Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL DAY  (Read 78497 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL DAY
« on: September 11, 2005, 12:31:14 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are jiggy with the notes, the notes are jiggy with you, and now it is time for you to post until the wonderful, wonderful cows come home.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 12:10:14 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL DAY
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 12:32:25 AM »

And the word of the day is: HUMDINGER!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 12:32:39 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 12:39:06 AM »

For those who need to know (and who doesn't?) "Humdinger" was chart record for Freddy Cannon in 1960.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 12:42:02 AM »

"Wonderful Wonderful" was was of my favourite hits of the 1950's.

Favourite Johnny Mathis songs perhaps!!

For me - difficult to choose but "Misty is right up there.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 02:44:12 AM »

DR MATTH's post from yesterday;
After that finished, I just kept that DVD in the player and began watching the Katharine Hepburn autobiographical documentary "All About Me." I've always loved this feature, and watched about half of it before turning off everything and getting on-line for my last surf before bedtime

DR MATTH,
Did you finish and enjoy the Katharine Hepburn autobiographical documentary "All About Me”? It must be great and I’d like to see it and give it to my mother, but I couldn’t find a DVD/VHS named “All About Me”(for Katharine Hepburn) on amazon.jp., however, have found the VHS on amazon.com. Is that the one you have?

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 02:49:56 AM »

Glad you had a wonderful, wonderful day (included a great successful party)! Look forward to seeing photos from the party.

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 04:26:53 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore. My thoughts to New York and to your whole country on this day.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 04:28:22 AM »

Good morning, all!  The Henry Willson bio is quite dishy, but not so scandalous as I thought it might be.  Of course, it'sd early yet.

Dear Friend BK, I think you had one humdinger of a day!  I look forward to the photos.

I heard from the lovely Miss Susan Egan last night.  I had emailed her to tell her how much I've been enjoying her new recording "Coffee House."  She was so wonderful in TRIUMPH OF LOVE, another flop that deserved much better.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 04:35:37 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore. My thoughts to New York and to your whole country on this day.

Hello, DRTomovoz!  Yes, the 9/11 portions I saw on the 11:00 pm news last night had me weeping so badly I had to turn off the television.  I still cry whenever I walk past a firehouse.  The last girlfriend of my best friend from college was on the first plane to hit the World Trade Center, and one of my colleagues on the recording project lost a friend who lived across from the Trade Center.  We think he walked out to see what was going on and the building collapsed on him.  I will never understand such hatred.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 06:27:37 AM »

I recently read two ographies recently. One bi and the other auto.

The bi one was Paul Lynde (who wasn't). A sad story of a talented man. Who destroyed many personal and professional relationships through drink. Not very well written, but does give some insight to the man that I did not know before.

I had an advance reader's copy so I don't know if that means that this was the final version or there were more changes to come.

The auto one was by Craig Chester an actor who has appeared in many indie films and the one that most people might know him from was Kiss Me Guido. Some interesting stories about growing up and then trying to make it as an openly gay actor.

My favorite story was a trip to the zoo, monkeys and sh*t gernades.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 06:30:13 AM »

Oh my. I forgot today was that awful day. I remember we had the tv on at work so everyone, including customers could see what was going on. No one could believe it.
Never stop dreaming.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 06:33:46 AM »

I had jury duty that day. We watched the whole thing from the jury assembly room.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 07:03:14 AM »

Another bored meeting today.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 07:26:24 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

Shortly I will be on my way to the Burbank Airport.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 07:31:31 AM »

Last night, DR Jose wrote: "Well, then that would mean that most of the shows that have opened and closed during the past ten to fifteen years - or might even still be running - would be a flop.

And that would include a bunch of Sondheim.  I don't think the original production of Into the Woods made back it's investment in NYC.  And if it did, it was not exactly a sizable return.  And I know the revival of Woods closed in the red.  Passion ran just about a year, and won the Tony - flop?  Sunday in the Park with George?  The Forum revival?

Even ALW's Sunset Blvd...

Etc., etc., etc."

Absolutely true, DR Jose. SOndheim hasn't had a show pay off in its original production since A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC, and since BK didn't define what he meant by "flop," I assumed we could use our own discretion about choosing how to determine how we viewed the works under consideration.

As for the productions you mentioned, I have made no secret here that even though I'm a passionate Sondheim-head, I had NO passion for PASSION. I didn't see the INTO THE WOODS revival so I couldn't pick that. I did not like SUNSET BLVD. nuch at all.

SUNDAY, the original WOODS, SWEENEY: yep, I could have chosen any of them, but they did run over a year each, so I picked a show that didn't run even a year. Posters' choice, don't ya know. . . .

:)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 07:42:14 AM »

And the word of the day is: HUMDINGER!
A male hummingbird.

As in "The Randy Vicar and the Humdinger."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 08:02:06 AM »

Sixteen postings?  I do hope upon my return from the airport that that situation is rectified, oh, yes, that that situation is rectified.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 08:02:23 AM »

DR MATTH's post from yesterday;DR MATTH,
Did you finish and enjoy the Katharine Hepburn autobiographical documentary "All About Me”? It must be great and I’d like to see it and give it to my mother, but I couldn’t find a DVD/VHS named “All About Me”(for Katharine Hepburn) on amazon.jp., however, have found the VHS on amazon.com. Is that the one you have?

I have seen this documentary many, many times. When it first premiered on TCM, I videotaped it and watched that copy for years.

But the DVD version of this documentary is included as a bonus feature on THE PHILADELPHIA STORY 2-disc DVD set if you're interested in getting it.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2005, 08:05:02 AM »

I happened to be on-line when the planes went into the Twin Towers, and the fellow I was chatting with told me to run to the TV and turn it on. I sat in a stupor for three days basically. COuldn't stop crying, every mention of it would set off a new round of tears. And now, when I see footage of that tragedy even now, I get so sad. I doubt I will ever really recover from that shock.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2005, 08:07:07 AM »

And a good morning to everyone!

I finally got a decent night of sleep uninterrupted with thoughts of having to perform with no preparation, etc.

I took my morning walk and then did my usual Sunday morning chores of gooing to the ATM to get spending money for the week and going to the grocery store to beat the weekend shopping crowd.

Now, all I have left is to do laundry (later this morning) and clean the downstairs bathrooms (household chore of the day) and the rest of the day is free.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2005, 08:08:48 AM »

I'm going to watch RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE today. After seeing all those Astaire-Shearer-Garbo black and white movies, I kind of long for some color now. I'll go back to the classics later in the week.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2005, 08:09:57 AM »

The next Astaire-Rogers will more than likely be SHALL WE DANCE?

The next Shearer will definitely be ROMEO AND JULIET.

The next Garbo will probably be QUEEN CHRISTINA or MATA HARI.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2005, 08:11:10 AM »

If QUEEN CHRISTINA looks as grainy as ANNA KARENINA, I will take out the laserdisc of it and compare the two. I didn't have either CAMILLE or KARENINA on laser to do any comparisons, but I do have QUEEN CHRISTINA.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2005, 08:12:12 AM »

I aldo DVRed THE PIRATE again over the weekend, and I will watch that again today, too: another colorful eyeful in contrast to all the black and white I've been viewing during the last week.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2005, 08:14:04 AM »

Sixteen postings?  I do hope upon my return from the airport that that situation is rectified, oh, yes, that that situation is rectified.

I'm trying, I'm trying . . . .

;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2005, 08:21:52 AM »

Good morning all!
I was up late again watching BB6 live feeds. I have to get my fix as I'm leaving town for my nephew's wedding Thursday and will be staying where there until Sunday with only dial-up internet and festivities planned during BB6.  I'm almost embarassed to admit how I've become addicted to it! I can TIVO it, so all will not be lost.

LIVE FEED FROM LAST NIGHT

It was actually pretty interesting. April knows she's going home. She has been talking to Janelle a lot. She had a long talk with Maggie and said she feels like she has been manipulated the entire game by Ivette and that she thinks Ivette's influence has made her say and do things she wouldn't have normally done. She said BB told them there was a reason that America keeps picking Janelle and now she thinks it's because Ivette has made them all look bad.

Interesting. Maggie is now worried about the same thing. If they stick with this, the only way Ivette will make the final two is if she wins HOH.

I really wouldn't mind a Maggie/Janelle final two. Maggie would probably win. If it's Ivette/Janelle, Janelle may have a chance. April said she would not vote for Ivette to win the money and if she can convince the others, Janelle could pull it off.

If it's Maggie/Ivette, my guess is Maggie will win.

Cillaliz

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2005, 08:25:35 AM »

It's going to be hot again here today.  Temps in the 90s are usually July weather and we've had a week of it. I'm really sick of it! I'm a little concerned that there are possible thunderstorms predicted for net Saturday. My nephew's wedding is a garden wedding, it would be so sad if it rained.  

Danise

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2005, 08:46:28 AM »

Hi all.

I was at work when the planes hit the towers.  We all went into the conference room to watch the news.  

I couldn't believe it.  Still can't believe that anyone could do something so horrible. I can't watch any more stories about what happened because it upsets me so much.

The same about the hurricane.  I was so upset when I heard about the 30 people left in the rest home.  Outraged is more like it.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2005, 08:50:42 AM »

BK you are lucky to have friends from when you went to school.  I could fall over someone from mine (and I mean from 1-12) and I wouldn't know them.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up