Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HANDS ON THE CLOCK  (Read 23808 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE HANDS ON THE CLOCK
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2005, 07:33:51 AM »

TOD:
Some Disney stuff.  One in particular told (very briefly) the lives of some of the great composers, with (even briefer) snippets of their compositions.

Carnival of the Animals, of course.

Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, too.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2005, 07:36:10 AM »

The dancing I used to do in our garage while playing the above was, shall we say, interperative?   ::)  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2005, 07:38:49 AM »

Good moirning!

I awoke to a beautiful morning - not too cool at 63 but again a cloudless blue sky, and my walk was bracing!

However,a quick view at today's forecast, and it is to be 86 today! I thought we had left summer behind! Argh!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2005, 07:41:16 AM »

Grrrrrrrrr...

Two days ago I put a DVD into my shopping cart at Amazon.  Today, when I went to add another item to my cart, I discovered that the price of the DVD had increased from 11.98 to 13.98.  I checked the price of the same DVD on DeepDiscountsDVD and it was 9.98!

I wrote a quick note to Amazon asking them why I should place the order though them and not at DeepDiscounts, but I doubt I'll get a satisfying reply.

Grrrrrrrrrrr...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2005, 07:43:44 AM »

The only kid's records I can remember as a kid were some Disney records culled from their films, but not soundtrack recordings. For example, Darlene Gillespie from THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB made recordings of "Once Upon a Dream" from SLEEPING BEAUTY, and I played that endlessly since SLEEPING BEAUTY was my favorite movie.

Even though MGM made issuing soundtrack recordings common starting in the 1940s, I don't think I had access to any Disney soundtracks until I was a teenager. I loved all of the Disney films, and when I'd stumble across SNOW WHITE or PETER PAN on a Disneyland (budget-priced) soundtrack LP, I'd snatch it up. But some of those Disneyland albums, like ALICE IN WONDERLAND and LADY AND THE TRAMP were not  taken from the soundtracks but were studio albums with in-house singers doing the vocals. Those were always disappointments.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2005, 07:45:23 AM »

I'd order more often from Deep Discount but their free shipping is erratic. SOmetimes the order comes in a reasonable amount of time, and sometimes one waits weeks for in-stock items to arrive.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 07:46:26 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2005, 07:47:55 AM »

As a teen, I also found Danny Kaye Sings HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN and TUBBY THE TUBA and played it a lot. I also ADORED the comedy album THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS READ AESOP'S FABLES. It was designed for children, but it made me laugh as much as their regular comedy albums did.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2005, 07:58:22 AM »

Catching up:

Bumpers:  BK, virtually the same thing happened to DS Betsy (as a spectator, not a participant, thankfully) just a couple of days ago.  She called me from a parking lot downtown and she had that "I've just had an accident" voice (she's had a few, which is putting it diplomatically ;) ), but it turns out she had just witnessed the very same thing happen that happened to you--a lady was pulling out of a space, hooked the bumper of the car next to her and pulled both her and the other car's bumpers clean off.  She then was trying to stick her bumper back on her car.  Betsy said behind her bumper was a big styrofoam piece that had also fallen off.  Yes, bumpers are a joke, as any crash test dummy will tell you.   ;D

Mystery solved, I think, department:  The hits are still coming fast and furious on my Farmer article.  I noticed that almost all of them were coming from MSN searches, so I went to MSN and it turns out they have a "cover story" on "Explosive Roles for Women in Film," featuring, of course, Jessica Lange as Frances, so I think these are people reading that article and then wanting to find out more.  I've had more web hits in the last few days than I normally get in a month.

7 Faces of Dr. Lao:  This is not (repeat, not) a joke--Michael Jackson owns the rights to this film and has been talking about starring in a remake of it for years.  Let the jokes begin.....

TOD:  I had the red vinyl Gene Autry "Rudolph" album that I loved, and also the 45 of "Mr. Ed," that I remember playing over and over.  I have never been able to find the LP version of Stoo Hample's The Silly Book (called, appropriately, The Silly Record).  I would love to get a copy of that.

Powerball:   :'(  (Does that tell you how we did?).  Now of course I'm wondering if I will end up knowing any of the winners (Oregon had 5, count 'em, 5 winners, including the big jackpot winner.  The other 4 won $850K each, not a bad prize).  To quote Amanda Green:  every time a friend of mine succeeds, a little piece of me dies.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 08:01:36 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2005, 07:58:36 AM »

Thanks for the SUPERMAN DVD info, DR MATTH.

Commentaries by Larson or Coates would be the only ones I would be interested in, since you and I (and many others on the board) know as much about SUPERMAN tv as any of the "experts" they might find and record.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2005, 07:59:03 AM »

TOD:  

Mary Poppins soundtrack
Snoopy and the Red Baron (featuring the Royal Guardians)
Charlie Brown and Lucy (featuring Kaye Ballard and Arthur Seigle)
The Animal Supermarket (this was pressed on a bright red, heavy-duty disk that played no matter how scratched up it got.  It might have been a 78)
Hey, There, It's Yogi Bear!--this was a send-away from Keloggs that I absolutely loved!  
More Mother Goose -- More Mother Goose? Where was the rest?  This was was part of my "Fun to Play at 78 rpm" collection.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2005, 07:59:24 AM »

DR JMK - I hear ya!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2005, 08:00:33 AM »

-Steve Allen's HOW TO THINK
-Sesame Street Book and Record, which contained the great Joe Raposo song, "Somebody Come and Play"
-THE SPACE ALPHABET on Golden Records
-BURL IVES sings "The Little White Duck" and others
The LET'S PRETEND series, which featured rather frightening versions of fairy tales. "The Goose Girl" was particularly scary.

The 45 "Yes We Have No Bananas" by Spike Jones

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2005, 08:01:23 AM »

DR MATTH is correct about DDD delivery - so anything I WANT and MUST HAVE that I am not going to get at WalMart or Target (surprisingly well-priced DVD's) I get at Amazon.  Otherwise, I wait....and wait....and wait.

And yes those Disney NON-soundtracks were always disappointing to bring home.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....especially since the Disneyland singers were NEVER too swift to begin with.  I can bet tbat Walt scraped the bottom of the barrel for a lot of them....   And they are still being sold!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2005, 08:02:33 AM »

Oh we had some Big Band instrumentals on 45....I didn't know the songs, so I wrote my own lyrics!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2005, 08:03:29 AM »

The Royal Guardsmen, Dan(TM). :)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2005, 08:04:53 AM »

The WINNIE THE POOH Disneyland LP is magnificent. It features the real voice of Pooh, though not Tigger, but great arrangements by the late Camarata.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2005, 08:09:33 AM »

Last night, I went to see a play two friends of mine were in and another directed, a kind of whirlwind tour through the life of Edith Wharton. It was well-done.

While I had time to kill, I stopped by the Virgin Megastore, and there I did purchase HALLELUJAH I'M A BUM! And you know, if BK did not get in a fender bender, I never would have ended up buying that DVD. Funny thing that.

Also, I found that 50 Musicals box set, and bought it, because I've been wanting to see THE GREAT GABBO. DIXIANA is also on there, so that's a bonus.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2005, 08:10:45 AM »

DR MATTH is correct about DDD delivery - so anything I WANT and MUST HAVE that I am not going to get at WalMart or Target (surprisingly well-priced DVD's) I get at Amazon.  Otherwise, I wait....and wait....and wait.

And yes those Disney NON-soundtracks were always disappointing to bring home.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....especially since the Disneyland singers were NEVER too swift to begin with.  I can bet tbat Walt scraped the bottom of the barrel for a lot of them....   And they are still being sold!

You're right about Target and Wal-Mart (and Circuit City) having good DVD prices. None of those stores are very close to me, so I have to figure in gas prices and sales tax when I'm deicidng if I'll internet order or drive to Wal-Mart to pick up something. It also depends if I'm going there anyway to get needed household items like soap or toothpaste or duct tape (!) .

I bought a couple of those Disney storybook albums because they had the songs taken from soundtrack surrounded by some woman reading the story. But at least the songs were from the films and one had an easier time reliving the excitement of the movie listening to them.

If someone had told me when I was growing up that I would one day be able to own home copies of all of those Disney films I rushed to see every time they appeared, I would NOT have been able to contain my excitement and desire for time to pass so we could get to the home video era. I still find it hard to believe I can watch FANTASIA or DUMBO whenever I want to.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2005, 08:12:51 AM »

7 Faces of Dr. Lao:  This is not (repeat, not) a joke--Michael Jackson owns the rights to this film and has been talking about starring in a remake of it for years.  Let the jokes begin.....

THE 20.5 FACES OF DR P. ED O'PHYLE?

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO DR LO'S NOSE?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 08:17:57 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2005, 08:14:33 AM »

DIXIANA - a hopelessly flat, dated early talkie musical.

I couldn't live without it.

Wonder if we'll ever get RIO RITA?  :D

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2005, 08:15:47 AM »

DR ROn, I'm glad you liked THE 7 FACES OF DR. LAO. It is one of my all-time favorite fantasy films, and just reading your reaction made me long to see it again soon.

I also adore that sprightly theme music Leigh Harline came up with for the film.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2005, 08:16:31 AM »

The WINNIE THE POOH Disneyland LP is magnificent. It features the real voice of Pooh, though not Tigger, but great arrangements by the late Camarata.

I always liked the ALICE IN WONDERLAND lp, which was the only form available since the soundtrack was tied up in a rights problem, if I remember correctly.  Darlene Gillespie certainly sang better than Kathryn Beaumont, and the "March of the Card" orchestration was quite nice.  Some of the character voices were pathetic, alas, but it was a great fill-in until the soundtrack became available.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2005, 08:18:55 AM »

Boy, you're right about Kathryn Beaumont (though she was better in PETER PAN). "All in the GOlden Afternoon" is almost painful to listen to (but, of course, that's the charm of her performance).

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2005, 08:22:48 AM »

I think I had a condensed version of that on 45s. The heavenly choir lead-in to "I'm Late" was really cool.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2005, 08:24:43 AM »

Forgot to mention in my catching up post:  Gregg Toland once stated that Frances Farmer was the most beautiful woman he ever photographed, which is high praise indeed.  And she never looked more radiant than she did in "Come and Get It," the film Toland photographed her in.

Disney/Disneyland soundtracks:  Well, try growing up in a household with a Sears manager for a father.  :)  Sears used to issue its own knock-off "soundtracks" and I'll never forget how angry I was at my Dad when he brought home the Sears version of Mary Poppins when my best friend Corey had just gotten the "real" soundtrack.  I think this was the beginning of that long slippery slope of collecting "authentic" items.   :P
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2005, 08:24:57 AM »

A name for a 60s counterculture anti-folk band:

The Old Christy Wastrels

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2005, 08:28:24 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!.

I slept in!  I slept in!

Again!  Again!

So....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2005, 08:29:04 AM »

Oh... and I have a production meeting for Damn Yankees in two hours....

So...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2005, 08:31:50 AM »

DR Jrand - As for Joseph - Patrick Cassidy - a blond(!) Patrick Cassidy - is playing the title character.  *I chatted with him briefly last night during intermission since we have a few friends in common who wanted me to pass on their greetings.... Very nice, and very(!) trim - skinnier than I expected.  But I digress....

And Amy Adams of "American Idol" fame is The Narrator.

They sound great from down in the pit.

*I also spied they guy playing Pharaoh(Elvis) last night...  Boy does he look good in that gold wrap thing around his waist.

:P
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 08:32:13 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2005, 08:34:33 AM »

Childrens' Records...

Hmm...

"The Chipmunks" albums
"Peter, Paul and Mary" albums
Some of those Disney story ones, especially "Winnie the Pooh"

...and then there was my parents' collection of Easy Listening boxed sets - "101 Strings", "Montovani Strings", etc...  They boxes are what fascinated me the most - it was just such neat packaging.  And the music inside wasn't that bad either.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up