Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CUT AND DRIED  (Read 23339 times)

td

• td
Re:CUT AND DRIED
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2005, 07:45:43 AM »

DR td, I'd love to hear more of your colorful encounters with naked cowboys but DRCillaliz is my first acquaintance to actually encounter Times Square's one and only Naked Cowboy.

Ah, but Larry, this is a family site. (cue Sister Sledge).

TOTD:
Barbara Cook's VANILLA ICE CREAM.   :P

I loathed and despised BEYOND THE SEA, I agree with MBarnum about the language, something I think writers who cannot write use as a crutch.  I could go on and on about how misguided and misdirected I thought Mr. Spacey and the whole film were, but, let's just say that immediately after the movie was over I watched a great musical film entitled LES DEMOISELLES DE ROCHEFORT.
On the other hand, listening to the cd of BEYOND THE SEA is one hundred times better than actually seeing the film.
IMHO
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2005, 07:47:22 AM »

Page Three Dance:

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2005, 07:48:11 AM »

A hearty thank-you to DR Rodzinski for the NYC mementos:

Splendid Playbill glasses (filled with Amontillado on the rocks).

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2005, 07:53:34 AM »

Fact learned from the chapter I read today in THE MAN WHO INVENTED ROCK HUDSON:

Rock was turned down not once but twice by MGM's head of talent acquisition. She later regretted the decision after he became a huge superstar, but she said MGM was homophobic in casting potential stars and never even seriously considered him.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2005, 08:01:36 AM »

My copy of BROADWAY LOST TREASURES III came yesterday, so my houseguest and I are looking forward to watching that this afternoon.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2005, 08:03:43 AM »

And tonight we will be attending OLIVER!

Thus, I will be E&T for a goodly amount of time this afternoon and evening.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2005, 08:39:24 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Very overcast here in the City of Studio.  I feel confident that we shall achieve our new exceptional plateau this very day, perhaps whilst I am out this morning.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2005, 09:11:51 AM »

Good Morning!

Ah, yes, it is a rainy day here in NYC, but we were due for some rain - and in need of it too.  So, it was a perfect day for sleeping in...

My apologies to DR Danise and elmore for missing breakfast this morning.  I had to be up "early" to sign for another FedEx package - which actually came this morning - but then I sat back down on my bed, and the next thing I knew it was 11:30...  -And I still had my cell phone's ringer off from the movie last night, so I didn't hear Danise calling me...  But I did just speak with both of them... So..

DR Danise - I hope you have a wonderful afternoon in NYC before heading back home.  -And it wouldn't be a day in NYC withouth some rain.  And Safe travels.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2005, 09:13:08 AM »

RE: The Naked Cowboy - Whenever I've seen him on the streets, he's usually just posing for tips and/or just the attention.  But I could be wrong.

And I'm sure if someone started Googling, he must have a website by now.
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2005, 09:17:45 AM »

Rainy and foggy in the NW, too.  Perfect day for listening to Celtic music, so I began with Alan Stivell and am now listening to some celtic harpist whose name I can't recall.   :(

I am a cut-and-dried chocolate fan.  I really like chocolate ice cream with nuts, preferably almonds, though walnuts will do in a pinch.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2005, 09:18:50 AM »

Topic of the Day - Anything Chocolate.  And I'm also a big fan of mix-ins: almonds, marshmallows, fudge swirl, chocolate chips, espresso beans, etc.  The chunkier, the better.

However, there are those times when just plain ole vanilla will do, preferably Breyer's.

And then there's gelato - especially hazelnut, strawberry, amaretto and coconut.

Drumsticks, Klondike Bars (chocolate-chocolate, almond crunch), Chocolate Eclairs, Strawberry Eclairs, Fudgesicles, Dreamsicles, etc., etc., etc...
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2005, 09:21:02 AM »

Tomovoz:  Glad you like Stillness.  It's a very atypical album for Sergio, a lot of people hate it with a passion, but I've loved it for close to 25 years (oy).  I made a mistake in my letter--it was "For What It's Worth" that was the hit off the album (though "Chelsea Morning" did get quite a bit of AC airplay).  If you ever get a chance to pick up the 45 version of "For What It's Worth," get it--it's radically different than the album version, something quite unusual for those days.  Lani had done some comping tracks, but the 45 version is pretty much all Karen all the time with a much different instrumental mix.

PennyO:  I've been E&T lately--are you performing in Hawaii?  Are you on the big island?  I can send out invites to people if you're there to come see your show.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Cillaliz

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2005, 09:21:58 AM »

RE: The Naked Cowboy - Whenever I've seen him on the streets, he's usually just posing for tips and/or just the attention.  But I could be wrong.

And I'm sure if someone started Googling, he must have a website by now.

There are quite a few. One said he makes $1000 a day posing in Times Square!  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2005, 09:25:38 AM »

Well... Time for me to get cleaned up, and head down to SoHo.  I got me some shopping to do!

*Thank you again to everyone on the Walking and Eating Tour for my "hostess gift".  I've had this list of gadgets and smaller items I've been wanting to add to my kitchen arsensal, and I believe I should be fully stocked after this afternoon.  *Don't worry, I'll take pics!

:)

OK.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2005, 09:27:03 AM »

I do not like walnuts, in a pinch or otherwise.  They skeeve me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2005, 09:27:37 AM »

I suppose I shall have to be on my way to the storage facility now, before she of the Evil Eye casts her gaze in my direction.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2005, 09:28:41 AM »

Less than seventy posts to go until we reach our rather astonishing new plateau.  

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2005, 09:38:06 AM »

My current favorite ice cream is Blue Bunny Carb Freedom Peanut Butter Fudge. My mom and I went through two quarts of the stuff when she was visiting  :o

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2005, 09:41:35 AM »

TD, I did very much like the musical numbers in BEYOND THE SEA....they were done quite well and not unlike the musical numbers of the 50s. The costumes and sets were fantastic as well.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2005, 09:43:58 AM »

I am watching/listening to a DVD of music videos of various popular Pakistani pop singers/groups. Very nice music. I am now a fan of Pakistani pop! And I didn't realize that the pop due STRINGS was Pakistani...I thought they were Indian..who knew.

DR Rodzinski, when you get around to listening to STRINGS, I do want to know you thoughts on them.

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2005, 09:45:46 AM »

I think I am having a frenzy.

I will now leave to pick up my NY photos and CD disc from Walmart, with a stop at Best Buy to survey the new releases (including the purchasing of a couple of Val Lewton films.)

Oh, I forgot...tonight I see BEA ARTHUR at the Elsinore Theater with Mark and James and James' mom who is visiting from Nevada.

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2005, 09:46:59 AM »

Yes, Rodzinski, I was up unusually early (for a weekend) as Freddy did not see any reason for me to sleep in...I imagine a nap will be in my future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2005, 10:04:23 AM »

And the word of the day is: SPORE!
Ah, yes, S'pores!  That ol' capmfire treat, pade frop pelted parshpallows, graphap crackers, and pilk chocolate.  (As der B just noted, a dish that's been around for at least a hundred years; as in the Dicken's quote, "Please, sir, may I have some spore?")
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2005, 10:07:58 AM »

My friend Margo just spent a week in Hawaii, last month.  She had used all of her vacation time and had to use "leave without pay," but she said that it was totally worth it  She took all three of her kids and met some friends there. ...
It used to be that women, when they took all the kids and were vacationing for an extended period, headed towards Las Vegas.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2005, 10:18:03 AM »

Fact learned from the chapter I read today in THE MAN WHO INVENTED ROCK HUDSON:

Rock was turned down not once but twice by MGM's head of talent acquisition. She later regretted the decision after he became a huge superstar, but she said MGM was homophobic in casting potential stars and never even seriously considered him.
Hmmph.  I've heard that kind of excuse before.  Back when I was at that insurance company I retired from, the continual line I got from Human Resources was that the company couldn't extend partner benefits to significant others was because it would discriminate against the married couples.  Bull-loney!  The real reason was that the head of HR was a homophobe herself!  Homophobic HRs always use their companies to excuse their own failures.  (The company later extended the benefits, with no problems.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2005, 10:24:06 AM »

TOD:  Not much of an ice cream man, at least not in the specialized flavors.  But whilst in NYC, I did pick up a bottle of pommegranite syrup, which should taste magnificent on a scoop of vanilla.  (The syrup, not the bottle.  Glass doesn't have much taste to it, after all.)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2005, 10:30:52 AM »

I have just caught up with yesterday and today.

Thank you MBarnum for the kind words.  I am very grateful to how the group took the Vixter under their wings  She  kept floating from one to another.  Chatting about dogs with SWW and Der B,  Vegan dietary  habits with Jane, the zoo visit with Danise etc etc.

Thank you all for making her (and me) feel so welcome.

and yes, there was a moment when Jose said," Oh lets stop in here , it's an adult toy store." and I rapidly headed  down the sidewalk to qucickly find something else for her to look at before it was understood that it was a place with collectible toys rather than , well than the kind of things that may or may not be stockef in Condomania (which we did wander on past at the head of the line and let the stragglers go where they may!)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2005, 10:36:03 AM »

My current favorite ice cream is Blue Bunny Carb Freedom Peanut Butter Fudge. My mom and I went through two quarts of the stuff when she was visiting  :o

Cool, did you know that Blue Bunny is made in the Ice Cream Capital of the World, otherwise known as Le Mars, IA!

vixmom

« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2005, 10:38:29 AM »

I am sorry Danise, but I am afraid we MAY just have to remove the blame for all things from Jose and pass it on to you...

Since you were in NYC...

1. Lady hit on the head with a light  in the theatre where you were attending

2. Escalators break down in American Girl Store  while you are visiting

3. Lady hit by a bus in front of us

4. Cillaliz hit by a bike messenger while she & Jane were on the phone with you & me

5. Lady falls down in the street next to you while you are walking to theatre

6. Penn Station closed for suspicous soda can while you are there...

The heck with the terrorists.... look out for Danise!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You know I love you sweetie!!!! :-* :-* :-*

vixmom

« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2005, 10:43:40 AM »

It is so nice to see DR PennyO postingagain you have been missed.

I hope that beautiful Hawaii helps in your spiritual healing.

I went to Hawaii for a week a bout 25 years ago , I was on the "big Island" of Oahu , staying in Waikki for most of it but did have a one day tour of Maui.  Itis a very beautiful place and I hope to someday have the opportunhity to visit it again.

I would love to see your new look.  Please do post a  picture.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up