Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LEISURE SUIT  (Read 106251 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LEISURE SUIT
« on: September 16, 2005, 12:11:32 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've read the notes at your leisure in your leisure suit, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're putting on their cow leisure suits right now, and then they'll be toddling on home.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 12:11:47 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LEISURE SUIT
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 12:15:08 AM »

And the word of the day is: MOUNTEBANK!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 12:18:06 AM »

DVD...I think I'll explore a little more of The Fly and its extras.  I also came across a documentary called Try To Remember:  The Fantastiks which is about The Fantastiks done around the time the show finally closed.

CD...I need to listen to After The Fair, produced by our very own BK.  And I need to have another listen of a Nickel Creek album our very own elmore sent me.

On the bed-stand...a book of long short stories by Fredric Brown called THE PICKLED PUNKS.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 12:32:43 AM »

DVDs watched this week:
Some Like It Hot
The Cat Returns

CDs
Harvey Schmidt
Kiss Me Kate (John Yap)
A Christmas Carol Tv Soundtrack - Menken/Ahrens
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 03:09:18 AM »

I'm now quite enjoying listening to Disc two from The Look of Love the Burt Bacharach Collection three CD set with the colorful beautiful singers and songs.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 04:00:02 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore. May your Friday be full of good things. There are only three hours left of mine.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 04:05:32 AM »

So where did Nelson Eddy keep his money?
A mountebank.
Someone had to get it over with quickly.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 04:05:44 AM »

Good morning, all!  I overslept and got out of bed at 6 am, but I'm feeling very unawake after two cups of coffee and a nice bath.

DRJason, I, too, love "Night Letter" but are you aware it's "S.W.A.K." (Sealed With a Kiss)" or am I missing a joke?  It's very possible on my end; few circuits are working.  I think tonight my friend Matthew and I will see JUNEBUG featuring Miss Celia Weston. godmother to my godfather.  The rest of the weekend will be tied up with Toyland and Chicago Humanities Festival.

TOD:
  CD:  Susan Egan "Coffee House," Bernstein "Peter Pan," STAGES/TA
  DVD:  L'AUBERGE ESPAGNOLE (I think that's the title)
  VCR:  My fave!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 04:07:19 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore. May your Friday be full of good things. There are only three hours left of mine.

Hello, DRTomovoz!  Make the most of your time left today!  I wish you a pleasant sleep and a wonderful day tomorrow.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 04:10:09 AM »

Thanks DR Elmore.  Enjoy your time in Toyland. Now there's reality.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 04:15:17 AM »

Hello DR Ben.
May your Friday also be one that is stress free and  full of unexpected delights.
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 04:18:05 AM »

Thank you Dear Tom. It seems to be headed that way.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 04:18:48 AM »

And may I ask, Who the hell is Jinx??? I know it's one of the guys in Forever Plaid but it's also Jinx's birthday according to the calendar.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 04:19:02 AM »

Mornin' Lar :-)

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 04:25:28 AM »

Well Jinx is not my brother. My little brother Chris has his 50th birthday today. I did not grow up in the same family but we certainly have the same temperament.
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 04:28:47 AM »

I'm listening to AccuRadio right now. It's playing Tango Traguiqe from SLM.

We have no plans for this evening (I'm doing the laundry after work but after that, nothing). I'm seeing Lennon tomorrow evening, just in time since it's closing next Saturday.

We saw Beauty and the Beast last night. It was OK. I must say the show is TOO LONG. It's 2 and a half hours!!! There are some nice moments but after almost 12 years (it opened in April of 1994) it's beginning to show it's age. Most of the songs that were added for the stage version could be dropped or trimmed. We enjoyed ourselves and Anthony got to see which roles he could do if he was cast. He was thinking Le Fou before he saw the show but after last night we both agree he would probably have more fun and do more with Cogsworth. The guy playing Le Fou did a great job with the physical comedy but vocally he was weak. He's the understudy and it seems to me he didn't have a lot of rehearsal. Steve Blanchard, who played The Beast was excellent. I saw him in Johnny Guitar many, many months ago. I'm glad he's still working. I was also pleasantly surprised at the behavior of the many children in the audience. Based on the sounds before the lights went down I thought it might be a bit raucous but they were very attentive with very few disruptions.

Ah, well. I must get to work.

Later, gaters.

P.S. François, glad you liked the Karen Morrow clip. I'm a big fan. A dear friend of mine met her many years ago when they were both camp counselors in Superior, Wisconsin. I have never met her but my friend, Tom, always said wonderful things about Miss Morrow. From what I've heard, it's all true.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 04:30:18 AM by Ben »

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 04:52:15 AM »

And before I sign off for the night - Good Morning Michael.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 05:08:52 AM »

DVD: Ben Hur

So far I love him and hate hur.
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 06:28:55 AM »

mediA checK:

iPod:  Donovan -- Troubadour 1964-1976

Tivo:  the WB's Supernatural and this morning's Martha

DVD:  Appleseed -- an anime movie that someone wants me to watch.  *Sigh*...

VCR:  the Elias Rabb You Can't Take It With You
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 06:30:20 AM »

Any word on whether Two Gentlemen of Verona will transfer to a B'way house?  I would love to see it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

td

• td
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 06:53:09 AM »

So where did Nelson Eddy keep his money?
A mountebank.
Someone had to get it over with quickly.

Where did Bert Lahr keep his money, or Brendan Fraser for that matter?

(see Tomovoz' answer)   8)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 06:56:49 AM »

Good morning all from humid nasty rainy Long Island
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 06:57:29 AM »

It was so nice to see thet Dr Joey  popped in last night, you have been missed!!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

td

• td
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 07:00:32 AM »

TOD:
dvd:
INSERTS - (netflix) Does anyone know the difference between the version which was released theatrically and the International release which is represented on the dvd?  
I saw this theatrically when it first came out and was bored to tears; now, it's interesting to see Bob Hoskins, thin, talking about building a freeway through L.A. (ring any bells?), opening drive throughs and named "Big Mac."  Dvd transfer is excellent.
And that previously mentioned L-O-N-G film, BEN-HUR, which is amazing to behold.  Those teeny-boppers on less popular sites are complaining constantly about this release, BUT, what I see is top notch; very cinematic, quite film-like and clear as a bell (one can actually see individual hairs on centurians' legs!)  So far, I'm up to the battle at sea sequence.  I haven't dipped into the silent version yet, but I know there is one significant difference in the galley scenes.
cd:
QAF: Club Babylon, disc one.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

FJL

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 07:06:21 AM »

BK mentioned those great TV movies of the 1970's in his notes.  I think they called it the Tuesday Movie of the Week for quite a while.  IIRC, some of my favorite TV movies were part of that series, like The Last Child (with Van Heflin), Crowhaven Farm (with Hope Lange) and original Night Stalker (which I believe is being remade as a new series).  I got spoiled and rarely went to the movie theaters in those days, because what I saw in the theaters didn't necessarily live up to what the networks were creating (I won't say churning out, because the quality level was too high) week after week.

FJL

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005, 07:11:24 AM »

In my CD player:

Stages/Together Again - not all the wya through it, but enjoying it a great deal
Gershon Veroba (thanks again, JMK, for recommending it)
Time-Life Greatest Hits of 1978 (alternating Earth Wind & Fire's "September" with Gershon Veroba's - great stretching music)
Epiphany - Chaka Khan
All the Way - Celine Dion

Jason

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 07:21:13 AM »

DtM: I haven't heard any chatter about TWO GENTLEMEN transferring. I didn't read any of the reviews, but I heard they weren't all that great. I loved the show, though, and really wish they had at least recorded it because Norm Lewis truly sounded fantastic. So did Renée Elise Goldsberry, who played Sylvia. If we had a recording of HER singing "Night Letter," I might have known that it was "Did you remember you have to say S.W.A.K." Jonelle Allen sounds like she's saying "S.W.A.T" on the cast recording. I thought it was just some kind of kinky reference. Now, thanks to DR Elmore, I know what the frell she was really saying!

Re. Nickel Creek: I went to undergrad school with Chris Thile - the lead singer/mandolin player for Nickel Creek. He's a sweet guy and an AMAZING musician. He had a Grammy at age 12 and taught himself violin in 6 months when we were in school together. His dad, Scott, is/was the instrument technician at my alma mater. Very nice folks - a good family.

I believe they're scheduled to play the new Nokia Theatre on 44th & B'way on Oct. 7. I'd love to see him again...and they're a great group.

Jason

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2005, 07:25:10 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen, Nickel Creek's own Chris Thile (THEE-lee):

Jason

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2005, 07:30:16 AM »

According to TicketMaster, their show is only $25! Anyone interested??

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005, 07:36:06 AM »

Good morning!

I bolted out of bed, into my walking shorts, and headed out for my walk before the humidity got too oppressive. Glad I did it. I feel better about myself.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up