to "fix" it for them since it looked like all that needed to be done was to reboot the network connection - otherwise known as turning the printer off and then back on - but I was told that since I was not an employee...  They told me I could just send the page I needed to be printed to the "back", but then that would take at least 10 minutes for them to process and bring to the counter.  So...

Since I was about a week overdue for a haircut, I headed down to Chelsea Barber to get my hair cut.  And Chris did a fine job.  I shall have to ask for him directly next time.  It's one of those cuts where it makes me look like I've lost some weight.  :)

And then it was over to Kinko's on 24th... The printers worked there.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2005, 04:36:43 PM »

And now I'm doing laundry... And I'm thinking that once my laundry is done, I may head down to Therapy...  Hmm... We shall see....
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2005, 04:40:51 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  I hadn't intended to be so busy today, what with operating on three hours of sleep, but I really haven't stopped since this morning.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2005, 04:53:29 PM »

DR JRand -- are you familiar with a production of "Plain and Fancy" being done in or near Nappanee?

DR Ron Pulliam - As DR Jason stated, I did do my time at the Acres one summer - I believe back in 1997.  I did State Fair, The Music Man, Shenandoah and The Baker's Wife.  Oh, and Plain and Fancy, of course.  It was a "tough" summer, but I made some very dear friends while I was there.  You had to have friends while you were there that summer to survive (unfortunately).  I admire Richard Pletcher - the owner of the Acres - for his chutzpah, but that triple repertory schedule is a killer.

In fact, that was only the second gig where I ended up taking the "out clause" in my contract.  I was offered my first job at Ford's Theatre - All I Really Needed To Know I Learned in Kindergarten (with Bonnie Franklin and James Whitmore, among others) - and I took it, and gave them my notice.  Four weeks notice in fact, when all that I was required to give them was two weeks.  Well... To put that whole summer in perspective, the "Artistic Director" at the time did not start looking for my replacement until four days before I was leaving.  So...  I ended up spending my final 36 hours there teaching the new guy the two current shows that were currently running - Shenandoah and Plain and Fancy - as well as bringing him up to speed on The Baker's Wife that was currently in rehearsal.  -And then I drove home that Sunday night.  Straight home.  I left Nappannee around 9:00 that evening, and pulled into Richmond around 9:00 the next morning.  12 hours, and only stopped once for gas.

And 24 hours later, I started at Ford's Theatre.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2005, 04:57:14 PM »

OH...

And for a few years after that, my friend, Leigh, and I would respond accordingly when asked:

Where did you work last summer?
The Round Barn Theatre at Amish Acres Never Work There!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up