Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FRUITFUL DAY SANS FRUIT  (Read 25746 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE FRUITFUL DAY SANS FRUIT
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2005, 06:46:22 AM »

I never saw THE KILLING OF SISTER GEORGE on stage (I understand it was a visceral experience on the stage), but I did see that first DVD release of it. The acting was exemplary, but I'm not sure I'd be interested in seeing it again any time soon.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2005, 06:47:48 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page 2 Dance ! ! ! ![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2005, 06:49:07 AM »

And I do wish whoever owns the rights to the film of THE BOYS IN THE BAND would release it to DVD. I have it on VHS, but I'd rather have a better transfer, better sound (no tape hiss), and the entire image.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2005, 06:49:50 AM »

Ah, still going my way, by myself.

Ben

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2005, 07:04:48 AM »

And I'm in for a quick visit then back to work.

I do remember controversy surrounding Boys in the Band, especially when it was revived by a Gay theatre company in Minneapolis in the late 70s. "Why are you doing this play?" they asked. Unfortunately, it wasn't a very good production but in spite of all the flaws, I do like the play and the movie. I always wanted to play Donald. He doesn't do much in the main section but those opening and closing scenes with Michael are great.

FJL

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2005, 07:33:36 AM »

The 1970's revival of WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF certainly caused a lot of controversy at the Yeshivah of Flatbush High School.  One of the boys (I'll call him Keith because that was his name), whose parents had taken him to see the play, took to using one of the expressions for a part of the female anatomy in normal conversation as a result of seeing the play.  One of the young women, at whom he addressed this expression repeatedly, finally had her mother call Keith's mother to ask her to tell him to stop.   Keith pretended to be clueless as to why it was Ok to use an expression like that (I'll clean it up as "angel boobs" for purposes of this posting) on a Broadway stage but not at school, but complied when ordered to do so by his mother.  These days, the girl would have gotten the school involved, but the girl was embarrassed to discuss it with the school's authorities, apparently.

SPOILER RE THE FILM ODE TO BILLY JOE

Controversy also ensued at Yeshivah of Flatbush over, of all things, the movie ODE TO BILLY JOE.  There was much dissatisfaction from some limited but vocal circles about the reason the movie gave for Billy Joe McAllister jumping off the Tallahatchee Bridge - namely, that he was gay.  Even as teenagers, some of us thought this was a terrible message to send in a movie marketed toward a youngish audience.  But this controversy seemed to be limited to our school.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 07:37:34 AM by FJL »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2005, 09:21:13 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, and awaiting the arrival of Mr. Nick Redman, as she of the Evil Eye is here and may cast her gaze my way at any moment.

As I've said here, Naomi Watts' performance in Mulholland Drive is one of the five greatest in the last two decades.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2005, 09:21:50 AM »

Ginny, you must tell Dino (at the piano) that he is legendary and invoked almost daily right here at haineshisway.com.

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2005, 09:30:27 AM »

BK,
Sorry I was E and T yesterday and didn't comment on the book issue. I would report it to the State Attorney General where he is. It isn't about having damages to sue, it's about comsumer fraud and if he is prosecuted you would receive restitution.

Internet sales are federal offenses investigated by the Postal Inspectors, but the AG would most likely do a referral if that is appropriate.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2005, 10:01:31 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the celebrity show.  More when I return.  Keep the home fries burning.

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2005, 10:15:36 AM »

Ginny, you must tell Dino (at the piano) that he is legendary and invoked almost daily right here at haineshisway.com.

But that means I'd actually have to GO to the concert  :P
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2005, 10:26:47 AM »

TOD:  The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover and Madonna Truth or Dare.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2005, 10:27:52 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

:)

After sleeping in a bit this morning, I was treated to a brunch made by one of my roommates.  Faith was really in the mood for pancakes, so she made pancakes - from scratch! - for everyone.  Plus some turkey bacon.  Quite good, and it was nice spending some time with the people I'm currently living with.

I just finished washing the dishes, and now I'm just trying to remember what I'm supposed to do today... If there's anything to be done...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2005, 10:29:34 AM »

And a big Thank You to all the DRs who were able to join me last night at La Cocina, and another thank you to those of you who were there in spirit.  Nothing like celebrating one's birthday among friends and/or in the thoughts of friends.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2005, 10:32:37 AM »

And another Thank You to DR elmore for letting me tag along to The Golden Apple rehearsals.  Yesterday was such a thrill.  That music.  Those lyrics.  The singers.  The orchestra.  Musical theatre heaven.

It was a great pleasure meeting some of the cast members: Nancy Opel, Ken Jennings, Ann Crumb, etc.  And I have to say that Howard McGillin still makes me swoon.

...It truly was a wonderful part of my birthday week.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2005, 10:40:55 AM »

Hmmm...  Cutting Edge Plays:

Basically anything by Joe Orton.  -In their original, unedited, uncensored versions.
And I guess that for it's time, Osborne's Look Back In Anger would have been considered a bit controversial.
Assassins
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2005, 10:55:53 AM »

The ponds were dried up, so few birds were around.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2005, 12:11:03 PM »

Hmmm...

3:11 here on the east coast, and we're still on Page Two?!?!?!

I can hear the hum of the bitch-slapping machine warming up.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2005, 12:19:03 PM »

Hi, Jose - What's next on your professional agenda?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2005, 12:33:49 PM »

Hi, Jose - What's next on your professional agenda?

Funny you should ask...  I'm meeting with a producer later this afternoon to discuss a project.  Unfortunately, unless they say some "magic words", I'm gonna have to turn it down.  It was great to be recommended for it by a couple of people, but it would basically be fiscally irresponsible for me to take it right now, if you get my drift.  Yes, it would be a great project to work on, and there's a level of exposure involved, but I would end up taking myself out of circulation for the next five weeks or so.  I would only be available one day a week for freelance work if I took the gig.  And, frankly, what I could make in one day of freelancing, I would be making for the whole five weeks.  So...

I also think I'm not the right fit for the piece.  Or vice versa.  Again, we'll talk for a bit, and we'll see what happens, but I'm pretty sure I'll be turning it down.  Ah, well...

Otherwise, I have a few more audition days lined up, as well as the Fall SETC auditions in Charlotte in two weeks.  *Oh, must remember to book my flight!  I'll be pounding the pavement a bit more next week, just getting my face in front of people again.  "Yes, I'm really in New York City now."

I head back down to DC for Damn Yankees at Arena Stage starting November 8, and that will take me through till February 5.  And the spring is "bubbling" right now.  A couple of very nice options to consider right now.  Nice to have the options.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2005, 12:35:00 PM »

OK... Time to get ready to head out.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2005, 01:02:38 PM »

BIG BROTHER SPOILER LIVE FEEDS RANT.

Well April nominated janelle and howie a couple of days ago, and today was the veto.  Ape and Maggot approached Howie/Janelle about not having James play veto for them, so they could backdoor him.  April and Maggie were clear that if they did allow james to play, then they would come after them.

Anyhow howie/janelle agreed to the deal and did not have james play for them.  April won the veto, and now apparently her and maggie and beau and ivette are deciding what they should do.  It does look like maggie is telling ape to use the veto and to nominate james.  But it is slightly crazy to me that they are even having this discussion.  They made a deal with howie and janelle and told them to "trust them". And even though they are liars (maggot and yappy), howie and janelle had to trust them because they knew how much they wanted james out.  I find it crazy that these two cannot keep their word.  I mean they are most likely going to keep their word in the end.  But really they should not need to discuss and re-discuss this, since they already gave their word to howie/janelle.

Btw, janelle won something (a trip) and had a veto necklace around her neck. So they were reporting she won. :(  So for a few minutes i was very happy.

I suppose it would have been quite interesting if ivette had won POV. I wonder if she would have broken off from the other maggots, to secure her, beau and james a spot in the F3.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 01:06:01 PM by Jennifer »

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2005, 01:03:35 PM »

I head back down to DC for Damn Yankees at Arena Stage starting November 8, and that will take me through till February 5.  And the spring is "bubbling" right now.  A couple of very nice options to consider right now.  Nice to have the options.

If we get this grant I've been working on, I might get to go to Washington in December.   That's a big IF and a big MIGHT, but it would be fun to see Damn Yankees - I've never been to Arena Stage.

Best wishes for making the right decision on the other thing.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2005, 01:49:42 PM »

My goodness! Two movies and three WILL & GRACE episodes down, a one hour nap taken, and it's still not 5 p.m. yet.

Long day.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2005, 01:52:43 PM »

I started this afternoon with Norma Shearer's Oscar-winning performance in THE DIVORCEE. I had not seen this entire movie before though I had seen the last hour or so of it. The first thirty minutes contained some surprising plot points.

Amazing that Robert Montgomery was in this film and he wasn't one of the two main suitors after Norma's hand. He certainly became an audience favorite very quickly.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2005, 01:57:00 PM »

After THE DIVORCEE, I thought I'd try stars other than Norma Shearer so I picked ROBERTA. Like FLYING DOWN TO RIO, this is rather a Fred and Ginger movie kind of by accident. They do a couple of dances here, but they aren't really the primary couple of the film. Irene Dunne and Randolph Scott become the primary couple of the show.

Did the Broadway version of ROBERTA contain a fashion show like both movie versions did?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2005, 01:58:44 PM »

Let me get this straight - fifty-four posts???  This will NOT do, oh, no, this will not do.  We will not be having lazy hainsies/kimlets sitting on their butt cheeks, we will not be having errant and truant behavior, and we WILL be bitch-slapping those who are from here to eternity and hell and back.  Now is not a time for slacking - I haven't mentioned it yet, but we've been having one of our best months, and considering that last August was our fifth WORST month ever, that is extraordinary.  So, let's not drag it all down into the abyss in the last few days of August.  Also, amazingly, we are well on our way to our newest plateau - 140,000 posts, which we've done in record time.  So, up and at 'em, you lazy loafers.  Post like the wind.  Post like a gazelle doing ninety miles per hour on a tricycle.  

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2005, 02:00:23 PM »

I still have two Norma Shearer movies left on the DVR: THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET and ROMEO AND JULIET along with Sophia Loren in TWO WOMEN.

I think I'm going to save them for tomorrow and instead put in THE PERFECT STORM tonight. That will make a REAL change of pace from these black and white films in 1.37:1 ratio. I'm looking forward to something with widescreen and BIG surround sound.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2005, 02:01:45 PM »

My goodness, bk, I'm trying; I'm trying!!  ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2005, 02:03:23 PM »

The Mickey Sinardi Celebrity Show was, as it was last time, pretty much a bust, although there were at least double the number of attendees.  Given the fact that last time there were a total of about twenty attendees, that just doesn't cut the mustard or even the ketchup.  Nick, Pogue, and I roamed around the room, but it was mostly dreary beyond repair.  June Lockhart was there, along with Jon Provost, and two descendents of Lassie.  Chris Atkins was there, coming on to anything that had breasts and a thong.  We talked to Gregory Walcott and I even bought his book.  We talked to Ron Harper, who was very nice, and we had a nice chat with Yvette Vickers.  Margaret O'Brien was there, but Robert Horton was a no-show.  And Pogue and I spent a few minutes with Mr. Jonathan Winters, who asked where Pogue was from and then proceeded to do a five-minute routine in a Kentucky accent, that had us on the floor.

Here is a photograph of Mr. Nick Redman and Mr. Charles Pogue, taken at the actual Mickey Sinardi Celebrity Show.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up