Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: EASE ON DOWN LA STRADA  (Read 25192 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
EASE ON DOWN LA STRADA
« on: November 20, 2003, 12:08:37 AM »

Well, if you've read the notes you know what is wanted of you, so if you know what is wanted of you you must have read the notes, hence you know what is wanted of you so please do what is wanted of you and if you don't know what is wanted of you please read the notes so that you know what is wanted of you.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 12:10:41 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:EASE ON DOWN LA STRADA
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 12:33:07 AM »

I am not one for confrontaion. My knee jerk reaction to jerks is to ignore them. Reaction is what jerks rely on getting. In thirty years of teaching Snr High School students I do not remember ever losing my temper or control. "Jerkish" behaviour is not funny nor clever. Thus it does not deserve a reaction. I probably don't frequent places where I am likely to encounter such people. Wit can be a weapon but has to be handled carefully. Soda fountains are (and were not) part of Oz culture so the concept of a Soda Jerk is alien to us too. I know you needed to store that fact away.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 02:33:42 AM »

Like Tom from OZ, I usually ignore them and then get too busy to talk or work or be involved with the person in anyway.  >:(

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 02:34:12 AM »

I am working on become an HHW GOD...and that should happen momentarily!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 02:36:00 AM »

I can feel it......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 02:37:03 AM »

Faster than a speeding bullet....more powerful that a locomotive.....able to leap tall buildings in a single bound....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 02:37:31 AM »

Look! Up in the sky......it's a bird...it's a plane....it's.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 02:37:52 AM »

It's a bird...it's a plane....it's.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2003, 02:40:02 AM »

It's me....  And for my first post as an HHW GOD, here is your Allison Hayes Picture of the Week!

Michael

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2003, 04:07:10 AM »

As for JERKS. I believe in the Karma thing. What goes around comes around.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2003, 04:55:51 AM »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2003, 06:46:59 AM »

How do I deal with jerks?  To use a phrase from the zookeeper I learned here on HHW - "Don't Feed the Animals".

And speaking of Ms. Cyndi Lauper, have any other DRs seen a film she is in called Life With Mikey?  It's one of my favorite "unknown" films of the 90s (1993).  The "name" star is Michael J. Fox, in a role that looks like it could have been written for Matthew Broderick, but the real treat for Broadway fans is the supporting cast which in addition to Ms. Lauper co-stars Nathan Lane and features cameos by such people as Mandy Patinkin, Christine Baranski, Victor Garber, Christopher Durang, (as Santa!), Heather MacRae, Stephen Bogardus, Kate Burton and more.  It's directed by James Lapine and features an Alan Menken score, a beautiful Stephen Schwartz song ("Cold Enough To Snow") and William Ivey Long costumes.  It pops up frequently on cable, so watch for it.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Angela

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2003, 07:05:18 AM »

Sorry I've been errant and truant -- I've had a head cold.  Oh what a lovely feeling -- to have one nostril plugged up and the other one running.  ::)

Okay, back to the topic.  Hmm, confrontation -- I hate it, but sometimes you have to deal with it.  I usually try to deal gently with the other party.  If that doesn't work -- then off with their heads!  ;D
Where ever you go, there you are.........

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2003, 07:20:32 AM »

All hail to God JRand53  ;D

Congratulate yourself!!

I think I have a looooooong way to go before I gain Goddom. Heck, I am just happy to finally be a full member!  :o

I find that ignoring jerks is the best policy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2003, 07:47:09 AM »

Thank you DR MBarnum!  ;D

DR WEL - Life With Mikey is a movie I enjoy.  It still makes me laugh when he refers to one of his clients, a young female belting singer as "The Mermanator!"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2003, 07:53:06 AM »

I remember the days when people on the East coast would complain when the notes weren't up in the morning - here we are, the morning, and there are only three or four people perusing instead of our usual East coast plethora, and fourteen posts.  I'll be patient, though, even if it's more fun to get up, log on, and see thirty posts.  I'll be patient, though.  

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2003, 08:00:25 AM »

Ah, Life With Mikey!  It has been too long since I saw that movie...it was one of my favorites growing up and I watched it repeatedly.  Miss Cyndi Lauper was indeed adorable (when is she going to play Audrey, huh?) and I remembered being impressed by the girl who played the young actress Michael J. Fox discovers.  I wonder what ever happened to her.

You know though, now that I know so many theatre celebs are in it (like I really knew who Christine Baranski was when I was 9  :P) I shall have to watch Life With Mikey again now.

Hmmm....I tend to be rather nonconfrontational with jerks and cretins, but I do have a limit.  I usually ignore people like that but if they annoy me enough, I have been known to fling a lacerating comment or two.  But people like that just bring you down...I try not to associate with them, although I suppose it's inevitable in some cases.

Jrand--how would you like YOUR shrine??

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2003, 08:18:55 AM »

Oh....just a BIG spotlight and my own orchestra...nothing too showy.

Name in lights on the [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]MARQUEE[/move]

of course.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]The JRAND53 SHOW[/move]

It's all about ME - and I wrote it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 08:22:00 AM by JRand53 »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2003, 08:31:36 AM »

Hmmmm.... a new god, eh? The heavens are getting a little crowded with all you gods, aren't they? :D

I commented on LA STRADA yesterday, but I just wanted to say I'm very eager to get this release. I never got it on laserdisc because it was SO outrageously expensive, and I'm glad now I waited.

I've never seen LIKE WITH MIKEY all the way through. I've only seen bits and pieces of it, but seeing who all was a part of it makes me want to see it completely all the more. I'll start looking around for it on the various movie channels.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2003, 08:35:23 AM »

I had to learn, while young, to walk away from jerks, cretins and morons...I learned they hit back, and sometimes they hit hard!

During my career in the Navy, believe me when I say I encountered more than my share (in fact, possibly as many as ALL our shares) of jerks and cretins.  Yes, of course, there were a few morons in every batch, but they generally stayed out of the way.

Of course, when you relocate every two or three years, you have to maintain a great deal of flexibility.  Some of the cretinous/jerkish behavior you encounter is not really the norm for the individuals displaying it.  Sometimes there is fear and uncertainty in folks who then set up barriers making them seem like cretins and jerks.  And sometimes, they are simply hanging around powerful cretins/jerks and yearning to be cut free.  Thus, you learn to detect the loose masonry and can then chip away at the walls to bring those souls out into the light.  

But yes, there are born jerks.  And cretins are a natural part of the order of things.  I don't think it's learned behavior in the worst of them -- it's definitely genetic.

Today, I find myself "Braking for Morons."

I think it's more fun to find kindred spirits with whom I can laugh and laugh and laugh at the jerks/cretins.  It's good karma, I believe, to have a way to feel good about people who thrive on being boors.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 08:44:58 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2003, 08:35:27 AM »

Oy. Does anyone know anything at all from Visual Basic 6? I'm supposed to open a file thingie I made in class, but when I click on it, I get this dealie-ma-bob saying that it won't open. It wants me to pick a program from a list, but Visual Basic 6 isn't on it.  ???
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2003, 08:41:22 AM »

DR Sandra sometimes the list gives you the "use any program" option or a "Search for program" option that finds one to open the file.

Otherwise you may have to convert!  Which is a lot like being confirmed only the parties are better.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2003, 08:41:45 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]JRAND -- WELCOME TO VALHAINSIE!  COME! LET US MAKE WINE FROM TENDER GRAPES! LET US DANCE THE DANCES THAT STIR THE SOUL!  LET US WREAK HAVOC UNTIL HAVOC SQUEAKS!  And then we can do lunch![/move][/b]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 08:42:13 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2003, 08:46:52 AM »

It doesn't have the "any program" thing and I tried browsing, but I couldn't find it. I put in a search for "Visual Basic 6" on the entire computer and got nothing. Is it something I'm doing wrong? Other people have uploaded it to the teacher's file, so it's been opening for them.

I swear, I REALLY do not like my Computers class.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2003, 08:48:03 AM »

I was reading a video magazine the other day, and was sad to learn that actor Tom Hulce has left the acting profession. After scoring an Oscar nomination for AMADEUS, a Tony nomination for A FEW GOOD MEN, and an Emmy Award for THE HEIDI CHRONICLES, he is no longer acting nor interested in talking about his career. I always liked his work, and I feel sad he's no longer going to be doing new things that I could watch.

John Landis broke the news in the article I was reading about the making of the new special DVD edition of ANIMAL HOUSE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2003, 08:58:09 AM »

How do I deal with jerks?  To use a phrase from the zookeeper I learned here on HHW - "Don't Feed the Animals".

And speaking of Ms. Cyndi Lauper, have any other DRs seen a film she is in called Life With Mikey?  It's one of my favorite "unknown" films of the 90s (1993).  The "name" star is Michael J. Fox, in a role that looks like it could have been written for Matthew Broderick, but the real treat for Broadway fans is the supporting cast which in addition to Ms. Lauper co-stars Nathan Lane and features cameos by such people as Mandy Patinkin, Christine Baranski, Victor Garber, Christopher Durang, (as Santa!), Heather MacRae, Stephen Bogardus, Kate Burton and more.  It's directed by James Lapine and features an Alan Menken score, a beautiful Stephen Schwartz song ("Cold Enough To Snow") and William Ivey Long costumes.  It pops up frequently on cable, so watch for it.

And doesn't Liz Callaway sing the theme song or some song in the movie?  I remember reading about that, although I've never seen the movie.

As for dealing with jerks, I try to avoid confrontations and let my sunny disposish (an obscure Manhattan Transfer reference) win them over.  I've been fortunate (from what I can remember) to never have been involved in any major or very many minor issues.   :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2003, 09:01:59 AM »

DR Sarah - you have reached the tippy-top of my computer knowledge - you may have to ask your professor, or a fellow student how to proceed.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2003, 09:05:01 AM »

Thanks for trying to help, JRand. It's probably something I did when I put the thing together in class. The girl I worked with hasn't uploaded it, so it's probably our file.

Congratulations on your god status!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2003, 09:06:22 AM »

Fellow God RON - okay to all three.  ;D

Here is my new house...what do you think?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2003, 09:07:57 AM »

Good morning all

I deal with jerks with a lot of patience..some might say too much.  I dislike hurting people and will avoid it if at all possible.  That being said, I also have no problem whatsoever with confrontation.  If I know I'm in the right, I welcome it.  Verbal battles fascinate me (which is why I majored in philosophy) but I don't do physical ones.  Being a girl, though, I don't encounter them very much.  (was that a stereotypical generalization?  Oh well.. :))  I think the last person I outright physically fought with was my sister when we were kids.  
So I guess how I deal with jerks depends on how well I know said jerk.
If he or she is a friend of mine, and just ACTING like a jerk, I'm more likely to let it slide to avoid hurting them.  If the jerk is a born jerk (which aren't usually friends of mine anyway) I'll let 'em have it with both barrels if necessary.

Off to class...

(By the way, had some wild dreams about HHW people last night...I'll post later)

(has anyone noticed I'm really into the parenthises today?)

(does anyone know if I spelled parenthises right?)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up