Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PROCRASTINATING  (Read 17956 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PROCRASTINATING
« on: October 15, 2005, 12:07:53 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you haven't procrastinated or procreated, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently procrastinating.  What else is new?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 12:07:23 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PROCRASTINATING
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 12:09:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: LACKADAISICAL!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 12:28:42 AM »

Ritzy bashes.  Been to a few.  The most fun was going to the British Stunt Ball in London at the Grovesner House (I'm sure that's not spelt right) in 1995, when I was invited by my friend, Paul Weston, the stunt co-ordinator on Dragonheart.  Though very posh and formal (tuxedos and ball gowns), what a wild and wooly time this was.  The Brits know how to party.  Julieanne won 200 hundred pounds.  Half she donated back to the charity; she kept the rest.  Spike Milligan was there.  It went on till four in the morning!

We went again a few years after but it didn't match the first.

I've been to the WGA Awards three times and sometimes those were fun and sometimes just a chore.  It was fun the year that Jon Voight was at our table.

I been to several premieres and screenings of movies.  Disney used to throw great parties on their lot for new releases of movies.  Every April, we attend a French film festival that occurs out here...and which can be star-studded (it was where I first saw Le Bossou and met Vincent Perez).  

We were invited to Cannes and went to several of the events and screenings there.  Through my pal, actor Jason Isaacs, I managed to get a temporary membership to London's Soho Club while in Cannes; they had a yacht there and so we had lunch and drinks there frequently.

I also attended a lovely conference in Beaune, France, which had many ritzy bashes.

I love putting on a tux and stepping out.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 12:31:03 AM by Charles Pogue »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 12:35:39 AM »

As the self-proclaimed KING OF THE PROCRASTINATORS, I'm going to procrastinate by not discussing today's Topic of the Day...yet. ;) I'm going to be real LACKADAISICAL about it all and go to sleep.

So smoke on your pipe and put that in!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 12:45:36 AM »

LACKADAISICAL, baby, LACKADAISICAL!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 12:49:39 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 01:25:01 AM »

Oh ritzy bashes.  

The last one was probably the Theater Fund Raiser I was part of last February.  I love opening nights, and big parties, but don't get an invite to many of them....I am sure they are held regularly here in Indiana, I see them in the paper.  Just not part of the crowd, I guess.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 04:00:39 AM »

ritzy bashes?

The world premiere of Kramer vs Kramer in which Dustin Hoffman or Meryl Streep did not attend. But a gaggle of other film actors who were doing movies in Montreal at the time.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 04:08:16 AM »

Amazon, Barnes and Noble.....Are there any other places to post a review?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 04:11:03 AM »

Must go and see PROOF this weekend as I am sure it will no longer be playing by next weekend. Wanted to also see Serenity but I think it has already disappeared. These #1 movies start off with a bang and by week 3 & 4 there are out of here.

I remember when movies would play for months and moths and sometime years in a single theater. Those days are long gone.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 04:28:44 AM »

Good morning, all!  Yes, DRJose, I did delete as post last night, and life will go on.  I was all caught up in REWIND, and I decided that I was taking the book too seriously.

So, I was up too late finishing the book and the alarm went off too early.  I will shortly be terrifying and annoying the denizens of 14th Street.

TOD:  One party:  the celebration of the first anniversary of SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE.  The show opened in May 1984, won the Pulitzer in May 1985, and my memory is that I came back from Ohio - mother's quadrupal bipass surgery - to find the invitation to the party in the mail.  I don't remember the date, but it was at Sondheim's home in either late May or early June.  And a fantastic event it was!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 06:04:47 AM »

From yesterday

Pert Kelton was discussed.

Did you know the reason why she didn't not continue as Alice was that she was blacklisted? Gleason wanted to keep her on, but the network said no.

Years later she returned to the Honeymooners as Alice's Mother!

And did you know Elaine Stritch was part of The Honeymooners? She played Trixie.
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 06:52:13 AM »

'morning!

TOD - the ritziest event I ever attended was the gala grand opening of the Power Center for Performing Arts at The University of Michigan, October 5, 1971.  At the dedication ceremony, honorary degrees were bestowed upon Nancy Hanks, Helen Hayes, James Earl Jones (class of '53), Walter Kerr, Jo Mielziner, and Julius Rudel.  Then followed the premier production of The Grass Harp and a lavish reception in the lobby.  Truman Capote was there, too.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 06:58:56 AM »

Here I sit working feverishly (well, not right at this moment, I've taken a break) to finish before our deadline of next Saturday.

We are going to another birthday party tonight. This one in Brooklyn Heights. I have to make sure my passport is in order. Then next week we have to go to Astoria for a housewarming party. A friend of Ant's from the Forum cast has moved into new digs and we will venture out to see them and help to warm their new house (apartment).

Later, gaters.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 07:10:20 AM »

I haven't read the notes yet (on my way there now), but I couldn't wait to post a personal ARGH! for going to bed last night and not getting to take part in the Popeye's - Po' Folks - Sambo's discussion.

The Sambo's here eventually turned into Denny's before the chain left the area. I ate there many times. It was decent run-of-the-mill food.

Po' Folks - oh, for the nights I spent there with their all you can eat chicken nights. (Seems like it was Sunday here when they did that.) But they closed in the late 1980s.

I think there are one or two Popeye's restaurants in Charlotte but on the other side of the city and not convenient to me. I haven't had any Popeye's chicken in a long time.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 07:11:42 AM »

OK, headed to read the notes now and to other internet sites, too, but

WBBL.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 07:51:35 AM »

Back now and ready to say good morning!

We have another beautiful day here with a high supposed to be around 80 and a low tonight of 50. That's QUITE a wide range of temperatures for a single day.

I'm feeling somewhat better today but clearly not quite 100% yet. Hopefully, as the day goes on and I continue to doctor myself, I will be fit enough to not only attend SEUSSICAL tonight but also enjoy it.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 07:56:08 AM »

As much as Charles Pogue loves donning a tux and stepping out, that's how much I LOATHE doing that. I've had to do it a few times for award show bashes here in town, but I really try to resist any party where the dress is formal.

The gala premiere of STAR! that I've often talked about here was a formal affair back in 1968. It was a champagne buffet held at the Carolina Theater as a benefit for some charity which I have now quite forgotten. At any rate, my father secured me an invitation, and I felt almost like Cinderfella at the ball amid all the swells in the city. I am quite sure I was the youngest member of that audience that night, but no one questioned my age as I drank a couple of champagne cocktails.

And the movie, of course, was wonderful even with cuts that had been made since its London premiere. Julie in my eyes then could do NO wrong.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 08:00:22 AM »

The other movie from last year that's now making appearances on pay-cable is SIDEWAYS which I recorded last night.

So, tomorrow I will have both FINDING NEVERLAND and SIDEWAYS to watch. Both got lots of Oscar nominations and each won something at the ceremony (though not the big prizes - SIDEWAYS did win for screenplay as I recall and NEVERLAND for its score).

I'll probably start with NEVERLAND tomorrow.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2005, 08:07:54 AM »

Good Morning!

Ah, sleep.

Ah, the sound of rain NOT falling outside my window right now.  HOO and RAY!  -I haven't looked at today's forecast yet, but it's nice for now.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2005, 08:11:10 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.
Playing slowly, no doubt.  He's been getting lackadaisical lately.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2005, 08:14:25 AM »

As for Ritzy Bashes...

The Helen Hayes Awards in DC are usually very nice affairs.  It's basically one big cast party for the DC area theatrical community.  My favorite one was my the first one I attended when the awards were still held at the National Theatre.  Lots of notables - Lynn Redgrave, Robert Prosky, Kelly McGillis... And there was that great moment when the elevator opened up on the ballroom level of the Marriott next door, and there was Richard Kiley belting out "I, Don Quixote".  He was still THE Man of La Mancha.

Oh, and I guess the Opening and Closing nights of the Kennedy Center's Sondheim Celebration.  My favorite quote from one of those nights, "Where's the bar?" - Stephen Sondheim.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2005, 08:19:23 AM »

Well, I'm off to an event, neither ritzy nor a bash, but special nonetheless.  It's the 80th anniversary luncheon for the Middletown branch of the American Association of University Women, of which I've been a member for 25 years.  Today, I'm the official representative of the state board, so have to make a little speech.  Wish me luck - bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2005, 08:19:25 AM »

Playing slowly, no doubt.  He's been getting lackadaisical lately.

And speaking of playing slowly...  I got a good hour of practice in on the Joseph keyboard book yesterday.  It's not exactly hard, it's just tricky in some places.  It's one of those parts that I know will make sense once I get with the rest of the orchestra - especially a drummer and bass player.  I'm playing in "spaces" a bunch of times - I just need to hear my bookends.

We get three hours Tuesday morning (ugh) to run through the show, then sound check at 5:30, then show at 8:00 with Mr. Cassidy, Ms. Adams and company.  -And I just remembered that I had played some of the final callbacks for this tour - it will be interesting to see who got cast.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2005, 08:22:41 AM »

Well, I cannot afford to be LACKADAISICAL right now.  I need to organize some things around the apartment before heading out in a few.  We're starting the "big shift" - Nick, my friend I'm subletting from, will be bringing over some of his larger furniture.  Thankfully, most of my stuff is currently contained to six storage boxes and two big suitcases.  I just need to move stuff around so that he has room to set things down.  And then I just need to figure out if I'm going to head down to DC tomorrow or Monday.  Decisions, decisions.

Well...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2005, 08:25:42 AM »

Not being in show business or politics I have not really been to anything ritzy here in Orygun.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2005, 08:27:28 AM »

I must soon head up the freeway to West Linn where I will spend a good chunk of the day helping my buddies Mark and James paint the inside of their new house, getting it ready for them to move in to.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2005, 08:27:45 AM »

I thought I remembered seeing DR MBarnum in a tux in some of those NYC pictures.

Maybe not . . . .

:D

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2005, 08:31:30 AM »

I have some things to take care of around the house now, but should be back later before I head out to SEUSSICAL tonight.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2005, 08:39:37 AM »

TOD:

There have been many political bashes that der Brucer has dragged taken me to.  The most memorable was one where Ms. Jeanne Kirkpatrick was the keynote speaker.  Her speach was particularly interesting, focusing on Nazi Germany and the mindset of the public that allowed the atrocities to take place during WWII.  About half-way through her speach, however, right at the point where she would have connected her observations of the past with the present, she either lost her way or lost her nerve.  The speech became a hopeless muddle, which I found both hilarious and sad at the same time.  After all, if anyone in her audience had followed her thinking to it's logical conclusion, they would have realized that she was about to accuse them of the hateful thinking that had dominated the '30s and '40s.  Fortunately (or unfortunately), few of her target was on track enough to make the connection.

The other ritziest party I've been to was a fundraiser for the International City Theater Company, in Long Beach, CA.  We wore our tuxes (neither der B nor I does justice to a fine ball gown), and dined and mingled with celebs and pols.  Nell Carter was at our table, and a fine and warm person she was, discussing her sons and child-raising with the others at the table.  Jodi Benson was the featured entertainer, and was in fine voice that night.  Plus, der B walked away with several prizes from the silent auction.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up