Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SOPHISTICATED ME  (Read 62755 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SOPHISTICATED ME
« on: September 05, 2005, 12:07:32 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're drinking your Manhattans or martinis, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're just putting on their top hat, white tie, and tails.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 12:10:25 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SOPHISTICATED ME
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 12:10:23 AM »

And the word of the day is: SUPERFLUOUS!

Cillaliz

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 12:10:39 AM »

Well, this is the first time I've been awake for the changing of the notes. Sort of like the changing of the guard!  Now, I must wussburger and try once more to get some sleep

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 12:11:35 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

On the telethon all I hear is, "Thank you SO much."  I HATE that.  Why does the word SO have to be in there - that's all they say, in movies, on TV, in life, "Thank you SO much."  Thank you SO much.  Blechhh.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 12:30:59 AM »

And a very happy birthday to duskglow, whomever they may be.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 12:50:54 AM »

Derek's family have asked me to pass on their thanks for the messages of sympathy and especially for the friendship and support given by this group of caring people.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 04:23:48 AM »

TOD

Since we’re all relaxing on this Labor Day, what is the most difficult job you’ve ever had – the one that had the most labor, and the one that kept you going and going with never a moment’s rest.

I suspect someone will rightfully answer: "Mother".

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 04:29:12 AM »

In today's notes bk commented:

I played Gershwin on the piano (I’m very good as Gershwin whilst sitting on the piano

I was going to point out that he could have found playing the part easier had he climbed down off of the piano, itself,  sat on the piano stool - but considering his fondness for scatology, I shall abstain.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 04:33:37 AM »

Yesterday, FJL noted:

But that smoothly (?) brings me to the topic of what's to become of the Supreme Court - I've tried to engage people in conversation about this, but I seem to have no takers on the subject, at least not on this holiday weekend.

But we tried on Friday, see Supreme Court HHW Posting

der Brucer
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 05:27:34 AM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 05:07:48 AM »

From the AP:

Sep 5, 7:51 AM EDT
Bush to Nominate Roberts As Chief Justice
By JENNIFER LOVEN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Moving swiftly, President Bush will nominate John Roberts to succeed William H. Rehnquist as chief justice, a senior administration source said Monday.

The president was to make the announcement in the Oval Office before leaving for another trip to the hurricane-battered Gulf Coast.

Bush met with Roberts at the White House on Sunday evening for about a half an hour and then offered him the top position at the Supreme Court on Monday morning, the administration official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because Bush had not announced his selection.

Bush already had nominated Roberts to fill the seat of retiring Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. It would just take a little paper shuffling to change the nomination for Rehnquist's seat.

The president still wants Roberts to be on the bench when the Supreme Court resumes its work on Oct. 3, the official said. That means Bush would have to find a new nominee for O'Connor's seat. She has offered to remain on the bench until a successor is seated.

Not, in my opinion, the best move.

Normally, one would expect the President to elevate a sitting Supreme to Chief, or select a very experienced jurist, which Roberts is not.

I preder the play that asks Justice O'Connor to stay on as Chief, then place another Justice nominee before the Senate. Once the composition of the Court is settled, then select your new Chief.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 05:25:59 AM »

More disturbing pet news extracted from an AP Newstory:

Sep 4, 6:31 AM EDT
Katrina Evacuees Distraught Over Lost Pets By MIKE STOBBE
Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA (AP) -- As Valerie Bennett was evacuated from a New Orleans hospital, rescuers told her there was no room in the boat for her dogs. She pleaded. "I offered him my wedding ring and my mom's wedding ring," the 34-year-old nurse recalled Saturday. They wouldn't budge. She and her husband could bring only one item, and they already had a plastic tub containing the medicines her husband, a liver transplant recipient, needed to survive.

Such emotional scenes were repeated perhaps thousands of times along the Gulf Coast last week as pet owners were forced to abandon their animals in the midst of evacuation.

In one example reported last week by The Associated Press, a police officer took a dog from one little boy waiting to get on a bus in New Orleans. "Snowball! Snowball!" the boy cried until he vomited. The policeman told a reporter he didn't know what would happen to the dog.

At the hospital, a doctor euthanized some animals at the request of their owners, who feared they would be abandoned and starve to death. He set up a small gas chamber out of a plastic-wrapped dog kennel.

"The bigger dogs were fighting it. Fighting the gas. It took them longer. When I saw that, I said 'I can't do it,'" said Bennett's husband, Lorne.

Valerie Bennett left her dogs with the anesthesiologist, who promised to care for about 30 staff members' pets on the roof of the hospital, Lindy Boggs Medical Center.
"He said he'd stay there as long as he possibly could," Valerie Bennett recalled, speaking from her husband's bedside at Atlanta's Emory University Hospital.

On Saturday afternoon, she said she saw a posting on a Web site called petfinder.com that said the anesthesiologist was still caring for the animals.

The Bennetts had four animals, including two beloved dogs.
They moved to Slidell, La., in July when Valerie took a job at an organ transplant institute connected to Lindy Boggs. Lorne, a former paramedic, is disabled since undergoing a liver transplant in 2001.

On Saturday, as Hurricane Katrina approached, both went to the hospital to help and took all four animals with them.
They fed their guinea pig and left it in its cage in a patient room. They couldn't refill its empty water bottle because the hospital's plumbing failed Sunday, they said. They poured food on the floor for the cat, but again no water.
"I just hope that they forgive me," Valerie Bennett cried.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 05:29:38 AM by DERBRUCER »

FJL

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 05:40:35 AM »

Dr der Brucer -  Actually, I totally agree with you on the Supreme Court issue.  (I probably should have clarified that I was talking about the people I'd been speaking with during the day yesterday as opposed to people here on the chat board.)

Jobs where I just had to work and work until I couldn't work any more, and then I had to keep on working - there were a couple of all-nighters on tax deadlines back in the 1980's in the years right after law school, but those were kind of exhilarating, and no one ever made me pull those all-nighters, I was generally just excited by the prospect of finishing a difficult task, so that may not count for BK's topic of the day.  

But there was one job during the mid-1990's that was just stultefying and stupefying, where we weren't paid extra for longer hours, so we were just expected to put in hours upon hours.  I had left a job where I'd been for three years to seek out greener pastures (emphasis on green) but only lasted at the new job for about six arduous weeks.  Happily, my old job was still available, so I went back in short order (no cooking jokes, please).  So I've been at my current place doing tax work for thirteen years, minus a breif hiatus.  Luckily, I've never had to fill out an employment application since then; I don't know how to handle the brief six-week job, whether I even need to mention it on an application at this point, or whether it's SUPERFLUOUS, but it was my worst job experience in terms of disrespect for employees' time and llfe outside the office.  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 05:42:30 AM by FJL »

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 06:12:59 AM »

RE: the new Fall TV season.

DR MBarnum, I have a show that i think you will like, it's called 3 wishes, and it comes on Fridays.  It is basically going to a town and making 3 people wishes come true.  I think it will be a tear jerker and along the lines of Ty's Home Makeover show (i forget the exact name).

As for Bones, it just does not sound interesting to me. In fact there are so many shows that sound like CSI copies.  I prefer shows that don't have self-contained stories every week.

DR MattH, I will tape Reunion and see what others say (i know my sis will be watching too).  If people say it is really good i MAY watch.  But so far i only have related, ghost whisperer and martha stewart and shows i will try.

If you get UPN (which you must) the chris rock show is supposed to be the show of the season.

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 06:13:58 AM »

Also, DR MattH, I wonder if you might like the show that is on after Lost (i think it is invasions). I think EW gave it it's "favorites" pick.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2005, 06:33:15 AM »

Good morning, all!  I am so sorry I missed live chat last evening.  It's one of my favorite things.  I'm thrilled it's coming back, and I promise to be at the next one.

Today is a labor day for me:  finish fixes in the GOLDEN APPLE score for the copyist to handle, pack up the cruise singer's charts for tomorrow's shipment, clean off my desk, and begin the Faith Prince charts.  

Worst labor:  The Sorg Paper Company, summer 1966, the worst summer job ever.  Paper mills are already hot because of all the steam, so it was really unbearable in the summer.  My job was dealing with completed sheets of paper, at this end of this long piece of humongous machinery:  the pulp went in one end, rolled around through the machinery and came out as a huge sheet of paper; memeory says the sheets were around 3 ftx3 ft.  These then stacked onto a skid.  When the skid was around 4 ft tall, I had to take the paper on some rolling machinery to a storage space miles away, then go back and begin the  procedure all over again.  As the paper came out of the press (?), I had to block it from flying anywhere but onto the skid of paper sheets.  As a result, both my palms and fingers were covered with minute paper cuts, which hurt like hell.

To add to the misery, it was a shift job; every week I had to change shifts, which is hell on your sleeping patterns.  The worst shift was midnight to 8, because I do not sleep well in daylight.  I would have preferred having one shift the entire summer.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2005, 07:00:31 AM »

I'm up!  I'm up!

And I've caught up.

I know what's GNU and am ready to face the day!

It figures I'd overdo it on my frenzy and then miss the brief return of Swishy Sarah AND a chat.

I was napping through all of it, though.  Not better things to do for me.  Nosir.

Some intriguing posts last night.  Yes, intriguing.  And a cryptic one to ponder.  

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2005, 07:01:37 AM »

Let me state here and now how RELIEVED I am that that DR Matt H put that pesky misfiled laserdisc back in its right place.

WHEW!  The order of the universe as we know it was on the line.

But the lawn ain't mowed...and I'll bet the floor ain't mopped yet, either!

And that makes me wonder....I was set right last week when I suggested the latter be done early.  I was given a mini-treatise on the importance of a disciplined routine being followed...all "t's" crossed and all "i's" dotted.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I guess procrastination is allowed...just not "advance" doings.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 07:05:27 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2005, 07:14:54 AM »

Well, for ME, the schedule must be followed. Otherwise, I don't do ANYTHING, and I end up living in a rat's nest.

Yes, the floor got mopped Saturday morning. The lawn got mowed this morning. The dining room gets cleaned at its usual time today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2005, 07:15:32 AM »

I do not sleep well in daylight

Well, guess we cross you off the Vampire recruitment list!

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2005, 07:15:56 AM »

And, good morning! I got almost 8 hours of sleep last night, most welcome after the last several days of 7 hours or less.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2005, 07:22:42 AM »

In a minor defense of THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY (but very minor because other than the dancing, I think it's a very weak musical, too), when Judy Garland was taken off the picture, much of the original Warren-Gershwin score got dropped, too. "They Can't Take That Away from Me" got put in simply to cover on-stage Garland songs that Ginger simply couldn't sing. Harry Warren was very upset that a song he didn't write ended up in the picture (even though it's clearly the best thing in the movie.)

I think the basic story that Comden and Green came up with is terrible, and Dinah (Ginger) and Josh (Astaire) are both very unlikable folk. And Oscar Levant, who was such a great crony of Freed's, is irriitating, and he's given TWO lengthy set piece piano sequences? One too many.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2005, 07:24:30 AM »

I meant to add that it IS nice to spy Joi Lansing briefly in the film.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2005, 07:26:18 AM »

Another beautiful day here, a very cool morning which made mowing the grass not so uncomfortable. Hopefully, if cooler weather will come back and we don't have much rain, I may only have to do the mowing one more time this year. I'd love that.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2005, 07:26:55 AM »

Thanks for posting the wonderful picture of DR OzDerek. It brought tears to my eyes.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2005, 07:28:35 AM »

The ABC alien series INVASION (Wednesday at 10), I probably won't sample. I really am a LAW & ORDER fan, and of the three alien series, I've made my choice - THRESHOLD on Friday night. I don't like the genre enough to watch more than one.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2005, 07:30:11 AM »

Oh, DR Matt H:  You are much too kind regarding Oscar Levant's "piano scenes."

One is way over-the-top for me.

I don't mind his drollery...but that mug concentrating on playing a classical piece...transcends drollery for me.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 08:13:32 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2005, 07:32:24 AM »

Well, no jopb I've ever earned money for was ever especially difficult.

The hardest thing I ever did was installing the first home theater set-up in someone else's house. It took 13 hours, ending at 3 a.m., and I can't ever remember being so tired, with my back and legs very sore from lifting heavy things, squatting to hook things up in tight-fitting sites around the house (no quips, DR TCB), and my fingertips raw from bits of wire that had schredded them during all those hours.

Danise

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2005, 07:34:45 AM »

Good morning!

And DR Elmore missed one very important part of the chat.   I stayed up past my bed time and made it all the way until eleven!  :D

Thanks for opening the chat on a night when I could stay up, BK.  When you hold it on a "normal" Sunday, I have to get up at 5:30 AM to start to get ready for work so I can't stay up that late.

It's finely starting to cool off down here.  Only 82 F as I type this instead of the 90's.  Fall is upon us.

DR TomovOZ, I'm glad that OzDerick's family got to know that he had friends all over the world.  I'm sure that is a comfort.  He will be missed.

I have to use a four letter word today on Bear and Brandi.  B A T H!  They both need one.   :D And they both know what that word means!  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2005, 07:37:33 AM »

Oh, DR Matt H:  You are must too kind regarding Oscar Levant's "piano scenes."

One is way over-the-top for me.

I don't mind his drollery...but that mug concentrating on playing a classical piece...transcends drollery for me.

I give him props for playing these very difficult pieces at very rapid tempos. But in his full blown ego, he had the nerve to say he had filmed his playing "live." He didn't. Both his piano numbers were prerecorded.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2005, 07:40:24 AM »

Is there nothing more embarrassing than Ginger Rogers' French "dramatic" scene at the end of The Barkleys of Broadway?

Hardest job I ever had:  Working summers at Amercian Book Company in Cincinnati, packing textbooks coming off an assembly line.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up