Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: JUGGLING  (Read 19137 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:JUGGLING
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2005, 04:01:28 AM »

Well I woke up at 6 AM on the living room recliner (where i apparently fell asleep and was lovingly covered with a blanket by vixdad) to hear the windows rattling withthe wind and the poundingof rain against the window pane and the dripping of water on the kitchen floor.....

I turned and nestled deeper into my warm blanket...

THE DRIPPING OF WATER ON THE KITCHEN FLOOR?!!!!!!

Ah ye, apparent;y the wind and the rain was so intense that it came trhough the screen, pooled inside the windpow frame and then worked its way under the two interior window panes and poured through on the inside down on to the kitchen table and thence to the floor

and how was YOUR monring?  Let me tell you how much I am looking forward to my 30  mile drive to the office  THIS monring.... never mind I bet you can guess

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ben

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2005, 04:01:45 AM »

And now, as we move to Page 2 it's Deb (Vixmom) and me as I listen to Barbara Dixon sing a song from Blood Brothers. I'm listening to Elaine Paige on BBC 2 so I have no control over what's being played.

On that note I will move to the kitchen and wash my bowl and get back to work.

Later, gaters.

vixmom

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2005, 04:02:04 AM »

Can we do a SUN dance for page two?

Please?

vixmom

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2005, 04:05:12 AM »

DR Danise

I keep thinking about last Tuesday I had so much fun!!

The tour guide's name was Timmie

the address I was given  was:

Central Park Zoo
 ATTN:  Jane Donnelly , Director of Volunteer Program
 830 Fifth Avenue
 New York, NY 10021

vixmom

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2005, 04:06:29 AM »

Good morning Ben.  I must go wash my teacup and make sure the Vixter is moving, I think she may have fallen back asleep in her pancakes....

Later Gaters from me too!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2005, 04:30:29 AM »

Good morning, all!  Yesterday, I finished my Rockette piece (dreadful song) and I have to drop it off today.  Beyond that, it's more Chicago Humanities Festival work, and a trip to the bank.

TOD:  when I was a kid I loved the circus, but now I'm rather apathetic.  When I was in Ohio last month, a small circus passed through my hometown:  the tent materialized over night, stayed for two days, and vanished again.  All I could think of was KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2005, 04:34:39 AM »

Good morning all and the sundried. And good night from OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2005, 04:40:24 AM »

'morning!  When I saw on the Today Show just now about the flooding in the northeast, I wondered if anybody here was affected.  Well, DR vixmom, you answered my question and I'm so sorry!  Aren't we glad all that rain didn't arrive a week ago?

TOD - My family used to go to the Shrine Circus at the Michigan State Fair Grounds.  I remember eating cotton candy and the grand finale when the guy got shot out of a cannon.

Actually, this week my life is a circus, with a work event each day - last night I spoke about nonprofit funding to a health-related support group, today a grantmaker is speaking at the library, and tomorrow I teach the October version of grantseeking basics.  I feel like the juggler who's trying to keep all the plates spinning.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2005, 04:50:21 AM »

Of course I produced Tricks of the Trade for the Fine Living channel.

Please tell me more about that. It is not part of the site and it should be included.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2005, 04:54:54 AM »

Good morning, all!  Yesterday, I finished my Rockette piece (dreadful song) and I have to drop it off today.  Beyond that, it's more Chicago Humanities Festival work, and a trip to the bank.

Is that the song I Want To Be a Rockette that Debbie Gravitte sang on the Alan Menkan album and Karen Ziemba sang and danced (with The Rockettes) on the first Broadway's Leading Ladies special?
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2005, 04:59:46 AM »

Is that the song I Want To Be a Rockette that Debbie Gravitte sang on the Alan Menkan album and Karen Ziemba sang and danced (with The Rockettes) on the first Broadway's Leading Ladies special?

Yep!  I don't think the lyric's very good, and I find it formless as a composition.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2005, 05:05:01 AM »

I think I will choose Doug Henning as favorite magician/illusionist and who later sold his illusions I believe to David Copperfield. I saw the Magic Show (late in the run) and Merlin on Broadway and some of them were amazing and I don't want to know how they are done.

But my favorite of all time is Metamorphosis.

The magacian handcuffs the assistant and shackles the feet. Then places the assistant in a bag. Ties the back. Places the assistant in the trunk closes it. Locks it. The puts chains around it and locks them. He then stands on top of the trunk. Grabs a circular shower curtain brings it up to his neck. Tells us not to blink and then raises and lowers the curtain within a second or two and the assistant is standing there. The assistant then unchains and unlocks the trunk. Opens the bag and the magician is inside; handcuffed and shackeled and WEARING A DIFFERENT COSTUME!

Though Copperfield's making the statue of liberty disappear was interesting I found out how it was done and then it wasn't so interesting.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 05:13:28 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2005, 05:06:47 AM »

I do not care for circuses.

Or, to put it in a single word, bleh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2005, 05:07:04 AM »

Yep!  I don't think the lyric's very good, and I find it formless as a composition.

I rather like it. It is a story song. But I am just a consumer what do I know from forms. :)
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2005, 05:08:18 AM »

I've an early day at work today.  I'll catch up later...maybe.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2005, 05:33:32 AM »

TOD:  

I find Cirque du Soleil something of a mixed bag, with the shows having enough highs to make up for the dull sections, but loved "O" in Vegas almost from start to finish.  The Big Apple Circus at Lincoln Center is also a real favorite experience.

One of my favorite songs is "Join the Circus" from the musical BARNUM - I'm still on a Cy Coleman kick right now, and think it's a shame that Michael Stewart didn't write lyrics for more of his career.

Favorite circus misheard lyric, because of how it was misheard by someone I worked with:
"Baby cried the day the circus came to town
'Cause she didn't want prades just passing by her
Sp she painted ona smile and took up with some clown
As she danced without Annette upon the wire."
(it should have been "a net" but Bernice at Alexander Associates was convinced that they were singing "Annette" - fond misheard lyric memory)  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2005, 06:15:34 AM »

DRMATTH - I watched most of the Lumet interview on TCM and found it much as you did.  I thought the Katharine Hepburn story was interesting.  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2005, 06:16:21 AM »

Mark Wilson is a magician who was on television when I was little and I always thought he was good.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2005, 06:32:58 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up...

Well, I got up at 5:15 feeling quite wide awake, and contemplated staying out of bed, but...

Then came 7:30...  8:15... And then 9:00...

I'm guessing I should have stayed up when I got up at 5:15 since I'm feeling a little drowsy right now.  But the rain is falling - pouring at times - and I'm suspecting that I'll have a bit of a drip, drip, drip again from the bathroom ceiling.  -I can already hear "it" inside the ceiling/wall, so...

I also just looked out into the backyard/patio, and there's quite the "puddle" out there.  The drain doesn't look clogged, I think there's just too much rain right now.  Hopefully, it won't start seeping under the door and into the kitchen.

...At least I'm only renting... Well, even betted, I'm only subletting right now, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2005, 06:33:42 AM »

TOD:  I remember that my parents took my sisters and me to the Barnum & Bailey Circus a number of times and that I ran hot and cold with it.  I loved the high wire and trapeze acts and the fact that I was able to see all these exotic animals in such close proximity.  But I never liked the clown acts--their gags just struck me more as stupid than funny.

I really like Cirque du Soleil, but I tend to think of that as more of a new age vaudeville than as a circus.

Favorite magician:  David Copperfield
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2005, 06:34:06 AM »

DR vixmom - Dry Kitchen Vibes!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2005, 06:38:10 AM »

Topic of the Day...

My parents took me and my brothers to the circus (Ringling) once when we were kids.  -At the now-razed King Dome in Seattle.  I sort of remember the circus acts... It was all about that "spinning" flashlight!

I've been to a couple of the Cirque du Soleil shows, with my favorite being "Varekai".

As for circus movies... ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2005, 06:49:35 AM »

...The latest round of "Cosmo Hunks" are making the rounds of the morning talk shows here in New York City this morning.  Currently, they are on "Regis & Kelly"... I think a couple of them are still waking up. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2005, 06:49:59 AM »

I went to a small circus once as a kid, but remember very little about it.

Favorite circus movie: BERSERK.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2005, 07:08:39 AM »

Aww... Nick and Melody from "So You Think You Can Dance?" are on "Ellen"....

Set your VCRs now!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2005, 07:11:06 AM »

Well, time to clean off my desk - finally - and get my mail and bank stuff ready.  And I think I'm gonna get my hair cut too this afternoon.

Exciting, huh?

;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2005, 07:20:53 AM »

Vic Damone's duets with Judy Garland on her series are among the most riveting moments in TV variety show history. They did a WEST SIDE STORY medley and a PORGY AND BESS medley that defy description. (They also did a KISMET medley that doesn't live up to the other two.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2005, 07:23:51 AM »

Good morning!

Another cool, overcast day here, but at least it isn't raining (not yet), and so I went for my first walk in a week. Always enjoy them and feel better about myself when I get back home.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2005, 07:30:21 AM »

In reference to bk's comments about Donald O'Connor's ball bouncing number in ANYTHING GOES (which I commented on favorably last week), I really feel this man was an unsung hero of musicals. He truly did tour de force performances in a handful of big budget musicals (I haven't seen many of the B-musicals he did with Peggy Ryan at Universal) and is often ignored or forgotten by critics.

Everybody remembers "Make "Em Laugh" fondly, but he does this amazing, frenetic number in I LOVE MELVIN called "I Wanna Wander" where he does an entire mystery spoof by himself playing all the characters. In the same movie, he dances on roller skates in a more bravura fashion than either Astaire or Kelly in their roller skate numbers. He had that terrific "A Man Chases a Girl" fantasy number in THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS, too.

So, he deserves more credit than he often gets for being the superb entertainer he was. (He did win an Emmy in the 1950s for his variety work, so at least he did get some recognition in his lifetime.)

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2005, 07:34:35 AM »

I forgot to mention last night some impression of the new TV GUIDE.

In a word, FLUFF. It's like the TV section of ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY expanded into an entire magazine. Overkill thy name is TV GUIDE. And the print is so large, I didn't need reading glasses.

To be fair, it IS just the first week. Like ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, I'm sure it will adapt and adjust in the coming months, but I'd really love to see more substance (reviews, overviews, history of TV), and less pictorials and silly charts.)

And Ty Pennington on the cover. Yuck!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up