Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EYES HAVE IT  (Read 94216 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE EYES HAVE IT
« Reply #210 on: September 22, 2005, 08:13:41 PM »

After JOEY left the premises, I switched over to the season premiere of CSI. Wow! Did that everf contain some surprises!

And it's not too hard to figure out who the accomplice is either. They MUST be making it that obvious on purpose.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2005, 08:13:59 PM »

We just returned from a faboo evening at the movies. We saw All About Eve (we being Jason, Anthony and me). The print was not the best but the company was wonderful and a great time was had. Jason had not seen the movie before but afterwards he was quoting lines with the best of them (I'm 40, Forrrttyyy, Four, Oh, that just slipped out).

A Thursday tradition has been born. Next week is Mildred Pierce, another movie not seen by Jason. Next week perhaps we will be joined by Jose and Larry and other NYers who want to mosey down to Chelsea.

Awwww--I envy DR Jason for experiencing classic movies like this for the very first time.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #212 on: September 22, 2005, 08:16:35 PM »

Ghoulish Page 8 Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #213 on: September 22, 2005, 08:17:52 PM »

Glad Jason has been inducted into the ALL ABOUT EVE brotherhood.

MILDRED PIERCE should be an equally good time.

Matt H.

« Reply #214 on: September 22, 2005, 08:20:32 PM »

Since I had no intention of watching Mandy Patinkin's latest TV series, I had the DVR play back tonight's REUNION episode which came on opposite CSI.

More surprises, some suspense, a bit of melodramatic nonsense with a baby given up for adoption and then the mother changing her mind. But now we've seen two of the six protagonists in present day, so there are only four left who are possible murder candidates.

Matt H.

« Reply #215 on: September 22, 2005, 08:22:08 PM »

After I watched that, I spent some time at the DVD to-watch shelf trying to make deicisions on at least one DVD to watch tomorrow. I did finally decide, and I'll also have some things I'm DVRing during the morning hours.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2005, 08:27:37 PM »

A friend has asked what I know about THE MARRIAGE OF BETTY AND BOO. Other than it once being an off-Broadway show, I know nothing.

Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

Christopher Durang's BETTY AND BOO is an extremely bitter look at a sour marriage viewed through a forty year or so period.  I remember that Durang said that it was pretty much autobiographical and that he played himself and served as the narrator.

I am a huge fan of Durang's work, but this one was a hard pill to swallow.  I came out feeling cranky and with a headache.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: September 22, 2005, 08:32:51 PM »

Christopher Durang's BETTY AND BOO is an extremely bitter look at a sour marriage viewed through a forty year or so period.  I remember that Durang said that it was pretty much autobiographical and that he played himself and served as the narrator.

I am a huge fan of Durang's work, but this one was a hard pill to swallow.  I came out feeling cranky and with a headache.

Thank you so much, DR Dan (the Man). I will pass this info along to my friend.

Obviously, it's NOT a musical!  ;D

FJL

« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2005, 08:35:13 PM »

But with all the Bette Davis talk today, I'm reminded that I think it's THE MARRIAGE OF BETTE AND BOO.  That spelling will lead to more info on google, at least.

FJL

« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2005, 08:40:42 PM »

Hmm..this is my 360th post.  That's 20 times CHAI.  Standard gift for a family of four attending a wedding or bar-mitvah.

So, L'chaim everybody.

Matt H.

« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2005, 08:42:17 PM »

But with all the Bette Davis talk today, I'm reminded that I think it's THE MARRIAGE OF BETTE AND BOO.  That spelling will lead to more info on google, at least.

Thanks, DR FJL.

Matt H.

« Reply #221 on: September 22, 2005, 08:43:18 PM »

And now I think I'm off to bed. I am SO hoping it's cool enough tomorrow to get in another walk. This morning's walk wasn't especially pleasant.

Good night, all.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #222 on: September 22, 2005, 08:50:13 PM »

Bad Sci-Fi I enjoy:
PSYCHOMANIA
Starring George Sanders of ALL ABOUT EVE fame, it was, perhaps, a lesser role. Some say it led him to suicide, which is odd because the film is about a British motorcycle gang that discovers the key to eternal life is found through committing suicide.

It features a great scene of Nicky Henson being buried astride his motorcycle by his gang, while one of them sings a great little folk tune:
"And the world never knew his name, but the chosen few know of his fame. Come join his company, riding free..."

That's all I got for today.

Jason

« Reply #223 on: September 22, 2005, 08:52:42 PM »

Mazeltov!

I'm FINALLY home from Chelsea where, as DR Ben mentioned, we saw "All About Eve" and had many good laughs. We ran into my friend, Michael, who was supposed to meet someone who never showed up, so he sat with us and we had a gay old time. Take that however you wish.

It was so nice to see all of them. DR Ben and DP Ant are two of the sweetest, kindest people you will ever want to meet in your lives. I look forward to "Mildred Pierce" next week. Some upcoming features include:

Oct.: "Vertigo," "Psycho," and "The Birds."
Nov.: "Rebel Without A Cause," "Giant" and some other James Dean movie I can't remember right now.

Jose, Rodzinski, TPunk, Elmore, FJL and anyone else from around the NYC area is welcome to join us next Thursday for Ms. Crawford. :)

"I call myself Phoebe."

Jason

« Reply #224 on: September 22, 2005, 08:58:45 PM »

Oh, huzzah!! Ms. Suzanne Somers' show will be eligible in the Special Theatrical Event category, thus giving her an even bigger edge on the competition. ::)

I'm very happy to hear about the "Recreating a Role" award. I think Howard McGillin deserves one just for the number of times he's had to sing "Music of the Night." :)

François de Paris

« Reply #225 on: September 22, 2005, 09:04:22 PM »

From jimhillmedia.com

"Do you want to know the real reason that Mouse House managers are finally softening their position on this somewhat controversial 1946 release (SONG OF THE SOUTH)? Not because they've suddenly realized that this Walt Disney Productions picture is a great unreleased classic (Or even a particularly good film). But -- rather -- because bootleg "Song of the South" DVDs have continued to turn up on eBay.

I kid you not, folks. It was this that finally convinced Disney execs that there's a potentially huge market out there for a legitimate DVD of this movie. The lengths that people would go to (I.E. Bidding on an unauthorized copy of the Japanese version of this film) in order to get their hands on "Song of the South."

So next year, when you're getting ready to pop the authorized version of "Song of the South" into your DVD player, please remember to pause for a moment and thank the bootleggers who actually made this disc possible. For it was only through their illegal efforts that the Walt Disney Company officials finally  came around to thinking that: "Hey, maybe there really is some money to be made off of producing a legitimate DVD of this motion picture."

François de Paris

« Reply #226 on: September 22, 2005, 09:07:28 PM »

Nov.: "Rebel Without A Cause," "Giant" and some other James Dean movie I can't remember right now!

Try HARD, Jason!

There are NOT that many left! LOL!

"East of.....

MBarnum

« Reply #227 on: September 22, 2005, 09:15:16 PM »

TCB, you new avatar scared the H - E - double hockey sticks out of me!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 09:53:45 PM by MBarnum »

Cillaliz

« Reply #228 on: September 22, 2005, 09:27:00 PM »

TCB, you new avatar scared the H - O - double hockey sticks out of me!

Isn't that H-E- double hockey sticks?

Cillaliz

« Reply #229 on: September 22, 2005, 09:28:32 PM »

For the life of me, I can't figure out why I sit here and watch all the Hurricane is coming coverage. All I see over and over is a slow moving storm and people in gridlock, but do I change the channel....no.... is that sick?

Cillaliz

« Reply #230 on: September 22, 2005, 09:31:03 PM »

Well, I did leave for a couple strawberry margaritas and some wonderful chicken wings...jerk chicken with a fabulous sauce, much tastier than Buffalo wings, although I do like those too

Jason

« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2005, 09:34:32 PM »

Cillaliz: I do the same thing. I couldn't tear myself away from the news, even though the news was depressing. We do it for the same reasons we rubberneck. Perhaps it's schadenfraude.

Francois: East of Eden!! I knew it was an adaptation of a very famous novel. I just couldn't remember the title. Merci!!

Jed

« Reply #232 on: September 22, 2005, 09:37:55 PM »

No matter, here in the Pacific Northwest we'd probably pronounce it the same anyway. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2005, 09:53:29 PM »

And that's why you are special DR Jed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #234 on: September 22, 2005, 09:54:52 PM »

Why Cillaliz, I don't know what you mean!  8)

(Boy when I can't even spell the 4 letter words, things are really bad!)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #235 on: September 22, 2005, 09:59:46 PM »

Good Evening!

I've spent the past hour or so catching up with an old friend via a telephonic conversation.  Well, actually, first we noticed each other online, and after about 20 minutes of IMing other back and forth, we realized it would probably go faster via phone.  And it did!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #236 on: September 22, 2005, 10:01:12 PM »

Has anyone seen the documentary Paperclips?

Tomovoz

« Reply #237 on: September 22, 2005, 10:03:11 PM »

Does it hold together or is the viewer just left hanging.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #238 on: September 22, 2005, 10:03:33 PM »

DR Jason - Again, I'm sorry I couldn't join you guys earlier tonight for the movie.  I really was sort of zonked out - as if you couldn't tell from my phone call to you earlier - and I'm still a bit drowsy.  -Which I guess is a good thing at 1:00 in the morning.  In any case...

I'll try my best to join you guys for "Mildred Pierce" next week, but I will be coming from a full day of Damn Yankees auditions, so I have a feeling we'll be heading out for the traditional "last day of auditions, let's hope everyone says Yes" dinner.  But, again, I'll try to make it if I can.  -Who knows, maybe Baayork will want to see the movie too.  :)

Which Michael did you end up meeting up with there?  The Michael that I know through you?  Inquiring minds...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #239 on: September 22, 2005, 10:07:16 PM »

Cool!

They just released the official announcement on Playbill.com - and other sites - that Scott Bakula will be playing Charlie Anderson in the upcoming production of Shenandoah at Ford's Theatre.  I had heard the "rumors" earlier, but wasn't at liberty to say anything.

I guess the stage door at Ford's this spring will be mobbed with "Quantum Leap" and "Star Trek" fans.

Hmm... Scott Bakula.... Maybe I wanna do Shenandoah after all...

;)

NOT!  *Well, I do love the show, but I'm very happy with the prospect of doing Lestat right now.  Very happy.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up