Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN A TRICE  (Read 25992 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:NOTES IN A TRICE
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2003, 08:31:08 AM »

Oh, boy, here we go again, just like yesterday. SOme SImon works that click for some fall flat for othersAnd so it is with me, too. I'm SO glad we're all friends here and respect each other even when we violently disagree.

Best Simon play on stage: THE ODD COUPLE

Best Simon play in the movies: THE SUNSHINE BOYS

Best Simon musical: hard because I like LITTLE ME, SWEET CHARITY, PROMISES PROMISES, and THEY"RE PLAYING OUR SONG. (More about GOODBYE GIRL in a minute). I guess I'd pick PROMISES PROMISES because I like its score so much.

Favorite original Simon movie script: MURDER BY DEATH (for a mystery buff, it's absolutely hysterical).

Least favorite Simon play: STAR SPANGLED GIRL

Least Favorite Simon movie: LAST OF THE RED HOT LOVERS

Least favorite Simon musical: THE GOODBYE GIRL

Least favorite original Simon movie script: THE GOODBYE GIRL

I agree with bk about LAST OF THE RED HOT LOVERS. Wonderful on stage with James Coco; painful on film with Alan Arkin (and I've always thought Alan Arkin was horribly undervalued as an actor.) A beautiful and funny play ruined by bad casting and direction.

THE GOODBYE GIRL is one of those outside-looking-in movies for me. Everyone I know adored it, and I sat there stone faced and bored. Couldn't stand Quinn Cummings or RIchard Dreyfuss in the film. But as a show of faith, I bought a used copy of the DVD ($5) to give it another chance, but it has sat on the DVDs-to-watch shelf for a year or two. I can't summon up much enthusiasm for giving it a second chance.

I really love the Eugene Jerome trilogy, especially BILOXI BLUES. None of the movie versions quite captured the wonderful atmosphere of the stage versions, but BILOXI came closest.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2003, 08:36:39 AM »

There's my favorite smilie, with this one a close second:

I like The Odd Couple, and Simon's Rewrites is, indeed, near to our hearts.

16 days left at The Firm!

Q:  Does anyone know the French lyrics to Stephen Schwartz's "Chanson"?  And can anyone translate them?  Thanks.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Ben

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2003, 08:40:01 AM »

The one Simon work that I really do not like at all and makes me think, did he write that? is God's Favorite. Unfathomable to me. Oh, well.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2003, 08:41:33 AM »

Those Disney Treasures were delayed because the demand for them has been so high that the company simply couldn't produce them and meet quotas right in the midst of the frenzy of orders for FINDING NEMO. Disney's had to go back and repress that a time or two since it came out a mere two weeks ago. Obviously, its the biggest selling DVD ever.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2003, 09:09:48 AM »

It's a lovely day in the neighborhood
A lovely day for a neighbor
Would you be mine?

Would you be mine?

Hahahahahaahahahahahaaha!  What a GLORIOUS DAY!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2003, 09:14:18 AM »

Make it stop raining!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2003, 09:20:38 AM »

They've been calling for rain here for the last two days, but we've seen nary a drop. The sky is overcast today, however, so some showers later today wouldn't surprise me at all.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2003, 09:21:19 AM »

My favorite Neil Simon:

"Only When I Laugh" -- a triumph of a movie with magnficent performances from Marsha Mason, Jimmy Coco and especially Joan Hackett; and a wonderfully warm performance by Kristy McNichol!

"Seems Like Old Times" -- I love the movie with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase...just a wonderful time-passer and lots of great laughs.  Charles Grodin is hysterical.  And those DOGS!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2003, 09:28:39 AM »

I really loved ONLY WHEN I LAUGH, too. It made me laugh and cry a lot. James Coco was robbed of an Oscar for that one. John Gielgud won that year for ARTHUR, a hilarious turn but hardly a finished character performance.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2003, 09:29:51 AM »

This is a test.  I am in reply (not quick reply) and instead of getting bold the screen shows the codes for bold. ???   The question mark was supposed to be a Smilie.  Even when I hit preview this is what it shows.  I will post this and see if it comes out right there.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2003, 09:31:08 AM »

Okay - I see.  It works but it doesn't show on the screen... even in preview.

I tried the WYSIWYG but that erased everything and I couldn't post with it.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2003, 09:32:15 AM »

Ah, I'm afraid I don't know nearly as much Neil Simon as I should, but I love the book of Sweet Charity and the Goodbye Girl was a great movie, IMHO.  I have BK's RCR of Little Me, but I don't really know the book of that show.  I'd love to read it though!

Emily--LOL!  That smiley is indeed Macdeath.

Joy--Glad to see you posting again!  We missed the lovely Mrs. Katz!  (Mrs. Dewey-Katz at least...I'm not sure how you have your last name now)

Here's my smiley selection...he's crazzzzzzzy!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2003, 09:51:22 AM »

Ann  -- Yes, I survived both Sunday night’s windstorm, and last night’s storm, as well.  I was beginning to have my doubts both nights, but I’m still here. (Oh, a Sondheim reference)  And by the way young lady, exactly which Safeway store were you walking to in the dark of night?  It had better be either the Proctor store or the Pearl Street store.  Those are about the only two that I would consider safe to walk to at night.

Jed (of the handsome photo) – Congratulations to your whole family on the honor bestowed upon them by Central Washington State University.  Having personally known and respected your grandfather, I can think of no one worthier of having the black box Theater named after him.  Hmm, I wonder if knowing your grandfather is the reason my photo looks like your uncle.

BK – I am so happy you said that about Mad Mad Mad World.  I thought I was the only one in the world who didn’t think it was one of the funniest movies they had ever seen.  I enjoyed seeing the film, especially back on the big Cinerama screen, but it isn’t a movie that I enjoy watching again and again, or one that I would want to own.  Last time I tried watching it, I got bored about half way through, and never did finish it.  At the same time, I believe several people here at HHW had some very negative comments about the remake of The In-Laws.  Personally, I didn’t really enjoy the first version, so I did not hold out high expectations about the remake.  However, I found the remake to be delightful and at times, laugh out loud funny.  (Well, that ought to stir up some comments!)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2003, 09:51:53 AM »

My favourite Neil Simon work is easily the film of THE GOODBYE GIRL...everybody at their peak - Simon, Mason, and certainly Dreyfuss!

As a writer by profession, I frown upon smilies, emoticons, or any visual aid that one feels should enhance the written word.  If writing is the chosen form of communication, then communicate with words...not hieroglyphics.  If you ever see me using a smilie or emoticon, kill me!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2003, 09:55:10 AM »

Charles Pogue:  :) (I HEAR ya!)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 09:55:46 AM by Ron Pulliam »

steveg

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2003, 09:56:18 AM »

I agree with WEL regarding Neil Simon's original book for "Little Me."  I remember laughing hysterically at both the book and the performances in the original production. Although I was only 15 at the time, I still vividly remember the show and regret that I only saw it once. I still have the Life magazine feature story about it. Unfortunately, I never found the same level of hilarity at either the revisical (with James Coco and Victor Garber sharing the many husband/lover roles) nor the Roundabout revival with Martin Short.  There were no elements in either subsequent production that matched the original.  I also like Simon's book for "Sweet Charity" and "Promises, Promises."  As for his plays, "Barefoot in the Park" and "Odd Couple" were the best laugh riots and "Star Spangled Girl" the worst.
I'm just a bagel on a plate of onion rolls.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2003, 10:01:02 AM »

WEL: You cannot see smilies or any bold, italics, etc. when in preview mode.  Just post.  Don't preview.  If there's a mistake in your post, just 'modify'.  Simple as pie.  Isn't it amusing that the person who wanted the smiley contest hasn't even made an appearance today.  Bitch-slapping will be the order of the day.

Emily

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2003, 10:04:39 AM »

That (A. Brockman's words) "shameless hussy" Julianna was certainly looking attractive at yesterday's dinner with Skippy.  

Should I be jealous? I think so.... ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

William E. Lurie

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2003, 10:05:54 AM »

Matt---

Thanks for the info on the Disney Treasures being delayed because of FINDING NEMO.  However even though it is selling so great it is certainly not in short supply.  I was in several video stores over the weekend and they all had large displays and numerous copies of the film in both DVD and VHS.

Since the Disney Treasures are numbered limited editions, I would think they could squeeze them in.  Do they expect to be pressing more copies of FINDING NEMO for 5 months?  I think they are using that as an excuse for some other reason they do not wish to disclose.

By the way, Disney just shut down production on some new animated feature that has gone under a number of titles (the latest being "A Few Good Ghosts") because they decided "it was not very good".

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2003, 10:06:30 AM »

Today's Topic

My favorite Neil Simon plays and films would have to be Chapter Two and Barefoot in the Park, with The Odd Couple coming in a close second.  Playing the lead in Chapter Two was one of the highlights of my career.  I have never done Barefoot, but I am still holding out to play the neighbor someday.

Musical-wise, I love Promises, Promises.  I was sorry that they never made it into a film (yes, I know The Apartment).  I still think, if it was done correctly, it could be delightful.  However, you couldn't update the show, but instead you would have to make it a loving and gentle satire of the era.
“One thing’s universal,

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2003, 10:18:27 AM »

One must NEVER refer to Ms. Julianna A. Hansen as a shameless hussy. That is a very ugly term which we cannot tolerate here at HHW...

And oh dear reader Emily... I read yesterday you were engaged and STILL seeking my hand. That might be more shameless hussieness ;) ;) ;)

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2003, 10:29:08 AM »

And she called ME a skank!  :P

HollyLynn

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2003, 10:29:41 AM »

Favorite Neil Simon Play--The Sunshine Boys--I just wish he had created a female version!

Favorite Musical--Promises, Promises

Hopefully working my way up on the karma scale...

HollyLynn  :P  (my first smiley face in a post!!)   ;D (my second)   8) (my third)

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2003, 10:32:15 AM »

Maya, thank you: I am sort of back, just here and there, as you see.  My last name is Dewing and I'm keeping it!  As the lyric from "Our Wedding:  The Musical" goes:

"Don't throw a bouquet, it leads to spats
And for heaven's sake, don't take the name Joy Katz"
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2003, 10:35:30 AM »

LOL, Joy!

Sorry I butchered the last name!  I DID remember that it had the "dew" in it!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2003, 10:41:09 AM »

"Sharon, where is Glocca Morra?"

"Well, you see, it's always somewhere.  Over there?"

I'm waxing very nostalgic today and need a Petula Clark fix in the biggest way.

I've been looking for weeping willows and brooks so I can ask them how things are in Glocca Morra this fine day!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2003, 10:41:15 AM »

Ann  -- BK – I am so happy you said that about Mad Mad Mad World.  I thought I was the only one in the world who didn’t think it was one of the funniest movies they had ever seen.  I enjoyed seeing the film, especially back on the big Cinerama screen, but it isn’t a movie that I enjoy watching again and again, or one that I would want to own.  Last time I tried watching it, I got bored about half way through, and never did finish it. [/I])

I didn't care "Mad Mad World" the first time around.  The second time I laughed a bit more but will be very happy never to see the movie again.

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2003, 10:51:12 AM »

Hello all!
back from NYC and the new Broadway Radio Show was loaded this morning....I'll be recording a special Thanksgiving show this week to be launched on Sunday (or Monday morning, depending on how my weekend goes)

anyway, in NYC I saw Little Shop of Horrors (and taped a fun interview with Kerry Butler in her dressing room), Never Gonna Dance, Wonderful Town, Lypsinka and Avenue Q.....on Monday, I had a fun breakfast with Susan Egan and my pal Alan Wager (another Beauty/Beast alum) which I also recorded part of for an upcoming radio show.....all in all, it was a busy and fun 5 days
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2003, 10:53:57 AM »

I have a male friend, who hyphenated his last name to include his and his wife's surnames.  He said it was the least he could do to honor his bride.  She kept her maiden name, BTW (by the way in internet lingo).

“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2003, 11:06:07 AM »

Thanks, steveg.

May Dorothy Fields forgive me!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up