Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: FEELING RANDY  (Read 97566 times)

Ben

Re:FEELING RANDY
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2005, 10:40:46 AM »

D-t-M said:

Crap!  I just read that Barrymore's is closing.  Evidently, Disney wants to build a hotel on that block and everyone sold out for the big bucks.  *Sigh...*

and I say:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

It was one of the last places to go in Midtown for a nice, relatively inexpensive and relaxed meal before the theatre. I'm going there tonight as a matter of fact before we see Pillowman. I will ask (they may even have a sign in the window) and post what I find.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 10:41:26 AM by Ben »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2005, 10:55:48 AM »

It was one of the last places to go in Midtown for a nice, relatively inexpensive and relaxed meal before the theatre. I'm going there tonight as a matter of fact before we see Pillowman. I will ask (they may even have a sign in the window) and post what I find.

Also for after theatre.  I've spent many a long eveing after a show there, and never once, no matter the size of our party or bill, did I ever feel rushed to leave (well, there was one time, but we weren't exactly on our best behavior that night...)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2005, 11:00:34 AM »

Vixmom - I'm having a little sinus thing going on today, too. It's not NEARLY as bad as what yours sounds like, though. Sounds to me like you have a sinus infection, of which I am all too familiar.

Hope you feel better soon!!

Thanks.  I am thinking sinus infection too which is why I'm breaking down, leaving the offce early and seeing the DR

I hope you feel better as well!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2005, 11:05:39 AM »

When I was 17 ,  I was allowed to go into the city with some of  my friends (no grownups!!) to see a show and we ate dinner at Barrymore's we felt so ADULT.  I am not what you call a regualr having eaten there maybe 10 times in the past  30 years but it was nice to think it was always there

next you're going o tell me they're closing FAO Schwartz or The Russian Tearoom!

vixmom

« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2005, 11:13:18 AM »

I just received a package from Kritzerland!!!!!

Thank you!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2005, 11:15:20 AM »

next you're going o tell me they're closing FAO Schwartz or The Russian Tearoom!

"...They ain't there anymore!
To the city's dismay,
They both went amscray!"

Why don't you come up to my place?  I don't have as many toys as FAO Schwartz but the ones I got are doozies!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 11:16:16 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2005, 11:18:00 AM »

Why don't you come up to my place?  I don't have as many toys as FAO Schwartz but the ones I got are doozies!

Ooh! Now there's an inviatation that would be hard to refuse!!!!

vixmom

« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2005, 11:18:31 AM »

Off to the doctor go I... Laters!

Jason

« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2005, 11:37:19 AM »

I've been to paradise, but I've never been to Barrymore's....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2005, 11:50:15 AM »

TOD:  I had a boyfriend when I was a teenager who name was ( I kid you not)

Randy Finger

There was this executive for Armco Steel in my hometown:  Dick Head.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2005, 11:55:47 AM »

Does anyone have any light to shed on the alleged affair between Jacqueline Susann and Ethel Merman?  I just heard about this rumor for the first time this morning.

DRDan(the Man), there have been references all over the place to Merman's being gay because she was such a butch broad, but they are false.  I knew Merman's press agent Phillip Bloom, who was 74 when he died in 1988, and he swore there was no truth to the rumors.  Louis Botto, editor of PLAYBILL swore the same.  I once had a great lunch with Louis and press agent Robert Ullman, who had me falling off my chair with laughter from their Merman stories.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2005, 11:58:06 AM »

Favorite randy songs (that I can think of):

"I Never Do Anything Twice" by Stephen Sondheim

"Making Love Alone," recorded by Bernadette Peters (and no longer available on new copies of her CD, "Sondheim, Etc.")
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2005, 12:02:18 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Yes, I know the Word of the Day is RIPOSTE, but my word of the day would have to be IDYLLIC.

What a gorgeous day it is here today in NYC.  After running my errands this morning, I headed over to the park to get in the line for tickets for Two Gentlemen of Verona.  Once I got up to the Delacorte, I followed the "trail" of people down the footpath... and I kept following them... and following... until I finally reached the end of the line.  It was a bit longer than I was hoping for/expected, but at least the weather was gorgeous, and my part of the line happened to coincide with some park benches so I got to sit down while I waited.

We were all serenaded by a flute player who kept playing themes from Chopin's waltzes and mazurkas.  He was a pretty good player, but I was hoping to hear some real flute repertoire.  Alas, that did not happen - he started playing selections from Vivaldi's "Four Seasons".

I read some of the book I've been trying to finish the past couple of weeks.  I chatted with the gentleman behind me.  We talked about the show, what I did for a living, what he did for a living, etc.  Alas, he had a wedding ring on.  Ah, well.  ;)

About ten minutes before 1:00, the line started to move.  At first it moved slowly - the ticket distribution didn't start until 1:00 on the dot anyway - but you could tell people were hoping that they would not run out of tickets before they got up to the box office.  Myself included.  -The volunteer who was watching our part of the line said we should be pretty safe.  However, if we were further back by the rock, then our chances would have been iffy.

I start getting closer and closer to the box office.  The line is moving quite fast by this time.  And there's still that tinge of anxiety in the air.  They stop me just as I'm about to step across the footpath.  "Could you hold here until the next group is finished."

OK.  Hmm...

They tell me to proceed, and then the announcement is made, "OK, folks, you guys are in the last group for today.  Congratulations!"

WHEW!!!!

So, I happily take my two tickets and leave.  -But not before checking in with the box office personnel to make sure I really do have a seat, and that the seat locations on the tickets are really seat locations - I keep thinking it's general admission.  So...

My guest for tonight will be DR Jason.  I will be meeting him at his place of employment after work, and we shall forage for dinner somewhere before heading to the Delacorte for tonight's performance.  And it looks like the weather should be fine and dandy tonight too.

I went ahead and walked back over to Broadway to grab the 1 back uptown to my apartment.  And, now, to fill the next hour or so, I shall do some laundry.  Ah, the simple joys of maidenhood.

;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 12:04:11 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2005, 12:04:42 PM »

DR elmore - If we end up in your neck of the woods for dinner, should we give you a call?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2005, 12:07:04 PM »

OH!

And since I was in the neighborhood, I went right into Artie's and asked about the schedule for Rosh Hoshanah.  They said they would most certainly be open.  Then the host offered me a copy of the catering menu...  "Oh, I was seeing if you would be open since I have some people coming into town that week."  -Oh, OK.

;)

So, I'll take a poll.  It might be Artie's.  It might be Joe Allen.  It might be La Cocina.  Or it could be all three!

-Nah.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2005, 12:15:49 PM »

DR elmore - If we end up in your neck of the woods for dinner, should we give you a call?

Cointainly!

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2005, 12:18:39 PM »

Any one of those is fine by me Jose. I trust your judgement when it comes to foodstuffs.

MBarnum

« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2005, 12:20:48 PM »

DR Rodzinski asked me to express his deep regret that he has not been seen lately on this here board. Although it may soon be the most popular place on all internet, it would seem his work computer is not allowing him to log on to HHW.

He was worried about coming face to face with that bitch-slapping machine he hears so much about.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2005, 12:21:02 PM »

DRDan(the Man), there have been references all over the place to Merman's being gay because she was such a butch broad, but they are false.  I knew Merman's press agent Phillip Bloom, who was 74 when he died in 1988, and he swore there was no truth to the rumors.  Louis Botto, editor of PLAYBILL swore the same.  I once had a great lunch with Louis and press agent Robert Ullman, who had me falling off my chair with laughter from their Merman stories.

From what I've been purusing on the web today, I don't give much credence towards the actualality of an affair.  Like DRs JRand and Matt have said, it seems that because of some strange obsession on her part, Jacqueline Susann actively sought out Merman but her overtures were for naught--Ethel steered clear of her.  Susann, in turn, based the Helen Lawson character in VOTD on her and let everyone know about it.  What a strange and seedy little episode.  I must include it in my upcoming Broadway Babylon book.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2005, 12:22:11 PM »

Books:
Peyton Place
End as a Man
Eternal Fire

Movies:
Niagara
Maurice
The Carpetbaggers
Valley of the Dolls

Plays:
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2005, 12:22:35 PM »

DR RLP.....terrible story.  And so common nowadays.  Sad sad sad.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2005, 12:22:43 PM »

Yes, indeed. Congratulations have already been offered to DR Jose for his possible LESTAT job, but now that it's a fact, I am SO very happy for him.

DR Jose, how long do these contracts run? Run of the play? 6 months? One year? Is there a trial period? Curious minds want to know.

Well, once I'm there, I'm there.  Unless I do something to royally mess this up - which I won't! - the position is mine for as long as I want for the run of the show.  People have been known to stay for a long time.  Heck, some of the folks in A Chorus Line played the whole run - with some breaks in there - but, still, the whole run.  And Phantom of the Opera has had the same concert masters and first celli since they opened too.  Job security.  -And, you get most of your days free!

Practically speaking, assuming the show is a total success and/or runs at least a year, it will be nice having something that stable for that amount of time.  I do like being on the road, but there is something to be said about having one major source of income for more than 12 weeks at a time.

I'm still working it all out in my head, but if I find myself very happy with the show, I would like to stay for at least a year.  Put some money away, pay off my debts, etc.  *Union scale is currently very nice, livable.  And live in NYC!

It is a union position, so there will be some vacation time built into the contract, but, I have to say, I hate subbing out unless I really have to - being sick, etc.  I just really like playing.  Although, who knows?  Maybe I'll end up like a lot of keyboard players in town who end doing multiple projects at once, and take some time off regulary.  -Remember a few months ago when I mentioned that the Broadway pit of Mamma Mia! currently has at least 5 people covering each keyboard part?

In the long run (of the show), if a tour ends up happening, I would love to go out with it.  Two words: per diem.  :)  But since I'm in one of the keyboard slots, there is also the possibility that I could be rolled up to one of the assistant conductor slots.

We shall just see where things go, lead, take me.

Right now, I'm just so very happy, and feeling very fortunate that this came my way, and that it fits in perfectly with my current obligations/contracts.  And it is, when it comes down to it, my dream job - to be playing in the pit of a Broadway show.  Not to conduct a Broadway show, just to be playing in it, being a part of the "noise".  I'm always happiest when I'm at the keyboard, and I can definitely see myself being very happy during Lestat.  And, hopefully, for a good year, if not longer.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2005, 12:23:41 PM »

DR DtM - Frances has to have a chapter in your book!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2005, 12:25:32 PM »

Wow....playing in the pit of a Broadway show!  Maybe you will get a ticket for the Tony Awards show....when LESTAT is nominated in several categories.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2005, 12:27:41 PM »

Actually my Equity name is Jack-Randall Earles.  Since there already WAS a Jack Randall.....and if someone says to me, "You mean like Ann-Margret?"  I always just say: "Exactly like her."

Of course I have also been called Lee Harvey Oswald and James Earl Ray and any other number of three-name assassins!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2005, 12:29:25 PM »

And...well....you have to remember, DR DtM - that the person who introduced Jacqueline to Ethel was their mutual friend Benay Venuta.  Broadway is a samll world, and I hope you get that book.  It is VERY interesting with a LOT of stories about Susann's Broadway "career" arc in the late 30's and 40's.

Jason

« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2005, 12:29:35 PM »

I'm simply teeming with excitement about tonight's festivities, Jose. Hopefully good food, hopefully a good production of a show that I absolutely DO NOT KNOW (who knew?), and guaranteed good company. What more could a girl ask for? Thanks for the invite!

Last night we had "roommate night." I was roped into this evening of "fun" under the auspices that it was to be a night that the three of us could get together, cook, chat and maybe watch a movie - all "fun" things. When I got home, it was clear that that was not the plan. No - the fun "roommate night" turned into "let's clean the apartment" night. I was ambushed. The two girls "cleaned" the kitchen (their definition of clean greatly differs from that of my own [or my mother's]) and I was stuck with the bathroom. Actually, I was glad to have the bathroom because it was work I could do alone. And then I "got" to sort and carry all the garbage and recyclables down to the street. All FIVE BAGS worth. I will not commit myself to "roommate night" again. If they feel the apartment needs to be cleaned, then they need to just have the chutzpah to come out and say it. I don't mind doing it - I just don't like being hoodwinked into a cleaning event. Not exactly what I want to do after a long day of dealing with dodos.

Now the carrot-chewing coworker is discussing conspiracy theories with the very cute but outrageously stuck up (and dim) Admin Assistant to whom I alluded a couple of weeks back. Said Admin Assistant still looks at me as if I have no right to live.

I never has seen Artie's...or La Cocina...but I trust DRs Ben and Jose's judgements on dining establishments. I'm up for whatever!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2005, 12:29:48 PM »

Time to study my script again.  Then off to opening night!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: September 08, 2005, 12:31:57 PM »

Oh, back to Randy books for a bit...

Anything by Harold Robbins.  I still remember coming across a copy of "The Betsy" at a relative's house when I was nine or ten years old.  WOW!!!  That certainly was an eye opener.

And also anything by Gordon Merrick.  Another WOW!  I remember coming across a copy of "The Lord Won't Mind" at the library when I was in high school.  Boy, did that book answer a lot of questions I had about sexuality - well, at least homosexuality - in a way.  I went on to read the rest of the trilogy.  The frankness and graphicness still sort of shock me.  However, I did buy all three books a few years ago - I would really like to read them again now that I'm an adult, and there's less of a titillation factor involved.  -Well, I guess if Lestat has some long book scenes... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2005, 12:34:53 PM »

I feel so stupid, but I have never looked at a vcr with a tape in it (with the top off). I had no idea how it takes the actual tape and winds it around so many different pieces. No wonder so many tapes get eaten. I am actually amazed that most vcrs work as well as they do.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up