Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: COLUMBUS DAY  (Read 14774 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
COLUMBUS DAY
« on: October 10, 2005, 12:07:29 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what Day we are celebrating (hint: not Doris or Loraine), and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently singing the Stephen Schwartz paean to Columbus Day - Day by Day.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 12:23:42 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:COLUMBUS DAY
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 12:07:48 AM »

And the word of the Day is: VOUCHSAFE!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 12:41:50 AM »

BK, will UPS deliver on a holiday?  The post office won't.  The box probably doesn't mention that Martin Sheen plays a paedophile because it would turn a lot of people off.  The Leopard Man is a fine film.  Good source material with Cornell Woolrich and good filmmakers Lewton and Tourner.

We went to a matinee of DEAD END at the Ahmanson yesterday.  The LA Times review of this play was not kind, but being the theatrical archeologist I am, I had to go see it (I mean how many times are you going to get a chance to see a full-scale production of this with it cast of thirty-forty people?) and we quite enjoyed it!  

Very different interpretations than those in the movie (the Joel McCrea character is actually a gimp in the play) and the set with its four story tenement buildings and swimmable Atlantic Ocean in the orchestra pit is a breath-taking marvel!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 01:36:55 AM »

Ah a theatre production of DEAD END!  Sounds fascinating.  It is one of my favorite play scripts, and the movie never quite measured up to the play I did in my head when I read it.

How wonderful to read the TRUE story of Columbus Day in the notes.  He certainly was an interesting and resourceful fellow...in fact DR TCB has named a room in his house after the fellow...and I have one of those rooms, too, darn it!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 01:41:29 AM »

I don't often eat breakfast when I am at home, but when I am on vacation I usually have breakfast OUT and ABOUT.

My favorite breakfast:

The Western omelet with some toast and butter.  Extra bacon & sausage on the side.  Grapefruit juice & diet Pepsi.

Lunch:  Turkey Club sandwich with French Fries and Diet Pepsi.

Dinner:  my super favorite dinner is spaghetti and meatballs and pork chops!  OR Chicken al fredo with spaghetti on the side.  Lettuce and tomato salad on the side, serve the salad undressed.  Diet Pepsi!!

Butter pecan ice cream for desert and/or pumpkin pie.

Damn.  Now I am hungry.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 01:43:01 AM »

Favorite meal my mommy used to make:

Meat loaf - mashed potatoes - macaroni & cheese.

OR

Beef and noodles - peas - lettuce & tomato salad.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 01:57:37 AM »

Whew!  DR CP was correct in saying that the reviews for DEAD END in LA weren't the best....example here:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/regional/la/la191.html

But I think Jeremy Sisto as Baby Face (Humphrey Bogart's part in the film) and Tom Everett Scott as Gimpty (Joel McCrea's film role) and Joyce Van Patten as Ma Martin (Marjorie Main's film role) would have ALL been more than worth the rest.   8)

I do have to agree with a couple of the reviewers that the dead end kids looked more like than had been in the gym than on the breadline.  :o

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 01:58:11 AM »

Isn't Joyce VP married to Mr Dennis Dugan - talked about yesterday here at HHW?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 05:51:25 AM »

Good morning, all!  DRJRand55, thanks for the link to the review.  I met Michael Ritchie when he was running the Wiliamstown Theatre Festival, and I think he's talented.  Since he's not particularly musical, I don't think he enjoyed talking to me because he had no idea of what an orchestrator does.  I would love to see DEAD END.  I see a school chum, Carol Androsky, is in the cast, and I haven't seen her since the early 1980s when she left New York.  In summer theatre, around 1973, she played Nancy to a really psyched out Bill Sykes.  She was terrified of her last scene with him.

I thought the reviewer to the show pulled one of my favorite moronic stunts:  knock the dialogue of a period show written in the last century because it hasn't the "reality" of a contemporary playwright.  No one ever complains about this in a play written a century ago or earlier, but early 20th Century pieces get treated to a lot of bad press frm morons who aren't literate enough to judged their writing in context.  I hope I can step down from the soapbox now and not break an ankle.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 06:30:13 AM »

Happy Columbus Day Day to one and all and all and one.  And let's not forget his talented cousin, Dennis.

TOD:

Breakfast:  A plate of steak and eggs with a side of home fries and a cup of hot black coffee at the Melrose Diner here in Philly.

Lunch:  A cup of chili and cheese followed by a juicy roast beef sandwich (topped with horseradish) and a bottle of Yuengling at the Cherry Street Tavern, a few blocks away from my office, in the company of my good work buddies.

Dinner:  A home-cooked meal--something along the lines of my sister's 100 garlic clove chicken, angel hair pasta in an oil sauce, a veggie medley (squash, zucchini and red bell peppers?)  A nice fruity red wine.  Preceded by a bowl of soup (I'm thinking split-pea.)  Followed by hot apple pie.  Locale would be my one friend's dining room, which overlooks a field and lake through a huge bay window.  And a tableful of people who will supply bright and sparkling conversation (this last part being the most important ingredient for the meal.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Danise

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 06:44:47 AM »

Hi all!  I knew that I wouldn’t be posting yesterday, I was just too tired. So tired I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to sleep so I took a sleeping pill to make sure I would get some much needed rest .  It worked like a charm as I didn’t get up until about 2:30 yesterday afternoon.

I was groggy and foggy all the way up to nine o’clock when I finely admitted defeat and returned to my wonderful, comfortable bed.  I must say that I didn’t realize how much I missed my memory foam pad.  

I did manage to watch some of the shows Tivo recorded for me.  Among them was the Today show for last Wednesday.  Ladies, we DID make it on the show and I have photographic evidence. I know my digital camera is a bit on the bulky side but it has so many nifty setting.  Taking photos off of a TV screen being one of them.

I present the Today Show proof!  I saw that my signs didn’t show up.  Sorry about that but I promise that one of them says, “What is it Fish?  HHW, Hi Bruce!” and the other says “Hi Mom!  Seffner, FL” or something close to that.  

I literally have a couple of hundred photos to sort through, resize, cut and or crop before I can post any.  I will be burning the entire collection to CD so if I don’t have your home address and you would like one, just e-mail your address to me and I will get it out to you by months end.  

I have surgery coming up and will be home for a week so I think I will have plenty of time to do all that then.  

I’m glad that everyone had as wonderful a time as I did on the trip.  We will definitely have to do it again sometime.  I fear I will have to build up vacation time and clear that credit card before I can.   I’m sure that by the time next September/October rolls around I should be in good shape.

Sadly, I don’t think a LA trip in January or February is in the cards as that would be to soon for me to recover.   :(

I'm pleased to say that I have finely been forgiven by Bear.  He laid his head on my foot last night while I was watching some of the shows.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 06:45:37 AM »

Another....
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 06:47:52 AM »

One last day of freedom, then it's back to the old grindstone.  Sigh.  That week sure went fast.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 06:51:19 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Congrats and welcome to the clouds DR PennyO!   [/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 06:56:05 AM »

Well folks, I have a ton of mail to sort through.  Both the electronic and regular kind.  

I have to run down to the bank and do some grocery shopping and get my life back into its regular routine.

One thing, it sure is quiet here compared to NYC.  No horns honking no crush of people everywhere.  I can hear the clock ticking, it’s so quiet.

I have so many things I want to tell you about the plane trip and everything but that will have to wait.

Laters all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2005, 06:59:16 AM »

Wow, you made it on TV!!! LOL! Congrats to Danise, Ginny, and Cillaliz!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 07:00:58 AM »

Great pics from your television appearance, DR Danise!  It's not at all surprising that the NYC HHW gathering was covered by the media.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 07:29:57 AM »

Good morning!

Awoke to a very cool morning and MORE rain. It has rained every day since last Thursday, but we did need it, and supposedly this is the last day for awhile. Of course, no walking in the rain (a Shirley Temple reference) for me, so it will be treadmill time later.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 07:30:17 AM »

Along with it being a rainy day and a Monday, I'm also downed by a very non-sparkling package that was a recent eBay purchase.  Two window cards--from Equus and Man Of LaMancha--that I got for very cheap prices.  Unfortunately, the doofus seller sent them rolled up in a mailing tube.  That was bad enough--and might have been okay if I were able to let them flatten out and uncurl--but the idiot also mailed them in these plastic envelopes that only helped to kink up the cards in a few places when they were rolled up.  Grrrrrr...

I can't get too upset--I only paid a little under $20 for both posters and the shipping--but I will send a short note to the seller letting him know I'm not happy about the way the cards were packaged.  And since he seller has not yet left me any feedback, I won't bother to leave any at all at this point.  I'll see how he responds to my e-mail.

Grrrrrrrr...
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 07:32:53 AM »

Don't you just hate days when there is no mail delivery? The internet helps since e-mails seem like modern-day letters and on-line shopping can be like perusing cataloigs that come in the mail. You can go to websites of magazines and read articles there in place of the print copy.

But no packages, alas! And that's what I miss most!   :-\
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 07:33:37 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 07:35:18 AM »

DR TCB, I had a hearty laugh this morning about your own personal definition of Columbus Day. Thanks so much for starting off my morning so wonderfully.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 07:37:09 AM »

I have 2 1/2 hours of TV from last night to catch up on plus THE OFFICE all the way from last Tuesday! (Can't believe I haven't gotten to it yet.)

Since I'm having lunch out with friends today, I'm not sure if I'll have time to get to a DVD today. Of course, with some of my Monday programs off due to baseball playoffs, that will free up some time.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 07:40:50 AM »

Once again, the Fox Movie Channel chose to broadcast THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE in pan and scan instead of its CInemascope dimensions. It's just infuriating that they do this to their films. The widescreen version has not been telecast in a long time.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 07:43:45 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 07:48:21 AM »

bk, when you got your Shirley Temple films a month or so ago, didn't you say that HEIDI looked bad? I didn't buy the entire box because I had bought HEIDI in the initial Shirley Temple offerings from Fox (those were not great transfers at all, and I think I assumed that HEIDI was probably the same disc in new packaging.)

Anyway, I was reading Barrie Maxwell's review on the internet of HEIDI that claimed the new DVD is far superior in video quality to the one I have (the original issue).

Now I'm wondering if I need to upgrade since HEIDI is one of my two favorite Shirley movies (CAPTAIN JANUARY is the other).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 07:54:14 AM »

DR Matt--I just read your post from yesterday describing the ABC Movie of the Week book.  I had it in my shopping cart on Amazon and was going to place my order this week, but now I've changed my mind. I'll hold off until I get the chance to find a copy in Barnes & Nobel to thumb through and decide if it's worth it to me or not.

BTW, there is another MOTW that has been released on DVD--Dying Room Only with Cloris Leachman.  It's available on Amazon.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2005, 08:15:59 AM »

Can some DR help me?

What was the name of the Barbra Streisand TV special that came between COLOR ME BARBRA and A HAPPENING IN CENTRAL PARK?

Was it THE BELLE OF 14th STREET or something like that?

Has it ever been issued on video like her other specials?

Didn't I read somewhere that her 60s TV specials were going to be coming out on DVD? (I have several on videotape but not BELLE.)

Any info on these questions would be most helpful and greatly appreciated.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2005, 08:17:20 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!

...And I'm still full from Artie's last night...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2005, 08:22:28 AM »

Because I went out for doughnuts yesterday morning, I just picked at other food all day long. Never had a real meal.

Today I hope to get back on a regular eating pattern.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2005, 08:23:08 AM »

Well, I must go get cleaned up for my lunch engagement.

WBBL.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 08:23:40 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2005, 08:25:07 AM »

I haven't even mentioned the TOD:

Breakfast - Eggs Benedict, hash browns, toast with strawberry preserves.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up