Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BERRIES  (Read 90118 times)

Ben

Re:THE BERRIES
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2005, 07:30:53 AM »

I am listening right now to a repeat broadcast of a glorious interview with Barbara Cook. It was done earlier this year by Edward Seckerson for his program Stage and Screen. The interview was done a couple of months after Wally Harper's death. The interview has wonderful tracks from various shows and some beautiful and touching talk about theatre, performing and, at the end, Wally Harper. If you've listened before, it's worth hearing again. If you've never listened to the program, here is the link. Hie thee over to BBC 3 and listen. The program will be available for hearing until next Monday, September 12 till about 11am New York time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/stageandscreen/

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2005, 07:55:46 AM »

GOod morning!

I didn't sleep all that well being awakened twice with bad dreams (maybe I shouldn't have eaten that half bowl of soup at 10 p.m.), but I felt better once I got my first walk of the season accomplished this morning! Now, I'm looking forward to doing this daily. Very refreshing though traffic was crazy with school buses jamming the roads and many cars with folks getting back to their work routines. Thanksfully, I don't have to cross any major streets in my circular walk around a few blocks.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2005, 08:01:08 AM »

DR MattH, re: your comments about not wanting to read about Veronica Mars in the Entertainment Weekly.

Ha, you and I are alike, because i did the same thing (and avoided that section like the plague). But my sis (who doesn't watch the show) said she was pretty sure it didn't say anything about the killer.  That's good, but i'm still not going to read it!

So which shows will you watch? Their online section (ew.com) has 10 shows that they say people should watch (prison break, reunion, how i met your mother, kitchen confidential, my name is earl, invasion, martha stewart, everybody loves chris, 3 wishes, and commander in chief).

Of those I will wtach prison break and martha stewart.  And I may try reunion or kitchen confidential.

After DR Michael Shayne said yesterday there was no information about the killer present, I did read the VERONICA MARS (and all of the other descriptions) in the issue this morning.

Of the EW suggestions, I will be sampling REUNION, HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL, and MY NAME IS EARL.

As I said earlier, I will also be sampling THRESHOLD and NIGHT STALKER. In addition, after I read their descriptions, I'm adding INCONCEIVABLE to my list of shows to sample.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2005, 08:01:58 AM »

And, of course, KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL and HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER come on opposite each other. Two new comedies trying to establish themselves. Argh!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2005, 08:04:40 AM »

TOD:

CDs:
A Little Night Music OCR
South Pacific OCR
Ella Fitzgerald -- The Rodgers and Hart Songbook (two discs which I'm counting as one)
Dave Matthews Band -- Crash
Aaron Copeland -- Appalachian Spring (conducted by Bernstein)

Movies:
Dr Zhivago
Citizen Kane
Moonstruck
To Kill A Mockingbird
Singing In The Rain

Books:
To Kill A Mockingbird
Murder On The Oriental Express
The Road Less Travelled
The Plays of William Shakespeare
Surviving A Deserted Island For Dummies
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2005, 08:10:17 AM »

GReetings all.

Thanks for the link to Americares, DR Cillaliz.  I will check it out. (Fancy new avatar, too!)

TOD:
Movies:
Titanic (Stanwyck/Webb)
Titanic (Winslet/Decaprio)
Raise the Titanic
Poseidon Adventure
The Last Voyage

CDs
Follies (Paper Mill)
1776 (OBC)
Fiddler (OBC)
Simply Stresiand
Toss up between Liz Callaway (On & Off Broadway) & Judy at Carnegie Hall

Books:
Catcher in the Rye
Buddies
The Season
Dorian Gray
Death in Venice (I would finally be FORCED to finish it!)

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2005, 08:14:48 AM »

Five films I'd want to have with me on a desert island:

THE MIRACLE WORKER
THE NUN'S STORY
MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS
EVIL UNDER THE SUN
REAR WINDOW

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2005, 08:15:01 AM »

The real movie answers would be:
FUNNY GIRL
VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
ALL ABOUT EVE

I'll get back to you on the other two.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2005, 08:25:24 AM »

Five books to have with me on a desert isle:

BROADWAY MUSICALS: 101 Greatest Shows
SONDHEIM & CO.
HALLIWELL'S FILMGOER'S COMPANION
BROADWAY MUSICALS ON RECORD
A REMEMBRANCE OF THINGS PAST

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2005, 08:28:05 AM »

Five CDs to have:

JUDY GARLAND AT CARNEGIE HALL
FOLLIES (Papermill Playhouse)
SWEENEY TODD (OBC)
MAME (OBC)
CAROUSEL (film soundtrack)

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2005, 08:29:28 AM »

In addition to loaning me NATIONAL TREASURE, my friend also loaned me a movie he wanted me to see: WHITE NOISE.

Now, this looks like a horror film to me, so my question is, has anyone seen it, and if so, what did you think?

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2005, 08:31:59 AM »

Hope the Vixter has a good 7th grade opening day experience. Is her school a 6-8 school, or the old junior high model 7-9 or 7-8).

When I first started teaching, our junior high was simply 7-8, and I had all seventh graders that first year. I remember how scared many of them looked that first day being at a much bigger school and having to change classes every period. They were so unaccustomed to the entire routine, but I suspect the Vixter has none of those qualms.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2005, 08:33:43 AM »

DR Matt--Congrats!  You've hit the 9000 mark!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2005, 08:35:30 AM »

The mail hasn't come yet, but I'm expecting several packages this week, and among those DVDs I'm expecting today is RED GARTERS which I am SO looking forward to seeing again after at least 20 years away from it.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2005, 08:36:11 AM »

And DR Stuart--your next post will be the address number of our house in Camden, NJ--1118 Jackson Street.  Isn't that exciting?
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2005, 08:36:47 AM »

DR Matt--Congrats!  You've hit the 9000 mark!

OMG! Thanks for noticing that and mentioning it. I hadn't been looking over there at the totals at all.   :o

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2005, 08:40:47 AM »

Please refresh my memory DR Jed (or DR Ann). What show is DR Jed currently rehearsing?

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2005, 08:42:56 AM »

And so sorry to read that your rehearsals haven't been going smoothly DR JRand.

Did you want the part of Joseph when you auditioned or did you get the role you wanted? If you wanted Joseph, I know it must gall the crap out of you to have to see someone botch his way through the part that you yourself could have done so much with. That has happened to me SO many times, and it's maddening to stand on the sides and watch someone else massacre a part you know you could have really gone to town with.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2005, 08:45:14 AM »

I just caught up with Friday & Saturday's posts and see Imissed Matt H"s birthday!!

So ...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY WISHES TO DR MATT H!!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2005, 08:52:43 AM »

DR MattH, I am up to the same episode as you are of Veronica Mars. If I read the blurb will it spoil anything? I don't want to read anything that I don't already know.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2005, 08:53:34 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES TO DR MATT  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2005, 08:55:56 AM »

All is forgiven, dear Electronic Hat.   ;D

I have been E&T getting my charts ready for the upcoming Tigard Pops Fall/Winter session.  This is a fantastic community choir with about 50 voices.  Some semi-professionals, some who can't read a note of music, but they all sound divoon, if I do say so myself.  This time we'll be doing our usual eclectic assortment of original arrangements:  Blue Suede Shoes, Can't Help Falling in Love, Something About You (Level 42), Grateful (Bucchino), Autumn Lullaby (original), Seasons of Love, Merry Christmas Everyone (original), Feels Like Home (Newman), 100 Years (Five for Fighting).  I defy any other community choir to match that kind of variety.  ;)

Speaking of missing frames in Astaire/Rogers, did anyone else get that split second of black screen toward the end of Top Hat?   I even went back and watched frame by frame and there were indeed a couple frames of black.  It's towards the end, when a bunch of old guys are applauding in one of the opera boxes.

Vibes for Vixter.  Tomorrow is the first day of 4th grade for Gabe and 1st grade for Zach.  What will I do with 6 hours a day by myself (ooh, a Fred Astaire reference, kind of).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 08:57:31 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2005, 08:56:46 AM »

So many birthdays, so little time (yesterday was Zach's).

If I forgot, Happy Birthday, Matt!!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2005, 08:59:53 AM »

Hope the Vixter has a good 7th grade opening day experience. Is her school a 6-8 school, or the old junior high model 7-9 or 7-8).

When I first started teaching, our junior high was simply 7-8, and I had all seventh graders that first year. I remember how scared many of them looked that first day being at a much bigger school and having to change classes every period. They were so unaccustomed to the entire routine, but I suspect the Vixter has none of those qualms.

The Vixter is in a 6 -8 school.  The system here is we have two  K - 2 schools which each have about 500 students, then the entire district attends a  3 - 5 school , then a 6 -8 and finally a 9 -12  high school.  When I was a student here we had  five K - 4 schools, then two 5 - 9 schools and the high school was only 10 -12.  There were peopel at my high shool graduation  that I had never seen until the day we graduated  in the "same" class!

She is used tio the routine this year but is concerned about the bullying which nothing is done about.  In the two former schools the teachers  were strict about teasing, bullying, fighting, language etc... and then the middle school has a laissez faire attitude and the kids, coming from strict restrictions to absolutely none, turn into the kids from Lord of the Flies

She also had a couple of nasty nasty teachers last year.  In an effort of trying not to make waves I didn't raise  a fuss and told her to "try to deal with it, you;re going to run into nasty people  out in the worlkd your whole life" but I have decided that this year if we have any more overtly nasty teachers I am going to request a transfer.  If you don't like kids  then you sure as heck shouldn't be a teacher.  

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2005, 09:00:46 AM »

DR MattH, I am up to the same episode as you are of Veronica Mars. If I read the blurb will it spoil anything? I don't want to read anything that I don't already know.

No, DR Jennifer, it won't spoil anything, so you can read it without fear if you wish. Honestly, I didn't find that it had that much information about the show at all except there will be a new season-long mystery for her to solve this year, but I already knew that. It spends more time talking about the new regulars coming onto the show.

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2005, 09:02:53 AM »

I really must start proofing my posts...how can I spell "laissez faire" correctly and misspell "world", "people" and "to"!

vixmom

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2005, 09:03:55 AM »

Happy Birthday to Zach and  VIBES for  a good first day at school to Gabe and Zach!

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2005, 09:04:00 AM »

Oh, gosh, bullying. I was bullied a bit when I was in school (I took dancing and sang, so I was a prime target, but it was really nicer times back then, so there was just teasing but no threats of physical violence), so when I ever saw anything like that happening when I was a teacher, I nipped it in the bud instantly. I knew what it felt like.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2005, 09:05:13 AM »

And thanks for the belated birthday wishes from DRs Dan, JMK, and Vixmom! As birthdays go, this one was one of the more pleasant ones.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 09:07:08 AM by Matt H. »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2005, 09:06:03 AM »

DR JED - congrats, I am glad someone is happy in Community TheatreLand.

DR MATTH - actually I got the part I wanted, I thought Jules would be fun, and since I was working on Pippin for the first three weeks of Angels rehearsals, I wanted a SMALLER part.  Tonight will tell the tale, I guess.

DRELMORE - of course I will take all the good lines for myself.  If someone doesn't say them, they are MINE MINE MINE, do you hear me? MINE!!

DRMBARNUM - Dorothy Green was also in The Restless Years with Mr John Saxon and the late Sandra Dee and she was on The Young and the Restless many years ago.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up