Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EYES HAVE IT  (Read 94263 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE EYES HAVE IT
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2005, 08:20:50 AM »

Have you seen the new DHL commercail regarding customer service?  Its hysterical.  It is also very similar to the treatment we get around here

I have seen that commercial and it is hilarious!

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2005, 08:37:34 AM »

No sorry, DR MattH, I did not watch INVASION.  But I did watch APPRENTICE: Martha Stewart and liked it very much. It is very similar to the original apprentice.

There are very few new shows that interested me when i read about them. I will definitely watch GHOST WHISPERER tomorrow though.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2005, 08:42:55 AM »

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2005, 08:48:30 AM »

Did anyone watch INVASION last night and want to offer up a critique? DR Jennifer, you said before that you were going to watch it. Did you? Anyone else?

Yeah, I planned on Tivo'ing it but I wound up watching it instead.  I can't exactly say that it was compelling, but I wouldn't call it bad or uninvolving, either.

It felt kind of rushed.  In the opening scenes there was some sense of dread about the approaching hurricane (and later with the falling lights), but by the second commercial break, the storm had passed.  After that there was just a series of "oddities", none of which I found really intriguing.

The strengths of the show are its cast and the direction by Tommie Schlamme (I particularly liked the doctor/mother and both daughters.)  The writing is also strong when it deals on the personal level--the show throws a large cast in short amount of time, but I had no trouble discerning their tangled relationships, plus some underlaying feelings that I'm sure will eventually come into play.  If the invasion mystery builds and has enough interesting twists, I might give this show a go.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2005, 08:50:27 AM »

I watched "Invasion" last night.

If you DON'T WANT to know about the story concept, or the "gist" of what happens, read no further.

I could barely contain my amusement at the credits, being all "created by, written by, produced by, conceived by, dreamed by, etc., etc.", (or so it seemed)..."Shaun Cassidy."

And when Shaun wasn't creating the world...er...umm.."word," everything else was being done by Thomas Schlamme.

The show was very good.  No wasted  time...really good effects re: hurricane and aftermath.  Nice tension buildups.

But...there are lights in the water...and they attack people who, when they're alone, are later found naked.  And they smell different.  And folks who know/love them don't think they're REALLY their loved ones any more.  Oh, yeah!  And they "commune" with others who have also been found naked after being lost in the area where there are lights in the water.

It's all WAY TOO reminiscent, in concept (sorry, Shaun!!!) to "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 09:49:31 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2005, 09:14:37 AM »

Wow, a TV program discussion in which I can actually participate!  I watched the beginning of Invasion with DH Richard after I got home from work last night.

...The strengths of the show are its cast and the direction by Tommie Schlamme (I particularly liked the doctor/mother and both daughters.)...

We kept saying to each other, about the doctor/mother, "What have we seen her in?"  She looked so familiar.  DH finally got on IMDB and determined that we'd seen her in the Nero Wolfe series.  Of course.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 09:15:18 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2005, 09:36:25 AM »

Wow, a TV program discussion in which I can actually participate!  I watched the beginning of Invasion with DH Richard after I got home from work last night.We kept saying to each other, about the doctor/mother, "What have we seen her in?"  She looked so familiar.  DH finally got on IMDB and determined that we'd seen her in the Nero Wolfe series.  Of course.

Looking at IMDB, I realized I had seen her in that A Very Married Christmas TV movie, but she didn't register with me in that.  Last night she reminded me a lot of Kathy Baker in Picket Fences.

Her name is Kari Matchett, BTW (Bite The Whale!)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2005, 09:39:48 AM »

Have you seen the new DHL commercail regarding customer service?  Its hysterical.  It is also very similar to the treatment we get around here

Don't think I've seen the DHL spot, but will watch for it.  My coworkers all agree that there seems to be a real epidemic of weirdness among our clients.  Sound familiar, DR Jason?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 09:41:23 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jason

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2005, 09:40:35 AM »

I thought it was interesting that they prefaced "Invasion" with a "In light of recent events" disclaimer. I understand WHY...just thought it was interesting.

Jason

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2005, 09:48:28 AM »

It's 12:48 and carrot-stick girl is grazing on some almonds. She goes to lunch in an hour and a half - does she REALLY need to smack her lips around a whole bag of almonds right now? And she wonders why she lost her dancer's figure... ::)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2005, 09:48:32 AM »

I thought it was interesting that they prefaced "Invasion" with a "In light of recent events" disclaimer. I understand WHY...just thought it was interesting.

I didn't think what was shown was THAT graphic.

But...touchy-feely...nothing exceeds quite as well as excess.

And they got "points" with some of the audience.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 09:49:00 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2005, 09:49:09 AM »

One Katrina aftermath story that I've been following has to do with the American Library Association, of which I've been a member for 30+ years:

"Due to the tragedy that has befallen New Orleans and the fact that it is scheduled to be the site of ALA's 2006 Annual Conference, there have been many questions regarding our plans for this conference.  Most importantly, there will be an ALA 2006 Annual Conference. If it is not held in New Orleans, it will be held elsewhere. Conference Services has been in talks with other cities and there are other alternatives. We will advise attendees of the exact location before Early Bird registration opens December 1, 2005."

The real irony, now that we're watching Rita take aim at Texas, is that ALA's midwinter conference is scheduled for San Antonio in January, 2006.

Jason

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2005, 10:01:28 AM »

Sounds like someone has it out for the librarians.

San Antonio is in the center of Texas - well enough inland that it shouldn't be affected by the hurricane. Now, it is entirely possible that San Antone could be wiped out by a tornado, though... If that were to happen, I think I'd get out of the book business if I were you!   ;)

I've been following the stories about the zoos and aquariums. Thank God someone had the foresight to build the Audubon Zoo on high ground.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 10:04:34 AM by Jason »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2005, 10:07:03 AM »

Off to a closing I go...  have a lovely day
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 05:29:33 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2005, 10:21:01 AM »

Goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob g’goo!

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2005, 10:23:01 AM »

Sounds like someone has it out for the librarians.

San Antonio is in the center of Texas - well enough inland that it shouldn't be affected by the hurricane. Now, it is entirely possible that San Antone could be wiped out by a tornado, though... If that were to happen, I think I'd get out of the book business if I were you!   ;)

Believe me, retirement is looking better and better!

FJL

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2005, 10:30:50 AM »

Do people know that our postings here show up as results in Google searches?  Heather Spore (who was in LAST STARFIGHTER) is starting perfs in Two River's UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG tonight, and I googled to see if any of the coverage of UMBRELLAS mentioned her role in LAST STARFIGHTER, and one of the results was my posting about it a while back from right here on this board.   Very cool, indeed.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2005, 10:34:53 AM »

Throat is starting to feel more normal.  You know how it goes when you have that little "bile" in your throat and it feels all weird and sore and everything.  Blechhh.

Thanks for sharing. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2005, 10:36:23 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

google is how a lot of people find this here site.

I was awakened by a telephonic call.  I finally managed to fall asleep at about five, and the call came in at ten-twenty, so I at least got a few hours of sleep.  And if one has to be awakened by a telephonic call it should always be a voice as lovely as the one that woke me - Miss Linda Purl.

George

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2005, 10:48:19 AM »

Today is Elephant Appreciation Day.

It is also National Centenarian's Day.

(Interesting pairing.)

It is St. Maurice's Day, the patron saint of knife grinders.

And it is St. Phoca's Day, the patron saint of gardeners.

(That's for those of you with no interest in knife grinding.)

And according to my Futurama calendar, it's "Hobbit Day" (I know not where) and Joan Jett's birthday (born 1960). ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2005, 10:51:50 AM »

TOD
Attack of The Killer Tomatoes

And then there's Kondom des Grauens (aka "Killer Condom")...which I've never seen. ::)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 10:54:37 AM by George »

Jason

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2005, 11:31:55 AM »

Someone kill me now. I just paid some bills and ended up paying out $400 in one fell swoop. We don't get paid until next week, so I'm stressing just a tad. I did call my boss at the Met, though, and let him know that I'm available to work, so hopefully he'll get me on the schedule ASAP.

At least I have some money in the bank this year - remember a couple summers ago when I had $1.25 in my checking account? That was the summer I did Bucks Co. Playhouse. Damn them...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2005, 11:32:06 AM »

Of course yesterday, I got the name wrong....it's Miss Shirley FEENEY!  And the meeting is today.  Perhaps I need one of those new fangled PDA's to keep track of everybody!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2005, 11:34:11 AM »

THE CRAWLING EYE....I always wondered if they came up with that premise after they rejected THE CRAWLING EAR and THE CRAWLING NOSE.  Neither would have been as scary as THE CRAWLING EYEBALL!

TOD:

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, of course
The Creeping Terror
Phantom From Space
Beginning of the End
Frankenstein's Daughter
The Crawling Hand (cousin of The Crawling Eye, no doubt)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jason

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2005, 11:50:09 AM »

I have never given the Evil Eye to anyone, but I'm giving it to carrot-stick right this minute. She's done with her almonds and has moved on to potato chips with her lunch. SAVE ME!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2005, 12:00:04 PM »

DRGinny, I just answered your PM.

DRMichael Barnum, this morning I sent you the latest Village Voice for your pre-Manhattan perusal.

I finally read yesterday's posts:  I, too, liked MY NAME IS EAR, but I find THE OFFICE a hard go, because Steve Carel's character is such a total oaf.

On another topic of yesterday, I can't say I'm looking forward to the new SWEENEY TODD, since I feel it's an off-Broadway experimental piece rather than a Broadway show at Broadway prices, but as to the work itself, I think it's the greatest opera written in the past 40 years.

DRGinny, just saw Douglas, the chief librarian; he was weird in 1978 and he's more peculiar now!  What is it about big fishes and small ponds?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2005, 12:00:56 PM »

I have never given the Evil Eye to anyone, but I'm giving it to carrot-stick right this minute. She's done with her almonds and has moved on to potato chips with her lunch. SAVE ME!!!

DRJason, poison the bitch!

More to follow.  Ta!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2005, 12:01:15 PM »

THE CRAWLING EYE....I always wondered if they came up with that premise after they rejected THE CRAWLING EAR and THE CRAWLING NOSE.  Neither would have been as scary as THE CRAWLING EYEBALL!

Isn't it based on a true story?
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2005, 12:01:57 PM »

It lives 50 feet beneath the city.
It's 36 feet long. It weighs 2,000 pounds.
...And it's about to break out!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2005, 12:03:53 PM »

I finally read yesterday's posts:  I, too, liked MY NAME IS EAR, but I find THE OFFICE a hard go, because Steve Carel's character is such a total oaf.

MY NAME IS EAR?  An alternate title to DR Jrand's THE CRAWLING EAR, perhaps?

Too bad you typed THE OFFICE correctly.    :D
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up