Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WELL, DEAR READERS  (Read 94310 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:WELL, DEAR READERS
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2005, 04:31:48 AM »

but my absolute favorte site other than HHW is www.brucekimmel.com. There is not a day goes by that I don't take a look at it.

DRMichael Shayne, you did a beautiful job putting it together!  I check out my lovely site about every 4 or 5 days.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2005, 04:34:48 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
A FRENZY!  PAGE 2 DANCE!!!

[/color]
[/move]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 04:36:17 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2005, 05:44:19 AM »

I sheepishly admit that i visit Talkinbroadway.com (All That Chat) with alarming regularity (no scatological jokes, please!).  Also playbill.com and theatermania.com and broadwayworld.com, and (mainly for the reviews and for Ken Mandelbaum's column) broadway.com.  I just started subscribing to casrtrecl's mailing list, the day after the news about the Kritzerland LAST STARFIGHTER CD came out and I heard some nice things were being said on there about Skip.

And I also visit americanexpress.com almost every day, but that's just to make sure there are no unauthorized charges; I got burned by unauthorized charges a few years back, causing a mess of cyber-paperwork to set things right, and I'm obsessively determined never to let that happen again.  

Ben

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2005, 05:44:23 AM »

Larry, I saw the e-mail from Esche yesterday regarding music cut from the 1993 She Loves Me cast recording (I get one e-mail a day which lists all posts from the previous day in one long read). I could tell from the tone of his post that it was not something to be believed.

Ben

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2005, 05:46:24 AM »

I also vist Theatremania for Mr. Filichia's column.

Ben

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2005, 06:15:58 AM »

I spy a Kerry! Look in your mailbox later this week or early next week.

Hugs to Lyn.

Kerry

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2005, 06:17:04 AM »

Well dear Readers,

Other than occasional journeys to google, amazon and, e-bay, this is about it for regular sites.  Oh and the New York Times and Arizona news.

And I do thnk the world would stop if you didn't say, "Well dear readers..."  I don't think we should take that chance.
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2005, 06:51:56 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, I seem to be back to normal this morning - well, at least feeling "normal".  The dull headache is gone - which I truly suspect was due to some sinus stuff - and I'm not as lethargic as I was the past two days - which I also think was due to some sinus stuff.  In any case...

I've had my bowl of oatmeal, and I'm "allowing" myself a few more minutes of internet time before I head down to Ripley-Grier for another batch of Evita auditions.  And, yes, I have to admit that I am a bit nervous about the fact that Mr. Hal Prince will be in the room today.  But, as long as I keep saying to myself, "He's only Hal, he's just a person."  and "Well, I'm only the piano player."  - well, then that helps to lower the stakes.   ;)

Besides, it's not like Mssrs. Fuller and Prince will just jump out from behind the table and say, "Hey, give that man a job!"...

...Although, with the way my career has been going so far here in NYC - or at least how I've been landing gigs lately - who knows?  Strangers things have happened.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2005, 06:57:12 AM »

Topic of the Day

www.playbill.com - It's my homepage
I sometimes take a peak at the other theatre websites if someone tells me there's something I should look see for myself.

www.washingtonpost.com
www.styleweekly.com (Richmond arts and happenings)
www.timesdispatch.com (Richmond news)

www.firstmarketbank.com
www.citibank.com - Like DR FJL, I'm a bit obsessive about checking my bank statements and activity daily.  I've had to deal with at least four incidents over the years, and it's always better to be safe than sorry.  However, I will say that the banks actually caught "it" before I did, and called me to inform of the unauthorized usage.

And that's really about it for websites - at least ones I visit on a regular basis.  And can be mentioned on a family website.

:-X

As for usenet/listservs/etc....  Just the Sondheim one.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 06:57:57 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2005, 06:57:34 AM »

DR Jason

Thank you for your explanation of the unions. It is something I always wondered about.
I was confused because I thought you had to already be a member of Equity to get into an Equity show, so I couldn't figure out how you got the membership inthe first place.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2005, 06:59:40 AM »

Mssrs. Fuller and Prince will just jump out from behind the table and say, "Hey, give that man a job!"...

;)

From your fingers to God's ears!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~VIBES~~~~~[/move]
for an especially excellent day

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2005, 06:59:52 AM »

DR Jason

Thank you for your explanation of the unions. It is something I always wondered about.
I was confused because I thought you had to already be a member of Equity to get into an Equity show, so I couldn't figure out how you got the membership inthe first place.

...And as DR Jason alluded to, there is that "catch"...  Most of the time, if you want to audition for an Equity show, you already have to be a member of Equity.  "Then how do I get my card?"  -And that's a discussion for another time....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2005, 07:00:35 AM »

Well.. Time for my morning ablutions, and then it's off to Ripley-Grier.

(Note to self: Don't forget the umbrella.)

OK...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2005, 07:01:16 AM »

Its raining bucketfulls out here on the Island of Long and this morning's commute was  painfully slow

« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 07:01:50 AM by vixmom »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2005, 07:01:25 AM »

From your fingers to God's ears!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~VIBES~~~~~[/move]
for an especially excellent day

Thank you.

And there is a public computer set up at the studios, so if something happens...

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2005, 07:03:23 AM »

I don't have any other websites,  This is my first and only

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2005, 07:05:58 AM »

Dear Hisaka

Thanks for your  bubbles nursey rhyme.  I don't  know why, but when they were talking about the Emperor in the movie, HERO,  I just assumed it was the Emperor of Japan.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2005, 07:08:03 AM »

My iPod is on, and I've just heard all three versions of Love, Look Away from the new Guy Haines album.  That was a track I wasn't satisfied with for the longest time, and I kept changing it.  In version one, we had a synth oboe playing my vamp lines along with the guitar and piano.  I didn't care for that.  Then we recorded a soprano sax doing those vamp lines.  I still didn't like it.  I was beginning to despair, and I was sitting at Vinnie's just trying to get the mix to sound right, when Vinnie's girlfriend showed up.  She just happens to be a faboo cellist, and I asked her if she'd lay down a cello part (the other thing I wasn't happy with was that the track seemed to have no low end).  We went over the song about six times - with her improvising, and me telling her which bits I liked, and then I hummed her two or three lines for other parts, and we recorded it, and it absolutely transformed both the track and the mix.  I was then satisfied.

Funny you should mention Love Look Away, I was listening to it yesterday on my way home from work and enjoyed it so much I played it 3 times.

vixmom

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2005, 07:08:37 AM »

Matt, Thanks for your review of The Corpse Bride.  Is it Vixter appropriate?

I hope you are well out of the way of Ophelia... I heard weather reports this morning of massive floodings on the NC coast lines

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2005, 07:09:14 AM »

And the word of the day is: CRANIUM!
"Crani-yum!" said the gourmet zombie.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2005, 07:09:21 AM »

...And as DR Jason alluded to, there is that "catch"...  Most of the time, if you want to audition for an Equity show, you already have to be a member of Equity.  "Then how do I get my card?"  -And that's a discussion for another time....

Someday I would like to hear about it   :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2005, 07:09:40 AM »

Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but am very behind on my preparations for heading out of town.  I visit lots of websites daily some news, some theatre related and some legal related. Too many to list.

td

• td
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2005, 07:10:00 AM »

:'(

Oh, the sadness:
The New York Times
September 15, 2005
Robert Wise, Film Director, Dies at 91

Robert Wise, a conscientious craftsman in many movie genres who twice received Academy Awards as best director, died yesterday at the U.C.L.A. Medical Center in Los Angeles. He was 91.

His death was confirmed by Lawrence Mirisch, a family friend.

Mr. Wise enjoyed a long career in which he became a notable editor of such films as Orson Welles's "Citizen Kane," then made a successful transition from making B-movies at RKO Studios during Hollywood's golden era of the 1940's to making important films in the 1950's, 60's and 70's.

His career soared with "West Side Story," the 1961 filming of the landmark Broadway musical, for which he shared an Oscar as best director with the choreographer Jerome Robbins. He received a second Academy Award as producer when the film was voted best picture. He gained his third and fourth Oscars with "The Sound of Music," the lavish 1965 adaptation of the musical stage hit, in which he was again cited as best director and as producer of the best film.

In all, "West Side Story" received 10 Oscars and "Sound of Music" won 5. Mr. Wise also was honored at the Academy Awards ceremony in 1966 with the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award for lifetime achievement as a producer.

Other films by Mr. Wise that continue to enjoy enthusiastic support include "The Body Snatcher," a 1945 horror film with Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi; "The Set-Up," a gritty 1949 study of second- rate boxers; and the 1951 science-fiction cult favorite "The Day the Earth Stood Still." Mr. Wise counted among his own favorites "The Haunting," a cult favorite from 1963 with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom, and the 1958 drama about capital punishment, "I Want to Live!" Mr. Wise considered himself a director of content, not messages, and he was not afraid to experiment. In 1959 he filmed "Odds Against Tomorrow," an antiracist drama with Harry Belafonte and Robert Ryan about a brutal bank robbery that he made without the customary fades (going to black) or dissolves (overlapping scenes) to denote the passage of time. Fades and dissolves, he remarked, tend to slow the tempo and break the mood.

Despite Mr. Wise's versatility, dedication and skill at drawing consistently superior performances from actors, reviewers tended to complain that he left no personal stamp on his films. Detractors dismissed him as a sentimental technician whose movies were increasingly slick, uninventive and occasionally foolish.

Robert Earl Wise was born on Sept. 10, 1914, in Winchester, Ind., the son of a meatpacker and his wife. The Depression force him to quit college in 1933, and he headed for Hollywood, where his older brother, Dave, was an accountant at RKO. His brother helped him get a job as a messenger in the studio's editing department. Soon he was learning sound effects and music editing, and working his way up to film editing.

His work attracted the attention of Welles, who hired him to edit "Citizen Kane."

Mr. Wise and Welles had a falling out, however, over the fate of Welles's "Magnificent Ambersons" in 1942. Many filmgoers today regard that film as a masterpiece, but audiences hated it when it had its preview in Pomona, Calif. World War II had begun and Americans wanted escapist fare, not a tale about death and dying and a spinster's sexual frustration. Welles was in Brazil and a panicky RKO ordered that the overbudget, behind-schedule movie be recut and reshaped by others, including Mr. Wise. He and his assistant, Mark Robson, who would also go on to become a director, began working round the clock to cut, replace and transpose scene after scene in a frantic effort to "keep the audiences in the theaters," as Mr. Wise put it.

Welles denounced the editing of "The Magnificent Ambersons," saying the film was mutilated, "cut by the studio gardener." Mr. Wise conceded that "as a work of art" the original Welles version was better, but he defended his editing as saving the film from a worse fate at the hands of the studio.

A particular admirer of Mr. Wise's editing was Martin Scorsese, the director who was instrumental in getting Mr. Wise the American Film Institute's life achievement award in 1998. "His films became increasingly fascinating to me because of the editing style, a very crisp, clear style of editing that kind of points the audience toward where to look in a scene," Mr. Scorsese said.

Shortly after his work on "The Magnificent Ambersons," Mr. Wise got a big break. Gunther von Fritsch fell behind schedule in directing "The Curse of the Cat People," a children's terror fantasy that starred Simone Simon. Mr. Wise, who was editing it, was assigned to take over direction and completed shooting in 10 days. The film was hailed as one of the best of the psychological thrillers produced by Val Lewton and became a cult classic, and Mr. Wise was promoted to director. He believed that actors had a special language of their own and, with typical diligence, enrolled in an acting class to learn how performers viewed moviemaking.

For the next three decades he emerged as one of the most prolific and peripatetic filmmakers in Hollywood with films including "Born to Kill" (1947), "Three Secrets" (1950), "The House on Telegraph Hill" (1951), "The Desert Rats" (1953), "Executive Suite" (1954), "Run Silent, Run Deep" (1958) , "The Sand Pebbles" (1966) and "The Andromeda Strain" (1971).

He had some memorable box-office flops as well, among them "The Hindenburg" (1975) and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" (1979).

He is survived by his current wife, Milicent of Los Angeles; a son from an earlier marriage, Robert E. Wise of California; a stepdaughter, Pamela Rosenberg of New York; and a granddaughter. His wife Patricia Doyle died in 1975.

In 1988 he received the highest honor of the Directors Guild of America, its D. W. Griffith Award for career achievement. He was a former chairman of the guild and a president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences who had the respect of many associates for striving to strike a balance between commerce and art, for professionalism and patience and for helping novice moviemakers.

When Mr. Wise was 83 he told The New York Times that "Citizen Kane" was not particularly difficult to edit, partly because of the masterly cinematography by Gregg Toland. From the outset, Mr. Wise said that he knew the film was singular. "You would see those extraordinary dailies every day, the marvelous photography and angles and great scenes with actors that were new to the screen, you'd see this and know it was quite special," Mr. Wise said. "And to think that Welles was 25, and it was his first film. Remarkable really." (The self-effacing Mr. Wise neglected to mention that he was less than a year older than Welles.)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2005, 07:10:05 AM »

TOD: websites that I visit regularly include:

www.imdb.com

www.ebay.com

www.indiaweekly.com (this is where I buy most of my Bollywood dvds!)

I also have bookmared an associated press listing of daily news stories which I visit each day to see what is going on in the world.

As for boards that I post on, this hear board is the only one that I post on regularly. I will occasionally post on www.scarletstreet.com and also on the Classic Horror Film board, but not as much as I used to.

I really miss the old forum that Sinister Cinema used to have. JRand55 and I were regular posters on that board long before I had ever heard of HHW, and it was a lot of fun...but then it was revamped and altered and it was just not the same afterwards, so eventually we both sort of drifted away from it.

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2005, 07:10:15 AM »

"Crani-yum!" said the gourmet zombie.

OOOOOOOOOOOH.. no groaning allowed....

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2005, 07:14:16 AM »

td

Thanks for that story on Mr. Wise.  I heard a short tribute to him on NPR this morning.  I wonder if they will have an old interview with him on  All Things Considered this afrernoon.

vixmom

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2005, 07:14:42 AM »

DR Danise

Will you post pictures of your designs here for us to see?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2005, 07:15:15 AM »

Vibes to DRJose!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2005, 07:15:37 AM »

Have a nice trip and enjoy the wedding Cillaliz!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2005, 07:19:20 AM »

OTHER SITES:

Reading: WaiterRant has provided me with lots of good reading.

Participating: This is going to seem obvious, but I post on occasion at the Good Eats Fan Page.  They're about as crazy as this crew here!

And there's lots of other places I drop by less regularly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up