Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HANDS ON THE CLOCK  (Read 23806 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE HANDS ON THE CLOCK
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2005, 08:35:59 AM »

OK - I need to get ready to head in... I'll be going from the meeting to the show tonight, so I'll be errant and truant again for most of the day...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2005, 08:36:06 AM »

Powerball update:  They just announced the winning ticket was sold in southern Oregon.

Jane....Keith....remember who sent you the lovely flowers as you drive to Salem to claim your winnings.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2005, 08:36:21 AM »

OH!  I started Page Three!!

Once again...

Laters....
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2005, 08:38:55 AM »

Yes, DR JMK, like those Ed Sullivan Presents MY FAIR LADY that you could buy at the grocery store.

Not quite the cast recordings. OK in a pinch, but I wanted the real things.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2005, 08:41:12 AM »

I don't know exactly what I'll watch today from the DVR. Naturally VERONICA MARS will get watched, and probably last night's LAW & ORDER, too, since for a change I watched INVASION live and recorded L&O.

I have all those Val Lewton films recorded off TCM last night, and since most of them are just a little over an hour, I'll try to get through one or two of them as well. I have to clear some space to record some shows tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2005, 08:42:05 AM »

Just a note to DC comic book fans:

Aquaman AND Brainiac make appearances on SMALLVILLE tonight. Can't miss TV, I'd say.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2005, 08:46:56 AM »

DR ROn, I'm glad you liked THE 7 FACES OF DR. LAO. It is one of my all-time favorite fantasy films, and just reading your reaction made me long to see it again soon.

I also adore that sprightly theme music Leigh Harline came up with for the film.

It's been too long since I've seen DR. LAO.  I'll have to check the TCM website to see if it's coming up shortly.  If not, it'll be another item in the Amazon shopping cart.

So what would y'all prefer:  a DR. LAO Broadway musical or a movie remake (supply the stars and creative team.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2005, 08:51:05 AM »

Just got handed Sondheim Sings Volume II, 1946-60. Cool.

FJL

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2005, 08:53:19 AM »

TOD:

For some reason, as a young kid, I had a real affinity for the MARY POPPINS album that came out that featured Marni Nixon - actually preferred it to the soundtrack.

Used to love a song called "Dilly Dally" (I can still remember the lyric "When it's worth doing, do it well, Not like a turtle in its shell, just keep your eyes wide open and run pell-mell."  But I always thought they were singing about Pell-Mell Cigarettes so found it confusing - catchy but confusing.)

Loved the H.R. Pufnstuf collection of songs, especially "Oranges Smoranges" sung by Witchie-poo.

And the title song from the Banana Splits TV show.

There was also a song that I totally loved called "Fire Island Ferry" which I had the 45 for, but have since been unable to locate.  (It had the lyric "Get ready, world, another weekend lover is coming" which when I was a kid I took to mean that the singer just loved the weekends.  :)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2005, 08:54:30 AM »

The GREENWILLOW cast LP was a hard one to locate for me for awhile. Imagine the torment of coming across an album GREENWILLOW!, then in small print, "some cheapo orchestra presents the music from..."

Though now, I would buy the instrumental album, just because it's odd that such a thing was created for a musical that didn't run very long.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2005, 08:57:59 AM »

I never heard that Marni Nixon/MARY POPPINS, but I always thought the irony of that was delicious.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2005, 08:59:35 AM »

As for a new episode of LOST not coming on for three weeks:

You know they never have more than four or five new episodes of any show in a row before reruns set in. They make 22-24 shows to go through a 40 week TV season, so reruns have to show up sometimes, especially since they have to save new episodes for the sweeps months of November, February, and May.

It's just business as usual.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2005, 09:00:50 AM »

Now, I'm off to start prepping lunch, but will be back later after having watched some stuff.

Jason

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2005, 09:05:58 AM »

When I was a kid I listened to a lot of the Disney albums. They had Picture Discs - clear LPs with photo collages inside.  I loved them. I had MARY POPPINS, THE FOX AND THE HOUND, LADY AND THE TRAMP and a few others. I also enjoyed the soundtrack to THE MUPPET MOVIE. Not only did I enjoy a good Disney or Muppet record, but I also listened to the music that my mom listened to. I remember listening to 45's and 33's with her - Franki Valli, Juice Newton, Barbra Streisand, Rod Stewart and Diana Ross and the Supremes. We used to dance around the living room while listening to "Oh What a Night (December, 1963)."

When we moved to England, I discovered two new things - cassette tapes and Story Teller. Story Teller was a bi-monthly children's magazine that featured short stories and songs and each magazine came with a cassette tape. The tape featured British celebs reading the stories in the magazines so you could read along, complete with sound effects and music. Sort of like radio theatre for kids. I LOVED those Story Tellers and had a pretty complete collection of them. I'm not sure where they are now. They certainly helped me learn to read, though, and they kept me busy, which kept my parents happy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2005, 09:13:12 AM »

Disney/Disneyland soundtracks:  Well, try growing up in a household with a Sears manager for a father.  :)  Sears used to issue its own knock-off "soundtracks" and I'll never forget how angry I was at my Dad when he brought home the Sears version of Mary Poppins when my best friend Corey had just gotten the "real" soundtrack.  I think this was the beginning of that long slippery slope of collecting "authentic" items.   :P

I remember when Mom came home from either Korvettes or Two Guys and presented me with a Mary Poppins soundtrack knock-off.  I immediately knew it wasn't the real thing because the cover (a rather dark picture of MP landing with her umbrella on the street to an awaiting Michael, Jane and Bert) was not the same as the cover that was featured in the record club ads, but I gamely played it anyway.  Fortunately, my mom (from whom I inherited very discriminating ears) stopped by to listen and agreed with me that it didn't sound like Julie Andrews or Dick Van Dyke were singing.  The following week, the actual Buena Vista soundtrack was in my mitts.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2005, 09:18:03 AM »

I found this online. Here is the front of the LADY AND THE TRAMP Picture Disc...

Jason

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2005, 09:18:54 AM »

And here's the back...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2005, 09:24:58 AM »

Sadly, the power ball was not won by me, because I did not buy a ticket  :(

The Washington State lottery has a couple of slogans:

"You can't win if you don't play."

and

"Chances of winning, 1 in 7 million...siginificantly higher if you don't play."

I haven't seen a lottery commercial in several years, but they were very cute and humerous. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2005, 09:27:25 AM »

As for children's albums, my sister and I had the Banana Splits TV soundtrack (I got a CD of it earlier this year!) and several British group compilations sold by either Ronco or K-Tel!

I can also vaguely remember having several 45s (but you played them on 33 1/3 speed) that were of (mostly) old American folk songs.  "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" is the only one that I can think of right now, but once in a while, I remember fragments of another song about trains or something like that.

We had one of those record players that you closed the cover to play them but my parents also had another record player that had four speeds!  78, 45, 33 1/3 and 16!  Anyone ever hear of something like this?  We used to have a lot of fun playing different records at all the different speeds.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2005, 09:28:59 AM »

Did anyone else ever think the song was actually "My body lies over the ocean?" It always concerned me as a child...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2005, 09:35:18 AM »

7 Faces of Dr. Lao:  This is not (repeat, not) a joke--Michael Jackson owns the rights to this film and has been talking about starring in a remake of it for years.  Let the jokes begin.....

Only one springs to mind....

The 7 Noses of Dr. Lao
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:35:43 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2005, 09:36:22 AM »

Did anyone else ever think the song was actually "My body lies over the ocean?" It always concerned me as a child...

I remember hearing it as "bunny".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2005, 09:39:29 AM »

Oh yes, we were SURE it was "My body lies over the ocean..."  We were SSURE!

My first couple of record players also play 16 3/4 or some other fraction.  And yes we played records at different speeds to hear how they sounded.  That's how I heard David Seville singing the Chipmonks in a regular voice.  Although my favorite Chipmonk album was The Chipmonks Sing The Beatles!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2005, 09:40:11 AM »

I can't watch Dr Lao because I just can't take its leading man.

I would be all for a remake with someone (almost ANYONE) else.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2005, 09:40:53 AM »

The 7 Faces of Dr Jackson

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2005, 09:41:40 AM »

Thanks for the JOSEPH info, DRJOSE.  Oh yes, Patrick Cassidy, very nice.  I forget what I saw him in, but I thought he was a good singer and easy on the eyes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2005, 09:48:01 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

I used to love Whitmore and Lowe, although I can't remember which of their albums I had.  Loved them, Ferrante and Teicher, and Gold and Fizdale.

Love to hear some opposing opinions to Batman Begins - then we can do our own version of Ebert and Roeper right here at haineshisway.com.

I love instrumental versions of shows and have since I was a wee sprig of a twig of a tad of a lad of a youth.  A surprising number of flops got instrumental or jazz versions - Greenwillow, Here's Love, Subways are for Sleeping, are three off the top of my head.  What they were doing on top of my head is anyone's guess.  And where is anyone?

Jason

« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2005, 09:54:35 AM »

The 7 Faces of Dr Jackson

The 7 Faces of Michael Jackson?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:59:58 AM by Jason »

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2005, 09:58:26 AM »

My favorite records as as small child were a Disney's Bambi LP. It had all the original songs from the movie and a lady narrating the story. I also had Snow White, Cinderella, and a couple of others, but the Bambi one was the one that I loved.

Also listened to an album of Swan Lake over and over again, as well as one of The Grand Canyon Suite.

Jason

« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2005, 10:01:27 AM »

Drip, drip, drop little April showers...
Beating a tune as you fall all around...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up