Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: EASE ON DOWN LA STRADA  (Read 25191 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:EASE ON DOWN LA STRADA
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2003, 09:09:02 AM »

Here he is, Boys...here he is, World...

HEEEERE'S JACK!!  *cue trumpets*

« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 09:09:51 AM by Maya »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2003, 09:10:31 AM »

We were doing a production of Steve Tesich's play Square One a few years ago.

He came into town for opening night and said that he had based his play on La Strada.  :D

I could see it in bits a pieces, but need to see the movie again.  Has any DR seen both and could help me out here?  ???

This is not a link to OUR production, but it tells a bit about the play.

http://www.nytheatre.com/nytheatre/square1.htm
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2003, 09:10:36 AM »

Fellow God RON - okay to all three.  ;D

Here is my new house...what do you think?

It looks a little dusty....
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 09:12:01 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2003, 09:13:37 AM »

LOL DR RON - oh it is, and the atmosphere is nothing to brag about either!

Thanks DR Maya - now just imagine me there in that outfit, lip syncing to Rosalind Russell's version of "Rose's Turn" and ya got it!

I think it's all "e's" and no "i's" DR Ann.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 09:14:21 AM by JRand53 »

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2003, 09:13:48 AM »

La Strada WAS a great movie....so sad.

How was the White Sheikh?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2003, 09:22:50 AM »

With all the talk about Neil Simon stuff yesterday, I don't remember anyone mentioning the film of PLAZA SUITE. (CALIFORNIA SUITE got some mentions for the "Visitor from London" segment.)

I think the movie is very stage bound; maybe it had to be that way, and I really dislike that they used different women in all three one acts but Walter Matthau in all three in a variety of wigs. I love Walter Matthau, but wouldn't the movie have been more appealing with three different leading men and three different leading women? I understand that the play used one leading man and one leading lady to provide a tour de force evening for them on stage. I have no criticisms of Maureen Stapleton (who did it on Broadway), Barbara Harris, or Lee Grant (hysterical in the third act), but I did get tired of Matthau trying to be versatile. Am I alone in my thoughts about this.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 09:24:27 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2003, 09:27:43 AM »

No DR MATTH - I had the same feelings about the movie of PLAZA SUITE.  I have seen all of it at different times, but could never watch the movie all the way through at one sitting.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2003, 09:29:03 AM »

Good day!

Yoo-hoo!!!

I'm here!!!!

Can't you see me waving from underneath the Round Table?  (literally)

Camelot opens tonight - well, at least the Gala Opening, tomorrow is the Press Opening - and that means I can start getting my life back.  I'm not saying that I've been having a bad life in Lerner & Loewe land, but it will be nice to be able to have a day that consists more of just "rehearsal" and "sleep" (I hope).  (Which has made me admire our own BK for his ability and steadfastness getting these notes up daily with his crazy schedule.)  The show has gone through an amazing transformation, and the casting through and through is impeccable, imho.

I have missed all of you here on HHW, and I know I've missed some birthdays, anniversaries, hot topics, etc... So....

Happy Birthday, (fill in your name here)!

Happy Anniversary, (fill in your name here)!

Welcome new DR, (fill in your name here!

Oh, yes, me too, I totally agree!

Oh, no, me too, I totally don't agree!

Hmm, I don't know...

Etc., etc., etc.....  -Ah, a King & I reference.

Oh, if you check out arenastage.org, you can view the cast list and bios - although the font color and background make it a little hard to read - ??? - I may have to talk to the webmaster at the theatre about that.  Production photos should be up next week.  And I actually got a bio this time too!  -Alas, the part about me being a "Scarlette" did get edited out (???), but at least Jeepers Creepers got a plug.  *And I have already people ask about it too!  :D

WOW! - This is the first time I've used the actual reply form - it's very neat having all the editing options on a tool bar - now if I only knew what they all did.  ???

Well, I have some opening presents to wrap, card - and some still to buy, so, I'm off down my own Strada for a little bit.

It's nice to be back.  *And thanks to those DRs who touched based with me during my absence.  There was nothing to be concerned about, but it was nice being concerned about.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2003, 09:30:45 AM »

Just a reminder of a movie star we lost in 2003.  :'(

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2003, 09:30:46 AM »

Although this is not "Ask DR" day, is just happened to think of a fun "Ask Dr" day question:

At what point in the season do you break out the Christmas music CDs?

I always wait until the day after Thanksgiving. I have some friends who listen to Christmas music all year long, and some who don't listen to it at all. But I limit myself to the day after Thanksgiving and stop listening the day after Christmas. That is just the time that I feel the Christmasyest.

...And for those who don't celebrate Christmas, do you still enjoy listening to Christmas music? Or do you have other holiday music that you listent to?

(Also, I am NOT one of those people who gets all up in a twist about stores putting Christmas stuff out early...I for one LOVE to see the Christmas stuff out as early as possible...it is fun to look through. If I don't see the decorations on the shelf by at least October then I am mighty disappointed! Frankly I would be happy to have Christmas stuff on the shelf all year around...but the Christmas music I would get a little sick of if I listened to it all year round. Go figure.)

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2003, 09:31:49 AM »

Welcome back, DR Jose. Always nice to see one of our sheep return to the fold.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2003, 09:32:28 AM »

DR JOSE - my birthday twin!   Run, boy, ruuuuuuun!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2003, 09:32:29 AM »

Oh, and for dealing with jerks...  Being in this business... ah, well... You know...

Most of the time, I just ignore them, and channel my energy towards more productive uses.  However, there are those times when I rather enjoy giving back to them what they are dishing out - especially if there are others around me who feel the same way.  Kind of a team effort.  There's a strange enjoyment in that kind of sport.  It may not be the most charitable attidude at times, but sometimes it helps me get through the day - or at least the rehearsal.  ;-)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2003, 09:33:14 AM »

JRand53, thank you for the lovely shot of Vera Ralston! I just loved her when I was a kid. And watching her in MURDER IN THE MUSIC HALL just recently reminded me that she was not really as bad of an actress as some seem to believe.

I wonder if the Oscar telecast next year will mention her, or others that we lost. Lately they only mention the major stars, no longer do they seem to mention the smaller stars  >:(

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2003, 09:34:45 AM »

I do enjoy Christmas music, and I usually add one or two Christmas CDs to my collection each year and start them in their annual rotation. I'll probably start Thanksgiving week breaking them out. I have to admit that a couple of local FM stations have already started with the 24 hour Christmas music, so I've been listening to Christmas music already when in the car. I find much of it either really soothing or bracing and jolly.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2003, 09:39:54 AM »

I listen to Christmas music from Thanksgiving until Christmas Eve!

Hey!  DRJose just made up a great new word:

Attidude!

And I agree DR MBarnum, I love to see the shops all stocked up for Christmas.
But it is also sad after the holiday to see the lonesome ornaments and tinsel that didn't find a home.   :'(

There were some great pictures of Levenworth on the site yesterday from DR Jed and TCB.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 09:43:08 AM by JRand53 »

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2003, 09:42:29 AM »

Jose--WB!  I'm glad to hear that Camelot rehearsals went so well, and break a leg tonight!  (Is it okay to say break a leg to an assistant conductor???)

I'm not sure when I will be seeing the show but I will definitely go sometime during the run!  

MBarnum--I grew up in a household with a Jewish mother and a Catholic father.  We've celebrated Christmas AND Hannukah for as long as I can remember.  So yes, I LOVE to see Christmas stuff come out right after Thanksgiving.  I just adore the holiday atmosphere...the holly, the red and green, the Santas everywhere, the lights, the carols (I NEVER get sick of "The Bells" for instance).  One aspect though of the holiday season I do NOT like....the mall!!!  Which reminds me *groan*...I SO need to start on my shopping....

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2003, 09:46:15 AM »

VERA HRUBA RALSTON,my pretties!!!

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2003, 09:46:17 AM »

WOW...re-reading that POST I am VERY emphatic about CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2003, 09:47:50 AM »

Carly Simon has a new Christmas album out -- on Rhino label.

I got it when I ordered "Gypsy," but I haven't listened to it yet.

Yes, my "Gypsy" has that shrill, almost metallic, sound to it, too!  I keep wanting to turn something down, but there's nothing to turn down.

They shoudl remaster it and replace it, gratis, to all who bought it.

Does anyone else "prefer" the alternate "Rose's Turn" to the one they used?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2003, 09:50:00 AM »

Is it me, or is page one in Cinerama AND Camera 65?

Maya, The White Sheik is one of my all-time favorite movies, but unfortunately the Criterion DVD is nowhere near as good as La Strada.  It's too dark, too contrasty, and it's missing it's Part Two title card and the entire shot that precedes it (for those who think Criterion can do no wrong - if Columbia had made that faux pas everyone would be screaming and stomping their feet, but because it's Criterion it's somehow fine).

Emily

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2003, 09:53:11 AM »

Good afternoon/morning everyone!!

I am being very very very very bad today.  I am on strike.  I refuse to leave the house today if it means I have to wait SIX HOURS from the time the bus/metro works and the start of my first and only class.  

I think I need to start picketing.  Anyone care to help me make up a chant to sing while picketing? :)

The good thing is that I am now remoting workwise which means I MIGHT just be able to make money this month.  Yea!  I get to read and summarize THOUSANDS of back issues of the "Canadian Firearm Digest" which is kind of a message board like HHW but with a completely different subject matter.  The posters there are not nearly as witty as we are.  Although they do have a knack at creating hilarious nicknames... "Canuckistan" for Canada?  "Stalin Rock" for former Minister of Justice Allan Rock?  "Jean Cretin" for Prime Minister Jean Chrétien?  The "LIEberal Party" for the Liberal Party?  I shouldn't be laughing since they're dissing the program I'm working for but they can be very funny at times...

I am extremely non-confrontational in most cases to the point where people can sometimes walk all over me.  This really only happens with people I don't know very well (and especially sales people in stores for some reason).  With people I do know well - like DR Andrea - I'm afraid that I can sometimes cross over the line in the other direction and even can sometimes be considered "jerky" on occasions.  But I warn people who have potential for being recipients of my teasing/borderline jerkiness that I don't mean what I say half the time.    

Congrats JRAND on your recent divination.  :)

MBarnum I LOOOOOVVVVEEEE Christmas carols and like hearing them as early as possible (probably around when the stores start playing them in September! :) )

As for non-Christians' reactions to Christmas carols and other associated paraphenalia, when I took a basic overview on Judaism, Christianity and Islam, the prof. who was teaching the section on Judaism spent half a class going on this whole rant about how much he likes Christmas lights and thinks they're pretty and that he has been asked my reporters for statements regarding public christmas displays and what his reaction to them were and he has basically told them to shove off.  

For some reason, that is one of the few things I remember from that very borin section of the course.  He was a bad lecturer when he wasn't ranting about religious tolerance in the form of christmas lights. :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2003, 09:56:11 AM »

what is everyone's favorite christmas carol?

Mine is "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" but preferably sung by a HUGE choir.  

Can someone with a better sense of music history tell me for my own trivia knowledge, I know that Mendelsohn wrote the music for HtHAS but did he also write the lyrics (which I presume weren't originally in English)?  Isn't Mendelsohn a Jewish name?  Hmmm....
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2003, 10:01:40 AM »

Favorite Religious carol: "Do You Hear What I Hear?"

Favorite secular Christmas song: "Silver Bells"

But I have so many that I adore: "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," "White Christmas," "Sleigh Ride" (with or without words), "The Christmas Song," and on and on.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2003, 10:13:18 AM »

The young girl in LIFE WITH MIKEY is Christina Vidal.  I remember seeing her recently in some tv series but I don't remember which one.

Except for something new which I play as soon as I get it, the Christmas music starts the day after Thanksgiving.  This year I got the Barbara Cook Christmas album and I am looking forward to the 2003 Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS CD which is due out this week.  Of course my all time Christmas CD is A BROADWAY CHRISTMAS produced by this Jewish Guy with the initals BK.

Question for DRs: Can someone explain the difference between "model" and "supermodel"?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2003, 10:16:30 AM »

Emily--lol about the prof!  I do love Christmas lights too....but some people take it WAY too far also...some people (oh a Styne and Sondheim reference) use enough electricity on their Christmas displays to keep Monte Carlo going for a few weeks.

BK--thanks for The White Sheik report!  I guess a grainy, dark print is better than nothing though!

I think I may have seen a Criterion print of Juliet of the Spirits....now THAT was colorful!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2003, 10:21:33 AM »

Favourite Christmas carols:  Good King Wenceslas; God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Favourite  Christmas song:  The Christmas Song;  White Christmas; I'll Be Home For Christmas; and a cowboy Christmas song by Michael Martin Murphy, Corn, Water, and Wood

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2003, 10:22:48 AM »

Thanks WEL!  Now the name registers.

Hmmm...let me try to explain the difference, even though I may be wrong...

A supermodel is runway, usually over 6 feet and has some degree of celebrity.  I think regular models are not always that tall, do print more than runway, and aren't quite as famous.

And usually it's supermodels that are married to famous aging rock stars.  Models just get the leftovers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2003, 10:31:23 AM »

Hark the Harold Angels Sing is also an Italian Mafia Song.  It tells the tale of a stool-pigeon named Harold Angels.  It's very moving.

Jed

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2003, 10:31:55 AM »

Unless somebody sneaks something in just ahead of me, this will be Post #7,000!!!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up